Sorting Delimited Text in a Text Box

Access 2003.  The situation is this:  I have a "criteria selection form"
in which there are a many different criteria, mostly displayed as combo
and text boxes in which a user can enter stuff, click an associated
button and that criteria becomes part of the where clause of a select
statement.  The selected criteria is stored on a hidden form and when
the user is ready to run their report(s), a button action goes through
the hidden form and builds a select statement.

For example, say buildings has a partial combo box list which shows:

PK (hidden) Bldg Name
1           Arts Building
2           Biology Building
6           Chemistry Building
8           Student Building

A user want to look at records from Chemistry and Arts, so the hidden
form "SQL WHERE STAEMENT" field would store values like this when Arts
was selected:

BLDG_PK = 1

Then, altered to look like this when Chemistry is selected:

BLDG_PK IN (1, 6)

And so on as more buildings may or may not be selected.

That's all well and good.  However, along with the "SQL WHERE STAEMENT"
field, there's also a "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION" field.  This adds the
Building Names so that the user sees a criteria view somewhere that is
also reproduced as a report header which lists the buildings selected.

I'm using a line break, vbcrlf, as a delimiter here.  So if the user
selected in the same order as in the example, the "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION"
field will look like this:

Arts Building
Chemistry Building

But what if the user selects Chemistry first, then arts?  What is stored
in the "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION" field will be:

Chemistry Building
Arts Building

What I am trying to figure out is how to sort this, alphabetically.

Any ideas or gentle/violent prods?  And yes, I know I have to take care
of possible duplicates which is easy enough to do... 8)

Thanks very much in advance.
--
Tim    http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<

> I'm using a line break, vbcrlf, as a delimiter here.  So if the user
> selected in the same order as in the example, the "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION"
> field will look like this:
>
> Arts Building
> Chemistry Building
>
> But what if the user selects Chemistry first, then arts?  What is stored
> in the "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION" field will be:
>
> Chemistry Building
> Arts Building
>
> What I am trying to figure out is how to sort this, alphabetically.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like this is a job for a list box.
Why not have a list box with a rowsource generated on the fly?

If at some point you need to read the text from the Criteria Description,
you could either

- create recordset from the same source as the list box's rowsource
    or
- iterate through the rows of the list box and concatenate, if you want to
create a string

It just seems unnecessary to create a string with line breaks and worry
about its appearance, etc., when you can just feed some SQL to a control and
let Access take over.

HTH,

Bruce

You need to do your sorting as each selection is made. How about putting the
selections in a collection rather that your "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION" field and
sort as you add to the collection. That way you have a simple list. Then
when you need the list in the report header, you build your "CRITERIA
DESCRIPTION" string using a line break, vbcrlf, as a delimiter. You need a
sub procedure to do this which gets called after each selection. Obviously
it does not get called after the first selection. To sort, you take the
latest selection and walk the collection inserting the latest selection
immediately following the first item in the collection list that has a sort
value less that the latest selection. Inserting an item means assigning an
index number to the selection. Sounds complicated until you start working it
out!!

--
                                        PC Datasheet
Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications

If you don't get the help you need in the newsgroup, I can help you for a
very reasonable fee.
Over 1000 Access users have come to me for help.
Remember that a lone man built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.

"Tim Marshall" <TIMMY!@PurplePandaChasers.Moertherium> wrote in message
> Access 2003.  The situation is this:  I have a "criteria selection form"
> in which there are a many different criteria, mostly displayed as combo
> and text boxes in which a user can enter stuff, click an associated button
> and that criteria becomes part of the where clause of a select statement.
> The selected criteria is stored on a hidden form and when the user is
> ready to run their report(s), a button action goes through the hidden form
> and builds a select statement.
>
> For example, say buildings has a partial combo box list which shows:
>
> PK (hidden) Bldg Name
> 1           Arts Building
> 2           Biology Building
> 6           Chemistry Building
> 8           Student Building
>
> A user want to look at records from Chemistry and Arts, so the hidden form
> "SQL WHERE STAEMENT" field would store values like this when Arts was
> selected:
>
> BLDG_PK = 1
>
> Then, altered to look like this when Chemistry is selected:
>
> BLDG_PK IN (1, 6)
>
> And so on as more buildings may or may not be selected.
>
> That's all well and good.  However, along with the "SQL WHERE STAEMENT"
> field, there's also a "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION" field.  This adds the
> Building Names so that the user sees a criteria view somewhere that is
> also reproduced as a report header which lists the buildings selected.
>
> I'm using a line break, vbcrlf, as a delimiter here.  So if the user
> selected in the same order as in the example, the "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION"
> field will look like this:
>
> Arts Building
> Chemistry Building
>
> But what if the user selects Chemistry first, then arts?  What is stored
> in the "CRITERIA DESCRIPTION" field will be:
>
> Chemistry Building
> Arts Building
>
> What I am trying to figure out is how to sort this, alphabetically.
>
> Any ideas or gentle/violent prods?  And yes, I know I have to take care of
> possible duplicates which is easy enough to do... 8)
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
> --
> Tim    http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
> ^o<
> /#) "Burp-beep, burp-beep, burp-beep?" - Quaker Jake
> /^^ "Whatcha doin?" - Ditto  "TIM-MAY!!" - Me

0
nospam3319 (977)

Unbound text box, text>255, MS Access/PostgreSQL
Hello. I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a commentary of a batch of records. There is a DAO Append Query that has a parameter that is passed from the text box using parameter of DAO QueryDef object. I adjusted B7 parameter (Text as LongVarchar) in connection string (ODBC driver) to 1, so that Access links PostgreSQL Text fields as Memo fields in Access. The intention was to be able to enter unlimited length commentary into the field. But, although I can enter unlimited text by using...

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want to throw away your C++ and use Microsoft Access for the job? If you want to keep C++, you can ask for C++ code in another newsgroup, because we'd just be guessing. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Adding Combo Box Text To A Text Box
I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any help is appreciated. This will do it: Private Sub ComboBox_AfterUpdate() If IsNull(Me.Textbox) Then Me.Textbox = ComboBox Else Me.Textbox = Me.Textbox & vbNewLine & ComboBox End If End Sub Wayne wrote: >I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value >from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to >do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: > >Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox > >I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in >the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using >Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. > >I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any >help is appreciated. -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http:/...

text + text

text-text

Show Text box on Top of another Text Box
Hi, I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain conditions are m= et it display either Green or Red. I want to put another text box on top of= it (this text box is smaller than the "conditional formating" text box) an= d have the the text in this text box displayed. Basically I want the condit= ional text box to form a colour border around the displayed text. How do I do that? Thanks, Barry On Apr 1, 11:18=A0am, Barry Edmund Wright <barry.edmund.wri...@witstoronto.ca> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain conditions are= met it display either Green or Red. I want to put another text box on top = of it (this text box is smaller than the "conditional formating" text box) = and have the the text in this text box displayed. Basically I want the cond= itional text box to form a colour border around the displayed text. > > How do I do that? > > Thanks, > Barry Why not overlay the textbox and set Visible =3D False. Then when true change to Visible =3D True. Barry Edmund Wright <barry.edmund.wright@witstoronto.ca> wrote in news:21224033.2400.1333297115162.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbdy 9: > Hi, > > I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain > conditions are met it display either Green or Red. I want to put > another text box on top of it (this text box is smaller than the > "conditional formating" text box) and hav...

Highlighy text in Text Box
Using an InputBox, there is the option to *suggest* text (Default). It appears highlighted and can be accepted or replaced by the user. I am attempting to create my own input form which has one Text Box, one command button (cmdAccept ) and a simple label to tell the user to make an entry. What I cannot do is to mimic that suggested default input string. Can someone show me how to do it? The following code is from a test program with two forms. '#### this is on FrmMain Private Sub Option1_Click() ' Other Event selected - 14 character maximum With FrmBGOther ...

MS-Access 2007. Report. Text box format problem
Hi, I am new to MS-Access. I have created a very simple report in MS-Access based on an imported Excel spreadsheet. The individual costs are held in field "Item Cost". Each instance of the field is displayed on the report and the field has NO Format property associated. On the report the field displays with a currency symbol and two decimal places - which is what I want. I guess the currency format of the field is being picked up from the original Excel spreadsheet. I have in the report footer the total of "Item Cost" which is calculated by =Sum([Item Cost]). This calculation gives the correct value for the sum, but I cannot control the display format. In the report Design view this field =Sum([Item Cost]) has a property sheet which contains a format value of "Currency". However, on the generated report this value just displays as a standard decimal. How do I get the report to display =Sum([Item Cost]) with a leading currency symbol (UK Sterling in my case) and two decimal places? Thanks Clive "Clive" <clive_long@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8678680d-5123-4263-98c2-cfbb739fd5bb@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am new to MS-Access. > > I have created a very simple report in MS-Access based on an > imported Excel spreadsheet. > > The individual costs are held in field "Item Cost". Each instance of > the field is displayed on the report and the field has N...

Get the real type of columns from MS Access databases(OLEObject, text, memo, numeric)
Hello, I made one application that opens MS Access databases.And I have one problem.How can I find the real data type of columns(text, memo, OLEObject, numeric) like it is into Access.I tried with resultSetMetaData.getColumnType(columnIndex) but I receive java.sql.Types.I have two columns that contains OLEObjects(images).But I receive two different types for columns : VARCHAR once, and for second column SMALLINT.I only want to see the types like in Access(OLEObjects, Text, Numeric, Memo...).Thanks in advance! Best regards, Calin Pop ...

Different text styles in the same text box
I am developing a bibliographic database. I am creating a report with bibliographic references like this: - Joyce, Ulysses, London, Penguin Press, 2002. The last string has been obtained by an expression like this: [author] & [text] & [city] & [publisher] & [date] Now there's a problem. I'd like to get different styles for the different fields (ex: italics for the author, underlined for the book title, etc). Is it possible? Thanks in advance Davide If I'm not mistaken there is a rich-text control that comes with VB that would allow you to do this, but I don't t...

Deselecting text in input text box
I have a text input box and I don't want the text to be selected either when the user tabs to the item or if the user clicks on it. Now the function below which I found from 2002 in the archive works fine for IE 6 but it works in neither Netscape 7 nor Firefox 1.0. I'm hoping some of you might have an alternative suggestion or insight for Netscape and Firefox. Code that works in IE6: function clearSelection () { if (document.selection) document.selection.empty(); else if (window.getSelection) window.getSelection().removeAllRanges(); } <input type="text" name=...

Displaying text in a text box depending on selection made in list box on same form
Hi I have an unbound text box on a form from which the user can choose a product. When the user chooses a product, I want the text box on the same form to display the description of that product. right now I can get it to display the row number of the product that corresponds to what the user clicked but not the value of the Product Description which is what I want. The fields in the tables are both text. here is the code: Private Sub LstContactProducts_AfterUpdate() txtProductDescription.SetFocus txtProductDescription.Text = LstContactProducts.Column(2,txtProductDescription) End Sub Thanks in advance Colin Colin, why don't you create the combobox, with from a table or query with all the information you need and use cboComboboxname.column(0), cboComboboxname.colum(1) etc etc...to populate the fields you want? HTH Michael "Colin Ward" <cward002@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:2a660c80.0308010710.26b3257@posting.google.com... > Hi I have an unbound text box on a form from which the user can choose > a product. When the user chooses a product, I want the text box on the > same form to display the description of that product. right now I can > get it to display the row number of the product that corresponds to > what the user clicked but not the value of the Product Description > which is what I want. The fields in the tables are both text. > > here is the code: > > Private Sub LstContactProducts_AfterUpdate() > txtP...

Remove extraneous text in a text box
I get text in a text box that looks like this: Hello On computer COMPNAME the following happened: New File: C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\FileName.xls 7/25/2011 1:25:10 PM How do I remove everything except the folder path and file name? It's too much for me. C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\ = Foldername FileName.xls = Filename Bjarne "musicloverlch" skrev i meddelelsen news:3b273dd8-e1c7-43e9-84dc-2b9aee46ded6@e40g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... I get text in a text box that looks like this: Hello On computer COMPNAME the following happened: New File: C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\FileName.xls 7/25/2011 1:25:10 PM How do I remove everything except the folder path and file name? It's too much for me. The text must come from some VBA coding... Checkout VBA module for the form where the text box belongs, and search for the text... Correct the VBA code to what u need...(Folder and FileName) Bjarne "bsn" skrev i meddelelsen news:4e2dfb3d$0$56791$edfadb0f@dtext02.news.tele.dk... C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\ = Foldername FileName.xls = Filename Bjarne "musicloverlch" skrev i meddelelsen news:3b273dd8-e1c7-43e9-84dc-2b9aee46ded6@e40g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... I get text in a text box that looks like this: Hello On computer COMPNAME the following happened: New File: C:\Folder1\Folder2\LockBox\Usr\ClientName\FileName.xls 7/25/2011 1:25:10 PM How do I remove everything excep...

Highlight text and Text Box Control
C5.0b PE legacy Hello! I have one invoice application with the text area for variable customer announcement. It is now filled and printed using the standard Arial characters. Is there any easy and cheap method to highlight these messages? (Compare "Word text") TIA Riku Maki ...

How to get text in text box to wrap?
The variable {job-name} in this code snippet does NOT wrap, resulting in the text running off the page. How would I get job-name to word wrap? pageWidth 36 mul % x = pageWidth * 1/2 * 72 pageHeight 36 mul % y = pageHeight * 1/2 * 72 pageHeight 2 mul add % y += 1 line 2 copy % Copy X & Y moveto (Title: ) RIGHT moveto ({job-name}) show This postscript file is from the CUPS printing application on a Linux system. Here is the complete file: FILE: /usr/share/cups/banners/standard %!PS-Adobe-3.0 %%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792 %%Pages: 1 %%LanguageLevel: 1 %%DocumentData: Clean7Bit %%DocumentSuppliedResources: procset bannerprint/1.0 %%DocumentNeededResources: font Helvetica Helvetica-Bold Times-Roman %%Creator: Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products %%CreationDate: May 10, 2000 %%Title: Test Page %%EndComments %%BeginProlog %%BeginResource procset bannerprint 1.1 0 % % PostScript banner page for the Common UNIX Printing System ("CUPS"). % % Copyright 1993-2005 Easy Software Products % % These coded instructions, statements, and computer programs are the % property of Easy Software Products and are protected by Federal % copyright law. Distribution and use rights are outlined in the file % "LICENSE.txt" which should have been included with this file. If this % file is missing or damaged please contact Easy Software Products % at: % % Attn: CUPS Licensing Information % Easy Software Products % 44141 Airport View Drive...

format bold text in a text box
I have a text box with this: =" Your name is: " $ [Name] $ " and last name is " $ [Lname] I want ONLY the [Name] and [Lname} to format bold and the other text not. Could I do this? You would needt use an RTF control for this. Hav a look at http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm -- Terry Kreft "yiannis" <postnews@freemail.gr> wrote in message news:eeatc8$oql$1@volcano1.grnet.gr... > I have a text box with this: > =" Your name is: " $ [Name] $ " and last name is " $ [Lname] > > I want ONLY the [Name] and [Lname} to format bold and the other text not. > > Could I do this? > > ...

Box of text with width of another text
Hi, how can I make a box that contains one string, but has the width of another? For example, is there a command like \widthoffirstboxbox{$T$}{$T_a$} which creates a box which contains $T_a$ but has the width of $T$? Best regars, Paul Paul Kaletta <paulkaletta@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > how can I make a box that contains one string, but has the width of > another? > > For example, is there a command like > > \widthoffirstboxbox{$T$}{$T_a$} > > which creates a box which contains $T_a$ but has the width of $T$? \usepackage{calc} \makebox[\widthof{$T$}]{$T_a$} Ciao Enrico Paul Kaletta <paulkaletta@googlemail.com> writes: > Hi, > > how can I make a box that contains one string, but has the width of > another? > > For example, is there a command like > > \widthoffirstboxbox{$T$}{$T_a$} > > which creates a box which contains $T_a$ but has the width of $T$? \llap{$T_a$}\phantom{$T$} -- Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail. Paul Kaletta <paulkaletta@googlemail.com> writes: > Hi, > > how can I make a box that contains one string, but has the width of > another? > > For example, is there a command like > > \widthoffirstboxbox{$T$}{$T_a$} > > which creates a box which contains $T_a$ but has the width of $T$? \rlap{$T_a$}\hphantom{$T$} -- Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail. ...

R ePassing text from text box to sql
Thanks To Pieter and Iago for your help Regards Boris ...

Wrapping Text
I'm trying to export an Access table to a pipe-delimited text file (with no text qualifier) and it keeps wrapping the text for one of the tables. None of the fields are particularly long, so I'm not sure why it's doing this. Any ideas how I can stop it from wrapping the text in the text file? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200803/1 Leviathan wrote: >I'm trying to export an Access table to a pipe-delimited text file (with no >text qualifier) and it keeps wrapping the text for one of the tables. None of >the fields are particularly long, so I'm not sure why it's doing this. Any >ideas how I can stop it from wrapping the text in the text file? Nevermind, figured it out. Looks like there was a carriage return in defining one of the cells in the query. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200803/1 ...

passing text fom text box to sql
Hi I hope someone can help me simplified scenario The situation: microsoft access 2000 TABLE is a list of surnames SQL query is SELECT surname FROM table WHERE surname =("SomeSurname") FORM has a buttons and a text box I want to be able to type "SomeSurname" into Text Box and then click button to run SQL query with SomeSurname and open results in a datasheet sheet View I try as i may I can not do thisI have tried DoCmd OpenQuery DoCmd.RunSQL ect any help appreciated Boris, AIR CODE ALERT I assume tboxSurname and btnSearch exist on some form. The form also has a su...

I have a Text control string box with some initial text. I...
I have a Text control string box with some initial text. I would like to highlight old text with click of mouse and type in new data from keyboard I have a text control string box with some initial text (says: Please enter Name). I would like the operator to click on the text control box and have it automatically highlight so that when new data is typed in the old erases (all at once) and the new data is now in the text box. I tried using the "Text.Selection" property node and when I run it and put the mouse inside the text box the initial text is highlighted and if I press "de...

Add new text box after entered text
Hello, I have an application that I'm building but I'm getting stuck on a few things. 1. I have a slider to select how many "sections" to have, this will then build a table of text boxes for a title in one column, and in the other column there will be 2 text boxes for an "option name" and "value". (I got this part) 2. When someone finishes entering the title, and one option/value then clicks off of the last box I want to create a new one for that option. If they don't enter a value for both I don't want it to show another group of text boxes. Ques...

How do I 'SELECT All' text in a text box
I want to select all text in a multi line text box from a command butten. Thank for help Dave Try this... Private Sub Command1_Click() With Text1 .SelStart = 0 .SelLength = Len(.Text) .SetFocus End With End Sub Rick - MVP "Dave" <last2try@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:fo0b90h0j9imbvntdea3uu2mefth5teufr@4ax.com... > I want to select all text in a multi line text box from a command > butten. > > Thank for help > Dave ...

Web resources about - Sorting Delimited Text in a Text Box - comp.databases.ms-access