SQL Server files after upgrading an Access database

Hi all

I have upgraded an Access data file to SQL Server using the wizard
(Access XP, 2000 file format).  There seems to be no way to direct the
SQL Server database files to a specified folder during this process.  I
now have the SQL Server database residing on a server on drive C: but
it would be better on drive E:  Does anyone know of a simple way to
move the SQL Server database or force the upgrade to go to a specified
folder?

I know little about SQL Server, so please be gentle ...

Thanks

Jeff

0
jbguernsey (22)

Hi Jeff,

I have never used the upsizing wizard, but to move a sql server database
from one location to another, you need to detach the sql server database
from the server.  You do this in Enterprise manager(sql server 2000) -
or the management console (sql server 2005).

Go to the database icon in Enterprise manager - right - click - go to
All Tasks, go to Detach Database - and click on Detach Database.

Now go to your server and move the mdf file to your desired location.
Then you have to re-attach the database.  Just right click on the
Databases icon under the server name in Enterprise Manager.  Go to All
Tasks - Attach Database.  Click on Attach Database.  Locate/select the
mdf file and click OK.  Sql Server will automatically create a new ldf
file for you.

Rich

rpng123 (1033)
9/5/2006 7:29:13 PM
Thanks Rick.  I'll give that a try ASAP.  Looks to be just what I
needed - thanks again.

Jeff

Rich P wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I have never used the upsizing wizard, but to move a sql server database
> from one location to another, you need to detach the sql server database
> from the server.  You do this in Enterprise manager(sql server 2000) -
> or the management console (sql server 2005).
>
> Go to the database icon in Enterprise manager - right - click - go to
> All Tasks, go to Detach Database - and click on Detach Database.
>
> Now go to your server and move the mdf file to your desired location.
> Then you have to re-attach the database.  Just right click on the
> Databases icon under the server name in Enterprise Manager.  Go to All
> Tasks - Attach Database.  Click on Attach Database.  Locate/select the
> mdf file and click OK.  Sql Server will automatically create a new ldf
> file for you.
>
> Rich

jbguernsey (22)

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

SqlSpec

Importing Access databases into SQL Server
Hi there, I have a situation where an application needs to import data from number of access mdb files on a daily bases. The file names change every day. The data import is very straight forward: insert into sql_table select * from acess_table There are up to 8 tables in each access file and some access files will have less. So the process needs to figure out which tables exist in Access mdb file and import them whole into sql staging tables. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks It probably depends where you're running the load process from - that's not really clear (t...

Accessing an SQL Server Database with VB
I will be designing an app with VB that will access an SQL server database. How difficult is this to do in VB? Is there some built-in compatibility between the two? Any suggestions about a book to buy would be much appreciated. The one I'm looking at now is Beginning SQL Server 2000 for Visual Basic Developers by Thearon Willis. I've had experience with VB but none with SQL server. Thanks, Corey <caramelboy586@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1114104259.357833.240460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I will be designing an app with VB that will access an SQL server &...

Web resources about - SQL Server files after upgrading an Access database - comp.databases.ms-access

Mac Spoofed: Upgrading [Low Quality]
PC teaches Mac about the benefits of upgradability.

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Looks like Labor's upgrading from Tarago to minibus
The people of Stafford have done the rest of Queensland a favour by electing Dr Anthony Lynham.

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube