Use New for multiple rept. instances conflicts w/ ControlSource on open

Hi all,

This is actually not an issue of mine, but one a friend of mine told me about
that I was able to confirm.

Let's say you want a highly customizable report, so you want to be able to do
things like specify the ControlSource properties of TextBox controls on the
report when it is run.  The only time this works is in the Open event handler,
but that works great.  So, no problem, right?

Now, say the report is called rptFoo, and you want to open multiple instances
of the report for preview, so now, instead of using DoCmd.OpenReport, you use
something like Set mrptKeepOpen1 = New Report_rptFoo.  This looks like it
should work, but now the code in the report Open event handler says "You can't
set the Control Source property in print preview or after printing has
started."

As a possible work-around, I tried making a master report that embeds the
custom report as a sub-report, and opening that using the New keyword, but the
same error appears.

Does anyone know any work-arounds?
0
nospam48 (2784)

Steve, there are many problems with trying to implement multiple instances
of reports.

Is it possible that the Open event is firing twice, and that the timing
problem is with the 2nd occurance? Haven't tested: just a possibility.

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia.
"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> This is actually not an issue of mine, but one a friend of mine told me
about
> that I was able to confirm.
>
> Let's say you want a highly customizable report, so you want to be able to
do
> things like specify the ControlSource properties of TextBox controls on
the
> report when it is run.  The only time this works is in the Open event
handler,
> but that works great.  So, no problem, right?
>
> Now, say the report is called rptFoo, and you want to open multiple
instances
> of the report for preview, so now, instead of using DoCmd.OpenReport, you
use
> something like Set mrptKeepOpen1 = New Report_rptFoo.  This looks like it
> should work, but now the code in the report Open event handler says "You
can't
> set the Control Source property in print preview or after printing has
> started."
>
> As a possible work-around, I tried making a master report that embeds the
> custom report as a sub-report, and opening that using the New keyword, but
the
> same error appears.
>
> Does anyone know any work-arounds?

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
2/2/2004 6:40:19 AM
Steve Jorgensen <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in

> Hi all,
>
> This is actually not an issue of mine, but one a friend of mine
> told me about that I was able to confirm.
>
> Let's say you want a highly customizable report, so you want to be
> able to do things like specify the ControlSource properties of
> TextBox controls on the report when it is run.  The only time this
> works is in the Open event handler, but that works great.  So, no
> problem, right?
>
> Now, say the report is called rptFoo, and you want to open
> multiple instances of the report for preview, so now, instead of
> using DoCmd.OpenReport, you use something like Set mrptKeepOpen1 =
> New Report_rptFoo.  This looks like it should work, but now the
> code in the report Open event handler says "You can't set the
> Control Source property in print preview or after printing has
> started."
>
> As a possible work-around, I tried making a master report that
> embeds the custom report as a sub-report, and opening that using
> the New keyword, but the same error appears.
>
> Does anyone know any work-arounds?

I've encountered this myself in the past.

The only workaround I found was to use a separate object variable
for each instance.

Perhaps you could do this with an array of type Report so you
wouldn't have to hard-code the number of openable reports?

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)
2/2/2004 4:59:53 PM
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:59:53 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
<dXXXfenton@bway.net.invalid> wrote:

>Steve Jorgensen <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is actually not an issue of mine, but one a friend of mine
>> told me about that I was able to confirm.
>>
>> Let's say you want a highly customizable report, so you want to be
>> able to do things like specify the ControlSource properties of
>> TextBox controls on the report when it is run.  The only time this
>> works is in the Open event handler, but that works great.  So, no
>> problem, right?
>>
>> Now, say the report is called rptFoo, and you want to open
>> multiple instances of the report for preview, so now, instead of
>> using DoCmd.OpenReport, you use something like Set mrptKeepOpen1 =
>> New Report_rptFoo.  This looks like it should work, but now the
>> code in the report Open event handler says "You can't set the
>> Control Source property in print preview or after printing has
>> started."
>>
>> As a possible work-around, I tried making a master report that
>> embeds the custom report as a sub-report, and opening that using
>> the New keyword, but the same error appears.
>>
>> Does anyone know any work-arounds?
>
>I've encountered this myself in the past.
>
>The only workaround I found was to use a separate object variable
>for each instance.
>
>Perhaps you could do this with an array of type Report so you
>wouldn't have to hard-code the number of openable reports?

No, that's not the problem.  I just used the single variable as an example for
brevity.  The problem occurs the first time we try to create the first
instance of the report using New.  How many instances, and where each
instances is stored seem to have no effect on the error.
0
nospam48 (2784)
2/2/2004 5:18:50 PM
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:40:19 +0800, "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid>
wrote:

>Steve, there are many problems with trying to implement multiple instances
>of reports.
>
>Is it possible that the Open event is firing twice, and that the timing
>problem is with the 2nd occurance? Haven't tested: just a possibility.

I checked that just now, and Open only fires once, so that's not it.  I would
try using Initialize instead of Open, but report modules don't have that event
type.
0
nospam48 (2784)

While using Shell to open a new instance of same database, using vbHide to Hide the new instance fails.
I have some long Excel routines that I would like to run from my database in a hidden, second instance of the same Access db. The macro I pass to the shell command to open the second instance contains code to 'Hide' the database (from Dev's site) and also the code which runs the Excel routine. It then quits the database when the code has finished running. Here is my code to open a new instance of my db: NewDBID = Shell(AccessDir & "msaccess.EXE " & strFileName & ShellMacro, vbNormal) This works fine -- except that I get the flash on the screen before the macro passed in the argument fires, hides the window, and begins the Excel export routine. When I change the Shell window argument to 'vbHide,' it hides the first instance of the db(which fired the shell command) and brings me to the main menu of the second instance -- not what I want. The first instance should have the focus at all times, while the second runs hidden. I would like to find a way to avoid this flashing when the second db opens, just before the 'Hide' code runs -- any ideas? ...

Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002
Hi everyone. I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following error "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..." Could anyone please help to resolve this issue. Many thanks. Joe. Use Access 2003 to decompile the database. To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb" Then compact the database to get rid of this junk: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which usually solves the problem. This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, r...

Opening databases with out MS access
Hi, I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have any ideas, please help. Thanks > I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and > what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without > opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database > without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an > executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have > any ideas, please help. Thanks You cannot use Access interface without having Access installed into your pc. -- PBsoft di Gabriele Bertolucci www.pbsoft.it skype: pbsoftsolution http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0001.htm *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Gabriele Bertolucci" <info@REMOVEpbsoft.it> wrote > You cannot use Access interface without > having Access installed into your pc. You can use (but not modify the design of) an Access database if you have the Access runtime, as packaged by the Office Developer Edition (pre-2003) or by the Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003 System. If, in your view, installing the Access runtime qualifies as "having Access install...

Ran a batch file or an MS Access macro shortcut without opening another instance of access
I am trying to use Windows Task Scheduler to run a batch file for an already open MS Access database. Below is the syntax to the batch file: Batch file: DailySalesExport.bat REM This runs the macro that exports the reports to the J drive PATH = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\;C:\Windows\Command" START /WAIT Msaccess.exe "D:\acesdata\SALES\Daily2005.mdb" /x "SnapShotExportDailySales" EXIT Its working fine, the only problem is that its opening another instance of MS Access and i dont want it to do that since that databse is already open. I have to live it open because the main form has criteria which the database uses. I tried saving a shortcut of the macro to my computer: D:\acesdata\SALES\BatchFiles\SnapShotExportDailySalesReports.MAM This works fine when i double click on it from windows explorer but when i use scheduler to run it opens another instance of ms access too! Please help Cliff Look at scheduling a script file instead. You can then use createobject to get the current instance of Access and run the macro using automation. -- Terry Kreft "CliffKing" <cliffcp@msn.com> wrote in message news:1132769209.670188.131640@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to use Windows Task Scheduler to run a batch file for an > already open MS Access database. Below is the syntax to the batch file: > > Batch file: DailySalesExport.bat > REM This runs the macro that exports the reports to the...

Opening multiple database instances
I have an environment with the following flags: DB_CREATE, DB_INIT_LOCK, DB_INIT_LOG, DB_INIT_MPOOL, DB_INIT_TXN, DB_PRIVATE, DB_RECOVER, DB_THREAD. Within that environment, if I open the same database more than once, are there any adverse effects? Will each instance behave like it is independent, and require its own closing? How does that work exactly? I have been able to find no information on this anywhere, or I missed over it completely. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin Kevin Mihelich <leming@nothanks.com> wrote in message news:<YQwTb.205178$I06.2267577@attbi_s01>... > I have an environment with the following flags: DB_CREATE, DB_INIT_LOCK, > DB_INIT_LOG, DB_INIT_MPOOL, DB_INIT_TXN, DB_PRIVATE, DB_RECOVER, > DB_THREAD. Within that environment, if I open the same database more > than once, are there any adverse effects? Will each instance behave > like it is independent, and require its own closing? How does that work > exactly? I have been able to find no information on this anywhere, or I > missed over it completely. Any insight is greatly appreciated. There are no adverse effects to opening a database more than once, you can have as many open handles on a database as you like. Each instance of a database in Berkeley DB is independent, and each database (Db) or database environment (DbEnv) handle must be closed independently. The handle close methods will act as ...

[News] Interview About Open Access and New Milestone for Budapest Open Access Initiative

How to close an open excel using MS Access VBA
Hi, I have an open excel spreadsheet: C:\Excel Files\Entries.xls What is the vba code that would close this file? Thanks, Barry On 25/01/2015 00:23:19, Barry Wright wrote: > Hi, > > I have an open excel spreadsheet: C:\Excel Files\Entries.xls > > What is the vba code that would close this file? > > Thanks, > Barry > Try Dim MyXL As Object This bit opens the Excel application Set MyXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") MyXL.Application.Visible = True Workbooks.Add This bit closes it ...

cannot open access database from a hyperlink using Internet Explorer
I have a Microsoft Access 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1) database that I am attempting to launch from a hyperlink using Internet Explorer (Version 6.0.2800.1106). If I attempt to launch the database from the webpage with the hyperlink using Netscape, the database opens fine. If I attempt to launch the database from the webpage with the hyperlink using Internet Explorer, the database does not open. When I open Task Manager and check the PROCESS listing, I see that MSACCESS.EXE is running, but my database did not open and display the startup form page. I have other Microsoft Access databases that open just fine from hyperlinks using Internet Explorer. The problem seem to be peculiar to the database, but I have not been able to identify how this one database is different from the other databases that open OK. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Open the previous version database in ms-access 2010
Hi all, When I try to open the previous version database in Ms-Access 2010 is not working. Please help me and solve my problem. Naushad "Naushad" <nhaider@kockw.com> wrote in message news:715ed09d-a319-457b-8cfb-0d48fa7ef63b@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > When I try to open the previous version database in Ms-Access 2010 > is not working. Please help me and solve my problem. If you still have a copy of your old version of Access, use it to follow these steps: http://allenbrowne.com/recover.html Then try opening the database with A2010 again. -- Allen...

Verifying Access Version used for currently open database
I want to write a line of code to check the version of MS Access being used by my clients, some of which have multiple versions installed. I am distributing my application as an Access 2002 runtime, but want to know what they're running it on. -- Bob Darlington Brisbane Try: SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessVer) (and SysCmd(acSysCmdRuntime) to see whether or not they're using the runtime) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele Co-author: "Access 2010 Solutions", published by Wiley (no e-mails, please!) "Bob Darlington" <...

Web resources about - Use New for multiple rept. instances conflicts w/ ControlSource on open - comp.databases.ms-access