Search for text in a text field

Hi

When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input
and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many
records and then diplay the records which contains the input.

Thanks in advance,

Luke.

There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require.

Cheers,

Chris
"Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input
> and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many
> records and then diplay the records which contains the input.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Luke.

text + text

text-text

Unbound text box, text>255, MS Access/PostgreSQL
Hello. I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a commentary of a batch of records. There is a DAO Append Query that has a parameter that is passed from the text box using parameter of DAO QueryDef object. I adjusted B7 parameter (Text as LongVarchar) in connection string (ODBC driver) to 1, so that Access links PostgreSQL Text fields as Memo fields in Access. The intention was to be able to enter unlimited length commentary into the field. But, although I can enter unlimited text by using bound text box in some other forms, in this particular form I can't use bound control, so I need to pass text from UNBOUND control to the linked table by using DAO or ADO code. It seems that DAO query can't accept Memo as parameter, but only text. If my text exceeds length of 255, I have an VBA error 3271. If text in unbound text box is shorter that 255 everything is OK. So, is there any way to pass text of length >255 from unbound text box to Memo field of linked PostgreSQL table, by using DAO or ADO ? Thanks in advance, Zlatko On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 01:15:54 +0200, "Zlatko Mati�" <zlatko.matic1@sb.t-com.hr> wrote: >Hello. >I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: >There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a >commentary of a batch of records. >There is a DAO Append Query tha...

Text filtering in a text field
Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a text field in my form that is only to be with text, not any of the symbols (i.e. ~!@#$%^&* and so on). When the user input and saved the fields, those characters won't be allowed to be saved. What will be the best way to filter out only text? Only numbers? Terence <terrylau77@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and > filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a > text f...

rich text in text field

text field only for text
Hi I would like some help about the following : I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I limit this situation ? So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. TIA Paulo "Paulo Rodrigues" <amigo.alf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:<newscache$kgmtmh$bb1$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt>... > Hi > > I would like some help about the following : > > I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I > limit > this situation ? > > So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. > > TIA > Paulo Paulo, the online help is your FRIEND. Private Sub Text0_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) If KeyAscii >= 48 And KeyAscii <= 57 Then KeyAscii = 0 End If End Sub Just put this code in the KeyPress event of whatever text field you do not want to contain numbers. OR you could glue thumbtacks to the number keys on all your users keyboards... Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. Avoid magic numbers, especially when you can use builtin VBA constants. The following is a little more intuitive to read and a future developer does not have to lookup 48 and 57 to see exactly what is being blocked. Private Sub Text2_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) 'Cancel any numeric keys If KeyAscii >= vbKey0 And KeyAscii <= vbKey9 Then KeyAscii = 0 End If End Sub The above solu...

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want to throw away your C++ and use Microsoft Access for the job? If you want to keep C++, you can ask for C++ code in another newsgroup, because we'd just be guessing. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB
Heya! I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I can't get around the problem. I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string. I've tried: Chr(10) & Chr(13) Chr(13) & Chr(10 vbnewline vbcrlf none of which seem to work. I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] = 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'. At the moment, my code looks like this: celsql = celsql _ & "Program: " & encname _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf _ & "Start Time: " & sttim _ & vbCrLf _ & "Participants: " & numpart _ & vbCrLf _ & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _ & vbCrLf _ & "Client: " & clntnm _ & vbCrLf _ & "Contact: " & cntct _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just something about the text field... I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to 2003. I'd really appreciate any advice. Cheers, KG I've seen this type of problem before, but I typically just use a separate text box for each data field. Is there a par...

MS Qry and text field to date field
I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see it as a date. Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a solution and I have found nothing. Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query please let me know. /Thanks! wwolford wrote: > I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in > Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ > Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) > > > I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see > it as a date. > > Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a > solution and I have found nothing. > > Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query > please let me know. > > /Thanks! > In Access you could use DateSerial. Ex: x ="20070331" ? dateserial(left(x,4),Mid(x,5,2),mid(x,7,2)) ...

how to import text field from MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using ImportXML
Hi Guys, I'm trying to import data out of MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using ImportXML. I don't have any problems doing the import, except for one table with a "text" field defined. I'm getting an error message saying "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.". Thanks, Do you have to use ImportXML? Why can't you use the ODBC driver to MySQL? Linda <nepifanio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137431763.824498.100740@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi Guys, > > I'm trying to import data out of MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using > ImportXML. I don't have any problems doing the import, except for one > table with a "text" field defined. I'm getting an error message saying > "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to > add. Try inserting or pasting less data.". > > Thanks, > MS Access is not allowed to directly access the data from mysql db. The data from mysql db is exported in xml format using a system (with user login/password) and then imported into MS Access. I'm not exactly sure what cosmic events make it work for me, but I do it all the time. I access tables in a MySQL database using MS Access. I make edits and run reports. Linda <nepifanio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137532447.886457.233460@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > MS Acces...

Get the real type of columns from MS Access databases(OLEObject, text, memo, numeric)
Hello, I made one application that opens MS Access databases.And I have one problem.How can I find the real data type of columns(text, memo, OLEObject, numeric) like it is into Access.I tried with resultSetMetaData.getColumnType(columnIndex) but I receive java.sql.Types.I have two columns that contains OLEObjects(images).But I receive two different types for columns : VARCHAR once, and for second column SMALLINT.I only want to see the types like in Access(OLEObjects, Text, Numeric, Memo...).Thanks in advance! Best regards, Calin Pop ...

Tk text search and elided text
All, I'm having trouble understanding the following text widget behavior. I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.9. I've got a text widget with some elided text. A search returns the position L.C (properly), but a subsequent search starting at L.C for the same string fails to return L.C. However, a search with the option -elide does return L.C. The elided text is at the beginning of the line, a good 60 characters before the text in question. Here's the example: # -------------------------------- end toplevel .bfw pack [set t [text .bfw.t]] -expand 1 -fill both set elidetext "to elide" $t tag configure toelide -elide 1 $t insert end "random\n" $t insert end ${elidetext} toelide "something here missing instantiation\n" $t insert end ${elidetext} toelide "other text missing instantiation\n" puts [set res [$t search inst 1.0]] # prints 2.62 - proper starting point for 'inst' puts [$t search inst $res] # prints 3.57 - second occurrence of 'inst' puts [$t search -elide inst $res] # prints 2.62 - first occurrence of 'inst' # -------------------------------- end Am I doing something wrong? Is there some expectation I shouldn't have? I figured that all 3 searches should return 2.62. thanks, TJ bigfaceworm wrote: > All, > > I'm having trouble understanding the following text widget behavior. > I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.9. > ...

Text, search -regexp, elidden text
Hi. It has been a long time, but I'll spare you from tales how my Easter went, and stuff. No, I can't do that. You can skip starting from <here> all the way down there to next \n\n unless you are really interested. That I doubt. My Easter grass didn't grow and as a bonus even the seeds got mold. Dang. But otherwise, great time. Now to my point. I have been drooling for a while at {expand} but none seemed to be interested in wrapping Tcl alphas into Debian packages, and with very humble SparcStation 5 I was not that eager to compile it all by myself. However, I did, just to get that {expand}. After 7 hours of compiling and stuff there it was: my very own Tcl/Tk 8.5a2. Nope, not a3, cvs has next to never worked for me. After crying out loud for huge CPU impact from [clock] (that I read has not yet been optimized, so I forgive you .) I noticed that my highlights weren't working, like at all. So, using Tk/8.5a2: text .t ..t tag configure e -elide 1 ..t insert end "a\nb\nc" puts [.t search -regexp {b} 1.0] puts [.t search -regexp {c} 1.0] ..t tag add e 1.0 2.0 puts [.t search -regexp {b} 1.0] puts [.t search -regexp {c} 1.0] Where the heck is my b? I tried to g00gle for this, and I even pursued Sourceforge bug database to no avail. Or at least I didn't catch it. What I assume is that although [text] man page says "starting with index1 and ending just before index2 (the character at index2 isn't tagged)" the search...

Insert text file in a text field ...
Hallo, I have 2 questions: 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an sql instruction) ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table (by an sql instruction) ? Please, could you help me ? Thank you . Fab. On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 06:41:52 -0700, electric_r@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table > (by an sql instruction) ? > > Please, could you help me ? This is a task for the application program, not the database itself. -- A way of life that is odd or even erratic but interferes with no rights or interests of others is not to be condemned because it is different. -- Chief Justice Warren E. Burger electric_r@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table > (by an sql instruction) ? > > Please, could you help me ? > > Thank you . > > Fab. Look at the LOAD_FILE() function in the manual On 18 Oct, 14:41, electri...@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can...

Accessing text form fields name=field[label]

Search Text in Database
Hi, I would like to use keywords inside a record to search for - like a searchengine. How can I design the table? Right now I would store data in Memo-Column in a format like ";apple;banana;lemon;". I would use a INSTR(ring)-function - but I wonder if the performance is still OK then - even when I index the field. Are there maybe even better ways? Thanx in advance. Greg Each field in a given row should store one piece of information. Seperating your data with semicolons suggests that your storing multiple piecies of data in a field that should only be storing a single pei...

Searching on a text field
Hi all, I currently have a form with 3 text fields that I wish to use as my search criteria. I am having trouble constructing this. So, basically how can I use the text in these fields to serach for the required records in a table. Thanks in advance On 13 Aug 2004 01:55:51 -0700, Luke Jones wrote: > Hi all, > > I currently have a form with 3 text fields that I wish to use as my > search criteria. I am having trouble constructing this. So, basically > how can I use the text in these fields to serach for the required > records in a table. > > Thanks in advance In the query, using the appropriate form name and control name in each field to be searched, use something like: Like "*" & forms!FormName!ControlName & "*" The above will return records if the text in ControlName is found anywhere in that field. Like forms!FormName!ControlName & "*" will return records where the entered text is only at the beginning of the field. -- Fred Please only reply to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal email. ...

Old ms-access file, showing wrong text in access xp
Dear sirs: I've one old .mdb file ( since 97). now when I open it, it converts most of text to strange unicode characters. can I stop this conversion and ask access to just show original non-unicode characters? Thanks Bijan ...

Insert text file in a text field #3
Hallo, I have 2 questions: with php and mysql : 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table ? Please, could you help me with a simple example ? Thank you . Fab On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:36:59 +0200, <electric_r@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > with php and mysql : > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a > table ? > > Please, could you help me with a simple example ? mysql_query("INSERT INTO tablename (fieldname) VALUES ('".mysql_real_escape_string(file_get_contents('/path/to/file'))."')"); -- Rik Wasmus On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:29:54 +0200, Rik Wasmus <luiheidsgoeroe@hotmail.com> wrote: > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:36:59 +0200, <electric_r@yahoo.it> wrote: > >> Hallo, >> >> I have 2 questions: >> >> with php and mysql : >> >> 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? >> >> 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a >> table ? >> >> Please, could you help me with a simple example ? > > > mysql_query("INSERT INTO tablename (fieldname) VALUES > ('".mysql_real_escape_string(file_get_contents('/path/to/file'))."')...

Wrapping Text
I'm trying to export an Access table to a pipe-delimited text file (with no text qualifier) and it keeps wrapping the text for one of the tables. None of the fields are particularly long, so I'm not sure why it's doing this. Any ideas how I can stop it from wrapping the text in the text file? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200803/1 Leviathan wrote: >I'm trying to export an Access table to a pipe-delimited text file (with no >text qualifier) and it keeps wrapping the text for one of the tables. None of >the fields are particularly long, so I'm not sure why it's doing this. Any >ideas how I can stop it from wrapping the text in the text file? Nevermind, figured it out. Looks like there was a carriage return in defining one of the cells in the query. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200803/1 ...

SQL Server View integer field shows as text field in Access
Hi All! I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is defined as a text field in Access. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? Thanks in advance! KB On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:31:43 -0700 (PDT), kevinfbutt <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote: That's quite unusual. Can you post the SQL for that field in that view? What version of Access and SQL Server? Fully patched? Can you replicate the problem with a view in one of the SQL Server sample databases? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi All! > >I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer >field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is >defined as a text field in Access. > >Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >Thanks in advance! > >KB Is the column in the view the result of a calculation? If so, try applying the CAST or CONVERT function to coerce the result back into an integer. "kevinfbutt" <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote in message news:162bd7b3-e29e-4aba-bb57-e92bfd689684@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com... > Hi All! > > I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer > field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is > defined as a text field in Access. > > Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >...

Musatov exposes R.S.A. vulnerability: Blue highlight black text truncates black background text turning it white black foreground text remains in field.
505152535455565758595a5b5c5d5e5f606162636465666768696a6b6c6d6e6f7071 72737475767778797a7b7c7d7e7f808182838485868788898a8b8c8d8e8f909192939495969 798999a9b9c9d9e9fa0a1a2a3a4a5a6a7a8a9aaabacadaeafb0b1b2b3 505152535455565758595a5b5c5d5e5f606162HMAC/SHA-256 Large Correct: Superposition of lines 1 and 4 will correct R.S.A. example: http://il8n.co/test.html ...

Searching on a text field as integer
Hi, I have a table in Access 2000 with a text field named "dexp". Now I would like to search record trought this field using it like an integer field, so i write things like: "select * from card where dexp > 27" or something like that. the problem is that i can't use the funtions int, cint, clong (and similars) because there are some records that have in this field a null value. I don't know if also can affect that there are records with values like '00034', '00001', ...., with leading zeros instead of '34' and '1'. Anyone can help me? Thank U all! Josh wrote: > Hi, I have a table in Access 2000 with a text field named "dexp". > Now I would like to search record trought this field using it like an > integer field, so i write things like: > "select * from card where dexp > 27" or something like that. > > the problem is that i can't use the funtions int, cint, clong (and > similars) because there are some records that have in this field a > null value. > I don't know if also can affect that there are records with values > like '00034', '00001', ...., with leading zeros instead of '34' and > '1'. You could search for Val(Nz(dexp)), which returns the numerical value (or 0 for a Null because of the Nz() ) If you want to consider 27 < 34, there is no problem. Of course, the string comparison will judge 00034 as le...

How to search list of particular text values into free text
Hi All, Please if anyone has idea about how to search particular list of text values from one small table to free text variable in large dataset and when finds the value, update the large dataset. I have small lookup table (around 120 records) for example: Category Types; Type_1 Mangos, Type_1 Pineapples, Type_2 Onions, Type_2 Tomatoes, … Type_n typeN. Now I need to search each particular text values (variable-Types) from the above small table into my large dataset which has free text variable called “Order_details”. For example: Order_details: The last order was for the Mangos on Nov 11...

Web resources about - Search for text in a text field - comp.databases.ms-access

SEO, Search Engine Optimisation - Website Optimisation
Hit Search Limited - digital marketing agency specialising in search engine optimisation, affiliates, ROI and pay per click. Online marketing ...

SEO & Search Engine News : SEJ
Latest Search Engine News from the Search Engine Journal.

Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Paid Search Advertising (PPC) & Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - Search ...
The authoritative guide to search engine marketing (SEM), search engine optimization (SEO), paid search advertising (PPC) and social media marketing. ...

Search Newz :: Search Engine News
... To Fight Over Paid Links Google prepared a note about a proposal by French lawmakers and backed by French news publsihers, which want search ...

State of Search - Where Search and Social meet up
The fastest growing Search and Social blog covering strategy developments in search and social media

Yahoo! Search - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Yahoo! Search Engine . For the corporation, see Yahoo! . For other uses, see Yahoo! (disambiguation) . , the 2nd largest ...

Warning as bunya pine cones begin to fall - AdelaideNow Search Search
ATTACK of the killer cones sounds like a horror movie, but it’s a real problem for gardeners at this time of year.

Search for kayaker on Fraser Island continues
The search for a kayaker who was reported missing on Saturday afternoon on Fraser Island resumed early Sunday.

Brisbane Election 2016: Weather - The Courier-Mail Search Search
WEATHER LATEST: Thunderstorm activity is continuing across Southeast Queensland, however the thunderstorms are no longer classified as severe, ...

Heckenberg shooting: Innocent dad shot dead after being caught in love feud - DailyTelegraph Search Search ...
THE CAR of suspected gunman Matthew Russell has been located by police after a Western Sydney home was raided overnight, but the suspect remains ...