Select qry works - delete qry fails

Why does this select query return the correct records but when I make it a
delete query I get a msgbox with "Could not delete from specified
tables".

   SELECT BMIDLog.*
FROM stageBMIDLog INNER JOIN BMIDLog ON (BMIDLog.BattID = stageBMIDLog.BattID)
AND (BMIDLog.VehicleID = stageBMIDLog.VehicleID) AND (BMIDLog.TotalChgAhs =
stageBMIDLog.TotalChgAhs)

   DELETE BMIDLog.*
FROM stageBMIDLog INNER JOIN BMIDLog ON (BMIDLog.BattID = stageBMIDLog.BattID)
AND (BMIDLog.VehicleID = stageBMIDLog.VehicleID) AND (BMIDLog.TotalChgAhs =
stageBMIDLog.TotalChgAhs)

Thanks

0
ms3400 (28)
2/25/2004 3:20:32 AM
comp.databases.ms-access 42631 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I suspect it is because you've joined table together... I don't think you
can't delete records this way.

You should delete from one table and set up the relationships so the delete
will cascade to any associated tables.
--
Bradley
Software Developer www.hrsystems.com.au

"ms" <ms@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Why does this select query return the correct records but when I make it a
> delete query I get a msgbox with "Could not delete from specified
> tables".
>
>    SELECT BMIDLog.*
> FROM stageBMIDLog INNER JOIN BMIDLog ON (BMIDLog.BattID =
stageBMIDLog.BattID)
> AND (BMIDLog.VehicleID = stageBMIDLog.VehicleID) AND (BMIDLog.TotalChgAhs
=
> stageBMIDLog.TotalChgAhs)
>
>    DELETE BMIDLog.*
> FROM stageBMIDLog INNER JOIN BMIDLog ON (BMIDLog.BattID =
stageBMIDLog.BattID)
> AND (BMIDLog.VehicleID = stageBMIDLog.VehicleID) AND (BMIDLog.TotalChgAhs
=
> stageBMIDLog.TotalChgAhs)
>
> Thanks

0
bradley9026 (125)
2/25/2004 5:10:26 AM
Thanks Bradley, but won't confuses me is, why does this Delete query work then?
   What makes a join query in a delete statement work?

DELETE stageChargeLog.*
FROM ChargeLog INNER JOIN stageChargeLog ON
([ChargeLog].[STTIME]=[stageChargeLog].[STTIME]) AND
([ChargeLog].[STDATE]=[stageChargeLog].[STDATE]) AND
([ChargeLog].[BattID]=[stageChargeLog].[BattID]);

Bradley wrote:
> I suspect it is because you've joined table together... I don't think you
> can't delete records this way.
>
> You should delete from one table and set up the relationships so the delete
> will cascade to any associated tables.

0
ms3400 (28)
2/25/2004 6:36:18 PM
I also followed Access Help (Delete records from one table or tables in a
one-to-one (and one-to-many) relationship) using the query design window and
still it works as a select but fails as a Delete.  No information, no help,
nothing.  Just says can't delete.
This is what the query design query is in SQL:

DELETE stageBMIDLog.*
FROM stageBMIDLog, TMPstageBMIDLog
WHERE TMPstageBMIDLog.TotalChgAhs=[stageBMIDLog].[TotalChgAhs] AND
TMPstageBMIDLog.VehicleID=[stageBMIDLog].[vehicleid] AND
TMPstageBMIDLog.BattID=[stageBMIDLog].[battid];

ms wrote:

> Thanks Bradley, but won't confuses me is, why does this Delete query
> work then?   What makes a join query in a delete statement work?
>
> DELETE stageChargeLog.*
> FROM ChargeLog INNER JOIN stageChargeLog ON
> ([ChargeLog].[STTIME]=[stageChargeLog].[STTIME]) AND
> ([ChargeLog].[STDATE]=[stageChargeLog].[STDATE]) AND
> ([ChargeLog].[BattID]=[stageChargeLog].[BattID]);
>

> Bradley wrote:
>
>> I suspect it is because you've joined table together... I don't think you
>> can't delete records this way.
>>
>> You should delete from one table and set up the relationships so the
>> delete
>> will cascade to any associated tables.

0
ms3400 (28)
2/25/2004 8:16:28 PM
I figured this out - enough to get my job done:
The delete query with a JOIN works when using .Execute from code vs. from the
object window.
Don't know why though.
Thanks,
mark

ms wrote:
> I also followed Access Help (Delete records from one table or tables in
> a one-to-one (and one-to-many) relationship) using the query design
> window and still it works as a select but fails as a Delete.  No
> information, no help, nothing.  Just says can't delete.
> This is what the query design query is in SQL:
>
> DELETE stageBMIDLog.*
> FROM stageBMIDLog, TMPstageBMIDLog
> WHERE TMPstageBMIDLog.TotalChgAhs=[stageBMIDLog].[TotalChgAhs] AND
> TMPstageBMIDLog.VehicleID=[stageBMIDLog].[vehicleid] AND
> TMPstageBMIDLog.BattID=[stageBMIDLog].[battid];
>

> ms wrote:
>
>> Thanks Bradley, but won't confuses me is, why does this Delete query
>> work then?   What makes a join query in a delete statement work?
>>
>> DELETE stageChargeLog.*
>> FROM ChargeLog INNER JOIN stageChargeLog ON
>> ([ChargeLog].[STTIME]=[stageChargeLog].[STTIME]) AND
>> ([ChargeLog].[STDATE]=[stageChargeLog].[STDATE]) AND
>> ([ChargeLog].[BattID]=[stageChargeLog].[BattID]);
>>

>> Bradley wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect it is because you've joined table together... I don't think
>>> you
>>> can't delete records this way.
>>>
>>> You should delete from one table and set up the relationships so the
>>> delete
>>> will cascade to any associated tables.

0
ms3400 (28)
2/25/2004 11:28:39 PM

ms wrote:
> I also followed Access Help (Delete records from one table or tables in
> a one-to-one (and one-to-many) relationship) using the query design
> window and still it works as a select but fails as a Delete.  No
> information, no help, nothing.  Just says can't delete.
> This is what the query design query is in SQL:
>
> DELETE stageBMIDLog.*
> FROM stageBMIDLog, TMPstageBMIDLog
> WHERE TMPstageBMIDLog.TotalChgAhs=[stageBMIDLog].[TotalChgAhs] AND
> TMPstageBMIDLog.VehicleID=[stageBMIDLog].[vehicleid] AND
> TMPstageBMIDLog.BattID=[stageBMIDLog].[battid];
>

> ms wrote:
>
>> Thanks Bradley, but won't confuses me is, why does this Delete query
>> work then?   What makes a join query in a delete statement work?
>>
>> DELETE stageChargeLog.*
>> FROM ChargeLog INNER JOIN stageChargeLog ON
>> ([ChargeLog].[STTIME]=[stageChargeLog].[STTIME]) AND
>> ([ChargeLog].[STDATE]=[stageChargeLog].[STDATE]) AND
>> ([ChargeLog].[BattID]=[stageChargeLog].[BattID]);
>>

>> Bradley wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect it is because you've joined table together... I don't think
>>> you
>>> can't delete records this way.
>>>
>>> You should delete from one table and set up the relationships so the
>>> delete
>>> will cascade to any associated tables.

0
ms3400 (28)

ADO Connection Open fails with error -2147467259 when MS Access database under Source Safe
Immediately after generating the Access application from the Source Safe project I get: "-2147467259 Could not use ''; file already in use." If Access database closed and then reopened I get: "-2147467259 The database has been place in a state by user 'Admin' on machine ..... that prevents it from being opened or locked." This error will then persist - even past a machine reboot and compact and repair of both application db (without source safe removal) and 'server' db. If I remove the Access application from Source Safe the ADO connection opens fine. (Might have to close database and reopen it to get it working the first time after eliminating source safe.) I do not appear to be short on memory. Am using: Access 2003 with sp1 Source Safe 6.0d Windows XP Professional with sp2 Database in Access 2002-2003 format Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.7 Library I have isolated error in test database with just one table and one form. Test1 fails under source safe while Test2 - which avoids use of the offending open command -works regardless of use of source safe. Any illumination on this would be appreciated. I have found the Source Safe & Access combination hard going but I do not want to loose source code control. This issue has undermined my confidence in these tools yet again. Many thanks. GM Option Compare Database Option Explicit Private Sub cmdTest1_Click() On Error GoTo Error_Handler Dim cnn As ADODB.Conne...

Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database
Hi all, I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint to this little annoying problem: I have a simple database that I want to be able to query from Excel. When I use the "new database query" wizard on an unsecured version of my database, everything works fine. I am able to read the tables and queries, I can build customized queries in Excel from the Access tables/queries. Now, the moment I secure my database I loose all connectiviity between Excel and Access. The wizard won't even connect to the database. When I add permission to "open/read database" object through "Users and Groups Permission" in Access, I am able to connect to the database and see all the tables/queries, but it does not show the fields. I thought that in theory if I add permissions to "read design" and "read data" to my tables and queries for the regular users that should solve the problem, but it doesn't. I am obviously missing something somewhere, but what? I searched the web but could not find anyting. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and Access 2003 and Excel 2003. Any advice???? Michael I'm actually just facing this problem as well myself, and have no answer. I have a secure database that's split front and backend. I've had split secure databases before where I have been able to query via excel, but for some reason, this one won't let me. ...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Access project database
Why isn't a database created on the MSDE?? Network: Two Win2K Pro machines connected as peers. (No domains.) MS Access is on X, MSDE2000A is on H. MS Access is run under: Windows Administrator. MSDE is set for Windows Authentication only. On using the Microsoft SQL Server Database Wizard to create an Access project, I don't specify a usename or password. After the wizard says it has the info it needs, it closes and a progress bar appears for a only a split second as the wizard tries to create the database. Indications are that the connections to the MSDE was dropped during creation. The result is that no database is created in the MSDE. Does Windows Authentication work on a peer-to-peer network?? Shouldn't the X Administrator be able to create a database on the H MSDE?? Lou Arnold ...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

Web resources about - Select qry works - delete qry fails - comp.databases.ms-access

Welsh Affairs Select Committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Welsh Affairs Select Committee (or simply the 'Welsh Affairs Committee') is a select committee of the House of Commons in the Parliament ...

kotaku selects
Kotaku Selects

Here They Come: Facebook Announces Premium Video Ads From ‘Select Group Of Advertisers’
Facebook video ads have finally arrived, at least for a “select group of advertisers,” as the social network announced the launch of what it ...

Adwea selects advisers for 350 megawatt solar park in Abu Dhabi
... solar park in Abu Dhabi announced last year, according to industry insiders. Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (Adwea) has selected ...

AMD to Bundle New Hitman Game with Select FX CPUs and Radeon 390 Series Video Cards
AMD announced this week that it will bundle the full version of the new Hitman game with its Radeon R9 390-series graphics cards as well as FX ...

Help select the official name for The Sandbox 2, arriving sometime this year
... other players are doing for a dose of inspiration. And along with taking a look at the games progress in the forums, you can even help select ...

HP teams up with iPass to offer global Wi-Fi across select devices, including those running Windows 10 ...
... including both tablets and laptops. The company is extending its partnership with iPass Inc to bring connectivity to what it terms "select devices". ...

Techstars Seattle selects nine startups for accelerator program
The Puget Sound area’s most prominent accelerator, Techstars Seattle, on Tuesday announced its class of 2016, featuring nine early-stage companies ...

Tesla Model 3 Unveiling Event To Have Very Select Guest List
... It seems that the Model X unveiling kerfuffle last year involving CEO Elon Musk and a rather touchy journalist has led to Musk being more selective ...

Nintendo officially announces new Nintendo Selects for the US
Due to a retailer leak we knew it was coming , but Nintendo officially announced the new US Nintendo Selects program today. On March 11, specific ...