selecting a subset of choices based on a first choice

Hello,
  I having trouble finding information on what I would like to do in
Access probably because I do not know the right keywords.  I am
designing a that uses genus and species of plants in two of the fields
(names genus and species).  Since there is a limited number of species
for a given genus, I would like the second field on the form have only
the values that match that genus.

For example, if my table looks like this:

genus1, species1
genus1, species2
genus1, species3
genus2, species4

I would like to make it possible that if you select genus1, the next
fields pull down menu would only display species1-3.  Does this make
sense?

Does anyway have any suggestions on how to do this or the proper
keywords to look up?

thanks

Yeah, perfect sense.  Read this article.  It explains how to do it.

http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0028.htm

0
pietlinden (2926)

Choices, choices, choices ...
Lectoribus Salutem, I was directed to this forum from comp.arch by one of your regulars, Joe Seigh, because of the following question: Given that you want to have a RA*S* (i.e., Reliable, Available and *Scalable* OS), how would you perform the following task on a ~100 CPU SMP machine: "Measure the number of instances of <some> kernel event" 1. You create a system wide single counter protected by a single system wide lock to keep track of the occurences of said event. 2. You create a processor-local counter of said event, and, in case you want to summarize system wide, sum the counters in the user space application and present them to the user. Please, discuss. Note that I'm not a regular of your newsgroup, so it's advisable to cc me if you have an answer different from the obvious .... -- Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290 Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands Maintainer, GNU Fortran 77: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/g77_news.html A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ > 2. You create a processor-local counter of said event, and, in case > you want to summarize system wide, sum the counters in the user > space application and present them to the user. This would be one way to go. The contention on a single system wide lock would be very bad. If the counter is small enough to be modified by atomic ops.....

Time for me to upgrade... Choices, choices, choices??
Hi there all you tech heads. I am after advice from "those in the know" about a box upgrade that I'm considering. Having being through this once before (and fluffing it with a 733 P3 just after P4 release) and missing any opportunity to make a meaningful (cpu only) upgrade. I "NEED" to spend as little as possible on my initial upgrade of Case, m/b, cpu (low budget), 512mb ddr & hdd. I have a reasonable appreciation of the value of higher fsb, P4 hyper threading and 64 bit 754 XP's, but don't have much of an idea as to the comparative value of the 462 XP's 400fsb, particularly as relates to P4 hyper threading and the likelihood of continuing production of faster (compatible architecture) cpu's that might be supported by my new m/b. i.e.... I understand the risk of architecture redundancy if I get it wrong and am trying to weigh the risk against the savings in cost for the three different options. Search and cost comparisons of local supply options for m/bs that support the potential advances of the three options (together with a desire to get 'off board graphics') are limiting me to low speed cpu's around 1600 - 2000 with lower fsb. This will be my most meaningful upgrade (other than graphics, sound and ram), and I would like to be in the hunt for a 3300+ + upgrade (if available). I guess my question is simply..... are 462 XP's with dual channel cpu's competitive enough (in your collective opinions) with ...

select first choice question
Hi sas users: I have data where student vote on their first choice for 18 categories of their peers. so I have a list of 200 students and the student selects only one for each category. here is an example of 3 categories and a lis of 9 names options nodate nonumber symbolgen; **proc printto file='lpt1:' new ; dm 'log;clear;out;clear;' ; data vote; input @1 (cat1-cat3) ($12.,+1); cards; AHUJA AHUJA AHUJA ALI ALI ALI BARRON BARRON BARRON BEACHAM BEACHAM BEACHAM BARRON BARRON BARRON BORDEN BORDEN BORDEN BOSTICK BOSTICK BORDEN BOWLING ALI BORDEN ; run; proc print; run; quit; Dr. Jamil Ibrahim, Ph.D. Institutional Research Associate Assistant Professor , SHRP Univ. Of Miss. Med. CTR. 2500 N state St Jackson, MS 39216 Tel. 601-984-1197 Fax 601-984-1205 Nternet: jibrahim@acadaff.umsmed.edu Jamil, What is you questio? Regards, Dennis Diskin Jamil Ibrahim <jibrahim@ACADAFF.UMSMED.EDU> wrote: Hi sas users: I have data where student vote on their first choice for 18 categories of their peers. so I have a list of 200 students and the student selects only one for each category. here is an example of 3 categories and a lis of 9 names options nodate nonumber symbolgen; **proc printto file='lpt1:' new ; dm 'log;clear;out;clear;' ; data vote; input @1 (cat1-cat3) ($12.,+1); cards; AHUJA AHUJA AHUJA ALI ALI ALI BARRON BARRON BARRON BEACHAM BEACHA...

[News] The Choice of Having No Choice
Microsoft's Ballmer preaches gospel of the rich client ,----[ Quote ] | With Microsoft and Intel we are the holy trinity - Jerry Sanders III, | ex-CEO of AMD | | [...] | | Microsoft is a rich server and Intel and AMD are rich clients. The | rest of us are unlikely to be enriched by their "innovations" | because pretty soon if you want to buy a PC you're going to be | practically forced to buy one with Vista, and with dual cores, | quadruple cores and the rest, simply because the vendors, the | distribution chain, the ISVs and the ODMs are all firmly pledged | to keep their snouts in the Windows trough. And the use of | "innovation" here is quite simply a synonym for nothing new at all. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35978 ...

Database choice
Hi The BDE is not supported by Borland anymore - what tech. should I use to write an application on a local machine for database access, without having a local server running like interbase? Rgds Sparky "Jaco van Niekerk" <sparky@lantic.net> wrote in message news:bnkitc$ejd$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net... > Hi > > The BDE is not supported by Borland anymore - what tech. should I use to > write an application on a local machine for database access, without having > a local server running like interbase? Don't take shortcuts. Sooner or late...

Choices$Write,Choices$Path
From Justin >Choices$Write is, generally, set once. Together with Choices$Path it >provides your configuration settings. If they're changed together (or even >independently) then your application won't see the files it saw before, >but it also should be robust and just use the new area. It might not be a >common operation, but you support it because your program is resillient to >such changes. > >[snip] > >> By using a primary Choices variable Myprog$Choices, the user could >> drag the choices destination to RAM or Memphis or set it to default >> Choices$Write. > >No. You read from Choices:<path> and you write to <Choices$Write>.<path>, >and that's the end of the story, pretty much. You absolutely should not >have a single variable pointing to the configuration. A single >variable does not allow you to differentiate between the place that you >read from, and the place that you write to. The two may be different. The >read area may be read only. The read area may be the default >configuration, and the write area is the user-specific configuration. > >You do it that way and everything works for everyone. There are no >special cases where one applications chooses to do it differently because >the author thought they were so special that the rules didn't apply to >them. If you are that special, you make damned sure that you ...

OT: Is any choice harder than no choice?
Recently a poster claimed that 'Adding a second choice makes it "harder for a consumer to choose'. " Does anyone have any scientific evidence to back that up? Short term memory is linked to decision making, and it is known that a human can have around 3-4 things in short term memory at a given time, so it seems to me that adding choice to the mixture would not make it harder. I have referenced plenty of links to studies that seemingly back this up (although to what extent is under dispute). So does anyone have any actual quotes or links to back up that a single choice is harder than no choice at all? I would appreciate it. Thanks. -- "I forge posts and get caught." - Snit On 2011-09-09, the following emerged from the brain of cc: > Recently a poster claimed that 'Adding a second choice makes it > "harder for a consumer to choose'. " Does anyone have any scientific > evidence to back that up? Short term memory is linked to decision > making, and it is known that a human can have around 3-4 things in > short term memory at a given time, so it seems to me that adding > choice to the mixture would not make it harder. I have referenced > plenty of links to studies that seemingly back this up (although to > what extent is under dispute). So does anyone have any actual quotes > or links to back up that a single choice is harder than no choice at > all? I would appreciate it. Thanks. Did it ever occur to y...

logic of limiting choices and forcing choices
Hi, I just can not find the set based sql approach to the following application logic: I have a table of choices with id and text, say: 1 coffee 2 tea 3 water 4 juice Now some users have restrictions, for example user 1 is disallowed coffeine. Some Users are forced one choice - user 2 is only allowed water, so there is another type of restriction. This would yield table choicerestrictions (userid, choiceid, tor): 1 2 exclude 1 2 exclude 2 3 force Is this a known application pattern I can read about somewhere? How could I get a result set in one select? This would be far better than doing it in the application. Table design: the force entry in choicerestrictions would be equivalent to exclude choices 1,2 and 4. I prefer a force entry, because it states the logic, and is better when you insert 5 milk into choices. Thanks for your comments. /Str. M. Strobel wrote: > I just can not find the set based sql approach to the following > application logic: > > I have a table of choices with id and text, say: > 1 coffee > 2 tea > 3 water > 4 juice > > Now some users have restrictions, for example user 1 is > disallowed coffeine. Some Users are forced one choice - user 2 is > only allowed water, so there is another type of restriction. > > This would yield table choicerestrictions (userid, choiceid, tor): > 1 2 exclude > 1 2 exclude > 2 3 force > > Is this a known applic...

Choice of language and databases
It struck me, that there does not seem to be a single language that serves many purposes, suitable for - business - databases - numerical / statistical applications - textual apps - web / publishing - multimedia C++ comes close, as does Java and C#. C++ seems more suited to technical engineering and others are suited to scripting / publishing. I may be wrong, but what else is there ? imutate@hotmail.co.uk writes: > It struck me, that there does not seem to be a single language that > serves many purposes, suitable for > - business > - databases > - numerical / statistical applications > - textual apps > - web / publishing > - multimedia > C++ comes close, as does Java and C#. C++ seems more suited to > technical engineering and others are suited to scripting / > publishing. I may be wrong, but what else is there ? What else? Have a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hello_world_programs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_programming_languages For your desires, mostly mid to high(er) level applications, I would suggest to take a look at the Lisp family (like Common Lisp), ML family (like Ocaml), Smalltalk (e.g. Squeak), Ruby, Python, Haskell, Mozart/Oz. Of course there are lot's of other really nice languages out there and the above list is in random order. Maybe for high performance number crunshing Ruby and Python are not the best choices (not too high speed interpreted s...

Choice
In the grocery store there are many, many kinds of cheese... I have tried several but many I have not and I have little interest in them. I do, however, sometimes make my own cheese. I just had a snack with some of my home made cream cheese. It was excellent. Choice. Grocery stores also have many kinds of pancake mix. I do not believe I have ever bought any of them, though I have had others pancakes made from them. I make my own. Started by - for the most part - following recipes. Then I made my own recipe... one very different from any other I have seen. I shared it with others... m...

Web resources about - selecting a subset of choices based on a first choice - comp.databases.ms-access

Consultation Document on the Methods for Selecting the Chief Executive and for Forming the LegCo in 2012 ...
The " Consultation Document on the Methods for Selecting the Chief Executive and for Forming the LegCo in 2012 " was a document published on ...

Voting Machine Caught on Camera Casting Ballot for Democrat when Selecting Republican - YouTube
**UPDATE.... I've heard many reports that this is "just a calibration issue." I will say this... when I went to page 2 and began voting for city ...

Selecting decor that will move with the times
What colours should I use in my home so that my d&#233;cor is neutral and flexible but not boring?

Clock ticking on selecting successor to Leigh Clifford at Qantas
With Qantas on course to chalk up its largest annual profit since 2008, the question now is whether chairman Leigh Clifford is looking to hang ...

More to selecting political background music than indiscriminate meandering
Gathering a song to use as a protest weapon can backfire.

Jackie French: Why selecting the right place for your plants is important
The secret of growing anything easily is to choose the best spot for what you want to grow.

Liberals begin 'super weekend' of selecting delegates
A race for the top job in the federal Liberal party gained momentum on Friday as rank and file party members began the selection process for ...

Boston Marathon bombing trial: Judge, lawyers face challenges in selecting jurors - CTV News
As the second phase of jury selection began in the federal death penalty trial of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, it immediately ...

Selecting cabinet one of first orders of business for Trudeau
One of the first orders of business for any new prime minister is picking a cabinet. Who is likely to make the cut?

Agile Analysis, Self-Selecting Teams, TDD & BDD in Methods & Tools Winter 2014 issue
... for software developers, testers and project managers – has just published its Winter 2014 issue that discusses Agile Analysis, Self-Selecting ...