Sharing .MDB between Access 2.0 and Access 2003

I have a .MDB back-end database that is created with Access 2.0.
And multiple front-end mdb's, some are created by Access 2.0, and the
rest are created by Access 2003.
The fron-ends had table attachments to the back-end database.
The problem is I'm unable to access any table by both versions of
Access in the same time!

Here are the steps to replicate the problem

1- Open one Access 2.0 front-end mdb, then open the attached table T1
2- Open another Access 2003 front-end mdb, try to open the same
attached table, you will get the error "Could not use .mdb; file
already in use."
3- I can only open the table from Access 2.0 front-end.

It seems Access 2.0 locks the table against 2003 version only.

I'm trying to find a patch/service pack, workaround.
Your feed back is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Moor

The easiest workaround would be to export the data from the
tables in the Acc2.0 mdb as textfiles and then import those textfiles
into an Acc2003 mdb.  If this will be tedious because you have a few
dozen tables to export then an alternative would be to ... well, you
could automate the process with VBA and loop through the tabledefs
collection (for the table names) and create the textfiles that way and
then import them into a Acc2003 mdb.

Rich

rpng123 (1033)
6/9/2008 9:26:35 PM
Thanks, Rich,

In fact the problem is not in the Export/Import process. It is about
opening the 2.0 mdb files using different versions of MS Access,
epecifically 2.0 and 2003.

Best regards,

Mourad
Moor <mourad.barakat@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a .MDB back-end database that is created with Access 2.0.
>And multiple front-end mdb's, some are created by Access 2.0, and the
>rest are created by Access 2003.
>The fron-ends had table attachments to the back-end database.
>The problem is I'm unable to access any table by both versions of
>Access in the same time!

Is this a new problam or has this never worked?

A2003 doesn't support A2.0 so I'm not sure if you'll ever get this working if it's
never worked before.
Error Message: You Must Install the Microsoft Access 2.0 Converter in Order to
Convert This File
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830271

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

I will have to admit I was not clear about my question.

I have two front-end databases, one is version 2.0 and the other is
version 2003.
Both have links to tables that are stored in a back-end database
(version 2.0)
Now I open the 2.0 Front-end database using Access 2.0
Then open the 2003 front-end database using Access 2003 (from another
machine)
Now I cannot open any linked table in Access 2003, I get the error
"Could not use '.mdb'; file already in use.
It seems Access 2.0 locks the whole database.

Upgrading the back-end database to 2003 is not an option.
Upgrading ALL the front-ends to 2003 is not an option either.
I have to live with the situation of mixed front-end and 2.0 back-end

Thanks for reading,

Mourad
Moor <mourad.barakat@gmail.com> wrote:

>I will have to admit I was not clear about my question.
>
>I have two front-end databases, one is version 2.0 and the other is
>version 2003.
>Both have links to tables that are stored in a back-end database
>(version 2.0)
>Now I open the 2.0 Front-end database using Access 2.0
>Then open the 2003 front-end database using Access 2003 (from another
>machine)
>Now I cannot open any linked table in Access 2003, I get the error
>"Could not use '.mdb'; file already in use.
>It seems Access 2.0 locks the whole database.
>
>Upgrading the back-end database to 2003 is not an option.
>Upgrading ALL the front-ends to 2003 is not an option either.
>I have to live with the situation of mixed front-end and 2.0 back-end

I undetstand all that.  However you didn't answer my question.

Is this a new problam or has this never worked before?  Was this working for you at
one time?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
ttoews (2789)
6/11/2008 6:44:32 PM
This is a new situation, that came up when I decided it's time to
upgrade.
Moor <mourad.barakat@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is a new situation, that came up when I decided it's time to
>upgrade.

I doubt very much you will find a solution.   I suspect that MS removed support for
A2.0 in A2003.

Now it may be possible to use A2000 to link to an A2.0 MDB.  Ah, here we go.  A quote
from A2000 help.

"Run the Linked Table Manager (Tools menu, Database Utilities command) to link the
new Microsoft Access 2000 front-end database to the tables in the previous-version
database. You can then enhance the Microsoft Access 2000 front-end database to
support new features, for users that have upgraded to Microsoft Access 2000. Users of
previous versions can continue to use the previous-version database. For example, if
the back-end tables are in Microsoft Access version 2.0 format, you can use up to
four versions of Microsoft Access: Microsoft Access version 2.0 (using the original
database), Microsoft Access 95 and 97 (using an enabled version of the original
database or a converted front-end database), and Microsoft Access 2000 (using a
converted front-end database). "

One possibility then might be to use an A2000 runtime for your users to use A2.0
data.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
ttoews (2789)
6/12/2008 5:15:36 AM
Thanks, Tony,

I've found some work around, but I need to do more testing.
If I open a 2003 front-end FIRST, then open the other 2.0 front-end,
things seem to work OK. I even tested some concurret updates and they
succeded!
I colcluded that if the .ldb file (for the back-end database 2.0) was
initially created by A2.0, for some reason A2003 fails to open it or
fails to recognize its contents. So by creating it using A2003, then
it can be oened and read by A2.0 !!
My concern is that the Locking layout in the header page of the
database is different: A2.0 use 256 bytes (one byte per user), and
starts at x700 Hex, while A2003 use 512 bytes (2 bytes per user), and
starts at x600 Hex! But Microsoft claims that Jet 3.x (used by A2003)
is backword compatible to Jet 2.x, and it can access linked tables
created by Jet 2.x

Best regards,

Mourad

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Cannot open same table using Access 2.0 and Access 2003 in the same time
I'm unable to to open a linked table T that is stored in an Access 2.0 MDB database file (shared/back-end,) using both Access 2.0 and Access 2003, in the same time. Here is the scenario: 1- Start Access 2.0 and open the linked table T. 2- Start Access 2003 then try to open the same linked table T. 3- You may get the error "Could not use <.mdb file name>; file already in use." It seems Access 2.0 "Locks" the table for exclusive use, but how to explain that another instance of Access 2.0 still CAN open the same table in the same time! Please note: Access 2.0 and Access 2003 runs on two separate machines, while the shared/back-end mdb file is stored on a third machine. Please note upgrading the back-end database to 2003 is NOT a feasible solution in the current time! Thanks ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing and playing around a little with *a* *copy* of the database and see what turns up. Most likely, you'd need to set the directory in which the database resides, as a trusted location. A very good sumup of "the good, bad and ugly" ;-) of Access 2007 is this list by Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Roy-Vidar Simon, Best wishes to you too. One question: why do you use so many carriage returns in your messages? They cause readers having to unnecessary scroll. Thanks, John "Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> schreef in bericht news:495f3ebf$0$28733$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl... > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access > 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon >...

ODBC: How to install Access 2.0-Drivers when Access 2003 is installed
Hi I'm running Windows 2000 and Office 2003. I want to copy tables from an unknown database format into Access 2.0 and I could do it quite easily if it weren't for the fact that recent ODBC-drivers aren't capable of writing into an Access 2.0 database (only reading). I do have the old Access 2.0 disks including odbc-driver, but it doesn't install on my machine (probably because the newer ones are installed...). And yes, I know that updating the Access-database is probably the first thought that everybody has, but it's not practicable in this case. So... how to install Acce...

Playing & recording WAVE-type sound in MS Access
I've followed the instructions found on Microsoft's site... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;149119&Product=acc97 Here are those instructions... To play and record sounds, follow these steps: Create the following new table in Design view: Table: Messages ----------------------- Field Name: Message Data Type: OLE Object Save the table as Messages, and then close the table. Create a new form in Design view based on the Messages table. Add the following controls to the form: Bound Object Frame: Name: Message ...

how to access MS data access 2.7 sdk ???
I keep getting the following when trying to create a connection to a database : Error: User defined type not declared . The declaration it is complaining about is : c1 As ADODB.Connecton I'm re-entering this mess from a couple of years ago, and just want to connect to a DB2 v8.1 database from a VB app. Any suggestions, code examples, etc., would be appreciated. Mairhtin O'Feannag mairhtin at techsolutionsgroupllc dot com ... On 24 May 2004 13:31:01 -0700, in comp.lang.basic.visual.database you wrote: >I keep getting the following when trying to create a co...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Access 97 to Access 2003
Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with access 2003. Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end. Guess I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front. Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for? Any VBA hasles? Horror stories?? Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches. Hi Tom. This link contains our experience with upgrading Access. It does not address the SQL Server aspects, but does describe Setup, Conversion, and Usability issues: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://members.iinet.net.au...

Access 97 or Access 2003
Hi everybody I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. Question: -Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? Thank's On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:28:20 -0400, "Sylmena" <sylmena1@hotmail.com> wrote: > I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. > >Question: >-Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? If you use MS Access '97, more people will be able to access your data. Access '97 doesn't use Unicode - a space/speed advantage if you are not storing Russian or a language other than English. I can't think ...

Access 2003/Access 2007
I have a mde database file developed for a client. This was originally set up and run in Access 2003. Everything worked fine. Recently this client purchased several new computers. These computers came with Access 2007. Now whenever an Access 2007 user opens the database, it locks the database for all other users. I have checked all the Access settings I know to check. These new machines are also running Windows 7. I am not sure if this is enough information or if anyone has seen this behavior and may have some suggestions. Any help is appreciated. Hello, open the options ...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Web resources about - Sharing .MDB between Access 2.0 and Access 2003 - comp.databases.ms-access

Sharing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sharing is the joint use of a resource or space. In its narrow sense, it refers to joint or alternating use of an inherently finite good, such ...

Feature Request: Family Sharing w/ individual payments, shared iCloud storage upgrades, more
I’ve never been a Family Sharing user, Apple’s feature that allows families to share iCloud account access for things like photos and music on ...

Samsung Galaxy S7 Family Supports Wi-Fi Sharing
Android devices have had the ability to generate a Wi-Fi hotspot for many years now. The feature may not be supported by your carrier or your ...

A brilliant plan to make online movie sharing legal
Sharing copyrighted movies online is not legal, and rights owners are still furious about the amount of piracy out there — though many studies ...

Changes to Instagram photo sharing prompt backlash - Videos - CBS News
Instagram has made significant changes to its algorithms for photo sharing and many users are unhappy with the changes. CNET section editor Dan ...

400M people will rely on robotic car sharing by 2030
A new car-sharing economy has already taken root, and it will continue to grow as self-driving vehicles come to market. According to a report ...

San Francisco Tells Home-Sharing Hosts They’ll Have To Pay Taxes On Rental Furnishings
If you’ve been renting out your home in San Francisco through services like Airbnb and HomeAway, you’re about to start paying more taxes. The ...

Carnegie Deli's Sharing Charge Is a Quintessential New York Ripoff
... when Carnegie Deli reopened in January, it maintained its longstanding policy of levying something rarely seen in the New York City: a sharing ...

The Sharing Economy Is Offering to Fill to Your Tech Support Needs
A growing number of companies are offering just-in-time tech support for companies that can't afford full time techies but need help quickly. ...

How Imgur Became An Image-Sharing, Meme-Generating Megacommunity
It serves up almost a trillion images a year. But it's the weird, jokey comradeship that keeps its most loyal members coming back. "Everybody! ...