Secured Access 2000 database: Admin has no rights?

I was given a database to update and am running into the following
problem:

The database appears to have been secured using Access security (it is
an MDB, not MDE).  Every form etc that I try to open (in the
development environment) gives me 2 messages:

1) "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time
etc."
2) "You don't have permission to read frmWhatever... etc."

I suspect the issue might be compounded by the fact that the database
contains many tables that are linked to a SQL Server database that I
do not (yet) have running in my environment.

When I open the database (not in design mode) and the startup form
appears... it appears to have me logged on as Admin (without prompting
me further... this information appears on the startup form).

When I look at Security settings in design mode - it lists my Current
User name as Admin. According to User and Group Accounts information,
Admin is part of the Admins and Users groups.

I cannot, however, do anything in the database and the person who
originally created the database is long gone and the database users do
not have any helpful information (they were not even aware a SQL
Server database is being accessed).

Any ideas how to unsecure the database or to figure out why Admin is
not able to act as one - would be appreciated!

Aliza
0
abklein (15)

"aklein" <abklein@optonline.net> wrote in message

> Any ideas how to unsecure the database or to figure out why Admin is
> not able to act as one - would be appreciated!

I suspect that Admin is not the *owner* of the objects.  Try importing the
objects into a new file.

Regards,
Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

0
here9 (1031)
7/23/2008 12:48:45 PM
> > Any ideas how tounsecurethedatabaseor to figure out why Admin is
> > not able to act as one - would be appreciated!
>
> I suspect that Admin is not the *owner* of the objects. =A0Try importing =
the
> objects into a new file.
>
> Regards,
> Keith.www.keithwilby.com

When I try to import a form to a new file - I get the same message: I
do not have the permissions necessary to import the file.

Help?
Aliza
0
abklein (15)
7/23/2008 2:06:20 PM
"aklein" <abklein@optonline.net> wrote in message

You need to log in to the database as it's owner which sounds as if it's the
person who applied security.  If that's not an option then you may have to
use a third party program to break the security.  Perhaps someone else could
jump in here (Joan?).

0
here9 (1031)
7/23/2008 3:08:55 PM
On Jul 23, 11:08=A0am, "Keith Wilby" <h...@there.com> wrote:
> "aklein" <abkl...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> You need to log in to the database as it's owner which sounds as if it's =
the
> person who applied security. =A0If that's not an option then you may have=
> use a third party program to break the security. =A0Perhaps someone else =
could
> jump in here (Joan?).

If anyone can recommend a third party - I would certainly consider
that route.

The original database creator (who I presume set the security) is long
gone... the database objects are listed as an "<unknown>" owner.

I have tried looking at the mdw files (I have found a couple different
options that were sent to me along with the mdb file) but have had no
success.

Any ideas?

(It also is preventing me from updating my linked tables to my local
copy of the SQL Server database.)

Aliza
0
abklein (15)
7/23/2008 5:01:13 PM
The db objects show <unknown> as the owner because you aren't joined to the
workgroup used to secure the db.  People usually make mistakes when trying to
secure a db.  One of them is to forget to remove all permissions to the
default admin user.  That's why you're able to open the db, even without the
secured mdw file.

Try changing all of the db objects from the <unknown> owner to the admin user.
Any objects you can change the ownership of to admin you can import into a
new db where admin is the owner.

Chris
Microsoft MVP

aklein wrote:
>> You need to log in to the database as it's owner which sounds as if it's the
>> person who applied security.  If that's not an option then you may have to
>> use a third party program to break the security.  Perhaps someone else could
>> jump in here (Joan?).
>
>If anyone can recommend a third party - I would certainly consider
>that route.
>
>The original database creator (who I presume set the security) is long
>gone... the database objects are listed as an "<unknown>" owner.
>
>I have tried looking at the mdw files (I have found a couple different
>options that were sent to me along with the mdb file) but have had no
>success.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>(It also is preventing me from updating my linked tables to my local
>copy of the SQL Server database.)
>
>Aliza

Chris
7/24/2008 3:49:04 AM
On Jul 23, 11:49=A0pm, "Chris O'C via AccessMonster.com" <u29189@uwe>
wrote:
> The db objects show <unknown> as the owner because you aren't joined to t=
he
> workgroup used to secure the db. =A0People usually make mistakes when try=
ing to
> secure a db. =A0One of them is to forget to remove all permissions to the
> defaultadminuser. =A0That's why you're able to open the db, even without =
the
> secured mdw file.
>
> Try changing all of the db objects from the <unknown> owner to theadminus=
er.
> Any objects you can change the ownership of toadminyou can import into a
> new db whereadminis the owner.
>
> Chris
> Microsoft MVP
>

> akleinwrote:
> >> You need to log in to the database as it's owner which sounds as if it=
's the
> >> person who applied security. =A0If that's not an option then you may h=
ave to
> >> use a third party program to break the security. =A0Perhaps someone el=
se could
> >> jump in here (Joan?).
>
> >If anyone can recommend a third party - I would certainly consider
> >that route.
>
> >The original database creator (who I presume set the security) is long
> >gone... the database objects are listed as an "<unknown>" owner.
>
> >I have tried looking at the mdw files (I have found a couple different
> >options that were sent to me along with the mdb file) but have had no
> >success.
>
> >Any ideas?
>
> >(It also is preventing me from updating my linked tables to my local
> >copy of the SQL Server database.)
>
> >Aliza
>
> --
ms.aspx/databases-ms-access/2008...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the idea... but I have already tried to change ownership
and have been told I have no rights.  I have also tried to import the
forms and again, was told that I don't have permission to do that.

Hmmmm.... any other thoughts?  I appreciate them all!
Aliza
0
abklein (15)
7/24/2008 12:29:01 PM

> Hmmmm.... any other thoughts?  I appreciate them all!

Google for "ms access password recovery" then take your pick.

Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

0
here9 (1031)
7/25/2008 7:32:53 AM
What about the other mdw files?  Were you given a member of the admins
group's user name and password for each of them so you could try opening the
db with permissions?

Chris
Microsoft MVP

aklein wrote:
>Thanks for the idea... but I have already tried to change ownership
>and have been told I have no rights.  I have also tried to import the
>forms and again, was told that I don't have permission to do that.
>
>Hmmmm.... any other thoughts?  I appreciate them all!
>Aliza

Chris

Secure Access 2000 database
I have a database that contains complaint information in regards to Law Enforcement. They need to have this database secure and out of reach for all but two users. (including me, they say). In other words, the data they place in this table is higly sensitive and no one other then a few users must have access to it. If there are design changes, they would like to give me access to make the changes and they lock it down again. Suggestions on accomplishing this, including 3rd party tools, would be great. I have read a bit about encryption and it doesn't appear to be able to accomplish their ...

Securing Access 2000 Database

MS Access Database right for us?
Hi -- we are a small manufacturing looking for a multi-user database to take customer orders (nothing too complicated, with 3 users total). We think we should be using Access, but are wondering what alternatives there are. It has been recommended to us to use ASP.net and SQL instead, with the reasoning that: 1) Access is likely to go obsolete at some point 2) It will be more stable Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Allison, Your situation sounds like an ideal task for Access. As for Access being obsolete anytime soon I don't see that happening. Access can handle 3 users no pro...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

MS Access 2000 corrupt's databases
Hello. We have about 20 users in our Access databases. Sometime databases corrupts and are not available. I have to correct them. It is not nice, because you have to ask every user to close database, because other wise correcting is not possible. We have 100 Mt Cat 5 ethernet and some of the users use database via Citrix servers. Why databases corrupts and is there anything I can do to this problem? Hannu There are some things that can be done to minimize the problem. First, make sure the have the most current updates and service packs for Office, MDAC, Jet, and your operating systems. Th...

Another way to open an MS ACCESS 2000 database?
Hi! I've developed an ms access 2000 db. Then I'll protect the db with a password. But I want to open the access 2000 file from a Delphi 7 program, and try to have the program connect to the ms access 2000 db. 1. How can I have the OnOpen_event of the starting form in access check if the db is being tried open from doubleclicking the access 2000 file itself, and deny the user to open except from the Delphi program? 2. What is the connection string to the access 2000 file from the Delphi 7 program? The reason is that I'll write to the register from Delphi 7 and do ...

Another way to open an MS ACCESS 2000 database? #2
Hi! I've developed an ms access 2000 db. Then I'll protect the db with a password. But I want to open the access 2000 file from a Delphi 7 program, and try to have the program connect to the ms access 2000 db. 1. How can I have the OnOpen_event of the starting form in access check if the db is being tried open from doubleclicking the access 2000 file itself, and deny the user to open except from the Delphi program? 2. What is the connection string to the access 2000 file from the Delphi 7 program? The reason is that I'll write to the register from Delphi 7 and do ...

Access Database Security

Securing an Access Database.
If you secure an MSACCESS Database using a Workgroup Information File WIF and then setting up permissions removing the Admin user from the its default group, repalce it with another named user, transfer all the ownership of objects to the new user. Then run the database security wizard. If after this the mdb file is placed on a different users PC which is still using the defauult system.mdw file should they still be able to open the database with full rights and permissions ? D wrote: > If you secure an MSACCESS Database using a Workgroup Information File > WIF and then setting up ...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

Web resources about - Secured Access 2000 database: Admin has no rights? - comp.databases.ms-access