I have a very frustrating problem.  I have a situation that works fine
on some computers, but not on others.  I have SQL Server Express 2005
and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers.  I have set up a "Linked
Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database.  I am running
queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server.
On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work
great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as
well.  On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across
the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes.  But on other computers I can
do Select queries (also across the network) but no update queries.  I
get the error message "OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for
linked server "securedjetls" returned message "Operation must use an
updateable query." where securedjetls is the name of the linked
server. The Access database on the computer that is not working is a
copy of the database from the computer that is working and any of the
tables that I'm trying to update have primary keys, so that's not the
problem.

Strawman: Is MS Access a "database"?
I would argue that it is not. JET is a desktop DB engine. Sybase is a database Oracle is a database DB2 is a database. VB 6 is a front-end development tool. PowerBuilder is a front-end development tool. MS Access is a front end devlopment tool. --------------------------------------- What's got me going on this is that I keep hearing statements like "What! you're running a mission-critical application out of an Access database?" Or the latest, to the effect of, "Well, sure the app has been working a-ok for the past five years, but would you want people reading in th...

tcl database connection for Oracle MySQL PostgreSQL Sybase "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine" DB2 Interbase/Firebird SQLite Microsoft Access
Hello everyone, There are many people that are looking for/missing the support for their database within TCL. Somehow this was overlooked: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/index.html It has native TCL API and supports most popular databases. One problem: It doesn't have production ready support on Windows, but for the lucky people who use Linux/Unix, it seems to be an excellent solution, while TDBC is being developed. One small correction, the TCL part of the db connection will work just fine on Windows connecting to sqlrelay running on Linux/Unix (which, in turn, can connect to the database running on Windows :) ). What doesn't have production ready support (according to developers) is sqlrelay running on Windows. ...

Running MS Access db as a Linked Server on SQL Server
Hi, Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no one wants to touch. I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, (Location, Catalog)? Thanks a bunch. This might help; note the table about halfway...

Windows 2000 Server "Opening" an Access XP Database?
Through the Access LDB viewer (MS tool used to "see" who is using an Access database) we are seeing one of our Windows 2000 servers in the as a "listed user." For those that do not know: A "LDB" is a file created by MS Access when 1 or more users open an Access database in "non-exclusive" mode. The "LDB" file exists for the duration of database sessions. During that time the "LDB" file cannot be removed. In detail: We start with a single database file (.mdb) and no LDB file located on a "Freshly rebooted" Windows 2K Server...

insert fails
Hi, I configured a linked server in MS SQL Server v8 pointing to a remote AS/400 DB2 database. I used Client Access ODBC driver (v7), installed it from a Client Access Express v4.5. Select/update/delete seems to be working fine, I just cannot execute an insert statement. Here's the error I'm getting: update as400..U1.TB1 set a = 4 select * from as400..U1.TB1 insert into as400..U1.TB1 ( a ) values (1) ------------------------------------------------------ Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 4 OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider did not give any inf...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Re: Accessing legacy data via MS SQL Server linked servers
Chuck, You might talk to MBFoster. They may have a solution for you. Imagesql has odbclink/se but I'm not sure if this will do the job for you. Imagesql is available to 7.0 and 7.5 users. I have found in some cases that MSAccess does a quick job of access legacy data with odbclink/se...(but that is going thur Imagesql). JDBC, java, perl may be another solution. These have classes for image. Hope this helps Cathlene Mc Rae HP Sr Response Center Engineer. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/arc...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

WinXP sees SAMBA server but "\\Server is not accessible"
Newbie stuff I'm running RH9 Pro all up-to-date. I have a WinXP box all up-to-date. It tried following the "SAMBA Installation Notes" on: http://www.linuxorbit.com/howto/sambahowto.php3 I pretty much left the smb.conf in its virgin state except for the following changes: ========== # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name workgroup = DOGZ # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field server string = SAMBA encrypt passwords = yes smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd [homes] comment = Home Directories brow...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

"Correct" term for a 1:1 relationship between a "database" and an "instance" where > 1 such things are on the same physical server?
What is the "correct" term for a 1:1 relationship between a "database" and an "instance" where there are at least two such "things" on the same physical server? Nearly all the Oracle docs and books define a database something like the following: DATABASE - a collection of datafiles and oracle config files; useless without an "instance" to access the database. INSTANCE - a collection of background procs and memory structures, used to access a "database." Where I work, people typically call each "thing" mentioned in my Subject: line an "instance" or a "database instance." What is the "correct" term for having more than one of these "things" on the same, unpartitioned physical server? This may be splitting hairs; but when people don't or can't come to terms, confusion ensues--and that's typically a Bad Thing. I noticed, or rather a colleague of mine did, that even Tom Kyte mixes terms. In the book Expert Oracle Database Architecture (2005 edition) on page 50, in the bullet-pointed definitional paragraph for Instance, he throws the word "database instance" into the mix. A "no no" according to my colleague (don't shoot the messenger, please); because the vernacular seems to be "instance" or "database instance" for the each "thing." I like to be precise with terms, but then there are business stakehold...

MS SQL Linked Servers(Linking MySQL to MS SQL) Collation problem.
Hello, I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? P?vels Mihailovs (iceravenlv@gmail.com) writes: > I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a > table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and > th...

Database link to a MS SQL Server 2000
Hi NG, we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines directly. Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? thanx abbas On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:13:02 +0200, "Abbas" <ar.newsgroup@web.de> wrote: >Hi NG, > >we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. > >There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines >directly. > >Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? > >thanx >abbas > Look into using Heterogeneous Services in your Net administrators manual. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Are you willing to install a bridge program to create this "link"? If so, then try www.examinstudio.com Do as Sybrand told you, look at the Heterogenous services of Oracle. Oracle even supports natively DRDA towards a DB2 z/OS mainframe, and they also support SQL Server. They all end-up like a database link with a totally quallified names in the "from" clause. Be aware of that distributed joins between different DBMS systems might cause huge performance problems, keep the functionality when dealing with multiple DBMS systems simple, no dist...

Subject: Help needed on "Server not found in Kerberos Database" while using "mod_auth_kerb+Apache"
Hi, My Kerberos Setup is as follows- Kerberos v5 Server- example.domain.com (Linux Box) Kerberos Realm- EXAMPLE.COM Registered User on Kerberos realm- test@EXAMPLE.COM Apache Server(with mod_auth_kerb) can be accessed as: http://apache.domain.com (Linux Box) Now I have added a principal name- HTTP/apache.domain.com@EXAMPLE.COM using the addprinc command. I have generated a keytab file for this principal (using ktadd) and then transferred it to the Apache Server(apache.domain.com). I have pointed to this keytab file in ..htaccess file. Now when I try to access APACHE.DOMAIN.COM:80 through a browser(IE) running on my desktop say CLIENT1.DOMAIN.COM, and give the proper user credentials...it doesnt authenticate. When I look this up in the Kerberos log file (krb5kdc.log) it gives the following messages...for the event- Jul 08 18:52:34 example.domain.com krb5kdc[9797](info): AS_REQ (6 etypes {18 16 23 1 3 2}) 192.168.200.27: ISSUE: authtime 1089292954, etypes {rep=16 tkt=16 ses=16}, test@EXAMPLE.COM for krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM@EXAMPLE.COM Jul 08 18:52:34 example.domain.com krb5kdc[9797](info): TGS_REQ (6 etypes {18 16 23 1 3 2}) 192.168.200.27: UNKNOWN_SERVER: authtime 1089292954, test@EXAMPLE.COM for krbtgt/REALM1.COM@EXAMPLE.COM, Server not found in Kerberos database Jul 08 18:52:34 example.domain.com krb5kdc[9797](info): TGS_REQ (6 etypes {18 16 23 1 3 2}) 192.168.200.27: UNKNOWN_SERVER: authtime 1089292954, test@EXAMPLE.COM for krbtgt/COM@EXAMPLE.COM, Server not found i...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Web resources about - SQL Server "Linked Server" to MS Access Database - comp.databases.ms-access