Strange problem with secured database--Urgent HELP Needed

Hello ppl:
I am facing a problem that I ahve never experienced before with the
secured database. I created an MS Access 2000 application (.mdb) using
MS Access 2002 and secured it using exactly the procedure described in
the Access Security FAQ  and as I have been doing since the time I
have started using Access.
So let the access application be xxx.mdb. After completing the whole
development for xxx.mdb, i secured it using the procedure defined in
the FAQ and created the Workgroup information file for it, say
xxx_WIF.mdw. I tested it for my satisfaction and everything was
working exactly the way it is supposed to.
Now the problem I am facing is, that when the project went into QA
phase, the QA team observed that on the machines that the application
was installed for testing, the users were able to open and use the
application without using its defined workgroup information file
(xxx_WIF.mdw) and the default WIF of windows worked for them to open
the database.
Then i again tested on my beta machine and 4 other machines and quite
surprisingly it works fine on 3 machines i.e. I am not able to acess
the application without using xxx_WIF.mdw but on other two machines,
the user is able to open it using the default windows WIF
(system.mdw). (All machines use MS Access 2002 with SP3 installed)
I tried many methods to observe the reason for this behavouri but was
unsuccesfull and now have to turn to the community for SOS. Any inputs
from the community will be highly appreciated and is needed urgently
as the application is scheduled to be deployed into a couple of days.
Thanks,
Nitin

Peace :)

"xunitinmullik" <nitin_mullik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello ppl:
> I am facing a problem that I ahve never experienced before with the
> secured database. I created an MS Access 2000 application (.mdb) using
> MS Access 2002 and secured it using exactly the procedure described in
> the Access Security FAQ  and as I have been doing since the time I
> have started using Access.   [SNIP]
> Now the problem I am facing is, that when the project went into QA
> phase, the QA team observed that on the machines that the application
> was installed for testing, the users were able to open and use the
> application without using its defined workgroup information file
> (xxx_WIF.mdw) and the default WIF of windows worked for them to open
> the database.   [SNIP]

When you go into Tools - Security who does it show is the owner of the
database?

There is simply no getting around the fact that when you open an mdb using
a workgroup file that does not ask you to log in, then you are then logged
in as "Admin" who is a member of "Users".  A properly secured file cannot
be opened with such an account.  It is a mystery why only "some" machines
are allowed to open it without logging in, but I have to believe that you
missed a step in setting up security.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
8/9/2004 12:59:16 PM
"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2npap5F378edU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> When you go into Tools - Security who does it show is the owner of the
> database?
>
> There is simply no getting around the fact that when you open an mdb using
> a workgroup file that does not ask you to log in, then you are then logged
> in as "Admin" who is a member of "Users".  A properly secured file cannot
> be opened with such an account.  It is a mystery why only "some" machines
> are allowed to open it without logging in, but I have to believe that you
> missed a step in setting up security.

Thanks for your inputs and time Rick.
The owner of all the objects is a user who is the member of Admins
group and i created to administer the project. Default "Admin" also
has been stripped of all the rights with no permissions assigned to
"Users' group too. But then anything being wrong with that is a
secondary issue. The main issue that I am facing is that the
application is getting opened by a WIF that was not used to secure it.
Any further inputs to rectify the problem will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

> "Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When you go into Tools - Security who does it show is the owner of the
> > database?
> >
> > There is simply no getting around the fact that when you open an mdb using
> > a workgroup file that does not ask you to log in, then you are then logged
> > in as "Admin" who is a member of "Users".  A properly secured file cannot
> > be opened with such an account.  It is a mystery why only "some" machines
> > are allowed to open it without logging in, but I have to believe that you
> > missed a step in setting up security.
>
> Thanks for your inputs and time Rick.
> The owner of all the objects is a user who is the member of Admins
> group and i created to administer the project. [snip]

Just to be completely clear, when you say "all objects" you mean the database
object as well, correct?  This is an oft missed step when setting up security.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...
RBrandt    at       Hunter      dot      com

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
8/9/2004 11:53:58 PM
"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2nqh4pF3kjhpU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "xunitinmullik" <nitin_mullik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > When you go into Tools - Security who does it show is the owner of the
> > > database?
> > >
> > > There is simply no getting around the fact that when you open an mdb using
> > > a workgroup file that does not ask you to log in, then you are then logged
> > > in as "Admin" who is a member of "Users".  A properly secured file cannot
> > > be opened with such an account.  It is a mystery why only "some" machines
> > > are allowed to open it without logging in, but I have to believe that you
> > > missed a step in setting up security.
> >
> > Thanks for your inputs and time Rick.
> > The owner of all the objects is a user who is the member of Admins
> > group and i created to administer the project. [snip]
>
> Just to be completely clear, when you say "all objects" you mean the database
> object as well, correct?  This is an oft missed step when setting up security.

Yes Rick, the database as well. This is the most disturbing point.
Everything seems to be in place, though i am sure that there is
something wrong somewhere that is causing the behaviour. Any other
things that i should consider? Guess, will have to implement it again
from start on the backup file if the issue doesn't resolves soon.

Need Help on MLM database in MS Access
I am working on a MS Access database to track the sales of a 3 Tier Multi- level Marketing system. I have created a table to track a new RepID and a SponsorID. I have created a query that will show the Sponsor and all of their reps but I am not sure how to show the reps that the second tier has sponsored. Example: RepID 0011 SponsorID 0010 RepID 0012 SponsorID 0010 RepID 0013 SponsorID 0010 The above is easy but I am not sure how to get: RepID 0014 SponsorID 0013 and his SponsorID 0010 Does anyone have any idea of a good way to do this? Thank you, Brent Brent, It concept, it is a hierarchical data problem. Others here have solutions different from the three I know about. Each solution to this problem has its benefits and drawbacks. Study each one to decide which works best for you. Solution 1: Single table joined to itself and modeling a one-to-many relationship between a row in the table and other related rows in the same table. Solution 2: Two tables, one is the detailed information about each thing in the hierarchy (sales representative in your case) and the other is a two column list of primary keys from the first table that lists which thing in the first table is related to the other and modeling a many-to-many relationship between a row in the first table and another row in the first table. Solution 3: Two tables like Solution 2 but with as many columns as are needed in Table 2 to list each level of the hierarchy. This can make navigating...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security #2
[...]

need to compute this problem having problems with how to start this problem help need urgently
Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). plot 10 realisations of X(t) plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): > State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). > plot 10 realisations of X(t) > plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t So what have you tried? If you have not tried anything, this is a suggestion that you were not paying attention in class. Make an effort. John "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)]...

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

Ms. Access database problem
Hello, I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks for your help in advance. Orchid What error message? Did you try the standard compact/repair routine? Thanks for your reply! The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or locked." Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got the same error message. "Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112194542.469115.105910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>... > Thanks for your reply! > The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user > 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or > locked." > > Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under > Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got > the same error message. try deleting the *.ldb file on the machine that has it opened or locked. Orchid wrote: > Hello, > I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design > view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. > Is there any way to solve this problem?...

Excel database query does not work after securing an Access database
Hi all, I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint to this little annoying problem: I have a simple database that I want to be able to query from Excel. When I use the "new database query" wizard on an unsecured version of my database, everything works fine. I am able to read the tables and queries, I can build customized queries in Excel from the Access tables/queries. Now, the moment I secure my database I loose all connectiviity between Excel and Access. The wizard won't even connect to the database. When I add permission to "open/read database" object through "Users and Groups Permission" in Access, I am able to connect to the database and see all the tables/queries, but it does not show the fields. I thought that in theory if I add permissions to "read design" and "read data" to my tables and queries for the regular users that should solve the problem, but it doesn't. I am obviously missing something somewhere, but what? I searched the web but could not find anyting. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and Access 2003 and Excel 2003. Any advice???? Michael I'm actually just facing this problem as well myself, and have no answer. I have a secure database that's split front and backend. I've had split secure databases before where I have been able to query via excel, but for some reason, this one won't let me. ...

need help on a Logical problem for my database
Hello, I'm creating a discography for one artist on a web page. I started to create to database, but i'm stuck. This is the logic so far: i have a table named "album" i have another table called "track" 1 album contains multiple track, and 1 track can be in more then one album. So I created the table: album_track So far so good. Here's were i'm stuck. How do i represent multiple disc in one album? should i create another table called "disc" or do i insert the disc number somewhere in the "album_track" table along the position of the t...

Need Help Urgently with Strange Problem
I am using Ahead Nero on a Win 2000 computer with Access 2000. I have a database we printed reports from that is sorted in a particular way. When I look at the report on the screen prior to burning a CD with Nero, the onscreen data matches the printed copy. After I burn the CD, and without doing ANYTHING to the database but open it back up, the fields not included in Sorting and Grouping change their order. The onscreen reports (which the client wants to see along with the printed copies) do not match the printouts and I have no idea how to bring them back, since the sort of those fields appears to be completely random. What's really bizarre is that the local copy is "messed up" the same way as the CD copy. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Has anyone else had this problem with Nero? Thanks in advance, Janet Aldrich Janet, I've not heard of this problem before, but you may want to 1) try out a different burning product; for instance, try Windows' integrated burning program; 2) make sure you have the latest version of Nero (www.ahead.de). If you are still getting the same problem when burning with a different burning utility, you'll at least know that it's got to do with either your burner or Windows itself. I can't claim to know much about Nero, but I do know that Access doesn't guarantee the sort order of unsorted fields. If there's a particular sort order you want to return, define it in your report,...

Help needed with databases + asp problem
Hi, I'm new to databases & asp and am using dreamweaver mx 2004 (trial) to go about making dynamic pages. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem that I'm having, I would think its pretty easy to solve... Basically what I want to do is to have webpage showing the top news stories of the day with a limit of 3 database (ie news) entries per page. Obviously the top stories will change day by day and I will be adding them to the database via an asp form. This part is no problem. Where my problem arises is that if I limit the repeat region asp command to 3 entries o...

need help on Access database glitch
I am using a custom built Access database from 2002. The Access version is 2003. The computer was just upgraded from Windows 98 to Vista. after the conversion, certain forms and queries don't work. It appears that the selective forms are not permitting data to be entered. however, we don't have rights management built in. The crazy thing is when a programmer friend download the database onto his computer, these forms and queries worked fine. On my end, I've used four different computers to no avail. Some were running XP, others Vista. But when I use the old computer running Windows 98, the forms and queriers work. I have opened up the forms in Design View, and made sure the editing features and data entry features were all set to "yes". So it would appear that the settings are correct. But does anyone know if there are anything else I could try, or are there other settings within Access or the actual computer that could be causing this? ...

Help connect Ms access database
Hello All, I am trying to connect an MS database without utilizing the help of the "querybuilder", I know how to do that using the "querybuilder" but this can't work as I am trying to do an exe file and be able to use it for other pc's that I have. I am doing the following, please correct me if I am wrong, but it is not working at all: dbpath=[matlabroot,'a\toolbox\database\dbdemos\trial.accdb']; conurl = ['jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb,*.accdb)};' ... 'DBQ=' dbpath] conn=database('Trial_now','','&#...

Help setting up Ms-Access Database
I'm hoping that someone here can give me some assistance with a database I'm trying to set up. My skills in Access are fairly basic, and I'm trying to skill up, but some of the stuff is a little opaque. I'm trying to put some data I've got on paper into Access. Recently, I got together with some other people marketing organic produce and offered to do some marketing for us on a coop basis in the city. The idea I had was to have four marketing packages for coop members with different rates and services. For want of something better lets call them P1, P2, P3 & P4 I'm thinking I'll need a table with the packages, and one listing the coop members with their details. In theory, a coop member might acquire another farm (either a new one or one from someone bailing out) and put it on a separate package. Which tables would have to have a relationship? I'm thinking the packages table containing the dat about each package would have to be related via a common field to the coop member table, and there would probably have to be a link between that and the farm table, through common fields -- maybe a unique ID in the coop member table could appear in the farm table and maybe the primary key from the package table could also appear in the farm table as a foreign key. But am I right? I'd also like to create a form that would list an individual coop member's details plus any packages they own and assume that all I'd need to do would ...

Help needed to connect to remote Access database
I'm working on a project which requires me to connect to a remote Access database on a server, using C++ (not MFC). I've written some code to connect to a LOCAL access database file on my own machine and everything works fine. I can't seem to figure out how to get ODBC to talk to a remote Access database though. Can anyone suggest what I might try to get this to work? To make the local access database connection I used function SQLDriverConnect. I tried modifying the connection string to include the keyword SERVER=www.myurl.com but for some reason I just get this er...

Need help with using Access databases on the web
Hi all, I hope this is the right group... if not, a pointer would be appreciated. Our club is setting up a web site (HTML & ASP) with some information that will be provided by an Access database. The problem that I've run into is that the application fails because the Access driver is looking for a "Workgroup identification file". I don't know of a way to provide such a file because the server (host) is not under our control, and even if such a thing could be done, it wouldn't be desirable for other reasons. What is the best way to go about resolving this? TIA Neil Neil Gould wrote: > Hi all, > > I hope this is the right group... if not, a pointer would be > appreciated. > > Our club is setting up a web site (HTML & ASP) with some information > that will be provided by an Access database. The problem that I've > run into is that the application fails because the Access driver is > looking for a "Workgroup identification file". I don't know of a way > to provide such a file because the server (host) is not under our > control, and even if such a thing could be done, it wouldn't be > desirable for other reasons. > > What is the best way to go about resolving this? > > TIA > > Neil Access uses a workgroup file for security. The default workgroup file used by Access is system.mdw (or system.mda in old versions). I would have thought though that this was optionala...

MS Access Help: Copying database Relationships
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to export or copy the relationship structure from one mdb to a new one? The relationships in the db are time consuming to reproduce. I am trying to make a copy of a database including all the relationships, forms, queries and modules while still within the original database. This has to be a relatively automated process (button click). Any suggestions? yeah; use ACCESS DATA PROJECTS and you can do this all through TSQL. -aaron Instead of Exporting, make: Get External Data --> Import... All the existing relationships will be imported with the tables. Click on the Options button on the Import dialog window to have more choices. Also, I don't see your need to have made that much crossposting. -- Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC "news.giganews.com" <anthony@cambria.com> wrote in message news:3PqdnaFVzZFht1HfRVn-vw@giganews.com... > Does anyone know if there's an easy way to export or copy the relationship > structure from one mdb to a new one? The relationships in the db are time > consuming to reproduce. I am trying to make a copy of a database including > all the relationships, forms, queries and modules while still within the > original database. This has to be a relatively automated process (button > click). Any suggestions? > > Check out the CreateRelation method in Access Help. There is an example there. I have not done this, ...

Very Urgent- Database Creation problem please help.

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

Web resources about - Strange problem with secured database--Urgent HELP Needed - comp.databases.ms-access

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...