Should I upgrade from MS Access 97 to MS Access 2002

Hi guys

My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5
for several years now.

Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other
parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest
version?

And what does MS JET do?

Kjell Arne Johansen

MS Jet is the database engine that comes with, and is, by default, used by
Microsoft Access.

If you aren't having any troubles with the Access 97 database, then there
isn't any technical reason to change. There may be company political reasons
if, say, the IT department only wants to have one version of Access
in-house.

Another reason might be if you were concerned about getting support (error
fix support) from Microsoft. Then again, when is the last time you had to
call Microsoft support for this database?

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in
message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no...
> Hi guys
>
> My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5
> for several years now.
>
> Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other
> parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest
> version?
>
> And what does MS JET do?
>
> Kjell Arne Johansen

0
larry.linson (181)
8/5/2003 9:42:01 PM
"Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in
message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no...
> Hi guys
>
> My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5
> for several years now.
>
> Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other
> parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest
> version?
>
> And what does MS JET do?
>
> Kjell Arne Johansen

 http://www.mvps.org/access/

HTH
Kelly Groves, MVP

0
kelgro009 (4)
8/6/2003 2:54:27 AM
Thank you for your answer.

Two items I forgot is the MS Access 97 database size limit and new
commands in the MS JET DDL.

The file size for a MS Access 97 database is 1 GB.  Is it any file
size limits in MS Access 2002?

Earlier this year we decided that one of our text fields in the
database should be extended from 80 characters to 100 characters.
Old databases at the customer sites should be upgraded using our
upgrade tool but I did not find any SQL commands for doing so the easy
way.

Someone suggested to use the "Alter Table" and "Alter Column" MS JET
commands but I don't think these commands are supported by MS JET 3.5?

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:42:01 GMT, "Larry  Linson"
<larry.linson@ntpcug.org> wrote:

>MS Jet is the database engine that comes with, and is, by default, used by
>Microsoft Access.
>
>If you aren't having any troubles with the Access 97 database, then there
>isn't any technical reason to change. There may be company political reasons
>if, say, the IT department only wants to have one version of Access
>in-house.
>
>Another reason might be if you were concerned about getting support (error
>fix support) from Microsoft. Then again, when is the last time you had to
>call Microsoft support for this database?
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP
>

>"Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in
>message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no...
>> Hi guys
>>
>> My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5
>> for several years now.
>>
>> Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other
>> parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest
>> version?
>>
>> And what does MS JET do?
>>
>> Kjell Arne Johansen

Thank you!!

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 02:54:27 GMT, "Kelly Groves"
<kelgro009@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in
>message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no...
>> Hi guys
>>
>> My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5
>> for several years now.
>>
>> Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other
>> parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest
>> version?
>>
>> And what does MS JET do?
>>
>> Kjell Arne Johansen
>

> http://www.mvps.org/access/
>
>HTH
>Kelly Groves, MVP

Thank you!

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:43:52 +0000, Bullschmidt
<paul@bullschmidt.com-nospam> wrote:

>I wouldn't upgrade unless you found some need for it.
>
>--
>J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Access and ASP Developer
>http://www.Bullschmidt.com/Login.asp - Database on the Web Demo
>http://www.Bullschmidt.com/Access
>Sample Access Invoices Database

"Kjell Arne Johansen" wrote

 > Two items I forgot is the MS Access
 > 97 database size limit and new
 > commands in the MS JET DDL.
 > The file size for a MS Access 97 data-
 > base is 1 GB.  Is it any file
 > size limits in MS Access 2002?

The maximum file size for Access 2000/2002 is 2 GB, but in either case, if
you need more, you can link tables in multiple Access databases. Because of
this, you will run into performance problems long before you run into "size"
problems due to the 1 or 2 GB limits. BTW, because of the use of Unicode,
you won't get the _full_ benefit of the doubled size, even though the
Unicode compression option is set by default in tables and Western typefaces
compress to one-byte character, in most cases.

 > Someone suggested to use the "Alter
 > Table" and "Alter Column" MS JET
 > commands but I don't think these
 > commands are supported by MS JET 3.5?

"DDL" commands have been available since Access 1.1, but most Access folk
don't normally use them as there are convenient and well-documented
Collections and Containers accessible via VBA code. If you happen to be an
SQL-wonk and want to use the SQL DDL, then you can accomplish what you want.
I don't use DDL, so I can't say about those specific statements, but I would
think they are supported by Jet 3.51. For example, you might have to create
a new column, set its properties they way you want, then populate it with
data from the old column, then delete the old column.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

0
larry.linson (181)
8/7/2003 2:14:52 AM
Thank You for Your help.

We use our database in process systems to store alarms and it will be
good to have another 1G with space.

You wrote that it was possible to link tables accross Access
databases.  Are relations also handled?  Can this be done runtime e.g.
automatic creation of a new database and linking of tables?

Kjell Arne Johansen

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:14:52 GMT, "Larry  Linson"
<larry.linson@ntpcug.org> wrote:

>"Kjell Arne Johansen" wrote
>
> > Two items I forgot is the MS Access
> > 97 database size limit and new
> > commands in the MS JET DDL.
> > The file size for a MS Access 97 data-
> > base is 1 GB.  Is it any file
> > size limits in MS Access 2002?
>
>The maximum file size for Access 2000/2002 is 2 GB, but in either case, if
>you need more, you can link tables in multiple Access databases. Because of
>this, you will run into performance problems long before you run into "size"
>problems due to the 1 or 2 GB limits. BTW, because of the use of Unicode,
>you won't get the _full_ benefit of the doubled size, even though the
>Unicode compression option is set by default in tables and Western typefaces
>compress to one-byte character, in most cases.
>
> > Someone suggested to use the "Alter
> > Table" and "Alter Column" MS JET
> > commands but I don't think these
> > commands are supported by MS JET 3.5?
>
>"DDL" commands have been available since Access 1.1, but most Access folk
>don't normally use them as there are convenient and well-documented
>Collections and Containers accessible via VBA code. If you happen to be an
>SQL-wonk and want to use the SQL DDL, then you can accomplish what you want.
>I don't use DDL, so I can't say about those specific statements, but I would
>think they are supported by Jet 3.51. For example, you might have to create
>a new column, set its properties they way you want, then populate it with
>data from the old column, then delete the old column.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP

Relations are only enforced within the same database... that is, Jet will
not enforce referential integrity between two tables that are in different
databases.

Yes, you can create a new database, populate it with tables, and link those
tables. There's an example, for temporary tables, at MVP Tony Toews' site,
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm. What I like to do for temp tables is
have an empty "template" table in my DB, just create the new database, and
use CopyObject to copy only the structure of the "template" table(s) to the
new DB.

message news:3f324781.879867242@news.eunet.no...
> Thank You for Your help.
>
> We use our database in process systems to store alarms and it will be
> good to have another 1G with space.
>
> You wrote that it was possible to link tables accross Access
> databases.  Are relations also handled?  Can this be done runtime e.g.
> automatic creation of a new database and linking of tables?
>
> Kjell Arne Johansen
>

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:14:52 GMT, "Larry  Linson"
> <larry.linson@ntpcug.org> wrote:
>
> >"Kjell Arne Johansen" wrote
> >
> > > Two items I forgot is the MS Access
> > > 97 database size limit and new
> > > commands in the MS JET DDL.
> > > The file size for a MS Access 97 data-
> > > base is 1 GB.  Is it any file
> > > size limits in MS Access 2002?
> >
> >The maximum file size for Access 2000/2002 is 2 GB, but in either case,
if
> >you need more, you can link tables in multiple Access databases. Because
of
> >this, you will run into performance problems long before you run into
"size"
> >problems due to the 1 or 2 GB limits. BTW, because of the use of Unicode,
> >you won't get the _full_ benefit of the doubled size, even though the
> >Unicode compression option is set by default in tables and Western
typefaces
> >compress to one-byte character, in most cases.
> >
> > > Someone suggested to use the "Alter
> > > Table" and "Alter Column" MS JET
> > > commands but I don't think these
> > > commands are supported by MS JET 3.5?
> >
> >"DDL" commands have been available since Access 1.1, but most Access folk
> >don't normally use them as there are convenient and well-documented
> >Collections and Containers accessible via VBA code. If you happen to be
an
> >SQL-wonk and want to use the SQL DDL, then you can accomplish what you
want.
> >I don't use DDL, so I can't say about those specific statements, but I
would
> >think they are supported by Jet 3.51. For example, you might have to
create
> >a new column, set its properties they way you want, then populate it with
> >data from the old column, then delete the old column.
> >
> >  Larry Linson
> >  Microsoft Access MVP

0
larry.linson (181)

conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000
hi access gurus would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to be expected and how to handle it. also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, update and delete. thanx in advance, regards bala balkiicbe@yahoo.com (bala) wrote in message news:<b62a781b.0310080544.6d2a08fc@posting.google.com>... > hi access gurus > > would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms > access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to > be expected and how to handle it. > > also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms > access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, > update and delete. > > thanx in advance, > > regards > bala About the only thing that's seriously different when you upgrade from 97 to 2000 is that if you have any code behind your forms, 97 uses DAO and 2000 uses ADO, so the ADO library is registered by default in 2000. You'll just have to unregister it and register DAo 3.6 instead. Access should do the conversion for you... hi Pieter thanx for the information, well have used ADO in ms access 97 so i think the conversion shouldn't be a problem. take care and best of luck regards bala ...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

MS Access reports containing line charts are inaccurate after upgrade from access 97 to 2000
Dear all, I've encountered an unusual problem having just recently upgraded an Access 97 database to Access 2000 format and was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of a solution. 1. The problem: Essentially, a couple of the reports which contain SeriesLine charts are NOT displaying the series-lines (i.e. the results) on the charts correctly in Preview mode or when printed out. However, they ARE displaying the results correctly on the charts when the reports are viewed in DESIGN mode. 2. Background: -I have upgraded the database from Access 97 to 2000 format with very few changes. -The forms and reports are from the original Access 97 database -A few minor mods were made to the VBA code but none of this affects the reports. -I have checked the recordsets used by the charts in both 97 and 2000 versions and the data used is identical. Thus it appears to be something to do with how the chart 'object' is interpreting the recordset. The Access 97 database was using the following references -DAO 3.51. -Microsoft Access 8.0 object library The Access 2000 format db includes the following references -DAO 3.6 -Microsoft Access 8.0 object library Thanks in advance Nick J Sorry, A mistake in my previous post. The Access 2000 format db is using "Microsoft Access 9.0 object library", not 8.0 as previously posted. "NickJ" <johnsonn@unimelb.edu.au> wrote in message news:42df1572$1@news.unimelb.edu.au... &g...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

MS Access '97 and MS-Office XP-SBE, would it work?
Hello, I apologize if this been asked earlier many times; I use MS-Office XP Small Business Edition, which doesn't include MS-Access - but I own the older Office '97 Pro (not installed) though as well, which includes Access database. Can I add this older version of database to my setup, or there will be problems, because maybe versions incompatibility or something like that? I really don't want to "try it" in order to find out, because my box (Win2kPro-SP4) is working 100% error free, and I want to keep it that way. I know that incompatible software can cause really big headaches which are sometimes hard to troubleshoot - in this case I'd rather pay an extra and buy the fully compatible MS-Access XP or whatever version I'd need for smooth integration, or I could setup another PC with Office97 as well and run the database stuff there - whatever makes sense. Thanks for advice! Dave "davidl" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:EgJCb.1424$jK3.21@twister.socal.rr.com... > Hello, > > I apologize if this been asked earlier many times; I use MS-Office XP Small > Business Edition, which doesn't include MS-Access - but I own the older > Office '97 Pro (not installed) though as well, which includes Access > database. > > Can I add this older version of database to my setup, or there will be > problems, because maybe versions incompatibility or something like that? I > really don't want ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing and playing around a little with *a* *copy* of the database and see what turns up. Most likely, you'd need to set the directory in which the database resides, as a trusted location. A very good sumup of "the good, bad and ugly" ;-) of Access 2007 is this list by Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Roy-Vidar Simon, Best wishes to you too. One question: why do you use so many carriage returns in your messages? They cause readers having to unnecessary scroll. Thanks, John "Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> schreef in bericht news:495f3ebf$0$28733$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl... > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access > 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon >...

Web resources about - Should I upgrade from MS Access 97 to MS Access 2002 - comp.databases.ms-access

H-1 upgrade program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The H-1 upgrade program refers to the United States Marine Corps 's program to develop the AH-1Z Viper and UH-1Y Venom to replace its aging fleets ...

Tumblr Referrals From Facebook Up 2.5X Following Upgrade For Timeline
Since upgrading for timeline and launching with open graph in April, Tumblr has seen its referral traffic from Facebook rise by more than 2.5 ...

Facebook Platform Upgrade Guide
Upgrade instructions for Facebook's platform across versions.

Facebook Allows Users to Upgrade to the New Messages Product, Why You Should
Some users are seeing a prompt when they visit their Facebook Messages inbox allowing them to upgrade to the New Messages product launched in ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh julia @ d0gbones 3m I laughed at the call handler when he told me it'd be £400 to stay on my current price plan and upgrade ...

Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store on iTunes
Get Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Desktop Audio Upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I needed some new speakers for my desktop computer system at home. I've been tolerating JBL creature 2.1 system for a couple of years now and ...

How to Upgrade your MacBook PRO to a SSD (Solid State Hard Drive) - YouTube
Follow me on twitter : http://twitter.com/sakitechonline Follow me on facebook: http://goo.gl/R95Pq Website: http://www.sakitechonline.com Create ...