slow access using access 2007 on client/server

Hello all, I had this e-mail today from a user, and would like to get some
ideas to pass along. Many thanks, all! Andy

" my program is very very slow when more than two people are using the
program.   The database is installed on a desktop, which  is about two years
old.  I am connecting with a Using Acer note book Intel Pentium-M 760
Processor 2GHz  plus 2GB.  However, when the database is install on the note
book it runs very fast. However,  if   it's installed on the desktop , then
it's painfully slow. Also, I have to ask my collegue to close is program
before I can open mine ( the window freeze). I really really like this
program and I am thinking of buying two more licenses. However,  it make no
sense to do that when it's only really works well on the host computer.
Also, I am not sure I need to get a new notebook ( mine is single core) or
maybe I need dedicated file server. My computer know is   kinda limited. I
have a one gig router and network card. "

0
PCESoft (281)

On Nov 19, 10:11 pm, "ARC" <PCES...@PCESoft.invalid> wrote:
> Hello all, I had this e-mail today from a user, and would like to get some
> ideas to pass along. Many thanks, all! Andy
>
> " my program is very very slow when more than two people are using the
> program.   The database is installed on a desktop, which  is about two years
> old.  I am connecting with a Using Acer note book Intel Pentium-M 760
> Processor 2GHz  plus 2GB.  However, when the database is install on the note
> book it runs very fast. However,  if   it's installed on the desktop , then
> it's painfully slow. Also, I have to ask my collegue to close is program
> before I can open mine ( the window freeze). I really really like this
> program and I am thinking of buying two more licenses. However,  it make no
> sense to do that when it's only really works well on the host computer.
> Also, I am not sure I need to get a new notebook ( mine is single core) or
> maybe I need dedicated file server. My computer know is   kinda limited. I
> have a one gig router and network card. "

Just to be clear:
You are using JET?
The back end is where?
The front end is where?
And they are connected how?

Yes, it's using jet, and this is a FE/BE setup. It sounds like he's trying
to host the db on his desktop, and allow access from a remote laptop.

I'll get the skinny on whether it's a wired or wireless setup.

Andy
"lyle" <lyle.fairfield@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Nov 19, 10:11 pm, "ARC" <PCES...@PCESoft.invalid> wrote:
>> Hello all, I had this e-mail today from a user, and would like to get
>> some
>> ideas to pass along. Many thanks, all! Andy
>>
>> " my program is very very slow when more than two people are using the
>> program.   The database is installed on a desktop, which  is about two
>> years
>> old.  I am connecting with a Using Acer note book Intel Pentium-M 760
>> Processor 2GHz  plus 2GB.  However, when the database is install on the
>> note
>> book it runs very fast. However,  if   it's installed on the desktop ,
>> then
>> it's painfully slow. Also, I have to ask my collegue to close is program
>> before I can open mine ( the window freeze). I really really like this
>> program and I am thinking of buying two more licenses. However,  it make
>> no
>> sense to do that when it's only really works well on the host computer.
>> Also, I am not sure I need to get a new notebook ( mine is single core)
>> or
>> maybe I need dedicated file server. My computer know is   kinda limited.
>> have a one gig router and network card. "
>
> Just to be clear:
> You are using JET?
> The back end is where?
> The front end is where?
> And they are connected how?

0
PCESoft (281)
11/20/2007 3:45:38 AM
"ARC" <PCESoft@PCESoft.invalid> wrote:

>" my program is very very slow when more than two people are using the
>program.

More than two people or more than one person?

Where does the BE reside?

Did you supply the app?
1) Does it run well multi-user at other sites?
2) Or is this the first time it's being run multi - user.

If 1 then see the Vista specific items at the Performance FAQ.  If 2 then see all the
tiems at the Performance FAQ.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/Access/performancefaq.htm

>My computer know is   kinda limited.

His computer is just fine.  Among the criteria for Office 2007 was to run, although
slowly on a 400 Mhz PC.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
On Nov 19, 10:45 pm, "ARC" <PCES...@PCESoft.invalid> wrote:
> Yes, it's using jet, and this is a FE/BE setup. It sounds like he's trying
> to host the db on his desktop, and allow access from a remote laptop.

In my opinion, he should load a copy of the fe on laptop and re-check
speed.
Hey Lyle,

As a further update, he said it's particularly slow when he uses his vista
computer as the host (the router connections are wired, by the way, and not
wireless). Knowing how much security is build into vista, I wonder if there
are any good tweaks for jet db's?

Thanks!
> On Nov 19, 10:45 pm, "ARC" <PCES...@PCESoft.invalid> wrote:
>> Yes, it's using jet, and this is a FE/BE setup. It sounds like he's
>> trying
>> to host the db on his desktop, and allow access from a remote laptop.
>
> In my opinion, he should load a copy of the fe on laptop and re-check
> speed.

0
PCESoft (281)

Access 2007 db.accdb modified using Access 2010 can no longer be opened with Access 2007
Hi, A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010. The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database format 'C:\RD\db.accdb". I tried to open using Access 2007 and got the same message. Does anyone have an explanation?? Cheers, Barry "Barry Edmund Wright" <barry.edmund.wright@witstoronto.ca> wrote > Does anyone have an explanation?? Explanation: It's easy to look back and make a version backward compatible because you can see and test with the older version (Access 2010 successfully opens the Access 2007 database) ; it's not nearly so easy to look forward and make a version (in your case Access 2007) forward compatible with whatever may be done in the _next_ version (Access 2007 not opening the database once it's been modified and saved in Access 2010). This is a known issue, discussed many times here in the newsgroup. What we don't know is whether Microsoft _thought_ they'd implemented both backward and forward compatibility in Access 2010. -- Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP Co-Author, Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions, Wiley 2010 "Barry Edmund Wright" wrote in message=20 news:8d50cbbe-0804-40ed-a420-3f13d1da89f3@hs8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...= >Hi, > >A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010. >The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database >format 'C:\...

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing Access

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing and playing around a little with *a* *copy* of the database and see what turns up. Most likely, you'd need to set the directory in which the database resides, as a trusted location. A very good sumup of "the good, bad and ugly" ;-) of Access 2007 is this list by Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Roy-Vidar Simon, Best wishes to you too. One question: why do you use so many carriage returns in your messages? They cause readers having to unnecessary scroll. Thanks, John "Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> schreef in bericht news:495f3ebf$0$28733$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl... > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access > 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon >...

Access needs to be installed for me to use MS Access
Hi, Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no then how do I access and wrie to access database? Thanks, Vikas. <vikassah@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166161668.556801.183030@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I > need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no > then how do I access and wrie to access database? If Access, or the Access runtime (from the developer extensio...

Accessing MS-Access from OpenRoad using ActiveX
Hi I'm wanting to conect to an MS-Access MDB file from an OpenRoad program using ActiveX. Can someone tell me the files I need to use/register for Windows XP? Any other help or suggestions would be most appreciated. Darren dharvey911@hotmail.com ...

ms-access 2007 online? How can users log on to access 2007 from the internet?
10 years ago, the below was written (see very end, after my signature RL). What, if anything, has changed? I have Access 2003 and soon Access 2007 on a Windows XP Professional or Windows Vista Ultimate machine, with SQL Server Express running on it, and I want somebody, with a password (which I will provide) to be able to log onto a A03 or A07 dB from the internet. Now that I type this I realize that unless I put the database onto a web server somewhere, probably that will be impossible without some third-party software (which I vaguely recall exists somewhere, just released this year, allowing any user of WIndows to become a sort of personal server), so let me rephrase: 1) same question as above--I doubt there's a clear answer, but can somebody access Access given the above? What third party software? Ah, let me Google this: a lot of TP s/w and even something from MSFT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server. So the question remains: can Access 2003 or 2007 be configured to be remotely accessible using such S/W like "Home Server"? (this merges into question 2) 2) modifying the above: assume I put a copy of Access 03/07 dB onto a web server, such as a business and/or personal web server that hosts my company business page. I will provide a link and/or the user will FTP to the Access database that is now online. Can Access 2003 or 2007 do this? Allow remote access? Is it built in? Assume the person is running Windows, but it could be Wi...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Access 2003/Access 2007
I have a mde database file developed for a client. This was originally set up and run in Access 2003. Everything worked fine. Recently this client purchased several new computers. These computers came with Access 2007. Now whenever an Access 2007 user opens the database, it locks the database for all other users. I have checked all the Access settings I know to check. These new machines are also running Windows 7. I am not sure if this is enough information or if anyone has seen this behavior and may have some suggestions. Any help is appreciated. Hello, open the options ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

automate file access on server using SSH and passwordless access

Is it possible to open an Access 2007 accdb database in Access 2003?
I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Robert Hi, Robert. >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way >I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Sorry. "Unrecognized database format." ACCDB's require Access 2007. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials. Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com http://www.Access.QBuilt.c...

Web resources about - slow access using access 2007 on client/server - comp.databases.ms-access

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Planet OS Opens Access To Weather Data
... for software developers using weather data to power their apps, researchers and climate specialists enabling them to discover, access and build ...

Access your clipboard from any PC or Mac with 1Clipboard
1Clipboard is a free tool which enables sharing your clipboard contents with other PCs or Macs. The developer says that Android and iOS apps ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

US says losing access to China-claimed waters would be huge
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A U.S. Navy commander warned Wednesday that if the United States lost access to international waters claimed by China ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

How to access Google Drive files faster with Launch Center Pro
... Launch Center Pro has solved many workflow problems for me over the years. Most recently it’s been an immense time-saver when it comes to accessing ...

Cal Investigation Finds Assistant Coach Sexually Harassed Reporter Who Accused Him Of Trying To Trade ...
... a copy of Cal’s investigation into the matter, and even Hufnagel’s own statements make it appear that he attempted to trade sex for access, ...

Paragon's early access starts now, no more progress wipes
Paragon is gearing up for launch in the future, but for now, Epic is keen on putting it into an Early Access phase. The good news is that there ...