Strawman: Is MS Access a "database"?

I would argue that it is not.

JET is a desktop DB engine.
Sybase is a database
Oracle is a database
DB2 is a database.

VB 6 is a front-end development tool.
PowerBuilder is a front-end development tool.
MS Access is a front end devlopment tool.

---------------------------------------
What's got me going on this is that I keep hearing statements like  "What!
you're running a mission-critical application out of an Access database?"
Or the latest, to the effect of,  "Well, sure the app has been working a-ok for
the past five years, but would you want people reading in the Wall Street
Journal that your client is managing 65 billion dollars worth of mutual funds
with an Access database?".

Well, "No", and "No".   The back end is Sybase.  The FRONT end is MS Access and
there is no such thing as an MS Access database.

Am I off-base in saying to myself when I hear some self-styled IT expert talk
about "Access databases" that that guy doesn't know what he's talking about?

Or is it me?
PeteCresswell
0
Pete

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> I would argue that it is not.
>
> JET is a desktop DB engine.
> Sybase is a database
> Oracle is a database
> DB2 is a database.
>
> VB 6 is a front-end development tool.
> PowerBuilder is a front-end development tool.
> MS Access is a front end devlopment tool.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> What's got me going on this is that I keep hearing statements like  "What!
> you're running a mission-critical application out of an Access database?"
> Or the latest, to the effect of,  "Well, sure the app has been working a-ok
for
> the past five years, but would you want people reading in the Wall Street
> Journal that your client is managing 65 billion dollars worth of mutual funds
> with an Access database?".
>
> Well, "No", and "No".   The back end is Sybase.  The FRONT end is MS Access
and
> there is no such thing as an MS Access database.
>
> Am I off-base in saying to myself when I hear some self-styled IT expert talk
> about "Access databases" that that guy doesn't know what he's talking about?
>
> Or is it me?

The line is blurry because a "Jet database" resides in what just about everyone
would describe as an  "Access File".   I say that because in general terms when
one asks "what kind of file is that?", what they mean is "what program would I
use to open it?".  While you can create an MDB without Access and use one
without Access, you pretty much need Access if you want to open it and poke
around (and I don't mean programmatically).

If MS had from day one set Access up to be an "always split" model with
different file extensions for the front end and Jet file then I think this would
have fostered a different perception.  Frankly I don't worry about it too much.
I do stuff in Access, Java, Delphi, etc., and when people ask me about a project
I ask them "You want that in a month or do you want me to use Access?"

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
4/16/2004 1:01:33 AM
Of course it's not. Neither are any of the other products you mention.

Mike MacSween wrote:
> Of course it's not. Neither are any of the other products you mention.

DBMS yes, the files they create are databases :-)

Then there's the question, is an MDB file a database? No, it's a file
that contains a database among other objects.

--
But why is the Rum gone?
0

However, the ODBC driver for the Jet Database Engine is
called "Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)", so there is a
legitimacy to that naming convention as well.

(david)

PS: I sometimes try to explain to people that JET is a /Distributed/
database engine: part of the database engine is the File Subsystem
and network redirector.  Calling it a 'desktop' DB engine is a nice
phrase for users, but it doesn't help developers understand the nature
of the technology they are using.

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> I would argue that it is not.
>
> JET is a desktop DB engine.
> Sybase is a database
> Oracle is a database
> DB2 is a database.
>
> VB 6 is a front-end development tool.
> PowerBuilder is a front-end development tool.
> MS Access is a front end devlopment tool.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> What's got me going on this is that I keep hearing statements like  "What!
> you're running a mission-critical application out of an Access database?"
> Or the latest, to the effect of,  "Well, sure the app has been working
a-ok for
> the past five years, but would you want people reading in the Wall Street
> Journal that your client is managing 65 billion dollars worth of mutual
funds
> with an Access database?".
>
> Well, "No", and "No".   The back end is Sybase.  The FRONT end is MS
Access and
> there is no such thing as an MS Access database.
>
> Am I off-base in saying to myself when I hear some self-styled IT expert
talk
> about "Access databases" that that guy doesn't know what he's talking
about?

> Or is it me?
> --
> PeteCresswell

0
david

Too few parameters expected 2 error occurs after migrating "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server"
Hello all I get Too few parameters expected 2 error and "The MS Jet Database engine cannot find the input table or query "myTempTablename". Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. 3078" after I migrated "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server 2000" and relinked all linked tables. The front-end interface of my application is MS Access 2000. The back-end is MS SQL Server 2000. After I migrated the database and relinked all linked tables, "Too few parameters expected 2" and "input table or query "myTempTablename" 3078" error occurs. I found a article in Microsoft website. The "Too few parameter" error occurs because the limitation of the MS Access ODBC driver. If it is, any solution? Thanks in advance Cheers Bon Hi Bon, If you mean you are getting the error when you are trying to relink the tables through ODBC, then the problem could be - if your table(s) had a memo field, that sql server picked up the memo field as a varchar, and Access is trying to read a text field that exceeds 255 chars. You need to go to Query Analyzer (sql server QA) and run some queries against the offending table to see what the text length is in your varchar fields in the sql server table. And if Sql Server did pick up an Access memo field as a Sql Server Text field, ODBC can't read Sql Server Text fields. If any of the varchar fields exceeds 250 chars (for me I get errors after exceeding 250 cha...

"You don't have exclusive access to your database at this time" (Access 2003)
Hi, All of a sudden one of our clients can't use her application. She gets "You don't have exclusive access to your database at this time" when trying to open our application. The only thing she did today, according to her, was to download and install an Avery label wizard. She has rebooted and there are no other versions of Access running. The shortcut that launches the application does point to a version of Access (2003) because the installation wizard found an existing version on her PC. I believe it points to Office 11. Any ideas? -paulw Nevermind. She uninstalled the Avery Label Wizard and the problem went away! -paulw ...

Can't Add "Mode" to Quick Access Toolbar in MS-Access 2007
I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also have no button in the ribbon for this, or any ability to get into other modes via the Office button. It's very frustrating; I had to search online for a keyboard shortcut to be able to access Design Mode at all. I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it doesn't make sense. I can add and remove other buttons from the toolbar, why not Mode?? On Jun 19, 10:10=A0am, Heather <mywor...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also > have no button in the ribbon for this, or any ability to get into > other modes via the Office button. It's very frustrating; I had to > search online for a keyboard shortcut to be able to access Design Mode > at all. > > I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it doesn't make sense. I > can add and remove other buttons from the toolbar, why not Mode?? I still don't get it, but this appears to only be the case when I'm using a database that was created in an earlier version of Access. When I start a new 2007 database, I have full functionality. ...

Can I replicate database "foo" to database "bar"
Let's say that I have two servers, server M with database "foo" and server S with database "bar", with full control over them. Can I set up replication so that "foo" is replicated into "bar". (the issue is that I have many masters with the same database name foo, and I want to have one slave server with databases like foo-1, foo-2 etc, replicated from all those masters) i On 14 Aug, 22:55, Ignoramus32732 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.32732.invalid> wrote: > Let's say that I have two servers, server M with database "foo" and > se...

"NOT IN" statement not working in MS Access?
Hi all, Here is my dilemma. I have two tables, one called HS DATA and one called ImportedHighSchools. Both tables contain an ID code for each record. The table ImportedHighSchools contains 554 records. I have tried to make a query that would find all of the IDs in ImportedHighSchools that do not appear in HS DATA. Here it is. SELECT * FROM ImportedHighSchools WHERE ImportedHighSchools.ID NOT IN (SELECT [HS DATA].ID FROM HS DATA) The problem is, it doesn't return any records. And I have put in fake IDs in table ImportedHighSchools. But when I run the same query, just without the NOT statement, it returns 501 records. Would it not make sense then, that if I had the NOT IN statement in the query, it would return the remaining 53 records? I can't seem to figure this one out. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks Josh kandiko@appliedtech.us wrote: > I have tried to make a query that would find all of the IDs in > ImportedHighSchools that do not appear in HS DATA. Here it is. You can use the Unmatched Query wizard for the same function. It uses a LEFT JOIN for the purpose. That doesn't answer the original question, I know. Are both the ID fields of the same datatype? What result do you get with the LEFT JOIN strategy? -- Bas Cost Budde, Holland http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html I prefer human mail above automated so in my address replace the queue with a tea kandiko@appliedtech.us wrote: > I have two tables, one calle...

sample "ledger" access database
I'm looking for a sample access database (preferably Access 2000 or early) that is more sophisticated than the template/sample provided with Access. It's for personal use. Can anyone point me to some freeware or samples? Thanks, Steve svinter@excite.com I had a good look around for one a while ago and couldnt find anything. You could have a look at http://www.databasecreations.com/ they make some access databases. They are not free, but you can have a squizy at the table structure. "Steve V" <svinter@excite.com> wrote in message news:MPG.19d37bc148610c5e989683@net...

renaming "Exit Access" command to "Exit" in Access 2007

access 2002 database "save as" not enabled
Hello all, I'm trying to help someone with a strange problem with access 2002. When they go in to make changes, they usually make a copy as a new name by using the File, Save As command in access 2002. However, the save as is not enabled. They've sent me screen pics showing the database window, and the file menu showing the problem. Any ideas? Thanks! AFAIK, you can't copy a db file that way. you have to Copy | Paste from Windows Explorer. (if you try Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v in the open database, you only get a copy of the object currently selected in the db window.) or, seeing that it's A2002, your user can go to Tools | Database Utilities | Back Up Database... to make a backup copy. it's a handy enhancement that's not available in A97 and prior; i don't recall if it's availabe in A2000 or not. hth "Andy" <PCESoft@PCESoft.invalid> wrote in message news:fpTcl.14018$YU2.9862@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com... > Hello all, > > I'm trying to help someone with a strange problem with access 2002. When > they go in to make changes, they usually make a copy as a new name by using > the File, Save As command in access 2002. However, the save as is not > enabled. They've sent me screen pics showing the database window, and the > file menu showing the problem. > > Any ideas? > > Thanks! > While the DB is open you cannot make a copy like that. For FREE Access ebook and videos click here http://acce...

Ms-Access "Query Design View" problem
Hi all, MS-Access keeps changing my original sql if I switch to Query Design View mode. Is there any way to prevent this? It is combining my criteria rows with "OR"s. Regards, Mehmet th23ga wrote: > Hi all, > > MS-Access keeps changing my original sql if I switch to Query Design > View mode. Is there any way to prevent this? It is combining my > criteria rows with "OR"s. > > Regards, > > Mehmet > > > Does it change your logic? Salad, Unfortunately it is changing my logic / data pull. Could this problem related to ANSI 92 SQL Query mode setting under Tools/Options/[Tables/ Queries] tab? Regards, Mehmet th23ga <mbaserdem@gmail.com> wrote in news:c3e7c9c7-660e-44c9-b0c3- 7150bdfd48c8@d4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com: > Hi all, > > MS-Access keeps changing my original sql if I switch to Query Design > View mode. Is there any way to prevent this? It is combining my > criteria rows with "OR"s. > > Regards, > > Mehmet > Is it changing ANDs to ORs, or is it simply adding ORs? It usually does this when the SQL syntax you entered in SQL View is incorrect. -- Bob Quintal PA is y I've altered my email address. ...

VB5 "unrecognized database format" access 2000
I keep getting this error when opening this Access database, with visual basic 5. I have upgraded to Jet4, applied all possible service packs for visual studio, tried using DataEnvironment that has all upgrades, recompiled Visdata project with new references to jet4. Visdata will open database and show fields on form, but if try to run from project window or create .exe and run, it still says "unrecognized database format". I did remove msjet35.dll, now the VB5 tries to load msjet35.dll at runtime and indicates an error when it can't. So that tells me that even though I ran serv...

MS Access Runtime Crashes at SendKeys "{pgup}"
Dear Access Friends, Hi Ho, or Ho Ho, if you are into Santa.. I have a database that runs our s= ales department. keeps all their customers, what they sell, everything. V= ery in depth database. I didnt' write it, but have inherited it from predi= cessors long gone by the wayside. So- I've tried to mess with it as little= as possible except for converting all the macro code to VBA and making any= necessary changes regarding that. I have this running on all different manner of clients, some on Runtime 200= 2, some on runtime 2010. THIS computer however is different. First of all= , it's a Xenon Chip on a Processor Motherboard, but instead of running serv= er software they just put Windows 7/64 on it. =20 When I run the runtime version of my Sales Database/Contact Manager, it jus= t upand crashed - right away! I determined the page it was crashing on, an= d inserted msgbox markers inbetween each line of code so I could figure out= what was making it crash. The program was pretty simple,=20 Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) MsgBox "start of form" ' SendKeys "{pgup}" MsgBox "after sendkeys <deleted>" DoCmd.ShowToolbar "abc toolbar" MsgBox "after showtoolbar" CalculateFilldates =3D 0 << S N I P >> It crashes right as it sends the sendkeys! What is that all about? It's n= ot even a complicated function! Well, it might be, but ...

Web resources about - Strawman: Is MS Access a "database"? - comp.databases.ms-access