SQL works in Access but not in SQL Server 2000 ! Why?

I am new to MS SQL Server. I have SELECT statement which works fine
using Access 2000 but when I try to use this in SQL Server 2000 I get
error.

Statement works fine in Access 2000:

SELECT Field1, Field2
FROM Table
WHERE Field1 & Field2 LIKE '%keyword1%' AND Field1 & Field2 LIKE
'%keyword2%'

Error I get using SQL Server 2000:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid operator for
data type. Operator equals boolean AND, type equals float.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I would really appreciate your help.

SQL Server uses '+' to concatenate strings, never '&'.

On 19 Jul 2003 13:44:58 -0700, question_asp@yahoo.com (Learning) wrote:

>I am new to MS SQL Server. I have SELECT statement which works fine
>using Access 2000 but when I try to use this in SQL Server 2000 I get
>error.
>
>Statement works fine in Access 2000:
>
>SELECT Field1, Field2
>FROM Table
>WHERE Field1 & Field2 LIKE '%keyword1%' AND Field1 & Field2 LIKE
>'%keyword2%'
>
>Error I get using SQL Server 2000:
>
>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid operator for
>data type. Operator equals boolean AND, type equals float.
>
>Does anyone know how to fix this? I would really appreciate your help.

0
nospam48 (2784)
7/19/2003 9:08:44 PM
Steve Jorgensen <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:<9fdjhv0oomkcv678ld3lb2jgbnk6guo9n7@4ax.com>...
> SQL Server uses '+' to concatenate strings, never '&'.
>
> On 19 Jul 2003 13:44:58 -0700, question_asp@yahoo.com (Learning) wrote:
>
> >I am new to MS SQL Server. I have SELECT statement which works fine
> >using Access 2000 but when I try to use this in SQL Server 2000 I get
> >error.
> >
> >Statement works fine in Access 2000:
> >
> >SELECT Field1, Field2
> >FROM Table
> >WHERE Field1 & Field2 LIKE '%keyword1%' AND Field1 & Field2 LIKE
> >'%keyword2%'
> >
> >Error I get using SQL Server 2000:
> >
> >Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
> >[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid operator for
> >data type. Operator equals boolean AND, type equals float.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to fix this? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks that works fine.

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

Converting SQL Server 2000 query to MS Access 2000 query
Hello! I am trying to convert a query written for SQL Server 2000 database tables, to a MS Access query. Here is what I have in SQL Server: SELECT t2.*, CASE WHEN t2.QType = '3' THEN t1.Note ELSE CASE WHEN t2.QType = '2' THEN CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(100), t1.ANumber) = '1' THEN 'Yes' ELSE 'No' END ELSE CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(5), t2.Qnumber)+'.' + CONVERT(varchar(5), t1.ANumber) = t2.SubQ THEN 'Selected' ELSE 'Not Selected' END END END AS Client_Response FROM (SELECT * FROM ClientAnswer WHERE (OrganizationID = '491') AND (InstrumentId = 'CM005')) AS t1 RIGHT JOIN (SELECT Questions.InstrumentId, Questions.Qnumber, Questions.Question, Questions.QType, CASE WHEN TEMPT.A IS NULL THEN QNumber ELSE TEMPT.A END AS SubQ, CASE WHEN TEMPT.Answer IS NULL THEN Questions.Question ELSE TEMPT.Answer END AS Answer FROM Questions LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT QNumber AS Q, Answer, CONVERT(varchar(5), QNumber) + '.' + CONVERT(varchar(5), ANumber) AS A FROM Answers WHERE InstrumentId = 'CM005')) TEMPT ON Questions.Qnumber = TEMPT.Q WHERE (Questions.InstrumentId = 'CM005')) AS t2 ON t1.QNumber = CASE WHEN t2.QType <> '1' THEN t2.Subq ELSE t2.QNumber END ORDER BY subq It runs perfectly on the SQL Server, howev...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Access MS SQL Server 2000?
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B4EB.13FA7080 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Hello Guys, How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I can use? Lennie De Villiers ------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B4EB.13FA7080-- Lennie DeVilliers wrote: > Hello Guys, > > How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I > can use? > > Lennie De Villiers > > Check sqlrelay: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/ I tested it a very short time only (I think with a MS SQL 2000, not even sure;-), so I can...

ODBC connection
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:23:48 +0200, "Kamyk" <marcinzmyslowski@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hello all! > >I have such question to all of you. >I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing >query >based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than >the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked >but >imported to MS Access? > >Can you answer this question? > >Thank you in advance for posts >Marcin from Poland. > That depends on a lot of things... The most obvious thing it depends on is the size of the result set. In a client/server arrangement, you want to keep result sizes down, and do aggregation and filtering on the server. Next, how many people will be sharing the back-end data. Access slows down as soon as 2 people are sharing a JET back-end, but the server won't have this limitation. On the other hand, if the server is too slow, or you're trying to use MSDE with more users than it's optimized for, the server will be slow. There are m...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

Re: Access MS SQL Server 2000?
Hello, Thank you! This page: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/sqlrelay/programming/rubydbi.html Show how to use SQLRelay with Ruby. Lennie De Villiers -----Original Message----- Lennie DeVilliers wrote: > Hello Guys, > > How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I > can use? > > Lennie De Villiers > > Check sqlrelay: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/ I tested it a very short time only (I think with a MS SQL 2000, not even sure;-), so I can't say more about it. Raph ...

Sql Server 2000 linked server to Access 97/2000 incompatability
We are experiencing a problem with Sql Server 2000 linking to an Access 97 file. We have two machines that link to this .mdb file, and we recently upgraded one to newer hardware, SP3a, MDAC 2.8, etc. The link on this upgraded machine no longer works, giving this message: Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' reported an error. [OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application.] OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' IDBInitialize::Initialize r...

Too few parameters expected 2 error occurs after migrating "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server"
Hello all I get Too few parameters expected 2 error and "The MS Jet Database engine cannot find the input table or query "myTempTablename". Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. 3078" after I migrated "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server 2000" and relinked all linked tables. The front-end interface of my application is MS Access 2000. The back-end is MS SQL Server 2000. After I migrated the database and relinked all linked tables, "Too few parameters expected 2" and "input table or query "myTempTablename" 3078" error occurs. I found a article in Microsoft website. The "Too few parameter" error occurs because the limitation of the MS Access ODBC driver. If it is, any solution? Thanks in advance Cheers Bon Hi Bon, If you mean you are getting the error when you are trying to relink the tables through ODBC, then the problem could be - if your table(s) had a memo field, that sql server picked up the memo field as a varchar, and Access is trying to read a text field that exceeds 255 chars. You need to go to Query Analyzer (sql server QA) and run some queries against the offending table to see what the text length is in your varchar fields in the sql server table. And if Sql Server did pick up an Access memo field as a Sql Server Text field, ODBC can't read Sql Server Text fields. If any of the varchar fields exceeds 250 chars (for me I get errors after exceeding 250 cha...

Converting from Access 2000 to Access 2003, execute for a sql insert, update not working
Hi all, I'm sure someone knows about this problem. I have an Access database designed in Access 2000, connected to an ORACLE 8i back end. On the ORACLE side I have stored procedures, triggers and views that kick off at different times. My Access 2000 database works well. Problem: I converted the database to Access 2003 am using ORACLE again as my back end (they have updated the drivers in Oracle to 9i). I an trying to execute a querydef, when I follow both programs in 2000 the .Execute executes, when I run it in 2003 it hits the .execute and seems to goto the On Error GoTo proc_err procedure which brings up a message that there is someone putting the same information into the table. Can anyone tell me why the .execute works in 2000 but not 2003 and is this a problem with XP compared to 2000. Set qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("", strSQL) With qdf .Connect = strConnect .ReturnsRecords = False 'Perform the insertion, allowing 3 retries on error in case of contention intRetry = 0 On Error GoTo proc_retry .Execute On Error GoTo proc_err Christine.Misseri@pw.utc.com wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm sure someone knows about this problem. I have an Access database > designed in Access 2000, connected to an ORACLE 8i back end. On the > ORACLE side I have stored procedures, triggers and views that kick off > at different times. My Access 2000 database works well. > > Pro...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Migrating From Access 2000 To SQl Server 2000
Hi, I have developed an application using VB 6 (SP 5), MS Access 2000 and Crystal Reports 9. I migrated from from access to SQl Server 2000. This wasn't a problem as i could import all the tables to SQL Server. Also, i could make VB6 talk to SQl Server. The problem arsies when i run my application. The sql syntax for access seems to be different than that for SQL Server. A simple example being: In access boolean datatype is true/false ,whereas in SQL Server the boolean equivalent is bit (numerical 1 or 0). These kind of issues are causing problems and most queries don't run. Would ...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

SQL Query from Access to SQL Server
Hi I'm trying to convert an SQL Query from Access to SQL Server. The Access Query goes like this: SELECT Format(EntryDate, 'ddd mm dd') AS [Day] FROM JournalEntries This query returns the name of the day followed by month and date (Su aug 21) What would this be like in SQL Server ? What style id do I have to use to get the correct format ? Regards Rune (rune@totalweb.no) writes: > I'm trying to convert an SQL Query from Access to SQL Server. The > Access Query goes like this: > > SELECT Format(EntryDate, 'ddd mm dd') AS [Day] > FROM JournalEntri...

Why upgrade to MS SQL Server (be it 2000 or 2005) from Access (say, 97)?
Probably this question has been asked hundreds of times and yet net search has not generated satisfactory enough answer, at least, to me. And OK, let's assume your organization has more than 200 employees, just one measure to indicate that it's not small and data processing needs are quite extensive (for both OLTP and OLAP). We've heard so much about concurrency support, stability and performance. Are there any real persuasive paper out there to talk about it? Now, let me also put it in another perspective, say, you're a Microsoft sql server sales guy or gal for that matte...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Web resources about - SQL works in Access but not in SQL Server 2000 ! Why? - comp.databases.ms-access

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Planet OS Opens Access To Weather Data
... for software developers using weather data to power their apps, researchers and climate specialists enabling them to discover, access and build ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

​Kindle owners: update your devices or risk losing access
​Kindle owners: update your devices or risk losing access

Clerk rescinds ban on journalists' access to court motions
MANASSAS, Va. (AP) — A clerk's office in Virginia has ended a five-year policy of denying journalists access to any legal motions filed in the ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

Cal Investigation Finds Assistant Coach Sexually Harassed Reporter Who Accused Him Of Trying To Trade ...
... a copy of Cal’s investigation into the matter, and even Hufnagel’s own statements make it appear that he attempted to trade sex for access, ...

The Public Access Weekly: What's this?
Y'all. This week was SXSW and GDC and we are tired. So let's dive right on in so I can go back to trying to take a nap on my keyboard.

Google Wants To Improve Internet Access In Cuba, But Talks Are In 'Early Stages'
Google hopes to bring Internet access to Cuba, whose citizens are hankering for it even as they found alternative ways to get access to digital ...