User level permissions MS Access 2007

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi, I'm creating an Access 2007 database for shared use on a LAN and
want to be able to:
(1) control which users can add, edit and view data, and
(2) prevent changes to the design of objects.
Thanks, Clare
0
Reply clare4814 (6) 9/25/2009 11:02:49 AM

See related articles to this posting

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA102345611033.aspx

you can prevent changes to forms, reports and VBA code by
creating .accde file

Pavlo

On Sep 25, 5:02=A0am, Clare <cl...@cavs.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi, I'm creating an Access 2007 database for shared use on a LAN and
> want to be able to:
> (1) control which users can add, edit and view data, and
> (2) prevent changes to the design of objects.
> Thanks, Clare

0
Reply korpuspi (1) 9/25/2009 5:44:32 PM

On Sep 25, 6:44=A0pm, Pavlo Pedan <korpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA102345611033.aspx
>
> you can prevent changes to forms, reports and VBA code by
> creating .accde file
>
> Pavlo
>
> On Sep 25, 5:02=A0am, Clare <cl...@cavs.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > Hi, I'm creating an Access 2007 database for shared use on a LAN and
> > want to be able to:
> > (1) control which users can add, edit and view data, and
> > (2) prevent changes to the design of objects.
> > Thanks, Clare- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Pavlo.
Could you explain how I would manage ongoing design changes (e.g.
changing from accde back to accdb?)
0
Reply clare4814 (6) 9/28/2009 10:49:23 AM

You don't change back... you keep, for development purposes, the .ACCDB, and
convert it to .ACCDE just prior to releasing a new version to the users.  Of
course, you will have, long since, split the data and the front end -- about
which, you will find good information at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

"comp.databases.ms-access" <clare@cavs.org.uk> wrote in message
On Sep 25, 6:44 pm, Pavlo Pedan <korpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA102345611033.aspx
>
> you can prevent changes to forms, reports and VBA code by
> creating .accde file
>
> Pavlo
>
> On Sep 25, 5:02 am, Clare <cl...@cavs.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > Hi, I'm creating an Access 2007 database for shared use on a LAN and
> > want to be able to:
> > (1) control which users can add, edit and view data, and
> > (2) prevent changes to the design of objects.
> > Thanks, Clare- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Pavlo.
Could you explain how I would manage ongoing design changes (e.g.
changing from accde back to accdb?)

0
Reply bouncer (4168) 9/28/2009 3:56:33 PM

On Sep 28, 4:56=A0pm, "Larry Linson" <boun...@localhost.not> wrote:
> You don't change back... you keep, for development purposes, the .ACCDB, =
and
> convert it to .ACCDE just prior to releasing a new version to the users. =
=A0Of
> course, you will have, long since, split the data and the front end -- ab=
out
> which, you will find good information athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr=
..htm.

> =A0Larry Linson
> =A0Microsoft Office Access MVP
>
> "comp.databases.ms-access" <cl...@cavs.org.uk> wrote in message

> On Sep 25, 6:44 pm, Pavlo Pedan <korpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA102345611033.aspx
>
> > you can prevent changes to forms, reports and VBA code by
> > creating .accde file
>
> > Pavlo
>
> > On Sep 25, 5:02 am, Clare <cl...@cavs.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, I'm creating an Access 2007 database for shared use on a LAN and
> > > want to be able to:
> > > (1) control which users can add, edit and view data, and
> > > (2) prevent changes to the design of objects.
> > > Thanks, Clare- Hide quoted text -

> Thank you Pavlo.
> Could you explain how I would manage ongoing design changes (e.g.
> changing from accde back to accdb?)- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Larry, I hadn't done so, and will look at that now.

Clare
0
Reply clare4814 (6) 9/30/2009 11:59:55 AM
comp.databases.ms-access 42283 articles. 10 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

ms-access 2007 online? How can users log on to access 2007 from the internet?
10 years ago, the below was written (see very end, after my signature RL). What, if anything, has changed? I have Access 2003 and soon Access 2007 on a Windows XP Professional or Windows Vista Ultimate machine, with SQL Server Express running on it, and I want somebody, with a password (which I will provide) to be able to log onto a A03 or A07 dB from the internet. Now that I type this I realize that unless I put the database onto a web server somewhere, probably that will be impossible without some third-party software (which I vaguely recall exists somewhere, just released this year, allo...

User Level Security in Access 2007
I realize that user level security is not available for Access databases in the new AK27 format .accdb, and I know that I can still utilize ULS by making my database an .mdb file. But I'm wondering WHY Microsoft is scrapping a feature that I've always found to be extremely useful. Surely they don't expect that users of the new database format will no longer have a need to assign permissions at different levels for different users! Why would they want to make Access LESS powerful for a wide variety of uses? So I'm thinking they must be thinking that .accdb developers will use ...

Access 2007 user-level security not supported!
Why the heck was this dropped? All my dbs use ULS even the complex ones. It aint perfect, it's too fiddly, but it works. How will I be able to say "These users can run these reports and these users can't." in Access 2007? Will I have to create my own tables (tblSecurityGroups, tblSecurityUsers) and code the whole thing? Thanks, Paul "Paul H" <paul@nospam.com> wrote in message news:nIOdncqmx8MEkyLYRVnysAA@eclipse.net.uk... > Why the heck was this dropped? All my dbs use ULS even the complex ones. It > aint perfect, it's too fiddly, but it ...

User Level Security in Access 2007 #2
I realize that user level security is not available for Access databases in the new AK27 format .accdb, and I know that I can still utilize ULS by making my database an .mdb file. But I'm wondering WHY Microsoft is scrapping a feature that I've always found to be extremely useful. Surely they don't expect that users of the new database format will no longer have a need to assign permissions at different levels for different users! Why would they want to make Access LESS powerful for a wide variety of uses? So I'm thinking they must be thinking that .accdb developers will use ...

Moving an MDB to Access 2007 with user-level security
I am sorry if this is the wrong group to ask, if so please point me in the correct direction. My problem is I have an MDB file with user-level security on it (mdw). When i move it over to a system that has Access 2007 and try to open it, I get a user name and password prompt. The admin username and password from the other system doesn't work. Is there anything special I need to do? If I could I would actually love to remove this damn user-level security. Thanks Hi. > (mdw). When i move it over to a system that has Access 2007 and try > to open it, I get a user name and pass...

Active Directory and MS Access Object Level Permissions
Is there any way using AD to set object level permissions down to the object level in MS Access, the way it is done internally via the Access security workgroup? Does Active Directory offer the functionality to assign certain permissions on certain objects (tables, queries, forms, etc) within an Access database to certain users or can this only be done via MS Access internal object level permissions via mdw file? On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:55:42 -0700, mondalep@rfa.org wrote: No. You can do this with Access security only. -Tom. >Is there any way using AD to set object level permissions do...

Removing User level security from an MS Access Database
I have secured a database in a network ebvironment. The workgroup information file is NOT the default file and the database is opened via a shortcut pointing at the relevant Workgroupninformation file. However, one particular form (the most heavily used form)now takes an age to open - 2 minutes or so, although once in it behaves acceptably. I have tried to remove the security, following the Help topic on this BUT... When I try to import or copy and paste the forms into the new database, I lose all the code attached to the event procedures in that form (or as the error message su...

Converting Access 2003 database to 2007 with user level security
How do I convert a Access 2003 database to 2007 when user level security has been set in 2003? When I attempt it, I am told I have to decode it and when I attempt to decode it, I am told that I don't have the permissions. I can't find how to import the permissions from the 2003 Workgroup Information File. I seem to be caught in a loop. Any ideas? Come on folks. Somebody must have some ideas. Am I missing something really obvious? I thought you could just run the workgroup admin, butthat might not be on your machine. However, just setup a shortcut in a2007 that specifies the w...

MS Access 2000 DB w/ Multi Read Only Users + Folder permissions & the Lock File
Database Users need to have Read/Write etc... permissions to the folder where the Database resides in order to create the lock file. I have read only users. I have set up the Shortcut that links to the 'Workgroup Info File' with permissions for said database. Within this 'WIF' File I have "Read Only" user's who are only provided access to the DB only so they can view the data. Now if I give them full permissions to the folder where the database resides, what am I to do to keep them from going to this folder & opening up the database directly using thier loca...

ms access & ms project 2007
does anyone know if its possible to export your access data into ms project. if so, how should i go about doing this. i see an option in project to open access db but it still does not show any of my files. thanks much. bl -- brandon Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200711/1 ...

MS Access Multiple User access on NT Server
Advice greatly appreciated in in finalising setup for data entry : After splitting mdb should an MDE be stored on each local workstation and the data stored on the server? Should individual user accounts be setup - if so are there any specific requirements to be aware of. Does this eliminate user locking? Are there any other specific requirements necessary before users enter data? Many thanks in advance for any advice received. regards. "Heather" <precisionformat@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:c35cfc38.0308312333.1e812645@posting.google.com... > Advice greatly appr...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where...

multiple users' simultaneous access to a MS Access database
When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the icon is on her Novell NAL menu) she is successful in opening the database. However, when another staff member is using the database she receives the message that someone is using it and she cannot access it at that time. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to resolve this? I guess it would be a fix to allow multiple users simultaneous access to a MS Access database? Thanks in advance, Zuf Per zufie: >When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the >icon is on her Novell NAL menu...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

Possible to access MS Access 2007 password-protected database from Python?
Googling has shown me various ways of connecting to a non-password- protected Access database, but I was wondering if someone could point to code illustrating how to use an Access db that's password- protected. I haven't been able to find anything on this. Thanks, Ken ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing ...

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

Can't Add "Mode" to Quick Access Toolbar in MS-Access 2007
I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also have no button in the ribbon for this, or any ability to get into other modes via the Office button. It's very frustrating; I had to search online for a keyboard shortcut to be able to access Design Mode at all. I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it doesn't make sense. I can add and remove other buttons from the toolbar, why not Mode?? On Jun 19, 10:10=A0am, Heather <mywor...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also > have no butto...

permissions
Up to now I did not have to give other users access to my documents. Now I have the need for some of my useres on my Mac to access some of my documents (reading and writing). How do I do that? Am I correct in assuming it uses the usual Unix file permissions? ie I'd create a new group in Terminal, and assign accounts to it. Then I'd add the group to the respective files and enclosing folders and change group permissions. Or is there a nice GUI to do that? TIA Marc PS Using Mac OS X 10.4.2 (Tiger) -- Switzerland/Europe <http://www.heusser.com> remove CHEERS and from MERC...

MS Access 2007
Is there a place where all known Acc2007 bugs are collected? (Yes I found another one :( ) rob* "Robert S." <robsmiler@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:geps1r$hih$1@svr7.m-online.net... > Is there a place where all known Acc2007 bugs are collected? > (Yes I found another one :( ) Microsoft has a searchable knowledgebase at: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1 The bugs I am aware of (just Access, not interactions with other software) are listed here: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html#Bugs -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Aus...

Limit of users in Ms-Access?
Hi. In the ldb file you can see the users of the mdb-file. If you open the mdb-file your machine and username will be written in the lbd- file. Allthough you close the mdb-file your name won't disappear from the ldb-file, before every user has closed the mdb-file. I have heard that there will be problems if the amount of users will be over 10 in mdb-files. Is that true? Hannu hannu.lappalainen@niiralankulma.fi (Hannu) wrote: > I have heard that there will be problems if the amount of users will > be over 10 in mdb-files. Is that true? I presume you mean in the ldb file. I'm...

Access User Level Security
Access 2003 - set up groups and users (not using Wizzard) - tried moving directory with the database to different PC but lost all security - I guess there is a related file to copy but need advice- which file? where might I find it? "cowboy" <cowman@kingsgroveschool.net> wrote in message news:6c59f6a5-7460-4c3e-9670-3b4bff77e5fd@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com... > Access 2003 - set up groups and users (not using Wizzard) - tried > moving directory with the database to different PC but lost all > security - I guess there is a related file to copy but need advice- > wh...

MS Access Permissions Problem
I am trying to extract data from an Access database used by a commercial application. I need Read access only. The demo application uses default passwords for read and read/write. I am using "USER=ADMIN", "PW=admin" which should allow me to do what I need. But the SQLSelect below gives me an error - SQLSTATEMENT:[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Record(s) cannot be read; No read permission on 'TABLENAME' This happens with every table I specify. The same code works fine on other MDB files. And I can open the MDB file in Access 2003. It appears to b...