Scheduling a secured access app with macro security

Environment:  Acess 2003 with security via MDW file.

A person would like their app to be run via the scheduler in the
nighttime.  This seems fairly straight forward.  But there is a glitch.

The people have macro security set to medium.  So when the username and
password are passed, the application does not immediately open but then
warns the user that the app could be dangerous to open.

For me, I simply set the macro security to low for my development work.
  However, I don't know if IT would accept or reject me doing so.

This app is a main app in use at the company and should be trusted.
However, they don't have Vista so there is no "trusted" zone capability.

Is there any reason for the users not to have the macro security set to
low?  When I watch the users log in to the app, the security message is
simply is another dialog box to press the button on via a mouse.  The
security dialog box, useful perhaps the first time entering the app, is
now simply another step to enter the app.  I doubt the users even look
at the message in the dialog box, simply press the button to get access
into the system.

So, my question.  If IT rejects a low security setting, how do you get
beyond the macro security dialog box in a scheduling script?  Would you
recommend using Sendkeys to pass a right arrow/Enter in the scheduling
script to execute the dialog box?

Macro security is global.  If one sets macro security to low, then ALL
apps use that setting.  If medium, all apps use that setting.  One would
assume each app can have its own macro setting.  Oh well, its not for me
to question why, its for me to do and die.

0
oil (4047)

Hi, Salad

Salad wrote:
> Environment:  Acess 2003 with security via MDW file.
>
> A person would like their app to be run via the scheduler in the
> nighttime.  This seems fairly straight forward.  But there is a
> glitch.
> The people have macro security set to medium.  So when the username
> and password are passed, the application does not immediately open
> but then warns the user that the app could be dangerous to open.
>
> For me, I simply set the macro security to low for my development
>  work. However, I don't know if IT would accept or reject me doing so.
>
> This app is a main app in use at the company and should be trusted.
> However, they don't have Vista so there is no "trusted" zone
> capability.
> Is there any reason for the users not to have the macro security set
> to low?  When I watch the users log in to the app, the security
> message is simply is another dialog box to press the button on via a
> mouse.  The security dialog box, useful perhaps the first time
> entering the app, is now simply another step to enter the app.  I
> doubt the users even look at the message in the dialog box, simply
> press the button to get access into the system.
>
> So, my question.  If IT rejects a low security setting, how do you get
> beyond the macro security dialog box in a scheduling script?  Would
> you recommend using Sendkeys to pass a right arrow/Enter in the
> scheduling script to execute the dialog box?
>
> Macro security is global.  If one sets macro security to low, then ALL
> apps use that setting.  If medium, all apps use that setting.  One
> would assume each app can have its own macro setting.  Oh well, its
> not for me to question why, its for me to do and die.

Signed macros might be a solution:

http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC011615881033

By
Jens

Jens Schilling wrote:
> Hi, Salad

Hi Jens.  Thanks for the tip.

> Signed macros might be a solution:
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC011615881033

It was looking good but when I pressed the Digital Certs For VBA, in the
blurb about it in the dialog box that is presented, it says it will only
trust a cert that was created on that machine.  Users on other machines
will receive a warning.  Since there will be other users using the FE
app, that doesn't correct the issue unfortunately.  If the cert was
distributable, it might be workable.  I suppose I distribute an unsigned
mdb and ask the folks to create their own cert but I don't know if that
will fly.  I guess I could see how much a professional cert costs, see
if the company wants it.

0
oil (4047)
8/11/2009 12:22:52 PM
On Aug 11, 6:22=A0am, Salad <o...@vinegar.com> wrote:
> Jens Schilling wrote:
> > Hi, Salad
>
> Hi Jens. =A0Thanks for the tip.
>
> > Signed macros might be a solution:
>
> >http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=3DRC01161588.=
>
> It was looking good but when I pressed the Digital Certs For VBA, in the
> blurb about it in the dialog box that is presented, it says it will only
> trust a cert that was created on that machine. =A0Users on other machines
> will receive a warning. =A0Since there will be other users using the FE
> app, that doesn't correct the issue unfortunately. =A0If the cert was
> distributable, it might be workable. =A0I suppose I distribute an unsigne=
> mdb and ask the folks to create their own cert but I don't know if that
> will fly. =A0I guess I could see how much a professional cert costs, see
> if the company wants it.

have you looked at the Selfcert.exe file on the Office CD that creates
a certificate
0
lesperancer (750)
8/11/2009 2:06:23 PM
Roger wrote:
> On Aug 11, 6:22 am, Salad <o...@vinegar.com> wrote:
>
>>Jens Schilling wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, Salad
>>
>>Hi Jens.  Thanks for the tip.
>>

>>>Signed macros might be a solution:
>>
>>>http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC01161588...
>>
>>It was looking good but when I pressed the Digital Certs For VBA, in the
>>blurb about it in the dialog box that is presented, it says it will only
>>trust a cert that was created on that machine.  Users on other machines
>>will receive a warning.  Since there will be other users using the FE
>>app, that doesn't correct the issue unfortunately.  If the cert was
>>distributable, it might be workable.  I suppose I distribute an unsigned
>>mdb and ask the folks to create their own cert but I don't know if that
>>will fly.  I guess I could see how much a professional cert costs, see
>>if the company wants it.
>

> have you looked at the Selfcert.exe file on the Office CD that creates
> a certificate

I have.  Perhaps I did not understand what I read.  It sounded like it
worked on my machine only.  That if I distributed an app, they people
that used it would still get warnings...that is was only good for the
machine I certified it on.
0
oil (4047)
8/11/2009 2:15:18 PM
Salad wrote:

> That if I distributed an app, they people
> that used it would still get warnings...that is was only good for the
> machine I certified it on.

Why the guilty conscience now?  Use the self-cert to sign the
application on the machine used to schedule the task and let the users
click on the button to open the potentially dangerous application
without reading the warning, just like they always have.  ;o)
0
GigamiteDB (12)
8/11/2009 2:57:23 PM
Gigamite wrote:
> Salad wrote:
>
>> That if I distributed an app, they people that used it would still get
>> warnings...that is was only good for the machine I certified it on.
>

> Why the guilty conscience now?  Use the self-cert to sign the
> application on the machine used to schedule the task and let the users
> click on the button to open the potentially dangerous application
> without reading the warning, just like they always have.  ;o)

No guilty conscience.  It slows the opening of the app.  Over the year,
several hours are probably generated from the group as they wait for
that message, then press the OK button.  I was hoping for more
productivity, not less.
0
oil (4047)
8/11/2009 4:13:38 PM
On Aug 11, 10:13=A0am, Salad <o...@vinegar.com> wrote:
> Gigamite wrote:
> > Salad wrote:
>
> >> That if I distributed an app, they people that used it would still get
> >> warnings...that is was only good for the machine I certified it on.
>
> > Why the guilty conscience now? =A0Use the self-cert to sign the
> > application on the machine used to schedule the task and let the users
> > click on the button to open the potentially dangerous application
> > without reading the warning, just like they always have. =A0;o)
>
> No guilty conscience. =A0It slows the opening of the app. =A0Over the yea=
r,
> several hours are probably generated from the group as they wait for
> that message, then press the OK button. =A0I was hoping for more
> productivity, not less.

so, you want the macro security as is for all apps except this app
and for this app, because it opens slowly, you want a lower macro
security level ?

I wonder if you can create a small mdb (or a vb script), that opens
quickly with the higher security level, which then opens the 'slow'
app, first setting the security level to low ?
0
lesperancer (750)
8/11/2009 7:50:14 PM
Roger wrote:

> On Aug 11, 10:13 am, Salad <o...@vinegar.com> wrote:
>
>>Gigamite wrote:

>>>Why the guilty conscience now?  Use the self-cert to sign the
>>>application on the machine used to schedule the task and let the users
>>>click on the button to open the potentially dangerous application
>>>without reading the warning, just like they always have.  ;o)
>>
>>No guilty conscience.  It slows the opening of the app.  Over the year,
>>several hours are probably generated from the group as they wait for
>>that message, then press the OK button.  I was hoping for more
>>productivity, not less.
>

> so, you want the macro security as is for all apps except this app
> and for this app, because it opens slowly, you want a lower macro
> security level ?
>
> I wonder if you can create a small mdb (or a vb script), that opens
> quickly with the higher security level, which then opens the 'slow'
> app, first setting the security level to low ?

I shouldn't have attempted humor.  It didn't carry over.  The app's
security level, in production, is set to medium.  On my development
machine, I could care less and have set macro security to low.

However, if IT says "Keep it medium", then when the app opens the
warning message of malicious software appears.  If I call the app to
open it from Scheduler, I can get thru the MDW security ok, I was simply
wondering how folks got past the macro security warning.

A one year digital cert would work.  It's about $500 for 1 year, 1200
for 3 years.  I don't know if the company wants to shell out $1200 for a
method to limit security messages simply to avoid a popup message.

So how do you get around the macro security message?  Or how would you
do so if opening the app were automated?

0
oil (4047)
8/11/2009 10:19:13 PM
Salad <oil@vinegar.com> wrote:

>A one year digital cert would work.  It's about $500 for 1 year, 1200
>for 3 years.  I don't know if the company wants to shell out $1200 for a
>method to limit security messages simply to avoid a popup message.

There are much cheaper solutions out there.

https://secure.ksoftware.net/code_signing_payment.html

But try installing that self signed certificate on another PC.

Or ask your IT dept to create one on Windows Server that you might be able to somehow
publish to your work stations.   I've read the occasional posting indicating this
works but don't have any detailed instructions.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
ttoews (2789)

Salad wrote:
> Jens Schilling wrote:
> Hi Jens.  Thanks for the tip.
>
>> Signed macros might be a solution:
>>
>> http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC011615881033
>>

> It was looking good but when I pressed the Digital Certs For VBA, in
> the blurb about it in the dialog box that is presented, it says it
> will only trust a cert that was created on that machine.  Users on
> other machines will receive a warning.  Since there will be other
> users using the FE app, that doesn't correct the issue unfortunately.
> If the cert was distributable, it might be workable.  I suppose I
> distribute an unsigned mdb and ask the folks to create their own cert
> but I don't know if that will fly.  I guess I could see how much a
> professional cert costs, see if the company wants it.

Before doing so let me hint you to the following PDF-File:

http://www.ptatechnologies.com/Documents/Access2003_MacroSecurity.pdf

You may not only find an possible alternative mentioned within it (
makecert ) but it also contains a couple of links regarding makecert and the
whole  security  problematic.

By
Jens

Jens Schilling wrote:

> Hi, Salad
>
> Salad wrote:
>
>>Jens Schilling wrote:
>>Hi Jens.  Thanks for the tip.
>>

>>>Signed macros might be a solution:
>>>
>>>http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC011615881033
>>>

>>It was looking good but when I pressed the Digital Certs For VBA, in
>>the blurb about it in the dialog box that is presented, it says it
>>will only trust a cert that was created on that machine.  Users on
>>other machines will receive a warning.  Since there will be other
>>users using the FE app, that doesn't correct the issue unfortunately.
>>If the cert was distributable, it might be workable.  I suppose I
>>distribute an unsigned mdb and ask the folks to create their own cert
>>but I don't know if that will fly.  I guess I could see how much a
>>professional cert costs, see if the company wants it.
>

> Before doing so let me hint you to the following PDF-File:
>
> http://www.ptatechnologies.com/Documents/Access2003_MacroSecurity.pdf
>
> You may not only find an possible alternative mentioned within it (
> makecert ) but it also contains a couple of links regarding makecert and the
> whole  security  problematic.
>
> By
> Jens

Thanks much.
0
oil (4047)

Access Database Security

MS Access Security FAQ
On Page 3: "1. What are the steps to secure a database? [...] You may elect not to use the Security Wizard and to secure the database manually by following these steps. [Steps 1 thru 6] 7. Open the database that you want to secure and run the Security Wizard." Why would the steps to NOT use the Security Wizard include a step to USE the Security Wizard? Any help appreciated. -- croy ...

security problem with ms-access?
hi list, since a couple of weeks we face a special "security" problem. neraly every ms-access database that is located on our net-drives cannot be opened. when clicking the document's icon, first, the warning message arises "open document - security message" - "Really open *.mdb ....?", second, when clicking "start" ms-access starts, but the mdb-file cannot be opened. message: "ms-access could not open the file ... The file is located outside the intranet or on a website that is considered to be insecure. ms-access therefore will not open the document because of possible security problems" (translation from the german dialogs - somediffeences to the original english dailog can be assumed) when copying the file to a local hard disk, it works again. butthat's not the idea of an intra-enterprise database, is it? any ideas how to come over that ???? thanx in advance norbert ps. some of these mdb-files are replicated ... norbert On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 04:58:00 -0700 (PDT), novak <norbert.neuwirth@oif.ac.at> wrote: Did you deploy the applications on each workstation, per best practices? -Tom. >hi list, > >since a couple of weeks we face a special "security" problem. neraly >every ms-access database that is located on our net-drives cannot be >opened. > >when clicking the document's icon, first, the warning message arises >"open document - security message" - &qu...

Secure Access 2000 database
I have a database that contains complaint information in regards to Law Enforcement. They need to have this database secure and out of reach for all but two users. (including me, they say). In other words, the data they place in this table is higly sensitive and no one other then a few users must have access to it. If there are design changes, they would like to give me access to make the changes and they lock it down again. Suggestions on accomplishing this, including 3rd party tools, would be great. I have read a bit about encryption and it doesn't appear to be able to accomplish their ...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are ...

how secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are there any security risks/holes that I should know about? Thanks in advance, Aaron PS I do have access to Tomcat, but have been unable to figure out how to set it up (this is my first time setting up security for a site) - so if anyone has any tips/links that information would be most appreciated. Thanks again. ...

MS Access Security Troubleshooting Guide
Existing Access Database Troubleshooting I am new to access database and inherited an access application and all users who were previously able to use this access file simulataneously are now locked out exclusively . Some have not been able to get on at all. Obviously, this is the problem, and as far as I know, no changes have been made to access backend or front end. I have no historical data as to whether or not the access db was secured previously,..) This access db is on a network share, and i have no knowledge if it's verifying against a .mdw file on the network or on a computer som...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Access 2003 Macro Security #3
I understand that when using Access 2003, the security settings prevent the VBA code from running correctly and need to be set to the Low setting. My question is: Can this be done automatically using VBA, in other words, when my DB opens can it check to see if running Access 2003 and if so then change the macro security settings to low? Regards "Ntl News Group" <ian.sexton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:RWqph.35348$1W1.6135@newsfe4-win.ntli.net... >I understand that when using Access 2003, the security settings prevent the >VBA code from running correctly <...

securing access
I've secured my Access database by creating an MDE file because it contains confidential data. However, I find that anyone can simply use Microsoft Access to link to or import the tables in that MDE. How do I stop my MDE from sharing it's data to any application that requests it? An MDE is NOT security. All an MDE does is remove the source code from your forms, reports, macros, and modules so that no user can modify these objects. It does not affect tables and queries. The only way to restrict access in the way that you want is to implement Access Security. Explaining that...

Set security for only ONE Access database
I am using Access XP (Access 200 available also if that makes any difference), and am trying to set up security for one (and only one) Access database, but each time I do that every Access database on my computer starts prompting for username and password. How do I set security for just the one database? TIA Phil McIntosh you're probably altering the system.mdw workgroup file, or whatever it's called. And that's the one that access tries to open every access database with, unless you tell it otherwise. You'll need to create a separate .mdw file for the database you want t...

Access database table security
I need to deliver an Access accdb, tables for viewing data only, no front end. Is it possible to make the tables read-only so the user can only look at data but not edit? On Friday, March 15, 2013 10:22:16 AM UTC-5, bededo...@gmail.com wrote: > I need to deliver an Access accdb, tables for viewing data only, no front end. Is it possible to make the tables read-only so the user can only look at data but not edit? Send it as a PDF, lock it down, is an option. Maybe export to Excel and lock it down. Have it installed in an ReadOnly folder. Have your users open the database using a desktop icon with the command line setting it to read only On Friday, March 15, 2013 10:59:48 AM UTC-5, Patrick Finucane wrote: > On Friday, March 15, 2013 10:22:16 AM UTC-5, bededo...@gmail.com wrote: >=20 > > I need to deliver an Access accdb, tables for viewing data only, no fro= nt end. Is it possible to make the tables read-only so the user can only lo= ok at data but not edit? >=20 >=20 >=20 > Send it as a PDF, lock it down, is an option. Maybe export to Excel and = lock it down. Have it installed in an ReadOnly folder. Have your users op= en the database using a desktop icon with the command line setting it to re= ad only Thank you. I was afraid of as much. I know we can do tricks through a UI = to make data seem secure, but that does not help me in this case. The end = user will need to look at the data and query the data. We just do...

Web resources about - Scheduling a secured access app with macro security - comp.databases.ms-access

Round-robin scheduling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... process in equal portions and in circular order, handling all processes without priority (also known as cyclic executive ). Round-robin scheduling ...

Aug. 5 Scheduling Hearing Set For Eminem’s 8 Mile Style Copyright Suit Vs. Facebook, Wieden & Kennedy ...
A scheduling conference in the copyright-infringement lawsuit filed by 8 Mile Style , the song publisher for hip-hop superstar Eminem , against ...

Under the Hood: Scheduling MapReduce jobs more efficiently with Corona - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Scheduling MapReduce jobs more efficiently with Corona geschrieben. Du kannst ...

Facebook adds a new budget and scheduling button
When fast food restaurants implemented value meals, their sales skyrocketed. They were simply giving the user choice to streamline conversion. ...

The Importance of Scheduling Nothing
If you were to see my calendar, you'd probably notice a host of time slots greyed out but with no indication of what's going on. There is no ...

Less Meeting - Meeting Minutes, To-dos, Scheduling & more on the App Store on iTunes
Get Less Meeting - Meeting Minutes, To-dos, Scheduling & more on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

'Wrong midnight': New Year well-wishers tripped up by Twitter scheduling
Twitter users and companies are being outsmarted by technology &mdash; accidentally scheduling tweets a day early.

Scheduling could force Bernard Tomic to miss the Rio Olympics - The Courier-Mail Search Search
BERNARD Tomic is unsure whether he will be able to play at the Rio Olympics this year amid a scheduling squeeze.

Ugly and Meaningless Prime-Time NFL Games Creating Need for True Flex Scheduling - Bleacher Report
The NFL ’s Christmas present to its fans Thursday night is the awe-inspiring matchup of two teams that are not only out of playoff contention, ...

***Live Updates*** Fox News, Megyn Kelly Host GOP Town Hall in TX; Trump Skips Due to Scheduling Conflict ...
***Live Updates*** Fox News, Megyn Kelly Host GOP Town Hall in TX; Trump Skips Due to Scheduling Conflict