Updating A Text String In A Text Field With An Update Query

If I have the following string in a text field of a table:
"This is a test"
can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to
"xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA?
Thanks,
Sheldon Potolsky
0
SHPsalm139 (70)

Use an Update query.

Something like this:
    UPDATE Table1
    SET [F1] = Replace([F1], "is", "xyz")
    WHERE [F1] Like "*is*";

"Sheldon" <SHPsalm139@aol.com> wrote in message
> If I have the following string in a text field of a table:
> "This is a test"
> can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to
> "xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA?
> Thanks,
> Sheldon Potolsky
0
AllenBrowne (3681)
6/18/2008 1:22:47 PM
Thank you Allen; that worked great.

As a followup, if I also wanted to change all occurrences of "t" or
"T" to "123" in the string "This is a test", would I need an
additional query?  In my real world example, I'm trying to remove
certain strings such as "<br/>" and "&nbsp;" whenever they occur in a
closing description of a problem.

Thank you, Sheldon

> Something like this:
> =A0 =A0 UPDATE Table1
> =A0 =A0 SET [F1] =3D Replace([F1], "is", "xyz")
> =A0 =A0 WHERE [F1] Like "*is*";
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. =A0Perth, Western Australia
> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>
> "Sheldon" <SHPsalm...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > If I have the following string in a text field of a table:
> > "This is a test"
> > can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to
> > "xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA?
> > Thanks,
> > Sheldon Potolsky- Hide quoted text -

SHPsalm139 (70)
6/18/2008 1:52:15 PM
Yes: execute an Update query for each replacement.

Thank you Allen; that worked great.

As a followup, if I also wanted to change all occurrences of "t" or
"T" to "123" in the string "This is a test", would I need an
additional query?  In my real world example, I'm trying to remove
certain strings such as "<br/>" and "&nbsp;" whenever they occur in a
closing description of a problem.

Thank you, Sheldon

> Something like this:
> UPDATE Table1
> SET [F1] = Replace([F1], "is", "xyz")
> WHERE [F1] Like "*is*";
>
> "Sheldon" <SHPsalm...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > If I have the following string in a text field of a table:
> > "This is a test"
> > can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to
> > "xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA?
> > Thanks,
> > Sheldon Potolsky- Hide quoted text -

AllenBrowne (3681)

Updating MS-Access Database query
hello i need to update my MS-Access database thru matlab. when using the following code using function "updates" it updates the database i.e .......whereClause = 'where month = ''Nov'''..... Here "Nov" is an entry in the database. Now when i assign a variable to the months..ie variable name "MNTH" could contain Jan /Feb etc,.....and i want to pass the variable "MNTH" ie .......whereClause = 'where month = ''MNTH'''..... it DOES NOT update the database and i receive the error .....error in horxcat......

update text field based on selection field

Updating text fields
I am trying to update text fields where the field only has the value "closed." So a field that has closed and anything else will not be updated. update dbo.Hist set dbo.Hist.Notes = '' FROM dbo.Hist WHERE (Notes LIKE 'closed_') update dbo.Hist set dbo.Hist.Notes = '' FROM dbo.Hist WHERE (Notes LIKE 'closed%') and len(convert (varchar(7000),notes)) = 7 Neither code works and i get this error: "Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the...

Re: How can labview update the string control (text-edit box) after we have pressed the carriage return key on the keyboard during text-editing within that box?
Hello Alberto, &nbsp; I have trouble to edit an exited text file and save it after the content changed. Can you please&nbsp;help me out? &nbsp; Thanks, Jason&nbsp; ...

Limited number of updateable fields in update query??
Hello, I am executing an SQL string in an ADO connection to an Access mdb that updates 10 fields in one row: SQL = Update table1 set fld1 = value1, fld2 = value2,...fld10 = value10 Where <criteris> connADO.Execute SQL, iRecsAffected When i execute the code it doesn't update any records. I pasted the text in the qbe and it still didn't update any rows - no errors, just 0 rows updated. After experimenting I found that the statement will update 1 row if I only have 9 fields to update. It didn't matter which field I omitted, as long as there was only 9 or less. This seems ...

ms-access database cannot be updated
I have a ms-access application. The front end is ms-access and the backend is SQL Server. Originallly it worked well on windows 2000 machine. After the machine is re-imaged to windows xp machine. The application cannot be updated. All the textbox or dropdownlist become readonly. There are no particular error message. The screen is just freeze when you are trying to do update. Can someone help with this issue? Thanks! ...

wxSlider updating a text field
Hello all, I have a very simple question which is for making sure that I got some things principally right: What I want to have is a dialog that has a wxSlider. When the slider is dragged, I want it to update a numerical value in a text field in the same dialog (e.g. from 0 to 100%). The dialog is to be shown modal. That is, the text field is to be updated before the user clicks OK or Cancel. Do I assume right that the *ONLY* way to achieve this (and many similar effects) is to register an event handler for the slider, and to update the text field from within this event ...

MsAccess Update query command in Form not updating all fields
If I run my Update query on its own it does the job but if I run the same query in a Form it does nothing. Can any one tell me what I'm do wrong; below the type of code I have tried Example1 Dim db As Database Dim qd As QueryDef Set db = CurrentDb Set qd = db.QueryDefs("Update_Mat_Class_2005") qd.Execute Set qd = Nothing Set qd = Nothing Example2 DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.OpenQuery "Update_Mat_Class_2005" DoCmd.SetWarnings True below the query UPDATE mattemp INNER JOIN mat_class_2005 ON mattemp.euro_code = mat_class_2005....

Updating column in a text file without overwriting original text
I have a text file with both numbers and words and I want to select a specific numeric column and replace it with new numeric values. I want to replace the 6th column of: $$ $$ FORCE Data $$ FORCE 2 71153 01.0 0.0 0.00117 0.0 FORCE 2 71209 01.0 0.0 0.00179 0.0 FORCE 2 71268 01.0 0.0 0.00239 0.0 FORCE 2 71325 01.0 0.0 0.00296 0.0 FORCE 2 71676 01.0 0.0 0.00345 0.0 FORCE 2 71384 01.0 0.0 0.00383 0.0 FORCE ...

text-text

update text
how to update the text on "plot3" using the checkbox plotbutton_callback(hObject, eventdata, handles) ...... plot3(x,y,z...................) ....... checkboxStatus = get(handles.checkbox1,'Value'); if checkboxStatus==1 %if box is checked, set text in object text(.........................) else%if box is unchecked, delete text in object end whether the placement is correct checkbox on? I don't know what this means "whether the placement is correct checkbox on" but it looks l...

text + text

update from using ms access query
Dear Sirs, I have the following select query and i need to update the field EmailLastReceivedDate (showing null in the select) to the values in the field MaxOfSentOn using access 2000 query OFCOURSE ONE STATMENT NOW I HAVE A LOOP THRU THE RECORDSET AND A UPDATE ACCORDINGLY SELECT Max(EmailsDatabase.SentOn) AS MaxOfSentOn, CoEmails.CoCode, CoBank.EmailLastReceivedDate FROM (EmailsDatabase INNER JOIN CoEmails ON EmailsDatabase.From = CoEmails.Email) INNER JOIN CoBank ON CoEmails.CoCode = CoBank.Code GROUP BY EmailsDatabase.From, CoEmails.CoCode, CoBank.EmailLastReceivedDate; MaxOfSentOn ...

Updating MS Access tables from a query
I created a form which display data from a query, the query displays field values from a few tables, For example in the main table I have school ID, and school name and schooltypeID. The form displays School name and School Type (this value come from a different table depending on SchoolTypeID). 1, How can I use the same form to create a new record 2, How can I create a "dialog" list based on SchoolTypeID which displays the SchoolType correctly but updates the record with the correct type ID. Thanks ...

Updating GUI text field from function
Hi, I've got a nearest neighbour algorithm that calculates pixel intensities from a known sample. Because it can take a while I'm trying to get a Static Text box to display the percentage completed. However, it only seems to display the percentage when it's complete. Is there a way to update this text box every time the percentage is calculated? Thanks in advance. Cameron Smith wrote: > Hi, > > I've got a nearest neighbour algorithm that calculates pixel > intensities from a known sample. Because it can take a while I'm > trying to get a Static Text box to...

MS Access Update Query help
I've created a form that has many option boxes to help users choose items (I need option boxes vs. combo boxes because they can choose multiple items per category). I've created an update query to change the value from �1 (system automatically generates that) to the actual value I want. In the criteria section of the append query, I put a simple if statement: IIf("-1","London",""). Regardless of the value that is found however, the query changes the �1 to the �true' condition. Can someone please help? I'm not quite clear whether your expressio...

Updating an OptionMenu every time the text file it reads from is updated (Tkinter)
I currently have a program that reads in values for an OptionMenu from a text file. I also have an option to add a line to that text file which corresponds to a new value for that OptionMenu. How can I make that OptionMenu update its values based on that text file without restarting the program? In other words, every time I add a value to the text file, I want the OptionMenu to immediately update to take note of this change. I'll provide code if needed. * Dr. Benjamin David Clarke: > I currently have a program that reads in values for an OptionMenu from > a text file. I als...

Unbound text box, text>255, MS Access/PostgreSQL
Hello. I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a commentary of a batch of records. There is a DAO Append Query that has a parameter that is passed from the text box using parameter of DAO QueryDef object. I adjusted B7 parameter (Text as LongVarchar) in connection string (ODBC driver) to 1, so that Access links PostgreSQL Text fields as Memo fields in Access. The intention was to be able to enter unlimited length commentary into the field. But, although I can enter unlimited text by using...

How to update text field contents during looping process
I am running a loop over AppleScript files in a directory tree. Each time through the loop "osadecompiles" the script and adds the script text to an array. When it is through it populates a table. What I have been attempting to do is update a text field with the current iteration. I am using the following code but I have tried many variations. I have tried with and without the Thread. It *does* log to the console through each iteration just not the window. def update_run_count Thread.new do text = "Processing #{@c} of #{@file_count}" puts text @text_field....

Running queries update text box on form
I have some code written and it works fine, except the lines that update the form text box. I want to update the text box to let the user know what qry is executing. If I take out the Docmd.setwarnings line, it updates fine,but the user has to click yes 2 times due to them being make table queries. Code below: Me.txtStatus.Value = "Processing: qry66400aIRHebron" DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.OpenQuery "qry66400aIRHebron", acViewNormal, acReadOnly DoCmd.SetWarnings True Me.txtStatus.Value = "Processing: qryAdidas1Receiving" ...

how to show Latex text string on "static text" field in GUI?
hi folks, how to show Latex text such as "\sigma" symbol on the "static text" field in my GUI? thanks a lot, -Gino gino wrote: <Summary: He wants to display a sigma character in a static text box> I'm not sure you can, at least in R13. (R14 might be different.) Uicontrols such as static text boxes don't seem to support the Interpreter command to allow you specify whether whether characters are interpreted as Tex instructions or literally. In R13, uicontrols seem to interpret all characters literally. Bob Pownall gino wrote on 22 Jul 2004 03:15:...

Update Query error
I have a data table containing a list of orders for parts to be manufactured. There can be several orders for the same part logged into this table, along with several orders for each and every other part produced. Manufacturing can never complete an entire order without having to switch to another version to keep up with demand, so I have created another table in which I have logged in partial order completions. The partial completions table will only have a small percentage of the entire product line logged in at any one time. I have created a query that groups like products together for Sum of quantities. I have another query in which I do the same for the partial orders table. I want to create another query in which I subtract the sums of tblPartialFills from tblOrders if the products match (3 description fields have to match), but I also want to show the order totals which do not have a match in the partial fills table. This is what I have not been able to do. This is a personal project that I have set myself as a learning experience (I'm taking Intro to MS Access this semester). I have learned alot, but now I've hit a stone wall. Can anyone see a solution to this? Thanks - -- / Sean the Mc / "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931) ...

Truncating text from a string with beginning text from another string
>From a line of arbitrary text, possibly followed by some amount of text from the beginning of the string ' Reference #\d+', where \d+ represents one or more digit characters, I want to output the line without the ending ' Reference...' string. For example, the input line 'some arbitrary text Refer' would become 'some arbitrary text'. Here are two programs that seem to do what I want, but they seem overly complicated for this task. I'm looking for a simpler solution, possibly by using a better regular expression than I have chosen in my first sample co...

Text filtering in a text field
Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a text field in my form that is only to be with text, not any of the symbols (i.e. ~!@#$%^&* and so on). When the user input and saved the fields, those characters won't be allowed to be saved. What will be the best way to filter out only text? Only numbers? Terence <terrylau77@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and > filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a > text f...

Web resources about - Updating A Text String In A Text Field With An Update Query - comp.databases.ms-access

Wikipedia:Updating information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia editing guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Facebook Updating Software Development Kit For Apple IOS 6 To Reflect Integration
With Facebook integration officially coming to Apple’s iOS 6 mobile operating system for its iPhone and iPad tablet, what new features are in ...

Updating how Cost per Click is Measured on Facebook
To help advertisers better understand how their ads perform, we're updating the definition of cost per click on Facebook. Learn what the change ...

Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know
Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Page Updating
... who want to more easily update their Facebook Pages on the go: Facebook for iPhone 3.0 , which should be released soon, will include Page updating, ...

Updating trends on mobile
Trends are a great way to find out what people are talking about on Twitter at a given moment and at a single glance. Starting today, we’re making ...

Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store on iTunes
Get Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 Updating #2 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore berrytokyo's photos on Flickr. berrytokyo has uploaded 126 photos to Flickr.

LOOT v0.7.0 for Mod Organizer: Updating and Installation - YouTube
A new version of LOOT (Load Order Optimisation Tool) has been released with some major upgrades. This video tutorial shows how to upgrade and ...

Updating Emma: Jane Austen's classic joins list of literary reworks
Jane Austen published six novels. Just six. She died before she completed the seventh.