Secure Access 2000 database

I have a database that contains complaint information in regards to
Law Enforcement. They need to have this database secure and out of
reach for all but two users. (including me, they say). In other words,
the data they place in this table is higly sensitive and no one other
then a few users must have access to it. If there are design changes,
they would like to give me access to make the changes and they lock it
down again.

Suggestions on accomplishing this, including 3rd party tools, would be
great. I have read a bit about encryption and it doesn't appear to be
able to accomplish their request.

Thanks for helping!
0
annettem (21)

"Annette Massie" <annettem@co.saint-croix.wi.us> wrote in message
> I have a database that contains complaint information in regards to
> Law Enforcement. They need to have this database secure and out of
> reach for all but two users. (including me, they say). In other words,
> the data they place in this table is higly sensitive and no one other
> then a few users must have access to it. If there are design changes,
> they would like to give me access to make the changes and they lock it
> down again.
>
> Suggestions on accomplishing this, including 3rd party tools, would be
> great. I have read a bit about encryption and it doesn't appear to be
> able to accomplish their request.
>
> Thanks for helping!

Since an Access/Jet database is storing the data in a *file*,  the only way
to really secure it is to restrict who can access the file.    If you use
anything besides a properly secured file system like NTFS permissions, then
all you are really doing is obfuscating and erecting barriers that are
easily defeated by someone who really wants to get past them.  And I'm not
talking about professional level hackers, just anyone who would be willing
to spend a few dollars for the tools.

If you want the database itself to provide good security then you need to
store the data in a server-based database like SQL Server or Oracle.  You
can still create the front end application in Access if you go that route.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
5/10/2004 12:36:44 PM
Annette Massie wrote:
> I have a database that contains complaint information in regards to
> Law Enforcement.

What kind of a database could hold so much information?
Annette Massie wrote:
> I have a database that contains complaint information in regards to
> Law Enforcement. They need to have this database secure and out of
> reach for all but two users. (including me, they say). In other words,
> the data they place in this table is higly sensitive and no one other
> then a few users must have access to it. If there are design changes,
> they would like to give me access to make the changes and they lock it
> down again.
>
> Suggestions on accomplishing this, including 3rd party tools, would be
> great. I have read a bit about encryption and it doesn't appear to be
> able to accomplish their request.
>
> Thanks for helping!

Perhaps the simplest way would be to put the data file on a network
shared folder that only those two people have access to (and compile to
MDE, and add workgroup security as an extra layer, although that can be
defeated easily).
--
regards,

Bradley

0
bradley9026 (125)

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

Securing Access 2000 Database

Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database
Hi all, I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint to this little annoying problem: I have a simple database that I want to be able to query from Excel. When I use the "new database query" wizard on an unsecured version of my database, everything works fine. I am able to read the tables and queries, I can build customized queries in Excel from the Access tables/queries. Now, the moment I secure my database I loose all connectiviity between Excel and Access. The wizard won't even connect to the database. When I add permission to "open/read database" object through "Users and Groups Permission" in Access, I am able to connect to the database and see all the tables/queries, but it does not show the fields. I thought that in theory if I add permissions to "read design" and "read data" to my tables and queries for the regular users that should solve the problem, but it doesn't. I am obviously missing something somewhere, but what? I searched the web but could not find anyting. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and Access 2003 and Excel 2003. Any advice???? Michael I'm actually just facing this problem as well myself, and have no answer. I have a secure database that's split front and backend. I've had split secure databases before where I have been able to query via excel, but for some reason, this one won't let me. ...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

referencing a DLL from a ms access 2000 database?

Secured Access 2000 database: Admin has no rights?
I was given a database to update and am running into the following problem: The database appears to have been secured using Access security (it is an MDB, not MDE). Every form etc that I try to open (in the development environment) gives me 2 messages: 1) "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time etc." 2) "You don't have permission to read frmWhatever... etc." I suspect the issue might be compounded by the fact that the database contains many tables that are linked to a SQL Server database that I do not (yet) have running in my environment. When I open the database (not in design mode) and the startup form appears... it appears to have me logged on as Admin (without prompting me further... this information appears on the startup form). When I look at Security settings in design mode - it lists my Current User name as Admin. According to User and Group Accounts information, Admin is part of the Admins and Users groups. I cannot, however, do anything in the database and the person who originally created the database is long gone and the database users do not have any helpful information (they were not even aware a SQL Server database is being accessed). Any ideas how to unsecure the database or to figure out why Admin is not able to act as one - would be appreciated! Aliza "aklein" <abklein@optonline.net> wrote in message news:077c84a6-b01b-4470-bac2-94fdd5236ff4@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > > An...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Access 2007 command buttons do not function
Trying to install some software on Access 2007. The software works just fine on earlier versions of Access. I have been told that it works on Access 2007 but I have not seen that personally. The command buttons on my user-created forms do not function when it is run under Access 2007. The operating system is Windows XP home SP2. The main menu opens up like normal. I can open any form from the ribbon at the left. I can run a query from the ribbon at the left. I can open a table from the ribbon at the left. I checked references and none are missing. I tried converting to Access 2007 database format and no references missing and still the form buttons do not work. the form buttons were created with teh Access 2003 button wizard and generally open other forms, reports or queries. What do I need to do to get the buttons to function? Bob Hi, Bob Bob Alston wrote: > Trying to install some software on Access 2007. The software works > just fine on earlier versions of Access. > > I have been told that it works on Access 2007 but I have not seen that > personally. > > The command buttons on my user-created forms do not function when it > is run under Access 2007. Is your database located in a trusted location ? http://www.accessribbon.de/en/?Trust_Center:Trusted_Locations Regards Jens ...

Create database in Access 2003 gets Access 2000 formatted DB
I just purchased a new PC that came with MS Office 2003 (Professional Ed.). I opened MS Access 2003 and created a new database but it opened with a "note in the window header bar" that says "Access 2000 File Format". 1. Why did this happen? 2. Should I delete this database and start again? 3. I am not exactly sure what level of software the end user will be at (I am creating this database for use by someone else), but I have been assured that they have MS Access. Did I do something wrong here? Suggestions, please. Thanks, much. Sueb *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** No, you didn't do anything wrong. The default format for 2002 and 2003 is 2000. You can change it if you want by clicking Tools - Database Utilities - Convert. It would be a REALLY good idea if you would learn more about your enduser environment. There have, of course, been changes since 2000, and if your enduser is going to be using 2000 you would have to maintain the 2000 format, and make SURE you didn't use a 2002-2003 specific items (like the FileDialog, for example). "Susan Bricker" <slbrick@verizon.net> wrote in message news:42531ba2$1_2@127.0.0.1... >I just purchased a new PC that came with MS Office 2003 (Professional > Ed.). I opened MS Access 2003 and created a new database but it opened > with a "note in the window header bar" that says "Access 2000 File > Format". > > 1. Why did...

Using Access 2003 package wizard to package a database for a Access 2000 client
I developed an access database in access 2003(keeping my database in the access 2000 format). It has been fully tested to be access 2000 compatible and works great. I am trying to package the final version however and when I tell it to create a shortcut it includeds the path to access 2003 in the shortcut C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ my client is running access 2000. I could not figure any way to change the access application folder loction in the access setup. it is assuming that since I have access 2003 the user of the appliaction does too. is there any way to fix this and still use the package wizard? This begs the question why would you need the runtime for this user if they already got a version of ms-access? Why not just email them the file, or perhaps use WinZip (it can remember the directory you zip to, and even create it for you.). In fact, you can create a self extracting zip file, and it will be a zillion times smaller then suing the package and deployment wizard to JUST TRANSFER a mdb file to that user. Unless the end user needs the a2003 runtime, then I see no reason at all to use the package wizard. Just zip and email the person the file!! You are not installing the runtime here, and obviously you don't need it...so I think you got the wrong tool here to just send a person a simple mdb file, and they already got ms-access installed (and, worse, a different version). You cannot effectually use, and install the a2003 runtime ...

Web resources about - Secure Access 2000 database - comp.databases.ms-access

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...