SQL Server View integer field shows as text field in Access

Hi All!

I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer
field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is
defined as a text field in Access.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

KB

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:31:43 -0700 (PDT), kevinfbutt
<kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote:

That's quite unusual. Can you post the SQL for that field in that
view?
What version of Access and SQL Server? Fully patched?
Can you replicate the problem with a view in one of the SQL Server
sample databases?

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>Hi All!
>
>I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer
>field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is
>defined as a text field in Access.
>
>Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>KB
Is the column in the view the result of a calculation?  If so, try applying
the CAST or CONVERT function to coerce the result back into an integer.

"kevinfbutt" <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer
> field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is
> defined as a text field in Access.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> KB

0
bcap1306 (44)

(using CONVERT in PassThrough qry) to view sql server field in ACCESS
Hello; Access 2000 sql server 2000; I have a sql server table linked into my access db. One of the fields is OLE dtype in Access-binary in sql server. I have built a passthrough query to view this data. Could someone assist me with the syntax for the CONVERT function? I tried: CONVERT(varchar(25), BITS, text). BITS is the field name. I get an error message stating that text is not a valid column name. I am using the help explanation of: CONVERT(data_type(length),data_to_be_converted,style) Anybody ever try this? Thanks Tony Tony_E wrote: > Hello; Access 2000 sql server 2000; > > I have a sql server table linked into my access db. > One of the fields is OLE dtype in Access-binary in sql server. > I have built a passthrough query to view this data. > Could someone assist me with the syntax for the CONVERT function? > > I tried: CONVERT(varchar(25), BITS, text). BITS is the field name. > I get an error message stating that text is not a valid column name. > I am using the help explanation of: > > CONVERT(data_type(length),data_to_be_converted,style) > The style argument is a number that controls the format of data to be output. It is optional. For example, when converting a datetime to char, you can use the style argument to control how the resulting string is formatted: 0 or 100 is the default mon dd yyyy hh:miAM(or PM) 101 mm/dd/yyyy 1 mm/dd/yy 8 ...

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

Accessing text form fields name=field[label]

Old ms-access file, showing wrong text in access xp
Dear sirs: I've one old .mdb file ( since 97). now when I open it, it converts most of text to strange unicode characters. can I stop this conversion and ask access to just show original non-unicode characters? Thanks Bijan ...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

How to export an Image field from Sql Server to Access 2003
We have a forms application that captures comments digitally entered by an inspector and saved as an image in Sql Server. The manager of this inspector wants to be able to transfer the data in Sql Server to Access 2003 table. However, when I try to export the data into an Access table and into an OLE field, the field displays the information as "long binary data". Is there a way to transfer the data so the field in the Access table can be displayed? Thanks. Stuart On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:09:21 -0700 (PDT), stuart <stuart.medlin@ncmail.net> wrote: I'm pretty sure an Image field holds the actual bytes of the image. You should be able to extract those bytes and write them to a file in the file system. OLE fields are MUCH different, contain all kinds of decoration, and there is no simple conversion between the two. Access (at least until A2007) is not a great tool for storing images, so you're better off with them in the file system anyway. -Tom. >We have a forms application that captures comments digitally entered >by an inspector and saved as an image in Sql Server. The manager of >this inspector wants to be able to transfer the data in Sql Server to >Access 2003 table. However, when I try to export the data into an >Access table and into an OLE field, the field displays the information >as "long binary data". > >Is there a way to transfer the data so the field in the Access table >can be displayed? > >...

How to link fields in MS word document to Access database
Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an access database? What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in an Access database. I also want to later select the document (from a file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields from the database. Of course if there are then any updates I want to put them back into the database. Workable? Anyone with sample code? Bob Alston On Jun 10, 6:21=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an > access database? Hello Bob, Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information. HBInc. > > What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields > word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be > opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in > an Access database. =A0I also want to later select the document (from a > file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields > from the database. =A0Of course if there are then ...

multiple conditions in a join, access doesn't like on (table1.field=table2.field and table1.field=table3.field)
Hi I have written the following query and am having problems with the last outer join in ms access... it doesn't like the multiple conditions that I have in there, if I have just one or the other its OK but not both... and I have tried putting the second condition in a where clause but then i don't get an outer join i'm pulling my hair out on this one... i would be extremely greatful for some ideas... SELECT ro.thickness,ro.width,ro.grade,sum(ro.pcs) as pieces, ro.length,GT.thicknessid,t.thicknessid,gt.gradethicknessgroupid, gtd.gradeid, gr.gradeid FROM(((NewOrders as RO LEFT O...

Import Memo Field From Access/SQL Server via ODBC
Hello. I'm using SAS to connect to a SQL server database that contains memo fields. These memo fields have a significant volume of text in them, well over 1024 characters. I'm querying the database using an ODBC connection. The memo fields are being truncated at 1024 characters in my SAS dataset. I've been unable to specify the format and informat of the fields prior to their being set at 1024 characters. I suspect the database may be truncating the data before providing it through the ODBC connection, but I don't know that for sure. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Mike My query has the following form: proc sql; connect to odbc as myODBC (......) create table LIDIsummary as select * from connection to myODBC (select * from ExecSummary) where datepart(quarter)=&LIDI_DATE.; disconnect from myODBC; quit; ...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB
Heya! I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I can't get around the problem. I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string. I've tried: Chr(10) & Chr(13) Chr(13) & Chr(10 vbnewline vbcrlf none of which seem to work. I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] = 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'. At the moment, my code looks like this: celsql = celsql _ & "Program: " & encname _ ...

append of text from MS Access to binary datatype in SQL Server not displaying
Hello; Access 2000 We append an access table to a sql server table through a linked ODBC connection in access. The append succeeds. One of the fields in the access table is text. In the append to the sql server table it mates to a binary field (in access it reads OLE). The text data does not display in the app window that points to this field. (This app window is part of an ERP app). Any ideas or suggestions as what is going on? Why it won't display? Thanks Tony ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Import Memo Field From Access/SQL Server via ODBC
Mike: Look up the "DBMAX_TEST" parameter. On a libname statement (your example is= using the pass thru), this would look like: Libname TO_SQL ODBC Dsn=3D'DSN_TO_SQL' User=3DYourAcct Pwd=3DYourPsw Schema=3DDBO DBMax_Text=3D32767 ; Run ; -Gerry Gerard T. Pauline Mgr, Internet Applications & University Web Master Computer Systems, DoIT Pace University -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mike A= nas Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:26 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Import Memo Field From Access/SQL Server via ODBC Hello. I'm using SAS to connect to a SQL server database that contains memo fields. These memo fields have a significant volume of text in them, well over 1024 characters. I'm querying the database using an ODBC connection. The memo fields are being truncated at 1024 characters in my SAS dataset. I've been unable to specify the format and informat of the fields prior to their being set at 1024 characters. I suspect the database may be truncating the data before providing it through the ODBC connection, but I don't know that for sure. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Mike My query has the following form: proc sql; connect to odbc as myODBC (......) create table LIDIsummary as select * from connection to myODBC (select...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

Web resources about - SQL Server View integer field shows as text field in Access - comp.databases.ms-access

Integer-valued function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mathematics, an integer-valued function is a function whose values are integers . In other words, it is a function that assigns an integer ...

Math Practice - Integers - Addition Subtraction Multiplication & Division on the App Store on iTunes
Get Math Practice - Integers - Addition Subtraction Multiplication & Division on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Starbucks Taps Omnicom's Integer For Efforts Outside Its Stores
Omnicom Group's Integer Group has been added to the Starbucks roster after the coffee giant sought an agency for a big shopper-marketing push. ...

The New C: Integers in C99, Part 1 - Dr Dobb's December 2000/The New C
C has its roots in typeless languages, but it has come a long long way from its humble beginnings.

New MIT Debugger Checks for Integer Overflows
MIT's Directed Integer Overflow Detection (DIODE) debugger automatically finds integer overflows, which can potentially allow hacker attacks. ...

Gamasutra: Max Woolf's Blog - Diablo III Economy Broken by an Integer Overflow Bug
The following blog was, unless otherwise noted, independently written by a member of Gamasutra's game development community. The thoughts and ...

AWS EC2 C3/C4 Multicore Integer Performance Comparison
The C4 family, on average, had a 14 percent increase in integer performance over the C3 family. The c4.8xlarge VMs exhibited the largest performance ...

View Count for PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ Music Video Surpasses the 32-Bit Integer Max Value on YouTube
YouTube has upgraded their view count tracking after the music video for “Gangnam Style” by PSY surpassed the 32-bit integer max positive value ...

The saddest thing I know about integers
This is for math geeks and musicians. What really happens if you use a circle of fourths or fifths to tune an instrument?