Update Access Table with Excel Table

I have a table that is being utilized in an Access database.  There is
a number of updates that need to be made on a monthly basis.  The
updates are sent in Excel format.  Is there a way that I can upload
the information from the Excel sheet into the Access table?  I tried
importing it and it won't let me do that because the it can't override
the information in the table.  I tried linking the database to an
excel spreadsheet, but that slows the database down significantly and
removes the ability of multiple people accessing the database at the
same time.
Preferably I would like to be able to run some code that would update
the database table from an Excel spreadsheet.
The table has 3 fields: Index, Department, and Responsible_Party.
Index is the key.  The update should update the department and/or
responsible_party fields if they are different in the spreadsheet.  It
should also enter a new record if an index is not found.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

The kind of operation(s) you are describing is/are better suited by a
server based RDBMS like sql server.  Access is a file based RDBMS.
There are various workarounds for Access, but these are mainly bandaid
fixes - godd if you are only performing these operations once or once in
a great while.  But for continuous operations - the bandaid fix doesn't
really fix anything and causes more problems.  The easiest fix would be
to step up to a server based system - if these operations are ongoing.

Rich

rpng123 (1033)
12/4/2008 11:00:09 PM
iwasinnihon wrote:
> I have a table that is being utilized in an Access database.  There is
> a number of updates that need to be made on a monthly basis.  The
> updates are sent in Excel format.  Is there a way that I can upload
> the information from the Excel sheet into the Access table?  I tried
> importing it and it won't let me do that because the it can't override
> the information in the table.  I tried linking the database to an
> excel spreadsheet, but that slows the database down significantly and
> removes the ability of multiple people accessing the database at the
> same time.
> Preferably I would like to be able to run some code that would update
> the database table from an Excel spreadsheet.
> The table has 3 fields: Index, Department, and Responsible_Party.
> Index is the key.  The update should update the department and/or
> responsible_party fields if they are different in the spreadsheet.  It
> should also enter a new record if an index is not found.
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.

Can you link to the spreadsheet?  (File/GetExternalDatabase/Link) and
then select the file?  That puts the spreadsheet into a datasheet when
opened and seems to be fast.  Or use TransferSpreadsheet?  Ex:
	DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acLink, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, _
		"testingExcel", "c:\apps\book1.xls", True

 From that you should be run an update or append query into your access
table.

0
oil (4047)
12/5/2008 1:25:52 AM
well, that sounds easy enough. link the spreadsheet, if it's easily done and
give you the correct data types, otherwise import the spreadsheet into a
temporary table. if you're concerned about bloat from importing/deleting
records repeatedly, put the temporary table in a temporary database, and
link that table into your "real" database.

next, create a SELECT query that links the data table to the temp table with
an Inner Join, on the Index field. (btw, Index is not a good fieldname
choice in Access because it's a Reserved word; suggest you change the
fieldname in your data table.) then turn the query into an Update query,
updating the Department and Responsible_Party fields in the data table with
the matching fields in the temp table, and referring to the temp table
fields using a full reference, as

TempTableName.Department
TempTableName.Responsible_Party

there's no point trying to update only those records where the current data
is different from the new data, because who cares? if a temp table record
has dept "X" and the data table record has dept "Y", the query will update
to dept "X", as it should; if the temp data is dept "X" and the data table
is dept "X", the update occurs - and at the end, the dept is "X", as it
should be.

next, create an Unmatched records query (you can use the queries wizard) to
pull temp records that do NOT have a matching Index value in the data table.
then change that query to an Append query, to add those new records to the
data table.

finally, you can set all of this up one time, creating the Import or Link
specification, the Update query, and the Append query. then just write some
code to run each step in turn, automatically, and attach the code to a
command button on a form, or wherever it's convenient. so the next time you
run it, and every time thereafter, all it takes is a button click.

hth

"iwasinnihon" <iwasinnihon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a table that is being utilized in an Access database.  There is
> a number of updates that need to be made on a monthly basis.  The
> updates are sent in Excel format.  Is there a way that I can upload
> the information from the Excel sheet into the Access table?  I tried
> importing it and it won't let me do that because the it can't override
> the information in the table.  I tried linking the database to an
> excel spreadsheet, but that slows the database down significantly and
> removes the ability of multiple people accessing the database at the
> same time.
> Preferably I would like to be able to run some code that would update
> the database table from an Excel spreadsheet.
> The table has 3 fields: Index, Department, and Responsible_Party.
> Index is the key.  The update should update the department and/or
> responsible_party fields if they are different in the spreadsheet.  It
> should also enter a new record if an index is not found.
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.

0
nospam8319 (412)
12/5/2008 2:53:22 AM
On Dec 5, 3:09=A0am, iwasinnihon <iwasinni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a table that is being utilized in an Access database. =A0There is
> a number of updates that need to be made on a monthly basis. =A0The
> updates are sent in Excel format. =A0Is there a way that I can upload
> the information from the Excel sheet into the Access table? =A0I tried
> importing it and it won't let me do that because the it can't override
> the information in the table. =A0I tried linking the database to an
> excel spreadsheet, but that slows the database down significantly and
> removes the ability of multiple people accessing the database at the
> same time.
> Preferably I would like to be able to run some code that would update
> the database table from an Excel spreadsheet.
> The table has 3 fields: Index, Department, and Responsible_Party.
> Index is the key. =A0The update should update the department and/or
> responsible_party fields if they are different in the spreadsheet. =A0It
> should also enter a new record if an index is not found.
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.

Update MS Access table from another table
This is probably very simple but I can't figure out a way to update one table from another table. Here is an example: ------ TABLEA ------ first_name last_name grade ------ TABLEB ------ first_name last_name grade I want to update TABLEB's "grade" column from TABLEA (join by first_name and last_name). What's wrong with following sql? UPDATE TABLEB SET GRADE = (SELECT GRADE FROM TABLEA WHERE TABLEA.LAST_NAME = TABLEB.LAST_NAME AND TABLEA.FIRST_NAME = TABLEB.FIRST_NAME) Also, one more question: How do I update TABLE's &quo...

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval fro...

How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
Dear all, I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know when they were created and/or modified. The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, but I have not managed to read it from SAS. (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. Regards Dietrich -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Updating MS Access tables from a query
I created a form which display data from a query, the query displays field values from a few tables, For example in the main table I have school ID, and school name and schooltypeID. The form displays School name and School Type (this value come from a different table depending on SchoolTypeID). 1, How can I use the same form to create a new record 2, How can I create a "dialog" list based on SchoolTypeID which displays the SchoolType correctly but updates the record with the correct type ID. Thanks ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the program below. > > > > Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, > > > > Jean Baptiste > > > > The program: > > - - - > > > > options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; > > libname DBsource access 'S:\Data > Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 > Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; > > /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > > > data* pedResultadd ; > > set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = > > testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text > > ); > * > > run*; > > - - - The log - - > > 1636 > > 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > 1638 > > 1639 data pedResultadd ; > > 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional...

Re: How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
The answer is given here: Problem Note 7495: No read permission on System Tables when using SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC with a Microsoft Access ODBC Driver http://support.sas.com/kb/7/495.html Regards Dietrich Dietrich Alte schrieb: > Dear all, > > I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know > when they were created and/or modified. > The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, > but I have not managed to read it from SAS. > (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) > --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? > I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. > > Regards > > Dietrich > -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Access/Excel Linked Table Will Not Update
I've linked an excel worksheet as an access table. The values appear but it won't allow me to change any of the values. To test I've provided a fresh blank workbook and same problem. I've done this on other computers and it's worked fine. Using: Win 2000 SP4 Hi > I've linked an excel worksheet as an access table. The values appear > but it won't allow me to change any of the values. > > To test I've provided a fresh blank workbook and same problem. > > I've done this on other computers and it's worked fine. Guess there are differ...

Error on MS Access Project when updating table
This is a simple MS Access 2003 Project file (*.adp). It accesses a SQL Server 2005 database on the network. It has 10 tables. Everything updates, deletes, inserts, adds without a hitch, except for the issue(s) below. When I make a selection from the combo box and move to another object or close the form I get the following error: (error 1) "Key value for this row was changed or deleted at the data store. The local row is now deleted." I hit the "OK" button. It takes me back to the form. If I close the form, I get this error: (error 2) "Multiple-step operation...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #2
Hi Jean, It looks like your problem is that you've got a quote in a table name: Additional'n=20 If it is possible to rename that table, that might work. =20 Also, if you use the import feature in SAS, it will write code for you = that you can save and put in a program- you might try that to see if it = can handle this kind of file name. I'd rename the table in Access, = though- a quote in a table name is likely to contiously cause you = problems. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: JKamgang@Yahoo.com=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:31 AM Subject: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name = which has more than 32 characters? Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=3DANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTest...

How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters?
Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text ); * run*; - - - The log - - 1636 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ 1638 1639 data pedResultadd ; 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = --------------------------------------------- 211 ERROR 211-185: Invalid data set name. 1641 1642 testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text 1643 ); Jean Baptiste, --- Jean Baptiste KAMGANG, Lead Data Manager - CDC Cameroon US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Mutengene, SouthWest Province Cameroon, Africa E mail: JBKamgang@cm.cdc.gov. Tel: + 237 3 335 1690 Fax: + 237 3 335 1692 Cell: + 237 9 984 79 14 --- .. Ca...

Restrict users from linking excel pivot tables to my access db tables
Hi Can anyone help? I run Access2000 and would like to restrict users from creating a pivot table linking to my access tables Is this possible? On Jul 15, 8:37=A0am, KayC <kay_c...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Hi > > Can anyone help? I run Access2000 and would like to restrict users > from creating a pivot table linking to my access tables > > Is this possible? Set a database password and don't give it to the Excel users. Tim ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #3
Jean - Unfortunately you are stuck - SAS only allows dataset names up to 32 bytes long - using name literals or conventional names. Defining short-named queries of your tables within MSAccess is a very good idea. The SAS libname engine will read the queries as tables and it doesn't necessitate changing your table names. Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of JKamgang@Yahoo.com Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:32 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters? Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text ); * run...

SQL for Quering Access Tables using a Table/Field List Table
I have a Table called TableField that has the table names, fields and Data type of all the tables and fields in the database. They are set up as follows: Table: TableField TableName FieldName Type Table1 LName Text Table1 FName Text Table1 Address1 Text Table1 Address2 Text Table1 State Text Table1 Zip Text Table2 Color Text Table2 Descrip Text Table2 Size Text Table2 Temp Text . . Table65 ... Not having much Access experience, If I were looking for a specific value "e.g., Orange" located in one o...

Paste into Excel without MS Access Table header
This is probably easy to do but I can't find it in the groups. How do I paste into an excel document without the MS Access headers? I just want to paste the data. Thanks I don't believe you can do it with a mouse and keyboard. In the interactive mode you get the header row and delete it. You can do it without the header in VBA as follows: 'set the worksheet you want to paste into Set xlSheet = xlBook.Worksheets("TheSheetToPasteInto") 'clear out the old data xlSheet.Range("b2:v15000").Clear 'open the recordset you want to copy from Set RS = db.Open...

How to read MS Access Database Table Created Date
Hi, may need some help here. I am using Borland Delphi Dev 2006. I am able to read the list of tables names in MS Access 2003 database using ADOConnection1.GetTableNames, but I am trying to read the list of tables with their created/modified dates, appreciate some help here please. Thanks. Xan. ...

How to read MS Access Database Table Created Date
Hi, may need some help here. I am using Borland Delphi Dev 2006. I am able to read the list of tables names in MS Access 2003 database using ADOConnection1.GetTableNames, but I am trying to read the list of tables with their created/modified dates, appreciate some help here please. Thanks. Xan. ...

How can I update forms and tables in a shared Access database?
We have an Access database Sch_S.mdb in the shared driver S across the network. I have a copy of that database in my local driver C, named as Sch_C.mdb. As per users' request I added some check boxes in the main form of the database, and added some relevant subroutines in that form. Now I need to put the modified database Sch_C.mdb to the shared S driver. Since new data had been added to tables (say T1, T2) in Sch_S.mdb while I was working with Sch_C.mdb, I have to update the main form to Sch_S.mdb, or to update data in tables T1 and T2, in Sch_C.mdb. What is the best way to do that? Wh...

How can I make Access 97 "see" tables in a remote database after creating those tables with a query???
I used the following SQL to create a new table in a database on a remote MySQL server by copying one already there. I know the table exists SOMEWHERE in cyberspace. I can read its data, write to it, delete from it. But I cannot see it. The only way I know it exists is by running this SQL from Access 97 pass through query: SELECT ALL new_tbl.name FROM new_tbl The database resides on a MySQL server that was created with a single table (named test) in it for testing purposes. I ran the following SQL to create another copy of the table in the same database named: new_tbl CREATE TABLE new_tbl S...

Question on how updates to Access tables may or may not cause the database to expand in size
See if I have this right: For this I will ignore BLOBS and MEMO fields which I do not use in this application. Data is stored by jet in 2k pages. Multiple records may be stored in a single pages but records are not spanned across two pages. All strings are stored as variable length data, one byte for each actual character and one overhead byte. This is regardless of the string size specified. All other data types are fixed length in size. When a database is compacted and repaired, tables are written out in primary key sequence. I have concluded that after the compact/repair, that each table, is written in sequence, filling up 2k pages, and that tables are not generally intermixed except at the end of one table and the beginning of the next. However, this assumption is not key to my question. When updates are made, if they are made to fixed length data (integer, long, single, double, byte, boolean, etc) the database does not expand. when updates are made to strings, if the size of one or more strings is expanded, any available unused space in the 2k page is used to store the new data (likely by shifting other data "down" to make room for the longer string). If the data can be accommodated by unused space in the 2k page, then the database does not increase in size. If it cannot, then the database DOES expand in size. When this happens, I assssuuummme that the record is removed from its current 2k page and moved to a new 2k page. Not cle...

Web resources about - Update Access Table with Excel Table - comp.databases.ms-access

Windows Update - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows Update is a service provided by Microsoft that provides updates for the Microsoft Windows operating system and its installed components, ...

Gizmodo.com Updates
Nobody should have to use a pay phone , natural disaster or no natural disaster. So if your gadgets are out of juice after Sandy, here’s a tiny ...

Lifehacker.com Updates
By Whitson Gordon Ever run into a situation where you have multiple wireless networks available, but one is clearly better than the other? WiFi ...

Facebook To Update Mobile Apps Every 4 To 8 Weeks
On the same day that Facebook released a bunch of mobile updates for Apple and Android devices , the social network also announced that it will ...

Brisbane Election 2016: latest updates - The Courier-Mail Search Search
THE race for one of Brisbane’s tightest LNP-held seats is nearing the finishing line, and candidates are working down to the wire to secure votes. ...

Everything Apple needs to update, but won’t announce at its event next week
... SE, its first 9.7-inch iPad Pro , and new first-gen Apple Watch models and bands. But there’s also a whole list of things Apple should update ...

AMD Updates Gaming Evolved Client
... number of people willing to make tools to facilitate said interest. In this vein AMD and second-party developer Raptr have brought a few updates ...

March security updates heading to US carrier Galaxy S7
Update, 12:07 PM: AT&T users are reporting that they are receiving the same update. If you have a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge on AT&T, it may be worth ...

Nexus Devices getting a Second March 2016 Security Update
When it comes to security updates, once a month is usually pretty outstanding. Especially when it comes to comparing Nexus or unlocked devices ...

Jill and Jessa Counting On updates: Anna Duggar says faith has given her ability to love Josh
Josh Duggar might not be a part of the new TLC show &quot;Jill and Jessa: Counting On,&quot; but his wife Anna still showed just how important ...