text fields to memo field

Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field?

This is an existing database.  Some people in the database may have several
"contact" entries where they have a "note" in a text field.  I would like to
figure a way to combine all the "note" fields for each person into one memo
field.

Thank you

"RR" <texson552000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<S6HRb.969$ee6.74@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field?
>
> This is an existing database.  Some people in the database may have several
> "contact" entries where they have a "note" in a text field.  I would like to
> figure a way to combine all the "note" fields for each person into one memo
> field.
>
> Thank you

Create a memo field in your parent table, and then use fConcatChild
from www.mvps.org to paste them all together into the memo field.
0
pietlinden (2926)

Problem concatenating memo fields in MS access database
I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving non-predictably. The code is: Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting problem? (I just want to append the text of 1 field to another field - am I actually assigning objects this way?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. GH ghadley_00@yahoo.com I have managed this in a report without the $ sign e.g. =[FirstName] & " " & [lastname] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & IIf([job title] Is Not Null,[job title] & Chr(13) & Chr(10),"") It does not use memo fields but I would think they would work OK? James <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1131535433.245165.221450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed > to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving > non-predictably. The code is: > > Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & > Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] > Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEnter...

Moving text from alpha fields to memo/formatted memo field
Hi I have a small app where I have a few alpha fields for text comments. Now I would like to change these fields to one memo or formatted memo field. How? I have tried and managed to move texts in ascii-format with delimiters and separators useing TextStream. I have also managed to import, by importAsciiVar, it back to paradox table but not in memo or f-memo fields, only in alpha field. The problem is that the length of alpha field is only 255 chars and I would need more, not moch but a little. You have some tricks, I'm sure, so would you tell me too. Thanks and greetings ...

MS Qry and text field to date field
I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see it as a date. Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a solution and I have found nothing. Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query please let me know. /Thanks! wwolford wrote: > I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in > Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ > Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) > > > I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see > it as a date. > > Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a > solution and I have found nothing. > > Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query > please let me know. > > /Thanks! > In Access you could use DateSerial. Ex: x ="20070331" ? dateserial(left(x,4),Mid(x,5,2),mid(x,7,2)) ...

MS Access Memo Fields
Hi I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any records. Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, all the field contents or just not work at all The query I am running is: SELECT Emails.* FROM Emails WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; I was also unsure whether the Like function is case sensitive Thanks <philip.spinks@gartmore.com> wrote in message news:1181653682.879684.93670@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a > query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email > but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any > records. > > Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo > fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, > all the field contents or just not work at all > > The query I am running is: > > SELECT Emails.* > FROM Emails > WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or > ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' > ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; > > I was also unsure whether the Lik...

Accessing text form fields name=field[label]

Copy first line of a memo field to a text field

MS Access Memo field question?
Hi I was wondering is it possible to read write to a memo field in ms access, the same way you would read write to a text field? I have my database set up and reading writeing to the databse ok using text field but I have to now store strings which will contain 316 characters e.g 1315259804765771089746208008724780151971640940654061 5945089711350055105440014387233852223755558178959373 5901729523358226196346901333363266720160161567476750 8698500810033377223926558621622404221161922571217657 5908662820038302522362188659394554116014527409368579 573295108852401025657242056374503972313949815709 6436944847683848865450458408521580987232589912971236 713653320010771954202838636539445174893761859498584761 774348548858284051610193336458404802244737321229315795 259346400597219730922809042994571064196264789556436973 256754063980517342616225212190669661339367714653468330 0777901869239185845560584199360795573155 I need to do it beacuse Im encrypting ever thing in the database, Thank if you can help Niall ...

Pasting 1st line of memo field to a text field (revisited)
A little while ago Ron P kindly responded to my inquiry on how to copy the first line of memo field into a text field, using a query: left([MemoField],instr(1,[MemoField],vbCrLf)-1) This is great, but I would like to do this on a form, so that the person entering the memo can use a button to paste the 1st line to a title (text) field. I'm having trouble setting up the code to do this. I'd also appreciate some ideas on how to get the 2nd and 3rd lines copied to other fields. Thanks Alex alexsg@msn.com.au wrote: > A little while ago Ron P kindly responded to my inquiry on how to copy > the first line of memo field into a text field, using a query: > > left([MemoField],instr(1,[MemoField],vbCrLf)-1) > > This is great, but I would like to do this on a form, so that the > person entering the memo can use a button to paste the 1st line to a > title (text) field. I'm having trouble setting up the code to do this. > I'd also appreciate some ideas on how to get the 2nd and 3rd lines > copied to other fields. > > Thanks > > Alex > Here's some code you can modify. This opens up a table called Table3 and reads 2 records in this table that have memos. You can change the count if you like. It attempts to read and display the first 3 lines of the memo before moving on to the next record. If there are only 1 or 2 lines, it displays them then goes on to the next record. It's possible that at the end of ...

access97, sql2005 memo field in a linked table shows as a text field
I've got two tables in sql2005 which have an 'ntext' field when I linked the first table in access97 last week using an odbc data source the access-field type was 'memo' when I link the 2nd table today, it is linked as a text(255) field, ditto for the first table if I link it today if I link the 2nd table using access2003 (and the same odbc data source) it is linked as a memo field I don't think anything was changed on sql2005 or access97 since linkage of the first table produce the correct field type does anyone know what is required to get access97 to link a memo field ? On Aug 21, 12:59 pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > I've got two tables in sql2005 which have an 'ntext' field > when I linked the first table in access97 last week using an odbc data > source the access-field type was 'memo' > > when I link the 2nd table today, it is linked as a text(255) field, > ditto for the first table if I link it today > > if I link the 2nd table using access2003 (and the same odbc data > source) it is linked as a memo field > > I don't think anything was changed on sql2005 or access97 since > linkage of the first table produce the correct field type > > does anyone know what is required to get access97 to link a memo > field ? If I change the sql table field from 'ntext' to 'text' and relink, the access field is now 'memo', but when I display the...

SQL Server View integer field shows as text field in Access
Hi All! I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is defined as a text field in Access. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? Thanks in advance! KB On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:31:43 -0700 (PDT), kevinfbutt <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote: That's quite unusual. Can you post the SQL for that field in that view? What version of Access and SQL Server? Fully patched? Can you replicate the problem with a view in one of the SQL Server sample databases? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi All! > >I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer >field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is >defined as a text field in Access. > >Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >Thanks in advance! > >KB Is the column in the view the result of a calculation? If so, try applying the CAST or CONVERT function to coerce the result back into an integer. "kevinfbutt" <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote in message news:162bd7b3-e29e-4aba-bb57-e92bfd689684@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com... > Hi All! > > I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer > field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is > defined as a text field in Access. > > Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >...

Access treating Memo like a Text field
Hi, I have an web app and I am using access 2002 and VB.net. I am using a data adapter to fill a dataset. I am retrieving product descriptions, some are long and i have used a field of memo datatype to save them in. The problem is sometimes I can only retrieve the first 255 characters in a memo field and other times I can retrieve the full product descriptions which can be over 640 charaters. The problem is consistent, the same fields are always truncated to 255 characters and the others are always displayed in full. Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas on where I can look? Thanks for any help. Sling Blade, Jet's maximum column width for a text column is 255 characters. Jet is the database engine behind Access. So, Access' maximum column with for a text column is 255 characters. There is no easy way around this. "sling blade" <compassSoftware@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9af6038a.0503210147.2b624d63@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I have an web app and I am using access 2002 and VB.net. I am using a > data adapter to fill a dataset. > > I am retrieving product descriptions, some are long and i have used a > field of memo datatype to save them in. > > The problem is sometimes I can only retrieve the first 255 characters > in a memo field and other times I can retrieve the full product > descriptions which can be over 640 charaters. > > The problem is consistent, the same fields are always tr...

multiple conditions in a join, access doesn't like on (table1.field=table2.field and table1.field=table3.field)
Hi I have written the following query and am having problems with the last outer join in ms access... it doesn't like the multiple conditions that I have in there, if I have just one or the other its OK but not both... and I have tried putting the second condition in a where clause but then i don't get an outer join i'm pulling my hair out on this one... i would be extremely greatful for some ideas... SELECT ro.thickness,ro.width,ro.grade,sum(ro.pcs) as pieces, ro.length,GT.thicknessid,t.thicknessid,gt.gradethicknessgroupid, gtd.gradeid, gr.gradeid FROM(((NewOrders as RO LEFT OUTER JOIN Grades as GR on GR.gradename=ro.grade) LEFT OUTER JOIN thicknesses as t on t.imperialdecimal=ro.thickness) LEFT OUTER JOIN GradeThicknessGroups as GT on GT.thicknessid=t.thicknessid) LEFT OUTER JOIN GradeThicknessGroupDetail as GTD on (GTD.GradeThicknessGroupID=GT.GradeThicknessGroupID and gtd.gradeid=gr.gradeid) where gtd.gradeid=gr.gradeid GROUP BY ro.thickness,ro.width,ro.grade, ro.length,t.thicknessid,gr.gradeid,gt.thicknessid, gt.gradethicknessgroupid, gtd.gradeid Order By ro.thickness,ro.width my tables looks like this [NewOrders] ID (PK) Width Thickness Grade Length [Grade] GradeID (PK) GradeName [GradeThicknessGroups] GradeThicknessGroupID (PK) ThicknessID (FK: [Thickness]) [GradeThicknessGroupsDetails] GradeThicknessGroupDetailID (PK) GradeThicknessGroupID GradeID (FK: [Grade]) [Thickness] ThicknessID (PK) ImperialDecimal oops i left the where statement in.. r...

How to link fields in MS word document to Access database
Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an access database? What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in an Access database. I also want to later select the document (from a file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields from the database. Of course if there are then any updates I want to put them back into the database. Workable? Anyone with sample code? Bob Alston On Jun 10, 6:21=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an > access database? Hello Bob, Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information. HBInc. > > What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields > word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be > opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in > an Access database. =A0I also want to later select the document (from a > file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields > from the database. =A0Of course if there are then ...

Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB
Heya! I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I can't get around the problem. I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string. I've tried: Chr(10) & Chr(13) Chr(13) & Chr(10 vbnewline vbcrlf none of which seem to work. I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] = 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'. At the moment, my code looks like this: celsql = celsql _ & "Program: " & encname _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf _ & "Start Time: " & sttim _ & vbCrLf _ & "Participants: " & numpart _ & vbCrLf _ & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _ & vbCrLf _ & "Client: " & clntnm _ & vbCrLf _ & "Contact: " & cntct _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just something about the text field... I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to 2003. I'd really appreciate any advice. Cheers, KG I've seen this type of problem before, but I typically just use a separate text box for each data field. Is there a par...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

how to import text field from MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using ImportXML
Hi Guys, I'm trying to import data out of MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using ImportXML. I don't have any problems doing the import, except for one table with a "text" field defined. I'm getting an error message saying "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.". Thanks, Do you have to use ImportXML? Why can't you use the ODBC driver to MySQL? Linda <nepifanio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137431763.824498.100740@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi Guys, > > I'm trying to import data out of MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using > ImportXML. I don't have any problems doing the import, except for one > table with a "text" field defined. I'm getting an error message saying > "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to > add. Try inserting or pasting less data.". > > Thanks, > MS Access is not allowed to directly access the data from mysql db. The data from mysql db is exported in xml format using a system (with user login/password) and then imported into MS Access. I'm not exactly sure what cosmic events make it work for me, but I do it all the time. I access tables in a MySQL database using MS Access. I make edits and run reports. Linda <nepifanio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137532447.886457.233460@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > MS Acces...

Get the real type of columns from MS Access databases(OLEObject, text, memo, numeric)
Hello, I made one application that opens MS Access databases.And I have one problem.How can I find the real data type of columns(text, memo, OLEObject, numeric) like it is into Access.I tried with resultSetMetaData.getColumnType(columnIndex) but I receive java.sql.Types.I have two columns that contains OLEObjects(images).But I receive two different types for columns : VARCHAR once, and for second column SMALLINT.I only want to see the types like in Access(OLEObjects, Text, Numeric, Memo...).Thanks in advance! Best regards, Calin Pop ...

Linking A Text Field With A Number Field
Is there any way to link a field I'll call StudentId in Table1 with StudentId in Table2? In Table1, StudentId is a number and in Table2 it's a text field. The values match up fine so other than one being a number and the other a text field, everything else would be okay. I know I can create an append query to copy, say, Table2 to e.g. Table3 and make StudentId a number field in Student3 but wondered if there's a more "elegant" solution. Thanks, Sheldon Potolsky On Mar 6, 11:42=A0am, Sheldon <SHPsalm...@aol.com> wrote: > Is there any way to link a field I'll call StudentId in Table1 with > StudentId in Table2? =A0In Table1, StudentId is a number and in Table2 > it's a text field. =A0The values match up fine so other than one being a > number and the other a text field, everything else would be okay. =A0I > know I can create an append query to copy, say, Table2 to e.g. Table3 > and make StudentId a number field in Student3 but wondered if there's > a more "elegant" solution. > > Thanks, > > Sheldon Potolsky You could use Cstr() or Clng() functions - depending on which side you're doing the connection. If you are going from a number to text convert it to Text with a Cstr() or vice versa. Sol. Sheldon wrote: > Is there any way to link a field I'll call StudentId in Table1 with > StudentId in Table2? In Table1, StudentId is a number and in Table2 > it's a text field. ...

How to convert Number Field to Text Field
I'm newbie in Filemaker, currently I'm using Filemaker pro v 6.01 on Windows XP. I have a small problem. I'm trying to make a solution for Hotel Rate. I want to change the USD. 0.00 to "Included" for breakfast rate which already included in the room rate. Anybody can help, will be much appreciated. Thanks. "Adhie" <priyadi77@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ba1b5c27.0404080446.21e110b2@posting.google.com... > I'm newbie in Filemaker, currently I'm using Filemaker pro v 6.01 on > Windows XP. I have a small problem. I'm trying to make a ...

Changing Text Field to ported field
I did a search, and maybe I'm looking things up using the wrong criteria. I apologize if this has been discussed before, and if it has, please let me know where to find it. Thanks. FMPro V6.04 Windows XP Our users are currently entering in all SW code associated with a problem into a text field, using paragraph returns or comma's as delimiters. To make metric gathering more useful, I created a child database to collect the SW mods individually (with all the details that go with them), and have created portal on my main database to this child database so that they can enter in the ...

"Record Deleted" error when appending to a memo field from a memo field
I found what is causing the error by removing various fields from the Append Query. I also get the error when doing an INSERT INTO. I do not get the error if I do not list the memo field in the Insert or have it in the Append Query. This is not happening with the same field in another query (but I need to check that again). Any ideas why I am getting the "Record Deleted" error? No records end up getting written to the destination table. I know it used to work. -paulw On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 1:46:58 PM UTC-4, PW wrote: > I found what is causing the error by removing various fields from the > Append Query. I also get the error when doing an INSERT INTO. > > I do not get the error if I do not list the memo field in the Insert > or have it in the Append Query. > > This is not happening with the same field in another query (but I need > to check that again). > > Any ideas why I am getting the "Record Deleted" error? No records end > up getting written to the destination table. > > I know it used to work. > > -paulw Are you sure the fields in both tables are the same? What happens if you update record by record? Dim r as recordset Dim r1 as recordset set r = currentdb.openrecordset("Table1",dbopensnapshot) set r1 = currentdb.openrecordset("Table1",dbopenDynaset) R.movefirst Do while not r.eof r1.addnew r1!Field1 = r!Field1 ...

Changing drop-down field to text field.
I am working on creating an editable grid (for use in adding, deleting, and editing rows back to an Oracle database). I have a JSP that posts back to a servlet, which in turns posts to a WebLogic SFSB and, from there, to the database. On the front end, all cells appear as text fields. However, for certain cells, when the user clicks on the cell, the text field turns into a drop-down field (i.e. Select object), defaulting to the value in the text field (unless the field is blank, in which case the drop-down defaults to the first entry in the drop-down). Once the user has selected a new en...

Attaching to MySQL tables from MS Access
Is an apostrophe a character of special significance to MySQL in a way that would cause "Bob's dog" to become translated into a 12-character string when typed into a MySQL memo field? If I type Bob's dog into an Access memo field, I get a string that is 9-characters long. When I read "Bob's dog" from a memo field in a MySQL table attacted to MS Access via MyODBC driver, it displays as "Bob&#39s dog" - a twelve character string. the &#39 looks like a HEX character code value designator. Can someone provide me with a logical explanation of why I might be seeing apostrophes this way from an MS Access database having such tables attached? ...

Copying text portion of a field to a seperate field
Hello and thanks, I have about 200,000 records in an Access 2002 table with a "Disc Code" field that contains data like the following: Disc Code AC2004 VAX1586 TDQV12 I would like to copy the text portion of this field to a separate field leaving the original intact for the following result: Disc Code Manufacturer Code AC2004 AC VAX1586 VAX TDQV12 TDQV Can this be done with an Update Query and some fancy use of wildcards or is a macro and some functions (neither of which I am not very familiar with) necessary? Steve ...

Web resources about - text fields to memo field - comp.databases.ms-access

Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Field (computer science) , a smaller piece of data from a larger collection (e.g., database fields) Text is available under the Creative Commons ...

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans.

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans.

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans.

Fox News Looks Forward to Having Michelle Fields Back, Just Not This Week
Michelle Fields has appeared on the Fox News weekend show Cashin’ In for the last couple of years, joining a panel of 3 other guests, moderated ...

Sally Field nailed the failure of the Spider-Man reboot movies in one brutal sentence
... of late as the superhero recently had a surprise appearance in the latest "Captain America: Civil War" trailer . But thanks to Sally Field's ...

St. Viator track and field will rely on depth
St. Viator track and field will rely on depth Chicago Tribune Senior Jacob Bonanotte is one of the area's top 800-meter runners, while seniors ...

Image of Asia: Walking through fields of gold in Kashmir
In this photo by Mukhtar Khan, a Kashmiri man walks through a mustard field during a rainy day on the outskirts of Srinagar in Indian-controlled ...

Aleksandar Mitrovic Celebrates With Idiot On The Field After Scoring A Late Equalizer
Newcastle tied up Sunderland late to secure a 1-1 draw. Aleksandar Mitrovic scored the equalizer, and was understandably pumped since it came ...

EXCLUSIVE: Sally Field's Advice on Carving Out a Lasting Career in Hollywood: 'Buckle Up!'
Sally Field has delivered so many timeless performances that she makes it look easy, but she assured ET it's a lot harder than it looks.