To View or not to View, that is the question...

In my old MDB databases, I constructed a lot of "subQueries" to filter
out records, then based a new query on the subQuery. This results in
huge speed increases on large datasets.
However...
In Accesss2000 ADP Project with SQL Server backend:
Is there any benefit to creating Views, then basing a Stored Procedure
on that View, rather than on the tables/table joins themselves?
Since I can't pass parameters to a View, all I can really do with them
is to create simple "=" type criteria.
In reading, I've noticed people mention that views are not cached on
SQL Server so that it may actually hinder performance???

Also, in constructing the WHERE clause of a Stored Procedure, is there
any difference in performance depending on the order in which the AND
strings are created?

Example:
I have a large recordset of employees tblEmployees with fields:
     fldIdiot (bit), fldFirstName nvarchar(100), fldLastName
nvarchar(100)

There are 5 idiots, 250 Bobs in 10,000 records

SELECT fldLastName FROM tblEmployees...

Does WHERE clause:
     WHERE (fldIdiot = 1) AND (fldFirstName LIKE '%' + @parFirstName +
'%')
return faster results than:
     WHERE (fldFirstName LIKE '%' + @parFirstName + '%') AND (fldIdiot
= 1)

thanks,
lq

lq

Lauren Quantrell wrote:
> In my old MDB databases, I constructed a lot of "subQueries" to filter
> out records, then based a new query on the subQuery. This results in
> huge speed increases on large datasets.
> However...
> In Accesss2000 ADP Project with SQL Server backend:
> Is there any benefit to creating Views, then basing a Stored Procedure
> on that View, rather than on the tables/table joins themselves?
> Since I can't pass parameters to a View, all I can really do with them
> is to create simple "=" type criteria.
> In reading, I've noticed people mention that views are not cached on
> SQL Server so that it may actually hinder performance???
>
> Also, in constructing the WHERE clause of a Stored Procedure, is there
> any difference in performance depending on the order in which the AND
> strings are created?
>
> Example:
> I have a large recordset of employees tblEmployees with fields:
>      fldIdiot (bit), fldFirstName nvarchar(100), fldLastName
> nvarchar(100)
>
> There are 5 idiots, 250 Bobs in 10,000 records
>
> SELECT fldLastName FROM tblEmployees...
>
> Does WHERE clause:
>      WHERE (fldIdiot = 1) AND (fldFirstName LIKE '%' + @parFirstName +
> '%')
> return faster results than:
>      WHERE (fldFirstName LIKE '%' + @parFirstName + '%') AND (fldIdiot
> = 1)
>
> thanks,
> lq
>

> lq

0
me2968 (1474)
11/21/2003 1:00:56 AM
Thank you for the tip on the tabular subquery.

Will this:

   CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MySP @dteLastSale  DATETIME
   AS SELECT *
   FROM (SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE LastSale = @dteLastSale)
   WHERE (LastName = 'smith')
   ORDER BY FirstName
   GO

execute faster than that?:

  CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MySP @dteLastSale  DATETIME
   AS SELECT *
   FROM myTable
   WHERE (LastSale = @dteLastSale) AND (LastName = 'smith')
   ORDER BY FirstName
   GO

 ??? lq

MGFoster <me@privacy.com> wrote in message news:<ctdvb.8752$n56.5306@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> Lauren Quantrell wrote:
> > In my old MDB databases, I constructed a lot of "subQueries" to filter
> > out records, then based a new query on the subQuery. This results in
> > huge speed increases on large datasets.
> > However...
> > In Accesss2000 ADP Project with SQL Server backend:
> > Is there any benefit to creating Views, then basing a Stored Procedure
> > on that View, rather than on the tables/table joins themselves?
> > Since I can't pass parameters to a View, all I can really do with them
> > is to create simple "=" type criteria.
> > In reading, I've noticed people mention that views are not cached on
> > SQL Server so that it may actually hinder performance???
> >
> > Also, in constructing the WHERE clause of a Stored Procedure, is there
> > any difference in performance depending on the order in which the AND
> > strings are created?
> >
> > Example:
> > I have a large recordset of employees tblEmployees with fields:
> >      fldIdiot (bit), fldFirstName nvarchar(100), fldLastName
> > nvarchar(100)
> >
> > There are 5 idiots, 250 Bobs in 10,000 records
> >
> > SELECT fldLastName FROM tblEmployees...
> >
> > Does WHERE clause:
> >      WHERE (fldIdiot = 1) AND (fldFirstName LIKE '%' + @parFirstName +
> > '%')
> > return faster results than:
> >      WHERE (fldFirstName LIKE '%' + @parFirstName + '%') AND (fldIdiot
> > = 1)
> >
> > thanks,
> > lq
> >

> > lq
Sorry, another question(Views option):

Will this:

   CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MySP @dteLastSale  DATETIME
   AS SELECT *
   FROM (SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE LastSale = @dteLastSale)
   WHERE (LastName = 'smith')
   ORDER BY FirstName
   GO

execute faster than this:

  CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MySP @dteLastSale  DATETIME
   AS SELECT *
   FROM myTable
   WHERE (LastSale = @dteLastSale) AND (LastName = 'smith')
   ORDER BY FirstName
   GO

or what about this:

  CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MySP @dteLastSale  DATETIME
   AS SELECT *
   FROM myVIEWname
   WHERE (LastSale = @dteLastSale)
   ORDER BY FirstName
   GO

(myVIEWname is a View with the following SQL:
SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE LastName = 'Smith')

Lauren Quantrell wrote:

> Sorry, another question(Views option):
>
> Will this:
>
>    CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MySP @dteLastSale  DATETIME
>    AS SELECT *
>    FROM (SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE LastSale = @dteLastSale)
>    WHERE (LastName = 'smith')
>    ORDER BY FirstName
>    GO
>
> execute faster than this:
>
>   CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MySP @dteLastSale  DATETIME
>    AS SELECT *
>    FROM myTable
>    WHERE (LastSale = @dteLastSale) AND (LastName = 'smith')
>    ORDER BY FirstName
>    GO
>
> or what about this:
>
>   CREATE PROCEDURE usp_MySP @dteLastSale  DATETIME
>    AS SELECT *
>    FROM myVIEWname
>    WHERE (LastSale = @dteLastSale)
>    ORDER BY FirstName
>    GO
>
> (myVIEWname is a View with the following SQL:
> SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE LastName = 'Smith')
>

>  ??? lq

< snip >

0
me2968 (1474)

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

Are embedded views (Views within views...) evil and if so why?
Fellow database developers, I would like to draw on your experience with views. I have a database that includes many views. Sometimes, views contains other views, and those views in turn may contain views. In fact, I have some views in my database that are a product of nested views of up to 6 levels deep! The reason we did this was. 1. Object-oriented in nature. Makes it easy to work with them. 2. Changing an underlying view (adding new fields, removing etc), automatically the higher up views inherit this new information. This make maintenance very easy. 3. These nested views are only ...

access xp runtime -- view tables in design view?
If a runtime installation of Access is created and installed on a client machine that has a full verion of access, will it still be possible to view the tables and queries in design view but not the forms? Thank you very much, Sue Access and the Access Runtime are each executable files that can open Acces databases. Installing the Access Runtime on a machine does nothing more than put the MS Access runtime on the machine. If the full Access was there before, it is still there afterward and functions as it always did. If you distribute your Access application with the Access Runtime, that doesn't have any affect on what happens if the user opens the database using full Access instead. If you want to actually protect your Access project, you must use Access security or create an MDE. An MDE will work much as you describe. The designs of forms, reports, and code are not available, but the designs of tables and queries are. You can lock those down as well by using Access security if you need to. On 28 Oct 2004 22:43:15 -0700, sea_099@hotmail.com (sea) wrote: >If a runtime installation of Access is created and installed on a >client machine that has a full verion of access, will it still be >possible to view the tables and queries in design view but not the >forms? Thank you very much, Sue "sea" <sea_099@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f8c6e337.0410282143.fc0f451@posting.google.com... > If a runtime installation of Access is crea...

Can I have a view of views?
I have a single form which has six pairs of fields on it. Each pair lists a pharmacy and whether or not it has been contacted. It's easy to make a view where the pairs are columns. Patient Pharm 1 Pharm 1 Contacted Pharm 2 Pharm 2 Contacted...etc Jane D CVS Yes Walgreens No Can I make a view, a la a relational database, where there is but a single pair of columns and multiple entries are listed by the pair? Concatenating the fields within a single form with ";" is not quite what I want. Can I create individual ...

View to view SQL
I'm not very good with SQL and would appreciate some advice. I have a view in 8.1.7.4 that retrieves nearly a hundred fields from five different tables. It's long but simple and straightforward, and has been working quite well for some time. I've just been told that I now need to also retrieve some SUMs and COUNTs from fields in another table. Rather than modifying this view with 100 Group BYs, I wonder if it is feasible to create another view that gets the SUMs and COUNTs and then add that view's output fields to this view's? Is that a smart way to approach this problem? Is there a better? Thanks in advance, Randy Harris just covered this with a colleage... select ename , job , hiredate , emp.deptno , sal , ttl_sals from emp , ( select deptno, sum(sal) as ttl_sals from emp group by deptno ) empsals where emp.deptno = empsals.deptno -- Mark C. Stock email mcstock -> enquery(dot)com www.enquery.com (888) 512-2048 "Randy Harris" <randy@SpamFree.com> wrote in message news:9nzob.6741$P%1.5602532@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com... > I'm not very good with SQL and would appreciate some advice. > > I have a view in 8.1.7.4 that retrieves nearly a hundred fields from five > different tables. It's long but simple and straightforward, and has been > working quite well for some time. I've just be...

Details View in Database Window is blank but is fine in other views. This is different than before.
Have a weird problem. When I open my application within access I sometimes have to reset the column widiths in the details view because they reset to zero. When I open the application from access is fine and the columns stay visable. When I open the application from windows explorer and access is opened by file type relation, the columns are reset to zero and I'm unable to reset the columns and there is a grey box in the area where the columns use to be. I have to shut the app down and open it again from within access in order to reset the columns. Any idea what is wrong and how to correct? Thanks for your time. Mine doesn't show up in Detail view at all, but all other views are fine. Any help greatly appreciated. Rob Lepper "Firmlybassed" <jambojay62@charter.net> wrote in message news:1168905123.844864.303870@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Have a weird problem. When I open my application within access I > sometimes have to reset the column widiths in the details view because > they reset to zero. When I open the application from access is fine and > the columns stay visable. When I open the application from windows > explorer and access is opened by file type relation, the columns are > reset to zero and I'm unable to reset the columns and there is a grey > box in the area where the columns use to be. I have to shut the app > down and open it again from within access in order to reset the > columns. Any idea w...

ask me a question ms access databases
I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order request is received. The web site is at www.jaxdatasolutions.com. This is for a limited time only. ivanmendoza@comcast.net (Ivan) wrote: >I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order >request is received. The web site is at <snipped> This >is for a limited time only. Umm, hows about we ask questions in this newsgroup? Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messages. Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm "Tony Toews" wrote > > I will be willing to help, with access > > databases, in same order request is > > received. The web site is at <snipped> > > This is for a limited time only. > > Umm, hows about we ask questions > in this newsgroup? Would one of the first ones be "Why ask questions just of a particular, unknown person of unknown ability instead of asking them publicly where they will be seen by many persons of proven ability?" <G> "Ivan" <ivanmendoza@comcast.net> wrote in message news:2be4a61d.0408010952.5f1d1438@posting.google.com... > I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order > request is received. The web site is at www.jaxdatasolutions.com. This > is for a limited time only. Good idea. ...

Views to manage application access to the database
On 2008-03-02 13:28:28 -0600, frebe <freb...@gmail.com> said: > On 2 Mar, 20:01, Robert Martin <uncle...@objectmentor.com> wrote: [snip] >> e.g. Employee.find_all_eligible_for_retirement() is a lot better than a >> long and complex SQL statement. > create view eligible_for_retirement, is even better. But you contine > to ignore views.... Looks promising but... The problem with this is that it makes the database dependent on the application (mind you - not the other way around). Now any change in the data needs of the application requires updating the view definition. Not to mention deploying other applications that require different "eligible_for_retirement" definition. DBA's nightmare... Michal On 7 Mar, 15:00, Michal Kleczek <klek...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 2008-03-02 13:28:28 -0600, frebe <freb...@gmail.com> said: > > > On 2 Mar, 20:01, Robert Martin <uncle...@objectmentor.com> wrote: > > [snip] > > >> e.g. Employee.find_all_eligible_for_retirement() is a lot better than a > >> long and complex SQL statement. > > create view eligible_for_retirement, is even better. But you contine > > to ignore views.... > > Looks promising but... > The problem with this is that it makes the database dependent on the > application (mind you - not the other way around). The database depends on the business rules, as well as the application. Is that a pro...

table or view? -- import from MS Access
I will import data from MS Access to SAS. I use the code below to get the content of the database. libname mylib Access "\\path\mydata.mdb"; proc contents data=mylib._all_ noprint out=contents;run; I know there are at least two types of components in the mdb file. One is regular table, anoher is view or query. My question is how I can distinguish them in SAS ? In the output above, MEMNAME gives all the names of the components; TYPEMEM are all empty; MEMTYPE has a single value 'DATA' Thanks a lot for reply. proc sql ; create table AHA as select memname, dbms_memtype ...

newbie question about views in Access 2007
I have done some programming in 2003, and I have to now maike some additions. The Agency has upgraded to 2007. I am having a bit of trouble with the user interface. In previous versions of Access, there was a "database window" which allowed me to navigate quickly between tables, queries etc, in both design or normal views etc. I found this in 2007 as some kind of sidebar, but then I FORGOT how to summon that device whenever I want it. Please help! TIA. Gwindor wrote: > I have done some programming in 2003, and I have to now maike some > additions. The Agency has upgraded to 2007. > > I am having a bit of trouble with the user interface. In previous > versions of Access, there was a "database window" which allowed me to > navigate quickly between tables, queries etc, in both design or normal > views etc. I found this in 2007 as some kind of sidebar, but then I > FORGOT how to summon that device whenever I want it. Please help! > > TIA. F11 function key. -- '-------------------------- ' John Mishefske ' UtterAccess Editor ' Microsoft MVP 2007, 2008 '-------------------------- ...

access a database and a view using an address
Hi, We are using R6 for a while now and are just wondering : Can you actually open a local or server-based database using a 'url' starting with notes:// I once read this somewhere but I can't get it to work in R6. I would like to open my local .nsf mail database and view my todo's with the 'grouped by categories' view.It looks to me that you have to use notes:///database ID/view alias (something I remember from R5) but it doesn't seem to work. I typed in in the address bar. Anyone who knows this? Many thanks, Jo. ...

Why is sorting in the database view bad? (Form Properties > Datasheet View)
Why would one not want to sort records in a form using Form Properties > Datasheet View > Sort Ascending? It's the fastest way, isn't it? <sierrachang@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130340930.933763.38030@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Why would one not want to sort records in a form using Form Properties >> Datasheet View > Sort Ascending? > > It's the fastest way, isn't it? No, the fastest way would be to sort in the Query or SQL you use as Record Source for the Form, I suspect. I don't give the users "datasheet view" in the database applications I prepare, because there are so many things that a user can (inadvertently) do that will cause trouble. Generally, datasheet view is useful for end-users, not for developed application and the "Windows Way" is to let the user have control of their own desktop unless there is compelling reason to not do so. I can't think of a compelling reason not to allow this, if it is what the user wants to do. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP It converts the underlying query to DISTINCT, so you may have a different number of records after sorting. (david) <sierrachang@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130340930.933763.38030@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Why would one not want to sort records in a form using Form Properties >> Datasheet View > Sort Ascending? > > It's the ...

MS-ACCESS Relationships = SQL Views, right ?
I've used MS-ACCESS quite a bit in the past and I find the RELATIONSHIPS functionality really usefule...now I've grown up a bit and am getting to grips with SQL. Newbie question....MS-ACCESS Relationships are the same (kinda) thing as SQL Views, right ? TIA Nick NA news wrote: > I've used MS-ACCESS quite a bit in the past and I find the RELATIONSHIPS > functionality really usefule...now I've grown up a bit and am getting to > grips with SQL. > > Newbie question....MS-ACCESS Relationships are the same (kinda) thing as SQL > Views, right ? > >...

paltalk MS ACCESS, general database questions
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable www.Paltalk.com: Welcome to the ms access database programmer Group = unsha ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <DIV> <P><FONT face=3DArial>www.<A = href=3D"http://Paltalk.com">Paltalk.com</A>: Welcome to=20 the ms access database programmer Group = unsha</FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70-- ...

help MS ACCESS\SAS, general database questions
Hi to all, I need some help deciding on the best database system for our specific application. OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include data from the last 30 years. The other 30 files are created by year and are about 1000 records and 10 columns. There are only 2 or 3 people keying in data, never at the same time. We also have a sonic digitizer (measures distance between age rings on fish scales) from which data is fed into the dBase form. I think the data transfer program is written in C and the dBase form is written in Clipper. We currently have MS Access and SAS. My suggestion was to design the same type of user entry forms in MS Access and place the files on a shared drive on our network server (already in place and routinely backed up). If the amount of data or number of users increased we could consider going to a database server with Access as the "front end." Most of the analysis is performed in SAS which can readily import Access tables. I was met with some opposition: SAS/ACCESSS/SERVER QUESTIONS: There was a strong objection to using ODBC to get data into SAS (when discussing database servers). Does SAS Import wizard use ODBC? Are there inherent problems with ODBC? Is there any advantage to having data analyze...

MS Access linked to SQL Create View Problem
I have an MS Access ADP project linked to a SQL Server database. When a particular user tries to create a view she gets an error saying 'ADO error 'create view' does not allow specifying the database name as a prefix to the object name' Username = Jenny.Taggart I ran a profiler trace to see what the error was. The SQL that is called CREATE VIEW Jenny.Taggart.JENNYTEST AS SELECT * From dbo.Accident Correct syntax would be CREATE VIEW [Jenny.Taggart].JENNYTEST AS SELECT * From dbo.Accident Is there anyway to force access to put the square brackets around the username? Thanks Dermot French ...

communicate lab view with MS access data base
I need to read and write dates in MS access through LabView. I have any vi's about communication labview X access, but when I run the Vi the follow error show: &nbsp; DDE Open: DMLERR_NO_CONV_ESTABLISHED &nbsp; What mean this ? How can I solution this problem ? &nbsp; Thanks! Thanks Dennis for your answer! &nbsp; &nbsp; haven�t&nbsp;many time that I know labview and I know this technology (DDE) just. I&nbsp;also know Database Connectivity Toolkit, but my project have a limitation of&nbsp;cost. &nbsp; I�ll&nbsp;try some technology that you mention. &nbsp; thanks again. andre,&nbsp;I absolute agree with you, and&nbsp;I will love if my boss think in this manner,&nbsp;but who give de roles here is him. I know and my boss know, that time is money, but have more, the client&nbsp;give us a&nbsp;sum of money for us spend in the project, we can�t spend more this, more this result in less profit. This call CAPITALISM!! you know!!! but return for the question, I have one month to develop anything about communication labview/database, I know that this exist, but I don't know how this work yet. If you perceive about the subject and can help me, would&nbsp;be much appreciated. ...

Re: Help with views plz, letting internal users view external view.
> Piero Giobbi wrote: > Hi all. > I'm currently stuck with one problem. I have two views basically: > > Internal view (private) > > External view (public) > > Internal is only for internal users with the internal domains. > External view contains all our public domains etc. The server is on > our lan with a private address and the firewall has an public alias > ip > that redirects all dns quiries to this dns-server (and external view > only). I have several domain in both views. > > > Now i want to add a new public domain in the external view, works > great: > > external view { > > exampledomain.com ... > > } > > How do i let the internal users view this one? Must i set up a exact > same fake domain in internal view? I figure the must be a way to > "forward" internal-view-users to externa-view but i can't figure out > how.. > > (Today i have solved this with setting up the same domain in the > internal as a "fake" domain, works as long as nothing changes on the > "outside" but its a pretty timeconsuming way and not always > failsafe.) > > Greatful for all help or hints. Maybe I do not understand the problem. It seems to me that if you want a zone to be in both internal and external views, place the zone definition in both views. In my BIND config, I have a file that I include...

Error on Materialized view : subquery or named view in FROM list even after view merging
Hello, i'm trying to create a mview with FAST refresh, ON COMMIT and a query with UNION ALL. I succeed in creating some mview of this type, so i assume mview logs creation is ok. So i tried another another query, it didn't work and DBMS_VIEW_EXPLAIN_MVIEW give me the following tips : REFRESH_FAST_AFTER_INSERT F subquery or named view in FROM list even after view merging The concerned query is : SELECT d.ID_PROP as ID_LINE, 'RT' as TYPE, a.TYPE_SS_CAT as CAT, COUNT(*) as TOTAL, COUNT(a.TYPE_SS_CAT) as VALEUR, 'attn' as TYPE_COUNT, d.MARCHE_ID, 1 as umarker FROM ATTN a inner join DBMV d on a.REF_INT_DBMV = d.ID WHERE d.ID_PROP IS NOT NULL AND a.INDICATOR = 1 AND a.TYPE_PROP = 'RT' AND d.MARCHE_ID = 1 group by a.TYPE_SS_CAT, d.MARCHE_ID, d.ID_PROP union all SELECT d.ID_FG_LINE as ID_LINE, 'FG' as TYPE, a.TYPE_SS_CAT as CAT, COUNT(*) as TOTAL, COUNT(a.TYPE_SS_CAT) as VALEUR, 'attn' as TYPE_COUNT, d.MARCHE_ID, 2 as umarker FROM ATTN a inner join DBMV d on a.REF_INT_DBMV = d.ID WHERE d.ID_FG_LINE IS NOT NULL AND a.INDICATOR= 1 AND a.TYPE_PROP = 'FG' AND d.MARCHE_ID = 1 group by a.TYPE_SS_CAT, d.MARCHE_ID, d.ID_FG_LINE As english isn't my mothertongue, i don't fully understand the error message and what it is the problem. Oracle version is 9.2. does anyone see the problem ? regards, -- Victor Victor K. wrote: > Hello, > i'm trying to create a mview w...

DMSII VIEW and LINC VIEW
Hi there Can someone tell me where i can dowload these products? DMSII.View and LINC.View I worked on the SQL*Star for A Series product. This talks SQL*Connect and SQL*Net to native A Series databases. If you are using Oracle on your PCs, then this is a good candidate to fulfil your requirement. There is a small catch though. SQL*Star only talks to SQL databases (SQLDB on A Series). LINC and DMSII databases are not SQL databases. But this is very easily overcome by two products .. These generate the tables and files required by SQLDB to work against these databases. In some cases though, you will have constructs in DMSII and LINC that do not naturally map only SQL. DMS.View and LINC.View give you all sorts of options of how to map such constructs in SQL. Thanks Regards Andy DMS.View and LINC.View are terminated products replaced by ODBC Data Access (a.k.a INFOAccess). While you can still download the last RPR 6.0 IC from http://support.unisys.com/support.htm the product will not run on new versions of Windows or ClearPath MCP. If you really want to continue with ODBC access to DMSII (MCP) or DMS (OS2200) databases then you need to use ODBC Data Access (also available on support.unisys.com) and included with the ClearPath MCP and OS2200 software releases. If you want to use new technology products then you should consider OLE DB and XML Provider products which are also included in the software release package. <sanand6@ford.com> wrote in message news:f98c27cf.0...

Why insert into a view update a view?
Pardon my ignorance, but I wonder if you could answer a question. Why would you ever need to insert into a view? Also, suppose the view has a restrictive where clause, if the inserted row doesn't match the where clause, would the insert fail? What if the view is a multi table join? What about updates to a view? Thanks in anticipation :) "Strangiato" <nochance@youmustbejoking.com> wrote in message news:c0tg0l$1bquof$1@ID-222597.news.uni-berlin.de... > Pardon my ignorance, but I wonder if you could answer a question. > > Why would you ever n...

question about views
I have setup an internal and external views to my DNS server. Is it further possible to have the internal view forward queries for which it doesn't know the answer to the external view's zone? My current config looks like this: view "internal" { match-clients { 10.16.0.8.128/27; }; zone "foo.org" { type master; file "/etc/bind/internal.foo.org"; }; }; view "external" { match-clients { any; }; zone "foo.org" { type master; file "/etc/bind/foo.org"; notify yes; allow-transfer { 10.9.10.11; # fitzsimmon.foo.org }; }; }; Basically, any request for which "/etc/bind/internal.foo.org" doesn't have a record, I'd like to have the name server look in "/etc/bind/foo.org". or do I have to duplicate records that are external to both views between zonefiles? Thanks in advance. --Gabe ...

A question about views
Hi, I have "created" a little view (the code is below) to show a boolean as a little colored disk. The disk is green (== onColor) when the boolean is true and gray (== offColor) otherwise. What must I do, if it's possible, to change the onColor and the OffColor in the View Composer when I add my little view to a "parent" view ? Thanks, Joseph ------- 8> ------- 8> ------- "Filed out from Dolphin Smalltalk X6"! View subclass: #LedView instanceVariableNames: 'onColor offColor' classVariableNames: '' poolDicti...

Web resources about - To View or not to View, that is the question... - comp.databases.ms-access

Thirteen tough questions every couple should ask for a successful marriage
These intimate and sometimes awkward questions give couples a chance to spill secrets before it's too late.

Arnold Schwarzenegger terminates Weekend Sunrise interview after questions on US presidential campaign ...
He's famous for saying he'll be back, but Arnold Schwarzenegger may think twice about appearing on Weekend Sunrise again.

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question teen
A South Carolina police officer was shot and killed Friday as he and a partner were trying to question a self-professed gang member who they ...

‘If I Stay Here, You’ll Make 500 Questions. I Said I Was Going To Answer One.’
Cuban Pres. Raul Castro is not used to taking questions from the press. But he agreed to today. It didn’t go well. In a joint news conference ...

"It’s a question every candidate for state Supreme Court is asked: Which U.S. Supreme Court justices ...
Writes the left/liberal Bill Lueders at the end of his Isthmus piece "Battle for the [Wisconsin Supreme] court/Bradley v. Kloppenburg is a classic ...

There's a huge unanswered question in the collapse of Powa Technologies — where did the money go?
It has been a month since London payment company Powa Technologies collapsed into administration and, as the dust settles, we've got some idea ...

S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen
S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen

14 great responses when a job interviewer asks, 'Any questions for me?'
So you managed to get through a phone screen, ten resume revisions, and a lot of anxious moments when you were convinced they were ignoring you. ...

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question man
New York Daily News South Carolina police officer killed trying to question man Charlotte Observer Police officers work the scene of an officer-involved ...