Using a .bat file to open an Access Database

How would I do this ... I want to set the Windows Scheduler to run the
..bat file which will open an access database at like 2 in the AM.  What
code do I need in the .bat file.

0
mdw233psu (28)

Matt wrote:
> How would I do this ... I want to set the Windows Scheduler to run the
> .bat file which will open an access database at like 2 in the AM.
> What code do I need in the .bat file.

Is there a reason you need to use a BAT file?  You should be able to just
use the command line that will directly open the MDB file.  Below is an
example of a command that I execute in the scheduler every day.

"C:\Program Files\access97\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
"C:\Documents and Settings\rbrandt\Desktop\SiceSerNumFix.mdb"

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
1/22/2007 10:50:03 PM
Rick Brandt wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > How would I do this ... I want to set the Windows Scheduler to run the
> > .bat file which will open an access database at like 2 in the AM.
> > What code do I need in the .bat file.
>
> Is there a reason you need to use a BAT file?  You should be able to just
> use the command line that will directly open the MDB file.  Below is an
> example of a command that I execute in the scheduler every day.
>

> "C:\Program Files\access97\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
> "C:\Documents and Settings\rbrandt\Desktop\SiceSerNumFix.mdb"
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

Can I schedule this?
How would I do that?

0
mdw233psu (28)
1/22/2007 10:52:50 PM
Matt wrote:
> Rick Brandt wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>> How would I do this ... I want to set the Windows Scheduler to run
>>> the .bat file which will open an access database at like 2 in the
>>> AM. What code do I need in the .bat file.
>>
>> Is there a reason you need to use a BAT file?  You should be able to
>> just use the command line that will directly open the MDB file.
>> Below is an example of a command that I execute in the scheduler
>> every day.
>>

>> "C:\Program Files\access97\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
>> "C:\Documents and Settings\rbrandt\Desktop\SiceSerNumFix.mdb"
>>
>> --
>> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
>> Email (as appropriate) to...
>> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com
>
> Can I schedule this?
> How would I do that?

Don't use the "Add Scheduled Task" wizard.  That is lame anyway.  Just
use...

File
    New
        Scheduled Task

....then open the property sheet for the new task.  In there you will see a
box labeled "Run".  You just enter the command in that box.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
1/22/2007 10:57:35 PM
Matt wrote:
> Rick Brandt wrote:
> > Matt wrote:
> > > How would I do this ... I want to set the Windows Scheduler to run the
> > > .bat file which will open an access database at like 2 in the AM.
> > > What code do I need in the .bat file.
> >
> > Is there a reason you need to use a BAT file?  You should be able to just
> > use the command line that will directly open the MDB file.  Below is an
> > example of a command that I execute in the scheduler every day.
> >

> > "C:\Program Files\access97\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
> > "C:\Documents and Settings\rbrandt\Desktop\SiceSerNumFix.mdb"
> >
> > --
> > Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> > Email (as appropriate) to...
> > RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com
>
> Can I schedule this?
> How would I do that?

My fault ... I did not see that you schedule it every day.

Thanks for the tip!!

How can I open access straight to the default form and bypass the
"Cancel ... Open" dialog so that I can run some code based on the
default form?

0
mdw233psu (28)
1/22/2007 10:58:04 PM
Rick Brandt wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > Rick Brandt wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there a reason you need to use a BAT file?  You should be able to
> >> just use the command line that will directly open the MDB file.
> >> Below is an example of a command that I execute in the scheduler
> >> every day.
> >>

> >> "C:\Program Files\access97\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
> >> "C:\Documents and Settings\rbrandt\Desktop\SiceSerNumFix.mdb"
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> >> Email (as appropriate) to...
> >> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com
> >
> > Can I schedule this?
> > How would I do that?
>
> Don't use the "Add Scheduled Task" wizard.  That is lame anyway.  Just
> use...
>
> File
>     New
>         Scheduled Task
>
> ...then open the property sheet for the new task.  In there you will see a
> box labeled "Run".  You just enter the command in that box.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

Thanks for the help so far Rick.

When I do this, I get the following error:
0x80070005 Acces is Denied

Is this a windows permission issue, more than likely restricted by my
employer?

0
mdw233psu (28)
1/22/2007 11:03:48 PM
You can use a bat file..and go:

start  "c:\path name to file\mydb.mdb"

You should ensure that the mdb starts...runs whatever...and the shuts down.
You need to test this.

Did I say you need to test this?

However, in place of a bat file, you best use a windows script.

Just paste the folwling into a standard notepad.txt

dim accessApp

msgbox "Click ok to run batch job",64

set accessApp = createObject("Access.Application")

accessApp.OpenCurrentDataBase("C:\Documents and Settings\Albert\My
Documents\Access\ScriptExample\MultiSelect.mdb")

accessApp.Run "TimeUpDate"

accessApp.Quit

set accessApp = nothing

msgbox "Job complete", 64

Now, save the file..and then re-name the .txt extension to .vbs. note
how the icon for the file changes. Congratulation...you just written your
first
windows script.

The above script when clicked on will now run. It actually executes a sub
call "TimeUpDate" that exists in a standard code module...and then now how
it shuts down (quits).

If you going to put the above script into the scheduler...then of course
remove the msgbox commands.....

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> You can use a bat file..and go:
>
> start  "c:\path name to file\mydb.mdb"
>
> You should ensure that the mdb starts...runs whatever...and the shuts down.
> You need to test this.
>
> Did I say you need to test this?
>
> However, in place of a bat file, you best use a windows script.
>
> Just paste the folwling into a standard notepad.txt
>
> dim accessApp
>
> msgbox "Click ok to run batch job",64
>
> set accessApp = createObject("Access.Application")
>
> accessApp.OpenCurrentDataBase("C:\Documents and Settings\Albert\My
> Documents\Access\ScriptExample\MultiSelect.mdb")
>
> accessApp.Run "TimeUpDate"
>
> accessApp.Quit
>
> set accessApp = nothing
>
> msgbox "Job complete", 64
>
> Now, save the file..and then re-name the .txt extension to .vbs. note
> how the icon for the file changes. Congratulation...you just written your
> first
> windows script.
>
> The above script when clicked on will now run. It actually executes a sub
> call "TimeUpDate" that exists in a standard code module...and then now how
> it shuts down (quits).
>
> If you going to put the above script into the scheduler...then of course
> remove the msgbox commands.....
>

> --
> Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0
mdw233psu (28)
1/23/2007 9:27:04 PM
Matt wrote:
> Thanks for the help so far Rick.
>
> When I do this, I get the following error:
> 0x80070005 Acces is Denied
>
> Is this a windows permission issue, more than likely restricted by my
> employer?

I believe scheduled tasks run with the permissions of "SYSTEM" in most Window OS's (not
sure on newer ones). "SYSTEM" has limited permissions - I don't believe it even has
ability to use a network. You can/should research this to verify the exact details.

The Task Scheduler entry should have a place where you can indicate an account that you
want the scheduled task to "run as". Most likely this will solve this error.

Did you find the error in one of the Event Logs? That would be the place to see the
results of the scheduled task.

--
'---------------
'John Mishefske

0
mdw233psu (28)

Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002
Hi everyone. I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following error "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..." Could anyone please help to resolve this issue. Many thanks. Joe. Use Access 2003 to decompile the database. To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share E...

how to access data iin a MS Excel file using database components?
Can we read data in columns from an MS Excel file? It is possible to use the usual database components in the Delphi palete to read data in an excel file? but how? ...

Reading an MS Access Database file on *NIX platform using PHP
I'm building a small web application for a friend using PHP. He'd like to use MS Access to keep the data in, and update the data on the site by FTP'ing Access files he edits on his machine up to the web host. The web host is unix-based (FreeBSD, slightly hacked by Verio, I believe), so this means COM functions aren't available. ODBC was my next thought, but I've never used it, and there are a few things I don't understand. Setting up a DSN is one of them -- apparently this isn't as simple as constructing a string, and all the tutorials I can find seem to involve ...

Opening databases with out MS access
Hi, I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have any ideas, please help. Thanks > I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and > what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without > opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database > without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an > executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have > any ideas, please help. Thanks You cannot use Access interface without having Access installed into your pc. -- PBsoft di Gabriele Bertolucci www.pbsoft.it skype: pbsoftsolution http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0001.htm *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Gabriele Bertolucci" <info@REMOVEpbsoft.it> wrote > You cannot use Access interface without > having Access installed into your pc. You can use (but not modify the design of) an Access database if you have the Access runtime, as packaged by the Office Developer Edition (pre-2003) or by the Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003 System. If, in your view, installing the Access runtime qualifies as "having Access install...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

Is it possible to open an Access 2007 accdb database in Access 2003?
I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Robert Hi, Robert. >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way >I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Sorry. "Unrecognized database format." ACCDB's require Access 2007. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials. Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com http://www.Access.QBuilt.c...

Using Access to 'access' an sql database on a webserver
Is this possible? I know about a bit about ODBC and found how to import an ODBC database stored on the computer, however I am after accessing an SQL database stored on a webserver. I'd like to keep it up to date, but that could probably be done with a macro. At the moment I'm just considoring possible options, so just need to know if it can be done, how easy and a rough idea of how. Any help would be much appreciated! Flic On 6 Oct 2006 03:59:25 -0700, "Flic" <FelicityP@gmail.com> wrote: I typically create an ADP, then connect to such db specifying the IP address...

Access database
Hi, I have Clarion 5.5 and I'm using ODBC to open Access database. I need to delete .mdb file after I read data from it, but I can't because file is opened until I exit aplication. I tried close this file using Close(filename.mdb), but nothing changed. Is there any solution for this problem? After your last CLOSE(filename), put this code: filename{PROP:Disconnect} You can use any "filename" that was previously opened. You need to do this only once - no need to do it for all tables that you had opened. This is in the documentation and help file, under "Databas...

open a pasword proteccted ms access database
Hi, So far I am using no pasword protected ms access database, now my client ask me to use the password protected one. Does anyone know how to do that using connection string? have tried just give the password only and blank on ussername but error. TIA "yanto" <yanto2000@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7dd63a1c-da3b-4a11-886a-f9dd8912e1a0@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > So far I am using no pasword protected ms access database, now my > client ask me to use the password protected one. Does anyone know how > to do that using connection string? have tried ...

Open Source Database as an Alternative MS Access?
Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an alternative to MS Access? TIA Dan <dan@nospam.com> writes: > Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an > alternative to MS Access? http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/Applications/Databases/140/ In article <4YnOb.91694$fq1.71625@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Dan wrote: > Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an > alternative to MS Access? http://www.rekallrevealed.org/ Dave Cook Dan wrote: > Is there any project team working on a PERS...

Web resources about - Using a .bat file to open an Access Database - comp.databases.ms-access