Searching on a text field as integer

Hi, I have a table in Access 2000 with a text field named "dexp".
Now I would like to search record trought this field using it like an
integer field, so i write things like:
"select * from card where dexp > 27" or something like that.

the problem is that i can't use the funtions int, cint, clong (and
similars) because there are some records that have in this field a
null value.
I don't know if also can affect that there are records with values
like '00034', '00001', ...., with leading zeros instead of '34' and
'1'.

Anyone can help me?

Thank U all!
0
joss22 (2)

Josh wrote:
> Hi, I have a table in Access 2000 with a text field named "dexp".
> Now I would like to search record trought this field using it like an
> integer field, so i write things like:
> "select * from card where dexp > 27" or something like that.
>
> the problem is that i can't use the funtions int, cint, clong (and
> similars) because there are some records that have in this field a
> null value.
> I don't know if also can affect that there are records with values
> like '00034', '00001', ...., with leading zeros instead of '34' and
> '1'.

You could search for Val(Nz(dexp)), which returns the numerical value
(or 0 for a Null because of the Nz() )

If you want to consider 27 < 34, there is no problem. Of course, the
string comparison will judge 00034 as less than 27...

Please note you can specify the second parameter to Nz() if you don't
want Nulls to return as 0 (which may be a meaningful value in your table)
--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html

Or just rethink the field type and make it a number.

Darryl Kerkeslager

"Josh" <joss22@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I would like to search record trought this field using it like an
> integer field, so i write things like:
> "select * from card where dexp > 27" or something like that.
>
> the problem is that i can't use the funtions int, cint, clong (and
> similars) because there are some records that have in this field a
> null value.
> I don't know if also can affect that there are records with values
> like '00034', '00001', ...., with leading zeros instead of '34' and
> '1'.

0
kerkeslager (601)
11/29/2004 1:03:15 PM
Bas Cost Budde <b.costbudde@heuvelqop.nl> wrote in message news:<cof4le$9v3$1@news2.solcon.nl>...

> You could search for Val(Nz(dexp)), which returns the numerical value
> (or 0 for a Null because of the Nz() )
>
> If you want to consider 27 < 34, there is no problem. Of course, the
> string comparison will judge 00034 as less than 27...
>
> Please note you can specify the second parameter to Nz() if you don't
> want Nulls to return as 0 (which may be a meaningful value in your table)

Thank you very much Bas. The problem was solved using your solution.
See you
0
joss22 (2)

SQL Server View integer field shows as text field in Access
Hi All! I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is defined as a text field in Access. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? Thanks in advance! KB On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:31:43 -0700 (PDT), kevinfbutt <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote: That's quite unusual. Can you post the SQL for that field in that view? What version of Access and SQL Server? Fully patched? Can you replicate the problem with a view in one of the SQL Server sample databases? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi All! > >I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer >field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is >defined as a text field in Access. > >Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >Thanks in advance! > >KB Is the column in the view the result of a calculation? If so, try applying the CAST or CONVERT function to coerce the result back into an integer. "kevinfbutt" <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote in message news:162bd7b3-e29e-4aba-bb57-e92bfd689684@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com... > Hi All! > > I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer > field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is > defined as a text field in Access. > > Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >...

Problem concatenating memo fields in MS access database
I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving non-predictably. The code is: Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting problem? (I just want to append the text of 1 field to another field - am I actually assigning objects this way?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. GH ghadley_00@yahoo.com I have managed this in a report without the $ sign e.g. =[FirstName] & " " & [lastname] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & IIf([job title] Is Not Null,[job title] & Chr(13) & Chr(10),"") It does not use memo fields but I would think they would work OK? James <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1131535433.245165.221450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed > to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving > non-predictably. The code is: > > Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & > Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] > Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEnter...

How to link fields in MS word document to Access database
Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an access database? What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in an Access database. I also want to later select the document (from a file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields from the database. Of course if there are then any updates I want to put them back into the database. Workable? Anyone with sample code? Bob Alston On Jun 10, 6:21=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an > access database? Hello Bob, Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information. HBInc. > > What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields > word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be > opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in > an Access database. =A0I also want to later select the document (from a > file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields > from the database. =A0Of course if there are then ...

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want to throw away your C++ and use Microsoft Access for the job? If you want to keep C++, you can ask for C++ code in another newsgroup, because we'd just be guessing. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB
Heya! I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I can't get around the problem. I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string. I've tried: Chr(10) & Chr(13) Chr(13) & Chr(10 vbnewline vbcrlf none of which seem to work. I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] = 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'. At the moment, my code looks like this: celsql = celsql _ & "Program: " & encname _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf _ & "Start Time: " & sttim _ & vbCrLf _ & "Participants: " & numpart _ & vbCrLf _ & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _ & vbCrLf _ & "Client: " & clntnm _ & vbCrLf _ & "Contact: " & cntct _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just something about the text field... I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to 2003. I'd really appreciate any advice. Cheers, KG I've seen this type of problem before, but I typically just use a separate text box for each data field. Is there a par...

how to import text field from MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using ImportXML
Hi Guys, I'm trying to import data out of MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using ImportXML. I don't have any problems doing the import, except for one table with a "text" field defined. I'm getting an error message saying "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.". Thanks, Do you have to use ImportXML? Why can't you use the ODBC driver to MySQL? Linda <nepifanio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137431763.824498.100740@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi Guys, > > I'm trying to import data out of MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using > ImportXML. I don't have any problems doing the import, except for one > table with a "text" field defined. I'm getting an error message saying > "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to > add. Try inserting or pasting less data.". > > Thanks, > MS Access is not allowed to directly access the data from mysql db. The data from mysql db is exported in xml format using a system (with user login/password) and then imported into MS Access. I'm not exactly sure what cosmic events make it work for me, but I do it all the time. I access tables in a MySQL database using MS Access. I make edits and run reports. Linda <nepifanio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137532447.886457.233460@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > MS Acces...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Get the real type of columns from MS Access databases(OLEObject, text, memo, numeric)
Hello, I made one application that opens MS Access databases.And I have one problem.How can I find the real data type of columns(text, memo, OLEObject, numeric) like it is into Access.I tried with resultSetMetaData.getColumnType(columnIndex) but I receive java.sql.Types.I have two columns that contains OLEObjects(images).But I receive two different types for columns : VARCHAR once, and for second column SMALLINT.I only want to see the types like in Access(OLEObjects, Text, Numeric, Memo...).Thanks in advance! Best regards, Calin Pop ...

Search multiple MS Access database files via asp.net web application
Hello all, We have a payroll application that runs with MS Access. It is comprised of several different database files and one ms access mdb file for each client. This means there can be from 10-1000 different MDB files. We have a web application that we designed to do various things with this payroll application. One of the problems is I want to be able to find what databse a specific piece of information belongs too. For example...We have a last name, or a social security number but we do not know which client it belongs to. So I want to be able to type in that info and find out which client that name or SSN belongs to. I do not have the ability to change any settings of these databases. I can only READ the data. I am thinking of making an "Index" of sorts that runs every night that compiles the various information (employee names, social Securty numbers, etc...) into XML files (one xml file for field) that contains the client database name and the field value. So that when a search is performed it is rather quick. Then it can re-index every night to get the latest information. When a match is found it displays the name of the client that it belongs too. Does this make any sence? I am stuck at this point. I'm not sure if this is the best way, or if I should just search each database everytime, one at a time (zzzz)? PLEASE HELP!!! willington79@gmail.com wrote in news:1136345241.425152.117510 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: > I do not h...

MS Qry and text field to date field
I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see it as a date. Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a solution and I have found nothing. Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query please let me know. /Thanks! wwolford wrote: > I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in > Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ > Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) > > > I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see > it as a date. > > Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a > solution and I have found nothing. > > Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query > please let me know. > > /Thanks! > In Access you could use DateSerial. Ex: x ="20070331" ? dateserial(left(x,4),Mid(x,5,2),mid(x,7,2)) ...

MS Access 2003 Find/Replace "Search field as formatted" checked as default
If anyone can help...Whenevr I go into a form and use the ctrl+F to find something with the binoculars the "Search field as formatted" is checked as default. This seems to slow down the find considerably. If I uncheck it the search is usually instant. The problem is I dont always rememeber to uncheck it. Does anyone know a way to permantly change the default? Thank You ...

Accessing text form fields name=field[label]

Web resources about - Searching on a text field as integer - comp.databases.ms-access

String searching algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer science , string searching algorithms , sometimes called string matching algorithms , are an important class of string algorithms ...

Facebook Becoming A Powerful Job Searching Tool
When most people think of a social media site that’s tailored to job searching and recruitment, the obvious answer seems to be LinkedIn . However, ...

Facebook Searching For Ways to Break Into Mobile Apps
Today’s mobile panel at the Facebook f8 developer conference was notable for the subject it didn’t cover: Facebook itself. With four panelists ...

Yahoo Video Guide - From searching to streaming in seconds! on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Yahoo Video Guide - From searching to streaming in seconds!. Download ...

Searching Twitter With Google - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
See What Is Real Time Search? Definitions & Players. Feel free to use this image. Just link to the photo page or the story.

While searching for daughter, Va. girl's parents work to help others - YouTube
Washington Post While searching for daughter, Va. girl's parents work to help others Three months and three days. Thats how long it has been ...

Police searching Willunga property of Dale McCauley, who disappeared in 1998 and is believed to have ...
POLICE are searching a Willunga house, and a dam at a nearby property, over the disappearance and suspected murder of a man 17 years ago.

Microsoft left searching for answers as Google maps out market gains
Microsoft left searching for answers as Google maps out market gains

Death in paradise: Family of Neil Lawrence still searching for answers nine months later
The family of renowned ad guru Neil Lawrence have raised serious safety concerns over his death in the&nbsp;Maldives while on holiday.

Family searching for man who disappeared Friday in Columbus
Relatives say Joey LaBute was at the Union Café just after 12:30 a.m. March 5 before disappearing.