Security in Access 97 - Secure a controll

I want than only few users are able to use a certain controll (tab) in a
form. Is that possible in the security system we have in Access 97 or do I
have to program everything in VBA.

Helge (Norway)

0
Danke1 (1)

Access 97 Database converted to Access 2000
I converted an access97 Database to Access 2K and have discovered that none of the control buttons work. Is there a simple work around ? Thanks Omey The code will not work if your references are incorrect or missing, or if there are compile errors in the code. 1. Press Ctrl+G to open the Immediate window. 2. From the Tools menu, choose References. 3. Ensure check marks beside these libraries only: - Visual Basic for Applications - Microsoft Access 9.0 - Microsoft DAO 3.6 and make sure none of these has the word "MISSING". Close the dialog. 4. From the Debug menu, choose Compile. Fix any error messages you receive, and repeat step 4 until there are no errors. More information about the references: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Omey Samaroo" <nospam@replytogroup.com> wrote in message news:BEsEb.102366$%TO.67748@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > I converted an access97 Database to Access 2K and have discovered that none > of the control buttons work. > Is there a simple work around ? Thanks Allen, I can always count on your help, and I remain grateful for all the ideas that you have shared with me in the past. I'll attempt the suggestions and report back if I am still having problems. Happy holidays a...

conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000
hi access gurus would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to be expected and how to handle it. also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, update and delete. thanx in advance, regards bala balkiicbe@yahoo.com (bala) wrote in message news:<b62a781b.0310080544.6d2a08fc@posting.google.com>... > hi access gurus > > would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms > access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to > be expected and how to handle it. > > also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms > access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, > update and delete. > > thanx in advance, > > regards > bala About the only thing that's seriously different when you upgrade from 97 to 2000 is that if you have any code behind your forms, 97 uses DAO and 2000 uses ADO, so the ADO library is registered by default in 2000. You'll just have to unregister it and register DAo 3.6 instead. Access should do the conversion for you... hi Pieter thanx for the information, well have used ADO in ms access 97 so i think the conversion shouldn't be a problem. take care and best of luck regards bala ...

Access 97 .mdws with Access XP databases
I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the security files and accounts. I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access 2K databases. Any info would be appreciated. "brucedodds2" <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> wrote in news:1130179432.172463.288340@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com: > I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 > .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? > I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access > 2K databases. I haven't seen that, but I've only used that setup very occasionally. Keep in mind that A2K+ MDWs bloat a lot more than A97 ones, so it may be an issue that only looks significant on the surface. -- David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc brucedodds2 <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> typed: : I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We : have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case : has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the : security file...

Access Controls in Access
How on access can you set access controls to your users? If they log in with one username and password they can just read information and if they log in with another username and password they can read and write? I have no idea how to do this, is it even possible?? Thank you Try playing with the access security tool, you can add users, groups, passwords, read/write allowances etc. to your database using that. Its under the 'Tools' menu of Access. Brian wrote: > Try playing with the access security tool, you can add users, groups, > passwords, read/write allowances etc. to your database using that. > Its under the 'Tools' menu of Access. Playing is not the proper word for it. I would never "play" with installing security without a backup copy of the System.mdw file or a backup of the application. You should also recommend the SecFaq when "playing" with security. http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/techpapers.htm. Dangerous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASIVv_LiBoU Yeah i suppose playing wasn't the correct word for it. Hey Thanks for both your help. I'll try that. "Hanny J" <hannyjones@aol.com> wrote > Thanks for both your help. I'll try that. Note that a well-versed author and authority, Roger Jenkins, back in the days of Access 2.0, characterized Access' Security as "labrynthine". It has not gotten any less complex, and I caution that, while it is "doable&qu...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Enabling an Access 97 database for use with Access 2003
We have an Access 97 database app that we'd like to enable (not convert) for Access 2003. We still have users running 97 and are not prepared to upgrade everyone who uses this database to the 2003 version yet. We're getting an error message when we try to do this which reads as follows: "There were compilation errors during the conversion or enabling of this database. The database has not been saved in a compiled state. The performance of this database will be impaired because Microsoft Access will need to recompile the database for each session." The MS Knowledgebase doesn't provide much guidance on this issue. Because we cannot enable the database for 2003, the 2003 users cannot get into the database while 97 users are logged into it (this is unacceptable). Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks in advance for any help. Terry Block "Terry Block" <tblock@ncia.net> wrote in message news:JwO0c.14$iE3.11958@monger.newsread.com... > We have an Access 97 database app that we'd like to enable (not convert) for > Access 2003. We still have users running 97 and are not prepared to upgrade > everyone who uses this database to the 2003 version yet. We're getting an > error message when we try to do this which reads as follows: > > "There were compilation errors during the conversion or enabling of this > database. The database has not been saved in a compiled state. The >...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

No access to .dbf files in access 97 after installing access 2003
Hello, I need to maintain an access97 database that is linked to dbf's, but after having installed access 2003, when I try to link a .dbf file to an access97 database, I only have access and odbc when the dialog box to choose the external table comes up. I tried going to control panel and change my office 97 setup. When I go to the data access option, dbf is grayed out with a checkmark in it and it states that dbf access is already installed. Yet, I don't have access to that option when trying to link my dbf table to the access97 database. Any way to get that option back on? Thanks! ...

access newbie- how to modify datasource name in MS Access 97 app?
I have an old MS Access 97 application that we're converting to a web-based app. I completed the necessary mods on the original product, but need to point to a test database. The app uses a machine datasource that uses Oracle 7.3 drivers- some 5 years old- I created a new datasource that works great, but am having trouble identifying where Access 97 stores the datasource name information. please post here, THANKS! Don Not sure how you're going to make an Access application web-bases, but... Have you tried using the Linked Tables Manager to point to your new datasource? "D" <bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:22e171df.0411121050.7df9a00e@posting.google.com... > I have an old MS Access 97 application that we're converting to a > web-based app. I completed the necessary mods on the original > product, but need to point to a test database. The app uses a machine > datasource that uses Oracle 7.3 drivers- some 5 years old- I created a > new datasource that works great, but am having trouble identifying > where Access 97 stores the datasource name information. > > please post here, > > THANKS! > > Don On 12 Nov 2004 10:50:04 -0800, bbcrock@hotmail.com (D) wrote: >I have an old MS Access 97 application that we're converting to a >web-based app. I completed the necessary mods on the original >product, but need to point to a test database. The app uses a machine >datasource that use...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed --------------------------- Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application. --------------------------- OK Cancel --------------------------- OK let's you choose another mdb (not an option) and CANCEL fails the app, which is the problem :-) Current versions: * JET version: 4.0.6305.00 - not sure which this is, it's more recent than JET 4 SP8 which is the lates I can download separately. * Office 2000 SR1 with latest updates * MDAC 2.8 SP2 ON WINDOWS SERVER 2003 SP1 (2.82)(ComponentChecker 2.0) What we tried so far, to no good: * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310804 * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310937 * downgrading MDAC, which is seems useless (has no effects on file versions + no relation to odbc?) * downgrading JET 4 (by manually replacing odbcjt32.dll in system32 and system32/dllcache) * Googled to death on the matt...

Web resources about - Security in Access 97 - Secure a controll - comp.databases.ms-access

Krebs on Security
The House Financial Services Committee is slated to hold a hearing this Friday on the impact of cyber heists against small- to mid-sized businesses. ...

Security Middle East - Latest news from the Middle East.
Security Middle East is a news portal for the entire security industry, focussed specifically on latest security news from the Middle East. Security ...

Information Security News, IT Security News & Expert Insights: SecurityWeek.Com
IT Security News and Information Security News, Cyber Security, Network Security, Enterprise Security Threats, Cybercrime News and more. Information ...

Security (finance) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
equity securities, e.g., common stocks ; and, The company or other entity issuing the security is called the issuer . A country's regulatory ...

Knife-wielding man who killed at mosque to spend 25 years at maximum security psychiatric hospital
... on a rampage through a Melbourne mosque, killing one &#8203;worshipper and stabbing three others will spend up to 25 years in the maximum security ...

Cisco to address Cyber Security Risks Inhibiting Digital Ambitions at GISEC 2016
Al-Bawaba Cisco to address Cyber Security Risks Inhibiting Digital Ambitions at GISEC 2016 Al-Bawaba Cisco announced its participation in ...

Fortinet, Palo Alto, CyberArk to Ride Tide of Security Spend, Says Goldman
Goldman Sachs ’s Gabriela Borges today starts coverage of security technology stocks, issuing Buy ratings on Palo Alto Networks ( PANW ), CyberArk ...

Security is a major concern for Internet of Things users
A survey by mobile and Internet security firm BullGuard of over 6,000 UK residents has illustrated just how widespread the Internet of Things ...

Security researchers discovered a flaw in Apple's messaging system that could let hackers intercept photos ...
... Post reports . The flaw worked on Apple customers using outdated versions of Apple's operating system. Every iOS release increases security, ...

Thousands in Diyarbakir celebrate Newroz amid tight security
ISTANBUL (AP) — Thousands of people have gathered in the mainly Kurdish of Diyarbakir to celebrate the Newroz spring festival. Authorities made ...