TAB CONTROL to load a FORM

I'm starting a new project. A Personnel System. I have considered
opening a single bound form to the main employee table. The user can
scroll the records to any individual. I would like to have a tab
control at the top of the form which would allow the user to select
(PERSONAL), (TRAINING),(DISIPLINARY),and (SICKLEAVE) Tabs. Each Tab
should open a FORM and display the relavant TABLE of records tied to
the Employee being viewed in the MainForm.

How do I get the Tab selected to load a (Form or SubForm Control) and
it's Table?
Can I, or should I close the Form/Table when leaving the selected Tab?

OR ... Should I just open multiple tables at startup, and make the
relevant fields available
in each Tab Page ?

ThankYou
Greg

0
ApexData (236)

<ApexData@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm starting a new project. A Personnel System. I have considered
> opening a single bound form to the main employee table. The user can
> scroll the records to any individual. I would like to have a tab
> control at the top of the form which would allow the user to select
> (PERSONAL), (TRAINING),(DISIPLINARY),and (SICKLEAVE) Tabs. Each Tab
> should open a FORM and display the relavant TABLE of records tied to
> the Employee being viewed in the MainForm.
>
> How do I get the Tab selected to load a (Form or SubForm Control) and
> it's Table?
> Can I, or should I close the Form/Table when leaving the selected Tab?
>
> OR ... Should I just open multiple tables at startup, and make the
> relevant fields available
> in each Tab Page ?

Tabs don't have their own tables.  What you would do is create subforms for each
of those tables and place a subform onto each tab page. The standard mechanism
for a subform (MasterLink and ChildLink properties) is what will cause you to
see the records that are related to the main record.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
12/10/2006 6:33:55 PM
well, you couldn't do it with a tab control, but you could use an option
group, with each button opening a separate form bound to one of the
"subordinate" tables - Personal, Training, Disciplinary, Sick Leave. you can
use a WHERE clause in the OpenForm action to filter the subordinate records
to match the current record in the main form.

you might want to consider keeping everything on one main form, though,
rather than opening separate "pop up" forms. consider the following setup:
create an unbound main form; i'll call it frmMain.
add a tab control with two tab pages in it.
add a subform control to each tab page; on page 1, i'll call the subform
control ChildEmployees, on page2, i'll call the subform control
ChildDetails.
add an unbound textbox control to the main form; i'll call it txtPK, and set
its' Visible property to No.
add an option group with five toggle buttons in it, to the main form; i'll
call it grpChoice.
set the first button's OptionValue property to 0, and its' Caption property
to Employees; set the second button's OptionValue property to 1, and its'
Caption property to Personal; set the third button's OptionValue to 2, and
its' Caption property to Training, and so on for the last two buttons.
set the option group's BorderStyle property to Transparent, and delete the
label attached to the option group control.

now create a new form, bound to tblEmployees, and set its' DefaultView to
ContinuousForms or Datasheet. i'll call the primary key field of
tblEmployees, EmpID.
i'll call the form frmEmployees.

create a new form for each of the subordinate tables - Personal, Training,
Disciplinary, Sick Leave.
each of the subordinate tables should already have a foreign key field in
it, that links it back to tblEmployees. i'll call those foreign keys
personal_EmpID, training_EmpID, disciplinary_EmpID, sickleave_EmpID.
i'll call the forms frmPersonal, frmTraining, frmDisciplinary, frmSickLeave.

okay, now we're ready to connect the dots:
open frmMain in design view.
on tab page1, select ChildEmployees, and set it's SourceObject property to
frmEmployees.
select txtPK, and set its' ControlSource property to

=[ChildEmployees].[Form]![EmpID]

on tab page2, select ChildDetails, and set its' LinkMasterFields property to
txtPK. select grpChoices, and create an event procedure on the Click event.
add the following code to the event procedure, as

    Select Case Me!grpChoices
        Case 1
            Me!ChildDetails.SourceObject = "frmPersonal"
            Me!ChildDetails.LinkChildFields = "personal_EmpID"
        Case 2
            Me!ChildDetails.SourceObject = "frmTraining"
            Me!ChildDetails.LinkChildFields = "training_EmpID"
        Case 3
            Me!ChildDetails.SourceObject = "frmDisciplinary"
            Me!ChildDetails.LinkChildFields = "disciplinary_EmpID"
        Case 4
            Me!ChildDetails.SourceObject = "frmSickLeave"
            Me!ChildDetails.LinkChildFields = "sickleave_EmpID"
    End Select

    If Me!grpChoices = 0 Then
        Me!TabCtl0 = 0
    Else
        Me!TabCtl0 = 1
    End If

last but not least, set the tab control's BackStyle property to Transparent,
and Style property to None.

here's how it works. when you open frmMain, you see the employees subform
and the option group of toggle buttons. scroll down to whatever employee you
want to see details about, and click one of the four toggle buttons -
Personal, Training, etc. the employees subform "disappears" and the details
subform appears showing the records related to the employee you chose. click
another button and the subform changes to the newly selected detail
records - still for the same employee. to go back to the employee list,
click the Employees toggle button.

the advantage to this setup is that when frmMain opens, only one subform
loads - frmEmployees. this is quicker than loading five subforms. since the
user can only look at one subform at a time, there's no point in actually
having four additional subforms, one for each subordinate table. instead,
the subform control on the second tab page displays whichever subform is
loaded when a toggle button in the option group is clicked.

hth

<ApexData@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm starting a new project. A Personnel System. I have considered
> opening a single bound form to the main employee table. The user can
> scroll the records to any individual. I would like to have a tab
> control at the top of the form which would allow the user to select
> (PERSONAL), (TRAINING),(DISIPLINARY),and (SICKLEAVE) Tabs. Each Tab
> should open a FORM and display the relavant TABLE of records tied to
> the Employee being viewed in the MainForm.
>
> How do I get the Tab selected to load a (Form or SubForm Control) and
> it's Table?
> Can I, or should I close the Form/Table when leaving the selected Tab?
>
> OR ... Should I just open multiple tables at startup, and make the
> relevant fields available
> in each Tab Page ?
>

> ThankYou
> Greg

0
nospam8319 (412)
12/10/2006 10:15:06 PM
Thankyou all for the great suggestions. I will test run a few and see
what works best for me.  I have the added consideration of
(New/Edit/Del) buttons
that I want at the MainForm heading, nad some security features I need
to build in
which I should not be too complex. I'll simply enable/disable the tabs
based on user.
The New/Edit/Del issue may be a problem, since I want it in one place
(the heading)
but it has to work with the main form or subforms, whichever has the
focus.

Greg

0
ApexData (236)

Tab Events of Access Application ? (NOT Access Tab Control)
I'm trying to use the event when a person moves to a different form by clicking on the built in Access application tabs. Is there something I can reference or does it require some kind of subclassing/hook api calls? Thanks On Jul 21, 9:47=A0pm, "christianlo...@yahoo.com" <christianlo...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I'm trying to use the event when a person moves to a different form by > clicking on the built in Access application tabs. > > Is there something I can reference or does it require some kind of > subclassing/hook api calls? > > Thanks Hi Christian, You can use the OnDeactivate event. Imb. > You can use the OnDeactivate event. Hello Imb, Aha. Now I am forced to make an event for each form. Trying to automate what tab the ribbon moves to based on the access application tab. Okay, thanks. Access could use a rewrite of it's event system imho. There are no top level application events to tap into, no 'after delete' event, record saves w/ a 'dirty=true', it's all quite ridiculous. I was hoping the new table events would be the solution but they come up w/ this 'data macro' crap where there doesn't seem to be any way to call your own code on the event. Sometimes I wonder if the ms developers ever use Access. However, I love the report and form design improvements. <christianlott1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ba72c614-57c0-4045-9af0-3cd9734e923b@r18g2000vbs.googlegro...

Form layout question: How move controls in a Form to (in) a Tab Control?
Hi, I created a form with a lot of controls on it. (textboxes, pulldown's etc.) Because the form is a little full I want to move the controls to different pages on a tab control. HOW can one do this?. If I drag them the tab control is not 'activated' if the mouse pointer is above the tab control. (if one creates a new textbox and place it on the tab control this tab control page turns black to show it's activated) This does not work while dragging??! Thanks in advance, Eddie Smit Holland. (The Netherlands) >Because the form is a little full I want to move the >control...

Forms/Subforms in MS Access Database

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want ...

Open Form in Ms-Access from a hyperlink by using dhtml control
Hey ! I'm having a little ms-access application problem. in form A I have a dhtml control which I'm trying to assign it's documentHtml property a html string. I want that the html string will contain a hyperlink which open another form in access. Can I do that ? David ...

Tab control in one of the tabs of another tab control
One of my colleagues is working with a tab control. He has several tabs. He is trying to embed another tab control inside one of the tabs of the first tab control. He had placed the second tab control inside one of the tabs of the first tab control. But the problem is that the second tab control does not show up (unless one goes to the block diagram and double clicks the second tab control, only then does it shows up; when the vi is closed and reopened its again not there). I told him that I had never seen such functionality (a tab control inside another tab control) in any application but is it somehow possible. All this is required while the VI is not running and is being developed (of course it should work at run time, but this functionality must show while the VI is not running, i.e., this functionality should be non-programmatic. Is it possible. Thanks for your time. Hi rashid, yes it is possible. See the attached example. I see no problems with it.Hope it helps.Mike Untitled_LV71.vi: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/323165/1/Untitled_LV71.vi Thanks <a href="../view_profile?user.id=88992" class="auth_text" style="font-weight: bold;" target="_blank"> MikeS81</a>! Yes you are absolutely right. Your VI is working perfectly. I wonder what has my friend done to get such behaviour as he is getting. Strange! Thanks for the help!Have a very nice day! Hi rashid, can you upload your vi, maybe someone found the proble...

MS Access 2002
MS Access 2002 - query form control returns funny symbols like [][] I am running an append query on a form. Access is having trouble with the calculated fields and comboboxes. Example &#8211; referring to forms!FormName!ControlName within the query should return the value of that control, correct? I am receiving symbols such as boxes [] or [][] as well as Chinese symbols. Any thoughts as to why this is happening. thanks This happens if Access does not understand the data type of the calculated controls. Typecast the calculated fields, and set the Format of unbound controls. For ...

MS Access 2000 VBA Code Shows Totally Incorrect Date from Controls on a Form
Hi, Sorry for my English. English is not my native tougue. I am working in MS Access 2000 with a SQLServer 2000 Backend database. MS Access 2000 is my GUI front end that has SQLServer linked tables in it. One of my forms has two TEXT BOX controls formated as Short Date. The form is binded to a linked table. The linked tables has about 7 records and one of the control is binded to a table field. These two controls displays the date correctly as 01/07/2006 and 31/07/2006 (I am running Windows XP, my regional setting is set to English Australia, location is set to Australia, language for non-...

how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server
I am on Redhat Linux 9 and using Oracle 10G (10.0.1.3?). I know how to create a Oracle database instance and use EM database control to administer the database. To access database control from a browser, Oracle asks to enter a URL: http://server_name:5500/em The URL does not specify the ORACLE_SID. I however want to create several database instances on the same box. Will Oracle automatically set up a different port (e.g., 5501) for second instance. All the documentation I have found on Oracle's web site refers to a single database instance on a server. Appreciate any pointers. Thanks a lot, Prem You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid Control or DB Console. Jining Han Jining Han wrote: > You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your > database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid > Control or DB Console. > > Jining Han I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to access many instnaces on the same server using database control. Prem Of course you can, a DB Console for each database, and you can choose that as your preferred approach, too. But I really think it's a waste of resources and a big inconvenience. You are probably better off with the "tradictional" desktop console. Just my 2 cents. Jining Han <premmehrotra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

Making MS Access Form as a standalone form like in VB
Well, its sames difficult for me; I love access so much and wish to make it perform extra task. I prepared an HTML form but can not connect it to my access table and so I think it is possible to make an access form a standalone form for user input. Can anyone assist. My mail add is dianafather@aim.com. *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Oscar, why don't you just code up a VB form for user input and connect it to an Access backend? To my knowledge, you can't force an Access form to exist outside of Access. Your users would have to open the Access file to ent...

OT: MS Access runtime wants to control all MS Office charts
Office 97, Access 97, Sagekeys scripts. In addtion of Access 97, my runtime package is installed too. This is an old application that has been running since 1998. The customer is happy with it. I have a glitch in.... Powerpoint 97. When an user double-clicks a chart, it starts my Ms Access Runtime Installer! It will do the same if he right-clicks and uses 'Edit'. If he selects 'Open', it will do it in a separate windows and it is Ok. Thius probably comes because MS Chart is shared among office apps. I would really like to have this problem even if there is a turnaround and I have the feeling that the solution should be in the registry, but I can't find where. Any help appreciated. TIA. "saintor1@hotmail.com" <saintor1@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1183816847.132126.79420@c77g2000hse.googlegroups.com: > Office 97, Access 97, Sagekeys scripts. In addtion of Access > 97, my runtime package is installed too. > > This is an old application that has been running since 1998. > The customer is happy with it. > > I have a glitch in.... Powerpoint 97. > > When an user double-clicks a chart, it starts my Ms Access > Runtime Installer! It will do the same if he right-clicks > and uses 'Edit'. If he selects 'Open', it will do it in a > separate windows and it is Ok. Thius probably comes because > MS Chart is shared among office apps. > > I would really like to have thi...

A2K3 form can't find a control on the form when loading!
Hi, This is bizarre. I've check and rechecked the spelling, cut and paste the name of the form (when trying to rename the form) and the control yet I still get a parameter prompt when the form runs. I've even deleted the control and started over. This is the code for the recordsource of the form: "SELECT * FROM qryGuestStorePurchases_pw WHERE purchaser=Forms!frmWalkUpPurchases_pw.cboGuests_pw; " I copied and pasted the name of the control: frmWalkUpPurchases_pw The 'Enter Parameter Value" I get when trying to run the form is for "Forms!frmWalkUpPurchases_pw.cboGuests_pw" I don't see any mispellings, do you? I copied an existing form and changed the recordsource for both the form and the combobox. Any ideas? By the way, the SQL syntax for the query (which runs fine), which should not have anything to do with this, is: SELECT qrySoldBy_pw.PurchaseID, qrySoldBy_pw.ReservationID, qrySoldBy_pw.Date, qrySoldBy_pw.InventoryID, qrySoldBy_pw.Purchaser, qrySoldBy_pw.Price, tblInventory.ItemNumber, tblInventory.description, qrySoldBy_pw.Quantity, qrySoldBy_pw.Tax, qrySoldBy_pw.Name, qrySoldBy_pw.InventoryType, qrySoldBy_pw.PurchaserType, tblInventory.size, tblInventory.color, qrySoldBy_pw.SoldBy, qrySoldBy_pw.SoldByName FROM tblClients INNER JOIN (tblInventory INNER JOIN qrySoldBy_pw ON tblInventory.InventoryID = qrySoldBy_pw.InventoryID) ON tblClients.ClientID = qrySoldBy_pw.Purchaser WHERE (((qrySoldBy_pw.InventoryType)="S&q...

Web resources about - TAB CONTROL to load a FORM - comp.databases.ms-access

From Armenia to Australia, how the mob controls the trafficking of ice into Australia
In America, they are called the "Five Families". The term refers to the five major New York organised crime families of the Mafia, with a history ...

From Armenia to Australia, how the mob controls the trafficking of ice into Australia
In America, they are called the "Five Families". The term refers to the five major New York organised crime families of the Mafia, with a history ...

From Armenia to Australia, how the mob controls the trafficking of ice into Australia
In America, they are called the &quot;Five Families&quot;. &nbsp;The term refers to the five major New York organised crime families of the Mafia, ...

How-To: Reduce iPhone screen brightness beyond what’s possible in Control Center or Display & Brightness ...
... about sharing in the past, involves reducing iPhone screen brightness beyond levels that are possible with the standard brightness slider controls. ...

Stagefright-based ‘Metaphor’ exploit can take control of your phone in just 15 seconds
The old Android malware beastie is at it again, with researchers uncovering a new Stagefright-based exploit that can be used to take control ...

Creative Control explores the dark side of augmented reality—with humor
... Here's what the future looks like: collecting data on people while wearing AR glasses. 7 more images in gallery In the film Creative Control ...

4 Ways to Control Your Mind and Lose Weight
... after a week of eating the same things. I have found that almost anytime I have plateaued, a cheat meal has broken the plateau. Gain Control ...

The Latest: Officers regain control of Alabama prison dorm
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The Latest on the disturbances at a prison in Alabama where inmates have stabbed each other and prison authorities and ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...