security problem with ms-access?

hi list,

since a couple of weeks we face a special "security" problem. neraly
every ms-access database that is located on our net-drives cannot be
opened.

when clicking the document's icon, first, the warning message arises
"open document - security message" - "Really open *.mdb ....?",
second, when clicking "start" ms-access starts, but the mdb-file
cannot be opened. message: "ms-access could not open the file ... The
file is located outside the intranet or on a website that is
considered to be insecure. ms-access therefore will not open the
document because of possible security problems" (translation from the
german dialogs - somediffeences to the original english dailog can be
assumed)

when copying the file to a local hard disk, it works again. butthat's
not the idea of an intra-enterprise database, is it?

any ideas how to come over that ????

thanx in advance

norbert

ps. some of these mdb-files are replicated ...
norbert

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 04:58:00 -0700 (PDT), novak
<norbert.neuwirth@oif.ac.at> wrote:

Did you deploy the applications on each workstation, per best
practices?

-Tom.

>hi list,
>
>since a couple of weeks we face a special "security" problem. neraly
>every ms-access database that is located on our net-drives cannot be
>opened.
>
>when clicking the document's icon, first, the warning message arises
>"open document - security message" - "Really open *.mdb ....?",
>second, when clicking "start" ms-access starts, but the mdb-file
>cannot be opened. message: "ms-access could not open the file ... The
>file is located outside the intranet or on a website that is
>considered to be insecure. ms-access therefore will not open the
>document because of possible security problems" (translation from the
>german dialogs - somediffeences to the original english dailog can be
>assumed)
>
>when copying the file to a local hard disk, it works again. butthat's
>not the idea of an intra-enterprise database, is it?
>
>any ideas how to come over that ????
>
>thanx in advance
>
>norbert
>
>ps. some of these mdb-files are replicated ...
>norbert
In  my "work" situation, all workstations have the frontend on their
machines and all is fine.  The problem arises when I am on my home machine
and receive an '.mdb' file in my email or download from the internet
(various sample db's from Access sites) and then try to open it--that's when
I get the same annoying message:

"Microsoft Access cannot open this file.

This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site.

Microsoft Access will not open this file due to potential security problems.

To open the file, copy it to your machine or an accessible network
location."

I can't quite tell if this is an Internet 'thing' or an Access 'thing', but
I have tried "copying the various db's to my "machine or to an accessible
network location" which is an exercise in futility-it doesn't work.  I tried
going into IE6's security tab, but can find a solution there.

Does anyone have some ideas to help "novak" and me.

thx...
Earl Anderson

"Tom van Stiphout" <no.spam.tom7744@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 04:58:00 -0700 (PDT), novak
> <norbert.neuwirth@oif.ac.at> wrote:
>
> Did you deploy the applications on each workstation, per best
> practices?
>
> -Tom.
>

>>hi list,
>>
>>since a couple of weeks we face a special "security" problem. neraly
>>every ms-access database that is located on our net-drives cannot be
>>opened.
>>
>>when clicking the document's icon, first, the warning message arises
>>"open document - security message" - "Really open *.mdb ....?",
>>second, when clicking "start" ms-access starts, but the mdb-file
>>cannot be opened. message: "ms-access could not open the file ... The
>>file is located outside the intranet or on a website that is
>>considered to be insecure. ms-access therefore will not open the
>>document because of possible security problems" (translation from the
>>german dialogs - somediffeences to the original english dailog can be
>>assumed)
>>
>>when copying the file to a local hard disk, it works again. butthat's
>>not the idea of an intra-enterprise database, is it?
>>
>>any ideas how to come over that ????
>>
>>thanx in advance
>>
>>norbert
>>
>>ps. some of these mdb-files are replicated ...
>>norbert

0
isobadd (86)
6/4/2008 12:51:31 AM
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:51:31 -0400, "Earl Anderson"
<isobadd@optonline.net> wrote:

Zip the file before you email it, or change the extension to .txt
-Tom.

Earl Anderson wrote:
> In  my "work" situation, all workstations have the frontend on their
> machines and all is fine.  The problem arises when I am on my home
> machine and receive an '.mdb' file in my email or download from the
> internet (various sample db's from Access sites) and then try to open
> it--that's when I get the same annoying message:
>
> "Microsoft Access cannot open this file.
>
> This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site.
>
> Microsoft Access will not open this file due to potential security
> problems.
>

> To open the file, copy it to your machine or an accessible network
> location."
>
> I can't quite tell if this is an Internet 'thing' or an Access
> 'thing', but I have tried "copying the various db's to my "machine or
> to an accessible network location" which is an exercise in
> futility-it doesn't work.  I tried going into IE6's security tab, but
> can find a solution there.
> Does anyone have some ideas to help "novak" and me.

Right-click the file after copying it your disk and look for the "unblock"
button on the property sheet.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
6/4/2008 2:11:37 AM
Unblocking from the property sheet solved this annoying problem.
Thanks...Earl

"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Earl Anderson wrote:
>> In  my "work" situation, all workstations have the frontend on their
>> machines and all is fine.  The problem arises when I am on my home
>> machine and receive an '.mdb' file in my email or download from the
>> internet (various sample db's from Access sites) and then try to open
>> it--that's when I get the same annoying message:
>>
>> "Microsoft Access cannot open this file.
>>
>> This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site.
>>
>> Microsoft Access will not open this file due to potential security
>> problems.
>>

>> To open the file, copy it to your machine or an accessible network
>> location."
>>
>> I can't quite tell if this is an Internet 'thing' or an Access
>> 'thing', but I have tried "copying the various db's to my "machine or
>> to an accessible network location" which is an exercise in
>> futility-it doesn't work.  I tried going into IE6's security tab, but
>> can find a solution there.
>> Does anyone have some ideas to help "novak" and me.
>
> Right-click the file after copying it your disk and look for the "unblock"
> button on the property sheet.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
isobadd (86)

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where...

MS Access Security/Workgroup problem
Hi, I have a problem in getting Access 2002 to read my workgroup file. I've created different groups and users and when the db is opened the user is prompted to enter a username and password which seems to be working perfectly on my PC. However, when someone else on a different computer opens this db on the shared network the user is no longer asked to enter their username and password and they are logged on as the default admin user. I've looked at the workgroup adminstrator and the db is joined with the correct workgroup. I've also looked at the whitepaper Microsoft Access Sec...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

Problem with MS Access
I have a large database running on a Dell Server. There are aprox 10 users on the network accessing the database. I keep getting error messages saying that a user on the network has the file open and locked under "Admin". as far as I am concerned the admin has a password and all users are NOT accesing the database with Admin rights. Why does the database become locked on a irregular basis (it is not dependent on machine or user) and how can I repvent it happening. It is causing me a right headache as I have to keep getting everyone to close the database so i can reboot the serv...

Web resources about - security problem with ms-access? - comp.databases.ms-access