Tab Events of Access Application ? (NOT Access Tab Control)

I'm trying to use the event when a person moves to a different form by
clicking on the built in Access application tabs.

Is there something I can reference or does it require some kind of
subclassing/hook api calls?

Thanks

On Jul 21, 9:47=A0pm, "christianlo...@yahoo.com"
<christianlo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use the event when a person moves to a different form by
> clicking on the built in Access application tabs.
>
> Is there something I can reference or does it require some kind of
> subclassing/hook api calls?
>
> Thanks

Hi Christian,

You can use the OnDeactivate event.

Imb.
0
imb4u (67)
7/21/2011 8:48:34 PM
> You can use the OnDeactivate event.

Hello Imb,

Aha. Now I am forced to make an event for each form. Trying to
automate what tab the ribbon moves to based on the access application
tab.

Okay, thanks.

Access could use a rewrite of it's event system imho. There are no top
level application events to tap into, no 'after delete' event, record
saves w/ a 'dirty=true', it's all quite ridiculous.

I was hoping the new table events would be the solution but they come
up w/ this 'data macro' crap where there doesn't seem to be any way to
call your own code on the event.

Sometimes I wonder if the ms developers ever use Access.

However, I love the report and form design improvements.

<christianlott1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> You can use the OnDeactivate event.
>
> Hello Imb,
>
> Aha. Now I am forced to make an event for each form. Trying to
> automate what tab the ribbon moves to based on the access application
> tab.

You don't have write a event for each form, put a function or a sub in a
module and call it from the form. Enter "=YourFunctionName()" in the
deactivate event .

> Okay, thanks.
>
> Access could use a rewrite of it's event system imho. There are no top
> level application events to tap into, no 'after delete' event, record
> saves w/ a 'dirty=true', it's all quite ridiculous.

What would those events look like?  Would you put after delete and record
save code in both the form and the application events? How would the
application events know which form or report to control? With the current
event model the form manages the data. When you click a tab you get Control,
Record and Form events on the form you are leaving and Form, Record and
Control events on the form you are entering.

0
none18 (402)
7/22/2011 12:22:23 PM
> > Aha. Now I am forced to make an event for each form. Trying to
> > automate what tab the ribbon moves to based on the access application
> > tab.
>
> You don't have write a event for each form, put a function or a sub in a
> module and call it from the form. Enter "=3DYourFunctionName()" in the
> deactivate event .

Yes you are right, but that is in effect inserting an event stub in
each form/report, even if it is just to call the same routine. The
more direct way is to be able to use an application tab event. That
way you don't need to remember to insert that de/activate event stub
in each new form/report. I will be walking away from this db at some
point but the users may still be creating new reports and will have to
remember this (arbitrary) formality.

> > Okay, thanks.
>
> > Access could use a rewrite of it's event system imho. There are no top
> > level application events to tap into, no 'after delete' event, record
> > saves w/ a 'dirty=3Dtrue', it's all quite ridiculous.
>
> What would those events look like? =A0Would you put after delete and reco=
rd
> save code in both the form and the application events?

I initially intended the form event, but at the application level
could be useful as well. At present I create a right-click/context
menu to delete the record AND hook into the delete key down event to
call a routine that deletes the record. I need to do some post delete
re-querying of the form so it updates correctly. OnDelete cannot re-
query the form AFTER the delete.

> How would the
> application events know which form or report to control?

Well, if you used an application level AfterDelete (or any other
application level event) it would apply to ALL open forms (etc).

> With the current
> event model the form manages the data.

Say you have two forms viewing the same table open in two tabs. You
type in the first form, tab (click) to the next form. Now try typing
data in the second form. You can't.  The data is still locked from the
first edit. You must detect (on the de/activate of Each form) when it
is de/activated and save the previous record before editing the new
form because it won't automatically save. And to save that record we
get to the 'dirty=3Dtrue/false' silliness. And I say it's silly because
there is no  form/control level auto-save method.

> When you click a tab you get Control,
> Record and Form events on the form you are leaving and Form, Record and
> Control events on the form you are entering.

Not saying it's completely wrong, I'm just saying it can be more
orthogonal AND allow the developer to tap into the higher level event
system that is already there, just not exposed to us.

>> > Aha. Now I am forced to make an event for each form. Trying to
>> > automate what tab the ribbon moves to based on the access application
>> > tab.
>>
>> You don't have write a event for each form, put a function or a sub in a
>> module and call it from the form. Enter "=YourFunctionName()" in the
>> deactivate event .
>
> Yes you are right, but that is in effect inserting an event stub in
> each form/report, even if it is just to call the same routine. The
> more direct way is to be able to use an application tab event. That
> way you don't need to remember to insert that de/activate event stub
> in each new form/report. I will be walking away from this db at some
> point but the users may still be creating new reports and will have to
> remember this (arbitrary) formality.

Not only a new programmer but also you after a number of years of not
working the the application. That is why you document the application and
test changes.

>> > Okay, thanks.
>>
>> > Access could use a rewrite of it's event system imho. There are no top
>> > level application events to tap into, no 'after delete' event, record
>> > saves w/ a 'dirty=true', it's all quite ridiculous.
>>
>> What would those events look like?  Would you put after delete and record
>> save code in both the form and the application events?
>
> I initially intended the form event, but at the application level
> could be useful as well. At present I create a right-click/context
> menu to delete the record AND hook into the delete key down event to
> call a routine that deletes the record. I need to do some post delete
> re-querying of the form so it updates correctly. OnDelete cannot re-
> query the form AFTER the delete.
>

>> How would the
>> application events know which form or report to control?
>
> Well, if you used an application level AfterDelete (or any other
> application level event) it would apply to ALL open forms (etc).

I don't understand what a application delete event could do that a form
delete event could not do better, unless you are allow users to edit the
tables; which is not a best practice in Access. If you need some code to run
after any delete, like logging, call a module level function.

>> With the current
>> event model the form manages the data.
>
> Say you have two forms viewing the same table open in two tabs. You
> type in the first form, tab (click) to the next form. Now try typing
> data in the second form. You can't.  The data is still locked from the
> first edit. You must detect (on the de/activate of Each form) when it
> is de/activated and save the previous record before editing the new
> form because it won't automatically save. And to save that record we
> get to the 'dirty=true/false' silliness. And I say it's silly because
> there is no  form/control level auto-save method.

I would think you would want to verify the data before using it in the 2nd
form. Just like if a 2nd user wanted to edit the data on that record.
Holding the user on the 1st form and showing them an error message would be
less confusing then seeing the error from the 1st form displayed in the 2nd.

>> When you click a tab you get Control,
>> Record and Form events on the form you are leaving and Form, Record and
>> Control events on the form you are entering.
>
> Not saying it's completely wrong, I'm just saying it can be more
> orthogonal AND allow the developer to tap into the higher level event
> system that is already there, just not exposed to us.

You may want to look at object modules. I once saw a example using object
modules to control 2 instances of the same form, allowing data to be passed
though the object. It was a booking application that allowed you to move
customers between 2 open events.

0
none18 (402)
7/22/2011 6:00:11 PM

> >> You don't have write a event for each form, put a function or a sub in=
> >> module and call it from the form. Enter "=3DYourFunctionName()" in the
> >> deactivate event .
>
> > Yes you are right, but that is in effect inserting an event stub in
> > each form/report, even if it is just to call the same routine. The
> > more direct way is to be able to use an application tab event. That
> > way you don't need to remember to insert that de/activate event stub
> > in each new form/report. I will be walking away from this db at some
> > point but the users may still be creating new reports and will have to
> > remember this (arbitrary) formality.
>
> Not only a new programmer but also you after a number of years of not
> working the the application. That is why you document the application and
> test changes.

If I want a standard event to trigger for every report in the
application I shouldn't need to embed a new event in every new report.
This is common sense.

Programming is about relieving repetitive, tedious, arbitrary tasks,
not about documenting them so you can keep doing it.

> >> What would those events look like? =A0Would you put after delete and r=
ecord
> >> save code in both the form and the application events?
>
> > I initially intended the form event, but at the application level
> > could be useful as well. At present I create a right-click/context
> > menu to delete the record AND hook into the delete key down event to
> > call a routine that deletes the record. I need to do some post delete
> > re-querying of the form so it updates correctly. OnDelete cannot re-
> > query the form AFTER the delete.
>
> >> How would the
> >> application events know which form or report to control?
>
> > Well, if you used an application level AfterDelete (or any other
> > application level event) it would apply to ALL open forms (etc).
>
> I don't understand what a application delete event could do that a form
> delete event could not do better, unless you are allow users to edit the
> tables; which is not a best practice in Access. If you need some code to =
run
> after any delete, like logging, call a module level function.

Like above - if you have a standard method that must be applied to all
forms/reports or at least the majority of them - it makes sense to
have an application level event sink NOT tediously embed the same
function call in every form/report.

> >> With the current
> >> event model the form manages the data.
>
> > Say you have two forms viewing the same table open in two tabs. You
> > type in the first form, tab (click) to the next form. Now try typing
> > data in the second form. You can't. =A0The data is still locked from th=
> > first edit. You must detect (on the de/activate of Each form) when it
> > is de/activated and save the previous record before editing the new
> > form because it won't automatically save. And to save that record we
> > get to the 'dirty=3Dtrue/false' silliness. And I say it's silly because
> > there is no =A0form/control level auto-save method.
>
> I would think you would want to verify the data before using it in the 2n=
> form. Just like if a 2nd user wanted to edit the data on that record.
> Holding the user on the 1st form and showing them an error message would =
be
> less confusing then seeing the error from the 1st form displayed in the 2=
nd.

And an application level  'tab-click' event wouldn't be able to find
out what the last and current form and control were? Not true.

> >> When you click a tab you get Control,
> >> Record and Form events on the form you are leaving and Form, Record an=
> >> Control events on the form you are entering.
>
> > Not saying it's completely wrong, I'm just saying it can be more
> > orthogonal AND allow the developer to tap into the higher level event
> > system that is already there, just not exposed to us.
>
> You may want to look at object modules. I once saw a example using object
> modules to control 2 instances of the same form, allowing data to be pass=
ed
> though the object. It was a booking application that allowed you to move
> customers between 2 open events.

I haven't had the opportunity to explore these two demos but I think
these have something to do with what I'm wanting:

Power Tip: Use dynamic event callbacks to simplify complicated
applications
http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-access/archive/2010/08/10/power-tip-use=
-dynamic-event-callbacks-to-simplify-complicated-applications.aspx

Power Tip: Experiment with dynamic event callbacks
http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-access/archive/2011/01/17/power-tip-exp=
eriment-with-dynamic-event-callbacks.aspx

Unfortunately, you and the architects / designers of Access have a different
view.  And, now that Microsoft's emphasis seems to be on Access as an
Information Worker's end-user tool and on Access Web Apps (frontending
SharePoint), I suspect the chances that they will make such a significant
change and investment in Access forms are the proverbial two: slim and none.

On the other hand, I can't recall that, in my use of Access on a daily basis
since early 1993, I have ever suffered from lack of an event that would fire
on the opening of every report in an application, nor from an event that
would fire on the opening of every form.

What you describe as needed on any delete is provided in server databases by
"triggers", and there is some implementation of triggers in Access 2007 and
2010 in the current ACE, database engine for ACCDB and its siblings and
cousins -- as all my client work is using classic Access (2003 and earlier),
I haven't had occasion to look into those enhancements. If that doesn't work
for you, then SQL Server Express Edition is free, has somewhat more storage
capacity, and does have extensive capability for triggers.

--
 Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
 Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

> [...]

> > orthogonal AND allow the developer to tap into the higher level event
> > system that is already there, just not exposed to us.
>
> You may want to look at object modules. I once saw a example using object
> modules to control 2 instances of the same form, allowing data to be
> passed
> though the object. It was a booking application that allowed you to move
> customers between 2 open events.

I haven't had the opportunity to explore these two demos but I think
these have something to do with what I'm wanting:

Power Tip: Use dynamic event callbacks to simplify complicated
applications
http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-access/archive/2010/08/10/power-tip-use-dynamic-event-callbacks-to-simplify-complicated-applications.aspx

Power Tip: Experiment with dynamic event callbacks

accdevel (436)

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want ...

Accessing Notes from Access
Hello All, We have been charged with extracting some information from a notes database, into access or excel. We don't own any lotus products at all. We've tried installing NotesSQL odbc driver, which appears to install just fine, but it doesn't add any odbc driver to the listing, and when I run the admin tool it tells me that we don't have any appropriate version of notes on the machine. The system prereq stated we needed one of the lotus apps. So, I assume that we won't have access to the notessql driver unless we get a copy of notes or domino. The...

ACCESS accessibility from a C++ process launched from an ACCESS form
Here is my problem. From an ACCESS form, I run a C++ process reaching the same database in read/write mode via the ODBC driver. An error occurs: " The database has been placed by an unknown user in a state preventing it from being opened either locked. SQLSetConnectAttr failure of the pilot " (Nota : translated approximatively from the french error message). However, if I have used an another form before (eg. to modify a table), or if I have modified myself a record of any table, there is no problem. It seems that the database is in a state " read-only " by default until th...

Access parameters and accessibility
I'm reading the book "Programming in Ada 2005" of John Barnes and I have difficulties to understand the chapter about access parameters. In chapter 10.7 on pages 197/198 he writes: --- An access parameter can be passed on to another access parameter; typically the accessibility indication is passed on unchanged but in the unusual circumstance where the called subprogram is internal to the calling subprogram, the accessibility level is replaced by that of the (statically known) formal calling parameter if less than the original actual parameter. --- Could some...

Spawning Access from Access
Hello, Is it possible to spawn an Access program from another Access program with out going to a batch file or something? I would like to have an Access main menu and bring up a different front end Access program depending on the menu selection. I'm using Access 2000. Thanks, Hank Reed On 27 Dec 2004 05:26:34 -0800, "Hank" <hankrunner@aol.com> wrote: Sure. You can use Automation like this: dim o as new Access.Application o.visible=true o.OpenCurrentDatabase "c:\two.mdb", False -Tom. >Hello, >Is it possible to spawn an Access program from another Acc...

Accessing webservice from access
Hi Is it possible to call a web service that returns a dataset, from access? Could I please have an example of how to call such a service from access? Thanks Regards "John" <john@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:40d73cf3$0$287$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com... > Hi > > Is it possible to call a web service that returns a dataset, from access? > Could I please have an example of how to call such a service from access? > > Thanks > > Regards I don't know if there's an easier way but you can use the MSXML object. I suggest you do...

Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX
Hi: I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. (I can't change database product) Thanks, Vasanth on 7/12/2004 11:48 AM Vasanth Wrote: > Hi: > I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on > Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to > Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win > platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and > AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I > need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access > is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. > (I can't change database product) > > Thanks, > Vasanth Vasanth, You would need odbc drivers on Solaris/AIX. Googling for odbc unix gives a good hit: http://www.easysoft.com/solutions/accessnw.phtml Its a good place to start your investigations from... -- Shanmu. Vasanth wrote: > Hi: > I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Acce...

Web resources about - Tab Events of Access Application ? (NOT Access Tab Control) - comp.databases.ms-access

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Purchase Apps Up, Refinance Apps Down in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 0.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications drop 3.3%
Higher interest rates pushed mortgage refinancing activity down further, and home buying isn't picking up the slack.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...