Trouble updating database with subforms (SQL SERVER 2000 backend and Access 2002 Front End)

Hi all

I have a main form looking at a main table, with a subform  looking at a
detail table, linked by a key. There are many entries in the sub form bound
to the single entry on the main form.

In the subform I have 3 fields bound to the relevant bits of their table
i.e. A,B and C. I use the after update events on A and B to multiply A*B and
put the answer into C, which obviously writes to the dable and displays in
the subform. Simple enough and works fine.

at the end of the routine that writes C in to the box, I call a subroutine
on the main form using....

Call Forms.frm_call_outs_view.calculate_callout_grand_total

this runs a routine on the main form that uses ADO to connect to the
subforms table (using the same key as the form subform) and sum all the 'c'
boxes i.e. generating the total for all the values of C belonging to the
particular main detail

This works fine other than the ADO always seems to be 1 step behind. Its as
though the ADO is running and executing BEFORE box 'c' has been written to
the database.

Basically if I change a value in box A or B, and leave the box, C is updated
and the grand total routine executes, but if I watch it, the ADO brings back
the last value of 'C', not the newly calculated one. Its as though it hasnt
had time to write the new value of C to the database

So I guess what I am asking is how can I tell that box c within the subform
has been written to the table before executing the ADO code on the main
form? I have tried doevents before calling the grandtotal routine

any help would be most welcome

thanks in advance

Andy

0
aaj

I should have though about it a bit more before posting

me.recalc on the sub form seems to have done the trick

thanks anyway

Andy

"aaj" <a.b@c.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have a main form looking at a main table, with a subform  looking at a
> detail table, linked by a key. There are many entries in the sub form
bound
> to the single entry on the main form.
>
> In the subform I have 3 fields bound to the relevant bits of their table
> i.e. A,B and C. I use the after update events on A and B to multiply A*B
and
> put the answer into C, which obviously writes to the dable and displays in
> the subform. Simple enough and works fine.
>
> at the end of the routine that writes C in to the box, I call a subroutine
> on the main form using....
>
> Call Forms.frm_call_outs_view.calculate_callout_grand_total
>
> this runs a routine on the main form that uses ADO to connect to the
> subforms table (using the same key as the form subform) and sum all the
'c'
> boxes i.e. generating the total for all the values of C belonging to the
> particular main detail
>
> This works fine other than the ADO always seems to be 1 step behind. Its
as
> though the ADO is running and executing BEFORE box 'c' has been written to
> the database.
>
> Basically if I change a value in box A or B, and leave the box, C is
updated
> and the grand total routine executes, but if I watch it, the ADO brings
back
> the last value of 'C', not the newly calculated one. Its as though it
hasnt
> had time to write the new value of C to the database
>
> So I guess what I am asking is how can I tell that box c within the
subform
> has been written to the table before executing the ADO code on the main
> form? I have tried doevents before calling the grandtotal routine
>
> any help would be most welcome
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Andy

0
aaj

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Updating SQL Server Database from Access
I'm taking over an SQL Server database which is often updated with data from an Access database. Knowing little about either, this simple task has become a challenge. I'm told that the previous person used to type some simple SQL commands and this would update the SQL server database but the commands have been lost and the previous person is unavailable. The Access database has exactly the same column names as the SQL-server database and it is something simple like: Control ID Phone Name Address1 Address2 Does anyone know the SQL commands to do this kind of SQL server database upd...

MS Access as front-end for Paradox database?
I've got an old DOS Paradox database that I can't get rid of. We have way to many scripts and forms to convert everything at once. Instead we would like to be able to access the Paradox data from MS Access, so that we can create a few select forms using Access. I've been trying for a while to get MS Access to work correctly with a linked Paradox table. It works fine for reading, but when I attempt to edit records in Access, especially if another user is working with the same table in Paradox at the same time, I end up with data corruption. I've read all of the articles and tried all of the fixes, including getting the latest versions of the BDE and all of the MS Access and MDAC updates, but no luck. Has anyone done something like this, or faced a similar problem? I also looked at the newer version of Paradox, which works fine side-by-side with the old version, but it is not anywhere as nice as Access (I actually prefer the old DOS version over the new Windows version of Paradox). Would adding a SQL server as a middle-man between Paradox and MS Access help? Can a SQL server serve Paradox tables without the corruption issues I'm having with MS Access? I know the BDE is able to work with my Paradox data, without causing data corruption, because I can write a program using BDE components (VCL, Delphi, C++) that work with the data. However, I'd rather use a database program like MS Access, which already has all of the nice query building and repor...

Database back end
Hi. I am writing a web app for a small company with 50 employees for their payroll and sales. Should I use SQL Server or Access as the database? Kevin ...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

Trouble when submitting sql-query to MS Access Database
Hi, I have some problems when trying to submit a simple insertion statement to a MS Access Database. The reading is fine, but when I want to execute an insertion statement using the following code: public void SQLCommand(String sql) throws SQLException { connection = DriverManager.getConnection(database); Statement stmt = connection.createStatement(); stmt.executeUpdate(sql); connection.close(); } gives the following error: java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too few parameters. Expected 1. at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLExecDirect(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcStatement.execute(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source) at org.strumpflohner.CodeNotebook.Data.DBManager.SQLCommand(DBManager.java:45) at org.strumpflohner.CodeNotebook.Data.TestClass.main(TestClass.java:15) Could someone help me? kito Suggestion 1: The error is caused because you're referring to a table that does not exist. Try to run the query in a seperate query editor and verify that it does work. Also check that the string you pass as argument is correct, e.g. not concatenation that has destroyed the intended string. Suggestion 2: You probably need to add quotes in the executeQuery. Whenever you pass a string to a database try to inclose the statement with...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

UPDATE SQL Statement in Excel VBA Editor to update Access Database - ADO
Hello, I am trying to update records in my database from excel data using vba editor within excel. In order to launch a query, I use SQL langage in ADO as follwing: ------------------------------------------------------------ Dim adoConn As ADODB.Connection Dim adoRs As ADODB.Recordset Dim sConn As String Dim sSql As String Dim sOutput As String sConn = "DSN=MS Access Database;" & _ "DBQ=MyDatabasePath;" & _ "DefaultDir=MyPathDirectory;" & _ "DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;" & _ "PWD=xxxxxx;UID=admin;" ID, A, B C.. are my table fields sSql = "SELECT ID, `A`, B, `C being a date`, D, E, `F`, `H`, I, J, `K`, L" & _ " FROM MyTblName" & _ " WHERE (`A`='MyA')" & _ " AND (`C`>{ts '" & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss") & "'})" & _ " ORDER BY `C` DESC" Set adoConn = New ADODB.Connection adoConn.Open sConn Set adoRs = New ADODB.Recordset adoRs.Open Source:=sSql, _ ActiveConnection:=adoConn adoRs.MoveFirst Sheets("Sheet1").Range("a2").CopyFromRecordset adoRs Set adoRs = Nothing Set adoConn = Nothing --------------------------------------------------------------- Does Anyone know How I can use the UPDATE, DELETE INSERT SQL statem...

Access front-end: Oracle vs SQL Server backend
I need to upsize my Access 2002 "database" to a larger database. I would like to use Access projects to manage the database. With this preference, it would seem MS SQL Server 2000 is the ideal way to go. Nothwithstanding scalability, performance, pricing, my question is this: what are the distinct advantages MS SQL Server [may] have over Oracle when used in conjunction with Access? What are the drawbacks, if any, to using an Access project with ODBC links to an Oracle database? In my not-so-humble opinion, Microsoft SQL Server is the simplest, easiest-to-administer "heavy-duty" server database I have encountered. It has user-friendly and excellent administrative tools. But, every server database I've encountered requires administration and frequent "tender loving care". Access can be used to easily create user-friendly front-ends for this (and for any other ODBC-compliant server DB). And, as server databases go, Microsoft SQL Server is not overly expensive -- it comes in several different versions, from a free version for a few users, a Small Business Edition for more, and the full version can be expanded to truly impressive data and user capacity. Oracle has a good reputation in the heavy-duty, industrial-strength database arena, but it is not inexpensive, and most of the people I know who have used it have said that you will likely need to hire Oracle's engineers to install and tune it (at truly staggering rates). These are not, o...

Is this possible to have the 97 users with 97 front end, 2000 users with 2000 front end, 2002 users with 2002 front end, and 2003 users with 2003 front end all linked up to an access 97 backend? We are currently planning on upgrading workstations with either 2000, 2002, 2003. the criteria for the specific version will depend on the IT department. I would like to know if we have several different office versions will it work to have access 97 as a back end?? thanks in advance jung That should work fine. Same rules as usual: make sure everyone has their own copy of the front end, preferably on their hard drive. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JMCN" <picarama@yahoo.fr> wrote in message news:2772ee20.0405181252.6fa8b4e@posting.google.com... > Is this possible to have the 97 users with 97 front end, 2000 users > with 2000 front end, 2002 users with 2002 front end, and 2003 users > with 2003 front end all linked up to an access 97 backend? > > We are currently planning on upgrading workstations with either 2000, > 2002, 2003. the criteria for the specific version will depend on the > IT department. I would like to know if we have several different > office versions will it work to have access 97 as a back end?? > > thanks in advance > jung picarama@yahoo.fr (JMCN) wrote: >Is this possible to have the 97 users with 97 front end, 2000 users >with 2000 front end, 2002 ...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

how do you update a java.sql.date type in an ms access database
when i update a row in an access database the date field does not update to the correct date it brings up some funny date which i dont know where it comes from. Below is the method i use to update. maybe the date types are not compatable? thanks in advance, public static void bookIN(int custID, int rNumber,java.sql.Date bkInDate ){ try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); String filename = "hotelDB.mdb"; String database = "jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ="; database+= filename.trim() + ";DriverID=22;READONLY=true}"; Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection( database ,"",""); int yes = 1; Statement s = con.createStatement(); s.executeUpdate("update Rooms set CustomerId ="+custID+",BookINDate ="+ bkInDate +",Occupied = "+yes+" where RoomNo = "+rNumber+" "); s.close(); con.close(); } catch (Exception err) { System.out.println("ERROR: " + err); } } "chose" wrote... > when i update a row in an access database the date field > does not update to the correct date it brings up some > funny date which i dont know where it comes from. It comes from db's attempt to parse an invalid date-string... In Access/Jet,...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Access front end, sql 7 backend, dsn on novell server
This is an interesting problem. We recently had the privelege of upgrading a Netware 5.0 network server. It used to be on old HP equipment. Now it sits on new Dell equipment. There was a database app running on this network. Clients-mixed 98/2000 os. Running access 2000 front end. Back end is a ms sql server 7 running on a windows 2k workstation. The DSNs tying the two together used to sit on the Novell server. As did the actual .mdbs. We put them all back onto the new server. Same ip. Different ipx address. Now the clients see super slow response from the application. So slow that the clients sometimes toast their connections out of frustration only to corrupt the dbs. Any ideas? tia Luke One thing to realize is that you do NOT want to share the mdb file on eh server. You need to give each user their own copy. In addition, preferably, each work station should get a mde. All kinds of server locking and contention problems will occur if you have multiple users into the same file. So, don't do it. You don't install and run word off of the server, nor do you install and run Excel off of the server. Just because you use some software development tools like C++, VB, or ms-access does not all of a sudden mean that you start sharing the applications(s) you have on the server. You can certainly share some word docs on the server..but SOFTWARE you have goes on each pc. Your old system might have worked this way..but you really were simply lucky... You can have a spl...

JDBC/ODBC user issues accessing SQL Server 2000 database
I have a SQL Server 2000 database which has been restored from a backup. The restored database contained a user called "X", which is the owner of all of the tables in the database. When I try to execute an SQL SELECT against any of the tables in the database (using the JDBC/ODBC bridge) I get an "invalid object name" error - it seems to be requiring me to prefix the table names with "X.", even though the ODBC data source has been set up with the user "X". If I use MS-Access to link to the database using the same ODBC data source I can see the tables - each is listed with an X. prefix. If I connect from the SQL Server command line using the X user/login I can refer to tables without using the X prexix on table names. The only thing that may have complicated things is that I used sp_change_users_login to associate the X user with the X login. Can anyone tell me how I can avoid having to prexix my table names with the user name, when I should be connecting with that user name? TIA for any help, Isabel ITM wrote: > I have a SQL Server 2000 database which has been restored from a > backup. The restored database contained a user called "X", which is > the owner of all of the tables in the database. When I try to execute > an SQL SELECT against any of the tables in the database (using the > JDBC/ODBC bridge) I get an "invalid object name" error - it seems to > be requi...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Web resources about - Trouble updating database with subforms (SQL SERVER 2000 backend and Access 2002 Front End) - comp.databases.ms-access

Wikipedia:Updating information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia editing guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Facebook Updating Software Development Kit For Apple IOS 6 To Reflect Integration
With Facebook integration officially coming to Apple’s iOS 6 mobile operating system for its iPhone and iPad tablet, what new features are in ...

Updating how Cost per Click is Measured on Facebook
To help advertisers better understand how their ads perform, we're updating the definition of cost per click on Facebook. Learn what the change ...

Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know
Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Page Updating
... who want to more easily update their Facebook Pages on the go: Facebook for iPhone 3.0 , which should be released soon, will include Page updating, ...

Updating trends on mobile
Trends are a great way to find out what people are talking about on Twitter at a given moment and at a single glance. Starting today, we’re making ...

Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store on iTunes
Get Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 Updating #2 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore berrytokyo's photos on Flickr. berrytokyo has uploaded 126 photos to Flickr.

LOOT v0.7.0 for Mod Organizer: Updating and Installation - YouTube
A new version of LOOT (Load Order Optimisation Tool) has been released with some major upgrades. This video tutorial shows how to upgrade and ...

Updating Emma: Jane Austen's classic joins list of literary reworks
Jane Austen published six novels. Just six. She died before she completed the seventh.