Selecting text in a text box

When I attempt to select text in a text box, the text from the cursor
position to the end of the text is instantly selected as soon as I
click the mouse down. There seems to be no way to select just a small
portion of the text in a text box.

This seems pretty basic. What am I missing? I'm using Access 97 on an
XP system.

Steve Richfield

First, (I don't remember if this is an option in 97) check
Tools|Options|Keyboard tab, Behavior Entering Field. This setting will
adjust the behavior for all forms and controls.

Next, you would need to click at the start of the area you want to highlight
and drag over the rest of the area you want to highlight while holding down
the left mouse button until you reach the end of the desired text. If you
will always want to highlight the same section of text, then in the
control's Got Focus event you can select text using code. Check the SelStart
and SelLength properties in the VBA help file.

--
Wayne Morgan
MS Access MVP

"Steve Richfield" <google@smart-life.net> wrote in message
> When I attempt to select text in a text box, the text from the cursor
> position to the end of the text is instantly selected as soon as I
> click the mouse down. There seems to be no way to select just a small
> portion of the text in a text box.
>
> This seems pretty basic. What am I missing? I'm using Access 97 on an
> XP system.
>
> Steve Richfield

Unbound text box, text>255, MS Access/PostgreSQL
Hello. I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a commentary of a batch of records. There is a DAO Append Query that has a parameter that is passed from the text box using parameter of DAO QueryDef object. I adjusted B7 parameter (Text as LongVarchar) in connection string (ODBC driver) to 1, so that Access links PostgreSQL Text fields as Memo fields in Access. The intention was to be able to enter unlimited length commentary into the field. But, although I can enter unlimited text by using bound text box in some other forms, in this particular form I can't use bound control, so I need to pass text from UNBOUND control to the linked table by using DAO or ADO code. It seems that DAO query can't accept Memo as parameter, but only text. If my text exceeds length of 255, I have an VBA error 3271. If text in unbound text box is shorter that 255 everything is OK. So, is there any way to pass text of length >255 from unbound text box to Memo field of linked PostgreSQL table, by using DAO or ADO ? Thanks in advance, Zlatko On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 01:15:54 +0200, "Zlatko Mati�" <zlatko.matic1@sb.t-com.hr> wrote: >Hello. >I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: >There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a >commentary of a batch of records. >There is a DAO Append Query tha...

Displaying text in a text box depending on selection made in list box on same form
Hi I have an unbound text box on a form from which the user can choose a product. When the user chooses a product, I want the text box on the same form to display the description of that product. right now I can get it to display the row number of the product that corresponds to what the user clicked but not the value of the Product Description which is what I want. The fields in the tables are both text. here is the code: Private Sub LstContactProducts_AfterUpdate() txtProductDescription.SetFocus txtProductDescription.Text = LstContactProducts.Column(2,txtProductDescription) End Sub Thanks in advance Colin Colin, why don't you create the combobox, with from a table or query with all the information you need and use cboComboboxname.column(0), cboComboboxname.colum(1) etc etc...to populate the fields you want? HTH Michael "Colin Ward" <cward002@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:2a660c80.0308010710.26b3257@posting.google.com... > Hi I have an unbound text box on a form from which the user can choose > a product. When the user chooses a product, I want the text box on the > same form to display the description of that product. right now I can > get it to display the row number of the product that corresponds to > what the user clicked but not the value of the Product Description > which is what I want. The fields in the tables are both text. > > here is the code: > > Private Sub LstContactProducts_AfterUpdate() > txtP...

How do I 'SELECT All' text in a text box
I want to select all text in a multi line text box from a command butten. Thank for help Dave Try this... Private Sub Command1_Click() With Text1 .SelStart = 0 .SelLength = Len(.Text) .SetFocus End With End Sub Rick - MVP "Dave" <last2try@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:fo0b90h0j9imbvntdea3uu2mefth5teufr@4ax.com... > I want to select all text in a multi line text box from a command > butten. > > Thank for help > Dave ...

text + text

How to select all texts of the document of the format of the selected text?
Hi,i have selected a text of the document with the specified font face, color and size in MS Word 2000. Now , I want to select all the relevant texts from the entire document with the same format(face,color and size) as of the selected text. so Is there any method or shortcut to do this op.? Not really. You have to "walk" the document checking the styles as you go along. And You have to watch out for cases where the style changes in the middle of a word (!) and code accordingly to get the desired results. chetan26nov@gmail.com wrote: > Hi,i have selected a text of the document with the specified font face, > color and size in MS Word 2000. Now , I want to select all the relevant > texts from the entire document with the same format(face,color and > size) as of the selected text. > so Is there any method or shortcut to do this op.? ...

text box dependent on other text box entry
I want to have a form with 40 PartNumber text boxes, 40 PartDescription text boxes, and 40 PartPrice text boxes. The name of each would vary of course, but I want to be able to enter the part number in the PartNumber in the PartNumber text box for each replaced part. After the number has been entered the PartDescription and the PartPrice should show up in the other respective text boxes. I will be linking to a table that includes 3 columns labeled PartNumber, PartDescription, and PartPrice. For instance, if I enter "12345" in the PartNumber text box then the description of the part along with its price should appear in each of their respective text boxes. If PartNumber 12345 is a Washer that costs 0.75 then The PartDescription, and PartPrice should read Washer in PartDescription text box and $0.75 in the PartPrice text box. In other words I need some code or method that upon entering a PartNumber in the PartNumber field finds the record referred to and then returns the value other columns in the table. There should be no error if a field is left blank. This database will be used to enter warranty claims, so that the user will be able to enter parts and automatically know how much they will be reimbursed for the part. Thanks for your help, Shannan Casteel -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200507/1 hmm... 40 partnumber textboxes? Are you sure you don't want something like a d...

text-text

Adding Combo Box Text To A Text Box
I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any help is appreciated. This will do it: Private Sub ComboBox_AfterUpdate() If IsNull(Me.Textbox) Then Me.Textbox = ComboBox Else Me.Textbox = Me.Textbox & vbNewLine & ComboBox End If End Sub Wayne wrote: >I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value >from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to >do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: > >Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox > >I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in >the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using >Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. > >I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any >help is appreciated. -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http:/...

Show Text box on Top of another Text Box
Hi, I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain conditions are m= et it display either Green or Red. I want to put another text box on top of= it (this text box is smaller than the "conditional formating" text box) an= d have the the text in this text box displayed. Basically I want the condit= ional text box to form a colour border around the displayed text. How do I do that? Thanks, Barry On Apr 1, 11:18=A0am, Barry Edmund Wright <barry.edmund.wri...@witstoronto.ca> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain conditions are= met it display either Green or Red. I want to put another text box on top = of it (this text box is smaller than the "conditional formating" text box) = and have the the text in this text box displayed. Basically I want the cond= itional text box to form a colour border around the displayed text. > > How do I do that? > > Thanks, > Barry Why not overlay the textbox and set Visible =3D False. Then when true change to Visible =3D True. Barry Edmund Wright <barry.edmund.wright@witstoronto.ca> wrote in news:21224033.2400.1333297115162.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbdy 9: > Hi, > > I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain > conditions are met it display either Green or Red. I want to put > another text box on top of it (this text box is smaller than the > "conditional formating" text box) and hav...

Highlighy text in Text Box
Using an InputBox, there is the option to *suggest* text (Default). It appears highlighted and can be accepted or replaced by the user. I am attempting to create my own input form which has one Text Box, one command button (cmdAccept ) and a simple label to tell the user to make an entry. What I cannot do is to mimic that suggested default input string. Can someone show me how to do it? The following code is from a test program with two forms. '#### this is on FrmMain Private Sub Option1_Click() ' Other Event selected - 14 character maximum With FrmBGOther ...

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want to throw away your C++ and use Microsoft Access for the job? If you want to keep C++, you can ask for C++ code in another newsgroup, because we'd just be guessing. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

MS-Access 2007. Report. Text box format problem
Hi, I am new to MS-Access. I have created a very simple report in MS-Access based on an imported Excel spreadsheet. The individual costs are held in field "Item Cost". Each instance of the field is displayed on the report and the field has NO Format property associated. On the report the field displays with a currency symbol and two decimal places - which is what I want. I guess the currency format of the field is being picked up from the original Excel spreadsheet. I have in the report footer the total of "Item Cost" which is calculated by =Sum([Item Cost]). This calculation gives the correct value for the sum, but I cannot control the display format. In the report Design view this field =Sum([Item Cost]) has a property sheet which contains a format value of "Currency". However, on the generated report this value just displays as a standard decimal. How do I get the report to display =Sum([Item Cost]) with a leading currency symbol (UK Sterling in my case) and two decimal places? Thanks Clive "Clive" <clive_long@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8678680d-5123-4263-98c2-cfbb739fd5bb@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am new to MS-Access. > > I have created a very simple report in MS-Access based on an > imported Excel spreadsheet. > > The individual costs are held in field "Item Cost". Each instance of > the field is displayed on the report and the field has N...

MS Access
I've got a bound report with a query as the record source. I'm adding a total to the footer and have inserted a text box to display it. I'm attempting to set the control source of the text box to a different sum aggregate query using the expression builder. When I select the query and it's single field, single row field it inserts the following in the control source box for the text box. =[Qrydetsum_offtotal]![Office_total] I've tested the query ( Qrydetsum_offtotal ) independently and it runs and returns a single value each time for the calculated field, Office_total. But when the report runs it simply displays #error. As an alternative I've tried to load the result of the query into a variable and then reference the variable in the control source of the text box, but when I do that, nothing seems to happen. I'm sort of new to VBA, so if anyone has suggestions about how to do this or a simpler way, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks, Bob Bob: If you are looking up a single value then the DLookup function will probably work. There is also a DSum function when you need to calculate a sum from a table or query different from the record source. Information on both of these can be found in Access Help. -- David Lloyd MCSD .NET http://LemingtonConsulting.com This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties. "Bob" <rmcintire@network-spectrum.com> wrote in message news:111768...

Populate text boxes with combo box selection
I need to populate text boxes for instance with employee information using their unique employee works number selected from a combo box. Can anyone help, I am told thru visual basic this can be achieved. godber wrote: > I need to populate text boxes for instance with employee information > using their unique employee works number selected from a combo box. > Can anyone help, I am told thru visual basic this can be achieved. You can do it without VBA. Add extra columns to the combo box Set the width of the columns to 0 if you want to hide them In the text bnoxes you want to show the...

Access 2003
Fellows, Have an application with numerous forms, each containing multiple bound text boxes. As the user tabs from field to field down any of the forms, I want to change the selected text box background color from a white default to a different color, to make it easy to spot which field has the focus at any time. I am currently accomplishing this by using each text box's GotFocus and LostFocus events, each with a different textbox.backcolor color code which works perfectly. This, however, requires an enormous amount of labor in a large application, as two events have to be set for every single text box. Is there a way to accomplish the same with one block of code elsewhere in the application, hopefully public code in a module? Thanks in advance for any help or ideas. Arsene Arsene@selenium.net wrote: > Fellows, > > Have an application with numerous forms, each containing multiple > bound text boxes. As the user tabs from field to field down any of the > forms, I want to change the selected text box background color from a > white default to a different color, to make it easy to spot which > field has the focus at any time. I am currently accomplishing this by > using each text box's GotFocus and LostFocus events, each with a > different textbox.backcolor color code which works perfectly. This, > however, requires an enormous amount of labor in a large application, > as two events have to be set for every single text box. > &...

Get the real type of columns from MS Access databases(OLEObject, text, memo, numeric)
Hello, I made one application that opens MS Access databases.And I have one problem.How can I find the real data type of columns(text, memo, OLEObject, numeric) like it is into Access.I tried with resultSetMetaData.getColumnType(columnIndex) but I receive java.sql.Types.I have two columns that contains OLEObjects(images).But I receive two different types for columns : VARCHAR once, and for second column SMALLINT.I only want to see the types like in Access(OLEObjects, Text, Numeric, Memo...).Thanks in advance! Best regards, Calin Pop ...

How to get text in text box to wrap?
The variable {job-name} in this code snippet does NOT wrap, resulting in the text running off the page. How would I get job-name to word wrap? pageWidth 36 mul % x = pageWidth * 1/2 * 72 pageHeight 36 mul % y = pageHeight * 1/2 * 72 pageHeight 2 mul add % y += 1 line 2 copy % Copy X & Y moveto (Title: ) RIGHT moveto ({job-name}) show This postscript file is from the CUPS printing application on a Linux system. Here is the complete file: FILE: /usr/share/cups/banners/standard %!PS-Adobe-3.0 %%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792 %%Pages: 1 %%LanguageLevel: 1 %%DocumentData: Clean7Bit %%DocumentSuppliedResources: procset bannerprint/1.0 %%DocumentNeededResources: font Helvetica Helvetica-Bold Times-Roman %%Creator: Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products %%CreationDate: May 10, 2000 %%Title: Test Page %%EndComments %%BeginProlog %%BeginResource procset bannerprint 1.1 0 % % PostScript banner page for the Common UNIX Printing System ("CUPS"). % % Copyright 1993-2005 Easy Software Products % % These coded instructions, statements, and computer programs are the % property of Easy Software Products and are protected by Federal % copyright law. Distribution and use rights are outlined in the file % "LICENSE.txt" which should have been included with this file. If this % file is missing or damaged please contact Easy Software Products % at: % % Attn: CUPS Licensing Information % Easy Software Products % 44141 Airport View Drive...

format bold text in a text box
I have a text box with this: =" Your name is: " $ [Name] $ " and last name is " $ [Lname] I want ONLY the [Name] and [Lname} to format bold and the other text not. Could I do this? You would needt use an RTF control for this. Hav a look at http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm -- Terry Kreft "yiannis" <postnews@freemail.gr> wrote in message news:eeatc8$oql$1@volcano1.grnet.gr... > I have a text box with this: > =" Your name is: " $ [Name] $ " and last name is " $ [Lname] > > I want ONLY the [Name] and [Lname} to format bold and the other text not. > > Could I do this? > > ...

Text bind command not selecting text
I am putting together a small report editor and need some help with the following problem. I would like the user to type in some text and then later be able to select either all of it or a portion of it for formatting (ie. centering, bold, italic,etc.) by typing in a command like Ctrl-A. The following code is what I came up for this process but for some reason the text does not get selected. Can someone tell why this code doesn't work? ################################################################ # use strict ; use Tk ; use Tk::NoteBook ; my $fTab ; my $mw = MainW...

Sorting Delimited Text in a Text Box
Access 2003. The situation is this: I have a "criteria selection form" in which there are a many different criteria, mostly displayed as combo and text boxes in which a user can enter stuff, click an associated button and that criteria becomes part of the where clause of a select statement. The selected criteria is stored on a hidden form and when the user is ready to run their report(s), a button action goes through the hidden form and builds a select statement. For example, say buildings has a partial combo box list which shows: PK (hidden) Bldg Name 1 Arts Building 2 Biology Building 6 Chemistry Building 8 Student Building A user want to look at records from Chemistry and Arts, so the hidden form "SQL WHERE STAEMENT" field would store values like this when Arts was selected: BLDG_PK = 1 Then, altered to look like this when Chemistry is selected: BLDG_PK IN (1, 6) And so on as more buildings may or may not be selected. That's all well and good. However, along with the "SQL WHERE STAEMENT" field, there's also a "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION" field. This adds the Building Names so that the user sees a criteria view somewhere that is also reproduced as a report header which lists the buildings selected. I'm using a line break, vbcrlf, as a delimiter here. So if the user selected in the same order as in the example, the "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION" field will look...

Remove extraneous text in a text box
I get text in a text box that looks like this: Hello On computer COMPNAME the following happened: New File: C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\FileName.xls 7/25/2011 1:25:10 PM How do I remove everything except the folder path and file name? It's too much for me. C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\ = Foldername FileName.xls = Filename Bjarne "musicloverlch" skrev i meddelelsen news:3b273dd8-e1c7-43e9-84dc-2b9aee46ded6@e40g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... I get text in a text box that looks like this: Hello On computer COMPNAME the following happened: New File: C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\FileName.xls 7/25/2011 1:25:10 PM How do I remove everything except the folder path and file name? It's too much for me. The text must come from some VBA coding... Checkout VBA module for the form where the text box belongs, and search for the text... Correct the VBA code to what u need...(Folder and FileName) Bjarne "bsn" skrev i meddelelsen news:4e2dfb3d$0$56791$edfadb0f@dtext02.news.tele.dk... C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\ = Foldername FileName.xls = Filename Bjarne "musicloverlch" skrev i meddelelsen news:3b273dd8-e1c7-43e9-84dc-2b9aee46ded6@e40g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... I get text in a text box that looks like this: Hello On computer COMPNAME the following happened: New File: C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\FileName.xls 7/25/2011 1:25:10 PM How do I remove everything excep...

Box of text with width of another text
Hi, how can I make a box that contains one string, but has the width of another? For example, is there a command like \widthoffirstboxbox{$T$}{$T_a$} which creates a box which contains $T_a$ but has the width of $T$? Best regars, Paul Paul Kaletta <paulkaletta@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > how can I make a box that contains one string, but has the width of > another? > > For example, is there a command like > > \widthoffirstboxbox{$T$}{$T_a$} > > which creates a box which contains $T_a$ but has the width of $T$? \usepackage{calc} \makebox[\widthof{$T$}]{$T_a$} Ciao Enrico Paul Kaletta <paulkaletta@googlemail.com> writes: > Hi, > > how can I make a box that contains one string, but has the width of > another? > > For example, is there a command like > > \widthoffirstboxbox{$T$}{$T_a$} > > which creates a box which contains $T_a$ but has the width of $T$? \llap{$T_a$}\phantom{$T$} -- Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail. Paul Kaletta <paulkaletta@googlemail.com> writes: > Hi, > > how can I make a box that contains one string, but has the width of > another? > > For example, is there a command like > > \widthoffirstboxbox{$T$}{$T_a$} > > which creates a box which contains $T_a$ but has the width of $T$? \rlap{$T_a$}\hphantom{$T$} -- Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail. ...

Deselecting text in input text box
I have a text input box and I don't want the text to be selected either when the user tabs to the item or if the user clicks on it. Now the function below which I found from 2002 in the archive works fine for IE 6 but it works in neither Netscape 7 nor Firefox 1.0. I'm hoping some of you might have an alternative suggestion or insight for Netscape and Firefox. Code that works in IE6: function clearSelection () { if (document.selection) document.selection.empty(); else if (window.getSelection) window.getSelection().removeAllRanges(); } <input type="text" name=...

Web resources about - Selecting text in a text box - comp.databases.ms-access

Consultation Document on the Methods for Selecting the Chief Executive and for Forming the LegCo in 2012 ...
The " Consultation Document on the Methods for Selecting the Chief Executive and for Forming the LegCo in 2012 " was a document published on ...

Voting Machine Caught on Camera Casting Ballot for Democrat when Selecting Republican - YouTube
**UPDATE.... I've heard many reports that this is "just a calibration issue." I will say this... when I went to page 2 and began voting for city ...

Selecting decor that will move with the times
What colours should I use in my home so that my d&#233;cor is neutral and flexible but not boring?

Clock ticking on selecting successor to Leigh Clifford at Qantas
With Qantas on course to chalk up its largest annual profit since 2008, the question now is whether chairman Leigh Clifford is looking to hang ...

More to selecting political background music than indiscriminate meandering
Gathering a song to use as a protest weapon can backfire.

Jackie French: Why selecting the right place for your plants is important
The secret of growing anything easily is to choose the best spot for what you want to grow.

Liberals begin 'super weekend' of selecting delegates
A race for the top job in the federal Liberal party gained momentum on Friday as rank and file party members began the selection process for ...

Boston Marathon bombing trial: Judge, lawyers face challenges in selecting jurors - CTV News
As the second phase of jury selection began in the federal death penalty trial of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, it immediately ...

Selecting cabinet one of first orders of business for Trudeau
One of the first orders of business for any new prime minister is picking a cabinet. Who is likely to make the cut?

Agile Analysis, Self-Selecting Teams, TDD & BDD in Methods & Tools Winter 2014 issue
... for software developers, testers and project managers – has just published its Winter 2014 issue that discusses Agile Analysis, Self-Selecting ...