Securing an Access Database.

If you secure  an MSACCESS Database using a Workgroup Information File
WIF and then setting up  permissions removing the Admin user from the
its default group, repalce it with another named user, transfer all
the ownership of objects to the new user. Then run the database
security wizard.  If after this the mdb file is placed on a different
users PC which is still using the defauult system.mdw file should they
still be able to open the database with full rights and permissions ?

D wrote:
> If you secure  an MSACCESS Database using a Workgroup Information File
> WIF and then setting up  permissions removing the Admin user from the
> its default group, repalce it with another named user, transfer all
> the ownership of objects to the new user. Then run the database
> security wizard.  If after this the mdb file is placed on a different
> users PC which is still using the defauult system.mdw file should they
> still be able to open the database with full rights and permissions ?

No.  If they can you missed a step.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
5/7/2007 7:44:30 PM
Hi, David.

> If after this the mdb file is placed on a different
> users PC which is still using the defauult system.mdw file should they
> still be able to open the database with full rights and permissions ?

In many cases, yes, but only if certain vital steps were missed.  To give
you an idea of which steps were missed, even after taking those steps you
described, the database will not be secured under any of the following
circumstances:

1.)  The workgroup information file used to secure the database is the
default workgroup information file.

2.)  The owner of the database is the default Admin user, even if the owner
is later changed to another user.

3.)  The owner of all the objects is originally the default Admin user, even
if ownership is later transferred to another user.

4.)  The Access 2000 Security Wizard is used to secure the database.

5.)  The Users group has permissions to open and run the database.

6.)  Any member of the Admins group doesn't have a password set, or the
password is easily guessed.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/expert_contributors2.html for contact
info.

"D" <david_f.green@virgin.net> wrote in message
> If you secure  an MSACCESS Database using a Workgroup Information File
> WIF and then setting up  permissions removing the Admin user from the
> its default group, repalce it with another named user, transfer all
> the ownership of objects to the new user. Then run the database
> security wizard.  If after this the mdb file is placed on a different
> users PC which is still using the defauult system.mdw file should they
> still be able to open the database with full rights and permissions ?

Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database
Hi all, I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint to this little annoying problem: I have a simple database that I want to be able to query from Excel. When I use the "new database query" wizard on an unsecured version of my database, everything works fine. I am able to read the tables and queries, I can build customized queries in Excel from the Access tables/queries. Now, the moment I secure my database I loose all connectiviity between Excel and Access. The wizard won't even connect to the database. When I add permission to "open/read database" object through "Users and Groups Permission" in Access, I am able to connect to the database and see all the tables/queries, but it does not show the fields. I thought that in theory if I add permissions to "read design" and "read data" to my tables and queries for the regular users that should solve the problem, but it doesn't. I am obviously missing something somewhere, but what? I searched the web but could not find anyting. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and Access 2003 and Excel 2003. Any advice???? Michael I'm actually just facing this problem as well myself, and have no answer. I have a secure database that's split front and backend. I've had split secure databases before where I have been able to query via excel, but for some reason, this one won't let me. ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

Access Database Security

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share E...

Java access to Microsoft Access database through Samba
Hi, I need to access from an JSP application in a Linux server to a Microsoft Access database (only read) that is in another Windows server (only accepts users in its domain, that are different from Linux server users) I have configured Samba so that I can access to the database file. When I access through the folder navigator of Linux it requests me user, domain and password and access without problems. I do not know, how to access from a Java/JSP application, it's possible to do it? what driver I must use? it is necessary to configure Samaba to have permission some user in parti...

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

Web resources about - Securing an Access Database. - comp.databases.ms-access

Securing Email Communications from Facebook
It's very important to us that the people who use Facebook feel safe and can trust that their connection to Facebook is secure; for instance ...

Securing Graph API Calls - Facebook-Entwickler
Graph API calls can be made from clients or from your server on behalf of clients. Calls from a server can be better secured by adding a parameter ...

Securing your Twitter experience with HTTPS - Twitter Blogs
... makes your Twitter experience more secure by protecting your information, and it’s especiall... Skip to main content Sign in Search Securing ...

Securing the landing zone - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
U.S. Army 1st Sgt. Gerald Eagan, with the 6th Engineer Battalion, throws his rucksack in front of him while pulling security on a remote mountain ...

Securing the Campaign [29c3] - YouTube
Securing the Campaign Security and the 2012 US Presidential Election This talk will go into some of challenges, solutions, and stories from securing ...

AFC president calls for more on-pitch success from Asian nations after securing a new term - The National ...
The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) is more united than it has been before but its teams must do better on the field, Shaikh Salman Bin Ebrahim ...

IN PICTURES: Securing the journey to the Cloud roundtable
... to discuss the journey towards the cloud. ARN in conjunction with itX, Trend Micro and VMware hosted the exclusive discussion on the securing ...

Australian soldiers to back up police in securing Ukrainian site of MH17 crash
A small number of Australian soldiers will be deployed to back up police charged with securing the crash site of MH-17 in Ukraine.

Jarryd Hayne's US agent Jack Bechta says interest growing quickly but he's still a long way from securing ...
In an exclusive interview with Fairfax Media, Jarryd Hayne's US agent Jack Bechta tells Michael Chammas his superstar client is attracting incredible ...

Securing the network beyond passwords - consumerization of IT, BYOD, MDM, Networking, security, wireless ...
Passwords have been a weakness of network security since the development of computer networks. Through guessing weak passwords, exploiting weak ...