sql statement as a control source in Access reports

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use the expression builder to create input to a control
in an Access report.

I have a table called Records and I want to select the minimum date for
a record where the student = studentID..

The sql is pretty simple: "Select MIN(RecDate) from records_T where
studentID = 1".

Now, I have been trying to get this statement to work with the
expression builder, but no go!!

Is it possible to get this working someho with the expression builder
or supplying the SQL directly to the control source property??

Thanks,
Anja

0
anja.ende (81)

SQL cannot be used as Control Source; it can be used as Record Source for a
Form or Report, and a Field in the Record Source used as Control Source. A
Control Source may also be an expression, a constant, or a Function. The
DMIN Function may provide the information you want... I'd say chances are
slim to none that you actually want to specify the student id as a constant,
so you need to determine how you are going to obtain it... you may well need
to use VBA code to implement what you want.

If you could explain what it is that you have and what you are trying to
accomplish, not how you are trying to accomplish it (e.g., "use the
expression builder to create a control source"), perhaps someone could be
more helpful.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"Anja" <anja.ende@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to use the expression builder to create input to a control
> in an Access report.
>
> I have a table called Records and I want to select the minimum date for
> a record where the student = studentID..
>
> The sql is pretty simple: "Select MIN(RecDate) from records_T where
> studentID = 1".
>
> Now, I have been trying to get this statement to work with the
> expression builder, but no go!!
>
> Is it possible to get this working someho with the expression builder
> or supplying the SQL directly to the control source property??
>
> Thanks,
> Anja

0
bouncer (4168)
12/7/2006 11:18:52 PM
Larry Linson wrote:

> SQL cannot be used as Control Source; it can be used as Record Source for a
> Form or Report, and a Field in the Record Source used as Control Source. A
> Control Source may also be an expression, a constant, or a Function. The
> DMIN Function may provide the information you want... I'd say chances are
> slim to none that you actually want to specify the student id as a constant,
> so you need to determine how you are going to obtain it... you may well need
> to use VBA code to implement what you want.
>
> If you could explain what it is that you have and what you are trying to
> accomplish, not how you are trying to accomplish it (e.g., "use the
> expression builder to create a control source"), perhaps someone could be
> more helpful.
>
>   Larry Linson
>   Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Anja" <anja.ende@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am trying to use the expression builder to create input to a control
> > in an Access report.
> >
> > I have a table called Records and I want to select the minimum date for
> > a record where the student = studentID..
> >
> > The sql is pretty simple: "Select MIN(RecDate) from records_T where
> > studentID = 1".
> >
> > Now, I have been trying to get this statement to work with the
> > expression builder, but no go!!
> >
> > Is it possible to get this working someho with the expression builder
> > or supplying the SQL directly to the control source property??
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Anja

Thanks for the reply. Well, I tried using the DLookup function and it
does not give me any errors. However, the date field that it is
supposed to return is formatted as some scientific expression!

So, my statement is:

=CStr(DLookUp(Min("[RecDate]"),"[Records_T]","[Student]=" &
Forms![Student Manager]!MM_GradesByStudent))

0
anja.ende (81)
12/7/2006 11:28:12 PM
Anja wrote:

> Larry Linson wrote:
>
> > SQL cannot be used as Control Source; it can be used as Record Source for a
> > Form or Report, and a Field in the Record Source used as Control Source. A
> > Control Source may also be an expression, a constant, or a Function. The
> > DMIN Function may provide the information you want... I'd say chances are
> > slim to none that you actually want to specify the student id as a constant,
> > so you need to determine how you are going to obtain it... you may well need
> > to use VBA code to implement what you want.
> >
> > If you could explain what it is that you have and what you are trying to
> > accomplish, not how you are trying to accomplish it (e.g., "use the
> > expression builder to create a control source"), perhaps someone could be
> > more helpful.
> >
> >   Larry Linson
> >   Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Anja" <anja.ende@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I am trying to use the expression builder to create input to a control
> > > in an Access report.
> > >
> > > I have a table called Records and I want to select the minimum date for
> > > a record where the student = studentID..
> > >
> > > The sql is pretty simple: "Select MIN(RecDate) from records_T where
> > > studentID = 1".
> > >
> > > Now, I have been trying to get this statement to work with the
> > > expression builder, but no go!!
> > >
> > > Is it possible to get this working someho with the expression builder
> > > or supplying the SQL directly to the control source property??
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Anja
> > >

> Thanks for the reply. Well, I tried using the DLookup function and it
> does not give me any errors. However, the date field that it is
> supposed to return is formatted as some scientific expression!
>
> So, my statement is:
>
> =CStr(DLookUp(Min("[RecDate]"),"[Records_T]","[Student]=" &
> Forms![Student Manager]!MM_GradesByStudent))

A bit more progress:

yet a bit more!

=CStr(CDate((DLookUp(Min("[StuDate]"),"[Records_T]","[Student]=" &

Forms![Student Manager]!SM_GradesByStudent)))

always returns 00:00::05!!

Anja

0
anja.ende (81)
12/7/2006 11:35:38 PM
I'm not sure what I wrote that was unclear, but I do not see the DMin
function that I suggested in either of your followups.

The following Control Source works nicely to return the earliest order for
the customer selected in "cboCustomerID" on a Form whose RecordSource is the
Orders table from the Northwind sample database. The CustomerID in the
Orders table is a text Field, which is why the value must be in quotes in
the DMin statement.

   =DMin("OrderDate","Orders","CustomerID = """ & [cboCustomerID] & """")

The DMin domain aggregate function has the purpose of finding and returning
the minimum value of a Field in a Domain -- see the Help. And if this fills
your needs, you don't need to explain what it is that you are trying to
accomplish, so we might suggest alternative approaches.

> Anja wrote:
>
>> Larry Linson wrote:
>>
>> > SQL cannot be used as Control Source; it can be used as Record Source
>> > for a
>> > Form or Report, and a Field in the Record Source used as Control
>> > Source. A
>> > Control Source may also be an expression, a constant, or a Function.
>> > The
>> > DMIN Function may provide the information you want... I'd say chances
>> > are
>> > slim to none that you actually want to specify the student id as a
>> > constant,
>> > so you need to determine how you are going to obtain it... you may well
>> > need
>> > to use VBA code to implement what you want.
>> >
>> > If you could explain what it is that you have and what you are trying
>> > accomplish, not how you are trying to accomplish it (e.g., "use the
>> > expression builder to create a control source"), perhaps someone could
>> > be
>> > more helpful.
>> >
>> >   Larry Linson
>> >   Microsoft Access MVP
>> >

>> > "Anja" <anja.ende@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>> Thanks for the reply. Well, I tried using the DLookup function and it
>> does not give me any errors. However, the date field that it is
>> supposed to return is formatted as some scientific expression!
>>
>> So, my statement is:
>>
>> =CStr(DLookUp(Min("[RecDate]"),"[Records_T]","[Student]=" &
>> Forms![Student Manager]!MM_GradesByStudent))
>
> A bit more progress:
>
> yet a bit more!
>
> =CStr(CDate((DLookUp(Min("[StuDate]"),"[Records_T]","[Student]=" &
>
> Forms![Student Manager]!SM_GradesByStudent)))
>
> always returns 00:00::05!!
>
> Anja

0
bouncer (4168)

Access Controls in Access
How on access can you set access controls to your users? If they log in with one username and password they can just read information and if they log in with another username and password they can read and write? I have no idea how to do this, is it even possible?? Thank you Try playing with the access security tool, you can add users, groups, passwords, read/write allowances etc. to your database using that. Its under the 'Tools' menu of Access. Brian wrote: > Try playing with the access security tool, you can add users, groups, > passwords, read/write allowances etc. to your database using that. > Its under the 'Tools' menu of Access. Playing is not the proper word for it. I would never "play" with installing security without a backup copy of the System.mdw file or a backup of the application. You should also recommend the SecFaq when "playing" with security. http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/techpapers.htm. Dangerous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASIVv_LiBoU Yeah i suppose playing wasn't the correct word for it. Hey Thanks for both your help. I'll try that. "Hanny J" <hannyjones@aol.com> wrote > Thanks for both your help. I'll try that. Note that a well-versed author and authority, Roger Jenkins, back in the days of Access 2.0, characterized Access' Security as "labrynthine". It has not gotten any less complex, and I caution that, while it is "doable&qu...

Making a form control the criteria for the sql statement of another control (Access 2003)
I have two comboboxes on a form. Combobox1 uses field1 in another table as its source of data. What I want to do is to enable combobox2 to use field2 in that table, but only to show the rows of data that contain the item selected in combobox1. At the moment I can easily write a SQL statement with a WHERE clause, but I only know how to specifiy static criteria. What I want is a variable criteria, where the criteria is the data contained in combobox 1. Is this possible? thanks for any help :) Ste "SteMc" <google@jasmonio.supanet.com> wrote >I have two comboboxes on a fo...

SQL reports like in MS Access
Hi, what is the best unit for creating reports like in Microsoft Access, i.e. with page header / footer, grouping, group headers / footers etc., with Wysiwyg editor? Thanks a lot, Jakub On 24 Sep 2006 13:59:18 -0700, "jakubadamek@seznam.cz" <jakubadamek@gmail.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python: > Hi, what is the best unit for creating reports like in Microsoft > Access, i.e. with page header / footer, grouping, group headers / > footers etc., with Wysiwyg editor? > Access using ODBC drivers for whatever database you are using... Crystal Reports ...

Accessing Access

MS Access SQL Statement. Help???

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Using Access to 'access' an sql database on a webserver
Is this possible? I know about a bit about ODBC and found how to import an ODBC database stored on the computer, however I am after accessing an SQL database stored on a webserver. I'd like to keep it up to date, but that could probably be done with a macro. At the moment I'm just considoring possible options, so just need to know if it can be done, how easy and a rough idea of how. Any help would be much appreciated! Flic On 6 Oct 2006 03:59:25 -0700, "Flic" <FelicityP@gmail.com> wrote: I typically create an ADP, then connect to such db specifying the IP address...

Open Source Database as an Alternative MS Access?
Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an alternative to MS Access? TIA Dan <dan@nospam.com> writes: > Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an > alternative to MS Access? http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/Applications/Databases/140/ In article <4YnOb.91694$fq1.71625@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Dan wrote: > Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an > alternative to MS Access? http://www.rekallrevealed.org/ Dave Cook Dan wrote: > Is there any project team working on a PERS...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Web resources about - sql statement as a control source in Access reports - comp.databases.ms-access

User:Jimbo Wales/Statement of principles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As we move forward with software and social changes, I think it is imperative that I state clearly and forcefully my views on openness and the ...

Category:Articles containing potentially dated statements from June 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...

Donald Trump, Megyn Kelly feud escalates: Fox News issues statement
FOX News has blasted presidential candidate Donald Trump over his “extreme, sick obsession” with female TV anchor Megyn Kelly.

Environment Canada issues special weather statement over potential spring storm for Halifax
System moving toward our region for late Sunday and Monday with heavy snow possible.

read Richard Hell's statement on Ivan Julian ahead of cancer benefit show
"It’s horrible that he has to suffer some terribly painful, life-threatening illness, and have it ravage him financially as well. American barbarism. ...

FOMC Statement: No Change to Policy, Concern about Global developments
Note: Fewer rate hikes expected. FOMC Statement: Information received since the Federal Open Market Committee met in January suggests that economic ...

NFL issues statement on how Georgia's 'Religious Freedom Bill' c - CBS46 News
The National Football League issued a statement Friday on how Georgia's "Religious Freedom Bill" could impact a potential Super Bowl in Atlanta. ...

Adam LaRoche Issues Statement On Sudden Retirement, White Sox
LaRoche is leaving the game after a "fundamental disagreement" with Kenny Williams.

LaRoche releases statement to tell his own side of White Sox story
In a statement, Adam LaRoche said a "fundamental disagreement" with White Sox president Kenny Williams led to his departure from the team.

Full text: Adam LaRoche's statement on leaving White Sox
Below is the full statement released by Adam LaRoche via Twitter .