Using both IS NULL and IS NOT NULL in Access 2000 Pass Through Query (for SQL Server 2000)

Hello, I'm in the process of changing our 'normal' Access 2000 update
queries to Update Pass Through Queries.  We have a SQL server 2000
database and we're using an Access 2000 database as our front end.

In the criteria of one of our update query fields, we use both the
isnull(field1) and Not IsNull(field2) then Field3, otherwise, set the
updated field as null.  Here's my converted Pass Through Query :

UPDATE Vsel  SET
VSel.Cert1 = IIf(IsNull(VSel.Cert1), RenArch.Cert1),
VSel.Cert2 = IIf(IsNull(VSel.Cert2), RenArch.Cert2),
VSel.Cert3 = IIf(IsNull(VSel.Cert3), RenArch.Cert3),
VSel.Cert4 = IIf(IsNull(VSel.Cert4), RenArch.Cert4),
VSel.Cert1ExpDt = IIf(IsNull(BDACmpltDt) AND IS NOT NULL
(RenArch.Cert1), RenArch.CDDt),
VSel.Cert2ExpDt = IIf(IsNull(BOMSADtIssd) AND IS NOT NULL
(RenArch.Cert2), RenArch.CDDt),
VSel.Cert3ExpDt = IIf(IsNull(BDPMADtIssd) AND IS NOT NULL
(RenArch.Cert3), RenArch.CDDt),
VSel.Cert4ExpDt = IIf(IsNull(BOACmpltDt) AND IS NOT NULL
(RenArch.Cert4), RenArch.CDDt),
VSel.BDACmpltDt = IIf(IsNull(BDACmpltDt), RenArch.Cert1DOC),
VSel.BOACmpltDt = IIf(IsNull(BOACmpltDt), RenArch.Cert4DOC),
VSel.BDPMADtIssd = IIf(IsNull(BDPMADtIssd), RenArch.Cert3DOC),
VSel.BOMSADtIssd = IIf(IsNull(BOMSADtIssd), RenArch.Cert2DOC)
FROM VSel INNER JOIN RenArch ON VSel.SSN = RenArch.SSN

This is the original criteria in the access update query for line #6
(when I start to use both is null and is not null)
IIf(IsNull([BDACmpltDt]) And Not
IsNull([RenArch].[Cert1]),[RenArch].[CDDt],Null)

When I run this pass through query, I get an error telling me that the
IS Null function requires 2 arguments. I know the lines for

Can anyone help me with this.

I would certainly appreciate it.

JR

0
ILCSP (24)

IIF is an Access function it will fail in SQL Server, you need to use an
in-line case statement instead.

In SQL Server IsNull requires two parameters the first is teh var/field to
test the second is the value to reurn if it is Null, you test for Null using
var Is Null.

So your SQL becomes something like ...

UPDATE Vsel
SET
    VSel.Cert1 = CASE WHEN VSel.Cert1 Is Null THEN RenArch.Cert1 ELSE
VSel.Cert1 END,
    VSel.Cert2 = CASE WHEN VSel.Cert2 Is Null THEN RenArch.Cert2 ELSE
VSel.Cert2 END,
    VSel.Cert3 = CASE WHEN VSel.Cert3 Is Null THEN RenArch.Cert3 ELSE
VSel.END,
    VSel.Cert4 = CASE WHEN VSel.Cert4 Is Null THEN RenArch.Cert4 ELSE
VSel.Cert4 END,
    VSel.Cert1ExpDt = CASE WHEN BDACmpltDt IS NULL AND RenArch.Cert1 IS NOT
NULL
                                    THEN  RenArch.CDDt ELSE VSel.Cert1ExpDt
END,
-- ... and so on ...

FROM VSel INNER JOIN RenArch ON VSel.SSN = RenArch.SSN

--
Terry Kreft

<ILCSP@NETZERO.NET> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm in the process of changing our 'normal' Access 2000 update
> queries to Update Pass Through Queries.  We have a SQL server 2000
> database and we're using an Access 2000 database as our front end.
>
> In the criteria of one of our update query fields, we use both the
> isnull(field1) and Not IsNull(field2) then Field3, otherwise, set the
> updated field as null.  Here's my converted Pass Through Query :
>
> UPDATE Vsel  SET
> VSel.Cert1 = IIf(IsNull(VSel.Cert1), RenArch.Cert1),
> VSel.Cert2 = IIf(IsNull(VSel.Cert2), RenArch.Cert2),
> VSel.Cert3 = IIf(IsNull(VSel.Cert3), RenArch.Cert3),
> VSel.Cert4 = IIf(IsNull(VSel.Cert4), RenArch.Cert4),
> VSel.Cert1ExpDt = IIf(IsNull(BDACmpltDt) AND IS NOT NULL
> (RenArch.Cert1), RenArch.CDDt),
> VSel.Cert2ExpDt = IIf(IsNull(BOMSADtIssd) AND IS NOT NULL
> (RenArch.Cert2), RenArch.CDDt),
> VSel.Cert3ExpDt = IIf(IsNull(BDPMADtIssd) AND IS NOT NULL
> (RenArch.Cert3), RenArch.CDDt),
> VSel.Cert4ExpDt = IIf(IsNull(BOACmpltDt) AND IS NOT NULL
> (RenArch.Cert4), RenArch.CDDt),
> VSel.BDACmpltDt = IIf(IsNull(BDACmpltDt), RenArch.Cert1DOC),
> VSel.BOACmpltDt = IIf(IsNull(BOACmpltDt), RenArch.Cert4DOC),
> VSel.BDPMADtIssd = IIf(IsNull(BDPMADtIssd), RenArch.Cert3DOC),
> VSel.BOMSADtIssd = IIf(IsNull(BOMSADtIssd), RenArch.Cert2DOC)
> FROM VSel INNER JOIN RenArch ON VSel.SSN = RenArch.SSN
>
> This is the original criteria in the access update query for line #6
> (when I start to use both is null and is not null)
> IIf(IsNull([BDACmpltDt]) And Not
> IsNull([RenArch].[Cert1]),[RenArch].[CDDt],Null)
>
> When I run this pass through query, I get an error telling me that the
> IS Null function requires 2 arguments. I know the lines for
>
> Can anyone help me with this.
>
> I would certainly appreciate it.
>
> JR

0
terry.kreft (988)
12/2/2005 8:45:33 PM
Hello Terry, I did what you suggested and it worked out perfectly.

Thanks!

0
ILCSP (24)

Converting SQL Server 2000 query to MS Access 2000 query
Hello! I am trying to convert a query written for SQL Server 2000 database tables, to a MS Access query. Here is what I have in SQL Server: SELECT t2.*, CASE WHEN t2.QType = '3' THEN t1.Note ELSE CASE WHEN t2.QType = '2' THEN CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(100), t1.ANumber) = '1' THEN 'Yes' ELSE 'No' END ELSE CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(5), t2.Qnumber)+'.' + CONVERT(varchar(5), t1.ANumber) = t2.SubQ THEN 'Selected' ELSE 'Not Selected' END END END AS Client_Response FROM (SELECT * FROM ClientAnswer WHER...

Pass Through Query Nightmare (Access 2K --> SQL Server 2000)
Hello again, I'm still in the process of changing ms access queries to Pass through queries. We're using a SQL Server 2000 database with an Access 2000 DB as our front end. I trying to convert this ms access query to a pass through and I'm having quite a hard time doing it, so I hope you guys can help me. I have a clients form and in this form there are 2 combo boxes where a user can select a client's Type and Status. One for each. However, if they don't need to choose anything, that field should be Null. Here's the access query: SELECT tblClients.Number, tblClients.Type FROM tblClients WHERE (((tblClients.Type)=[Forms]![frmClients]![CLType]) AND ((IIf(IsNull([Forms]![frmClients]![CLStatus]),((([tblClients].[Status]) Is Null)),((([tblClients].[Status])=[Forms]![frmClients]![CLstatus]))))<>False)) OR (((IIf(IsNull([Forms]![frmClients]![CLStatus]),((([tblClients].[Status]) Is Null)),((([tblClients].[Status])=[Forms]![frmClients]![CLstatus]))))<>False) AND (([Forms]![frmClients]![CLtype]) Is Null)) The IIF part in the criteria AND and OR is the same. Since I have to check the value of the boxes first and the IS Null part cannot be equal to False, I'm stuck. I know I can't use the boxes values all the way through because SQL 2000 will not understand them, so I guess I have to come up with something first before activating the pass through query. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks. JR. I think this has bee...

Sql Server 2000 linked server to Access 97/2000 incompatability
We are experiencing a problem with Sql Server 2000 linking to an Access 97 file. We have two machines that link to this .mdb file, and we recently upgraded one to newer hardware, SP3a, MDAC 2.8, etc. The link on this upgraded machine no longer works, giving this message: Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' reported an error. [OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application.] OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' IDBInitialize::Initialize r...

Migrating From Access 2000 To SQl Server 2000
Hi, I have developed an application using VB 6 (SP 5), MS Access 2000 and Crystal Reports 9. I migrated from from access to SQl Server 2000. This wasn't a problem as i could import all the tables to SQL Server. Also, i could make VB6 talk to SQl Server. The problem arsies when i run my application. The sql syntax for access seems to be different than that for SQL Server. A simple example being: In access boolean datatype is true/false ,whereas in SQL Server the boolean equivalent is bit (numerical 1 or 0). These kind of issues are causing problems and most queries don't run. Would ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

Access MS SQL Server 2000?
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B4EB.13FA7080 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Hello Guys, How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I can use? Lennie De Villiers ------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B4EB.13FA7080-- Lennie DeVilliers wrote: > Hello Guys, > > How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I > can use? > > Lennie De Villiers > > Check sqlrelay: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/ I tested it a very short time only (I think with a MS SQL 2000, not even sure;-), so I can...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Access 2000 Linked to SQL Server 2000, openRecordset error
I'm trying to access data in vba using the openrecordset command. The data in on a SQL Server 2000 database, and I have linked tables to that data. the Table I'm trying to access is one of these linked tables, and my codes is as follows: Set vRS = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(tbl_DataCommentLog) when this line is executed I get the error: "Run-time error '3622': You must use the dbSeeChanges option with OpenRecordset when accessing a SQL Server table that has an Identity column. " so I changed my code to: Set vRS = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(vSQL, , dbseeChanges) Wh...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Re: Access MS SQL Server 2000?
Hello, Thank you! This page: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/sqlrelay/programming/rubydbi.html Show how to use SQLRelay with Ruby. Lennie De Villiers -----Original Message----- Lennie DeVilliers wrote: > Hello Guys, > > How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I > can use? > > Lennie De Villiers > > Check sqlrelay: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/ I tested it a very short time only (I think with a MS SQL 2000, not even sure;-), so I can't say more about it. Raph ...

Performance Issues
Hi, Simple question: A customer has an application using Access 2000 frontend and SQL Server 2000 backend. Data connection is over ODBC. There are almost 250 concurrent users and is growing. Have they squeezed everything out of Access? Should the move to a VB.Net frontend taken place ages ago? Cheers Mike Hi Mike, I just completed a similar conversion if that's what you're thinking of doing. We converted 100 forms, 60 access reports and 15,000 lines of code "TO" 100 forms, 60 crystal reports, and 75,000 lines of VB.net code. It was a nightmare. We spent a good 50 perc...

Update SQL 2000 Query (converting an Old Access 2k query to SQL)
Hello, I have the following query in Access 2000 that I need to convert to SQL 2000: UPDATE tblShoes, tblBoxes SET tblShoes.Laces1 = Null WHERE (((tblShoes.ShoesID)=Int([tblBoxes].[ShoesID])) AND ((tblBoxes.Code8)="A" Or (tblBoxes.Code8)="B")) WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION; The ShoesID in the tblShoes table is an autonumber, however the records in the tblBoxes have the ShoesID converted to text. This query runs ok in Access, but when I try to run it in the SQL Server 2000 Query Analizer I get errors because of the comma in the "UPDATE tblShoes, tblBoxes" part. I on...

SQL works in Access but not in SQL Server 2000 ! Why?
I am new to MS SQL Server. I have SELECT statement which works fine using Access 2000 but when I try to use this in SQL Server 2000 I get error. Statement works fine in Access 2000: SELECT Field1, Field2 FROM Table WHERE Field1 & Field2 LIKE '%keyword1%' AND Field1 & Field2 LIKE '%keyword2%' Error I get using SQL Server 2000: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14) [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid operator for data type. Operator equals boolean AND, type equals float. Does anyone know how to fix this? I would really appreciate ...

How can i use tclodbc to access the Ms sql 2000,and get data from it?
Can somebody give me the script? I will be appreciated for it. Q2:Can We use tclodbc to access the Oracle database? And how? ...

JDBC/ODBC user issues accessing SQL Server 2000 database
I have a SQL Server 2000 database which has been restored from a backup. The restored database contained a user called "X", which is the owner of all of the tables in the database. When I try to execute an SQL SELECT against any of the tables in the database (using the JDBC/ODBC bridge) I get an "invalid object name" error - it seems to be requiring me to prefix the table names with "X.", even though the ODBC data source has been set up with the user "X". If I use MS-Access to link to the database using the same ODBC data source I can see the tables - each is listed with an X. prefix. If I connect from the SQL Server command line using the X user/login I can refer to tables without using the X prexix on table names. The only thing that may have complicated things is that I used sp_change_users_login to associate the X user with the X login. Can anyone tell me how I can avoid having to prexix my table names with the user name, when I should be connecting with that user name? TIA for any help, Isabel ITM wrote: > I have a SQL Server 2000 database which has been restored from a > backup. The restored database contained a user called "X", which is > the owner of all of the tables in the database. When I try to execute > an SQL SELECT against any of the tables in the database (using the > JDBC/ODBC bridge) I get an "invalid object name" error - it seems to > be requi...

Why upgrade to MS SQL Server (be it 2000 or 2005) from Access (say, 97)?
Probably this question has been asked hundreds of times and yet net search has not generated satisfactory enough answer, at least, to me. And OK, let's assume your organization has more than 200 employees, just one measure to indicate that it's not small and data processing needs are quite extensive (for both OLTP and OLAP). We've heard so much about concurrency support, stability and performance. Are there any real persuasive paper out there to talk about it? Now, let me also put it in another perspective, say, you're a Microsoft sql server sales guy or gal for that matte...

ODBC problem with Access Queries to linked tables to SQL Server 2000
Help, I have an Access database with link tables to a SQL Server 2000 database. When I run the following query, it works OK: SELECT Format([Issue_Date],"mmmm yyyy") AS DateTXT, Sum([Current_State]='CANCELLED') AS Cancelled FROM ECNDetails GROUP BY Format([Issue_Date],"mmmm yyyy") However, when I try to run this one, it fails: SELECT Issue_Date AS DateTXT, Sum([Current_State]='CANCELLED') AS Cancelled FROM ECNDetails GROUP BY Issue_Date It gives me two messages: "ODBC -- call Failed" and "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '='. (#170)" I have checked the DSN for the linked tables. I have re-created all the linked tables. Both password and authorities are correct. So, can anybody tell me why the first query would run but the second wouldn't. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks. Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm talking about Access 97 ... boris_amj@hotmail.com wrote: > Help, > > I have an Access database with link tables to a SQL Server 2000 > database. > > When I run the following query, it works OK: > > SELECT Format([Issue_Date],"mmmm yyyy") AS DateTXT, > Sum([Current_State]='CANCELLED') AS Cancelled > FROM ECNDetails > GROUP BY Format([Issue_Date],"mmmm yyyy") > > > However, when I try to run this one, it fails: >...

linked server from sql 7 to ms access 2000 ... some tables not available
Hi, I have a linked server in sql 7 that connects to a ms access 2000 database. It has been working for a while, however lately, after we imported a large amount of new data, the database fails to query a certain (large number of records) table. I can query and get responses for every other table except the largest table. select top 5 * from linkeddatabase...table I get this error message. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForData (CheckforData()). [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation. Connection B...

Import XML file to database (MS Server 2000) using procedure (transact sql) ???
I must import some exemplary file to database (MS Srrver 2000) ofcourse using procedure Transact SQL. This file must: 1.Read the xml file 2. Create table 3. Import this date from xml file to my database Ps. I create procedure who File xml imports to base, but unfortunately she only schedule when earlier create a table or table is created.So I need (I think) create such mini parser in language transact SQL. Does someone have some ideas? For every help Thanks ==== example file xml =========================================== <root> <Cust> <IDosoby>1</IDosoby> <Imie>Lukasz</Imie> <Nazwisko>Przypadek</Nazwisko> </Cust> <Cust> <IDosoby>2</IDosoby> <Imie>Dariusz </Imie> <Nazwisko>Mroz</Nazwisko> </Cust> <Cust> <IDosoby>3</IDosoby> <Imie>Tomasz</Imie> <Nazwisko>Kolo</Nazwisko> </Cust> </root> =========================================================== -- Luk Not sure of the exact requirement. But if you can parse the XML and then using OPENXML shred it into a new table. SELECT * INTO <MyNewTable> FROM OPENXML (@idoc, '/root/') Where @idoc is the document handle of the internal representation of an XML document. -- HTH, Vinod Kumar MCSE, DBA, MCAD, MCSD ...

US-TX-Austin: Database Admin, SQL Server 2000, performance tuning, Access; 8M (45324357704)
US-TX-Austin: Database Admin, SQL Server 2000, performance tuning, Access; 8M (45324357704) =========================================================================================== Position: Database Admin Reference: SMC01703 Location: Austin TX Duration: 8M Skills: 5+yrs exp as SQL Server DBA in a web environment utilizing SQL Server 2000. 5+yrs exp in performance tuning, DTS, SQL Server clustering, Replication, and monitoring of SQL Server. 2+yrs exp working with reporting tool (MS Access, Crystal Reports, MS Reporting Services). 5+yrs exp advance MS Access knowledge and skills. 5+yrs exp writing, supporting, and optimizing stored procedures. 5+yrs exp supporting a multi-tiered development platform, and have a thorough understanding of performance and applications tuning, capacity planning, database maintenance procedures, and security strategies. 5+yrs exp in ASP.Net, ASP, COM, Visual Basic, VBScript, and/or JavaScript. 5+yrs exp working with all phases of the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC), including working closely with business analysts and software developer to ensure a clear understanding of system requirements. Microsoft's SQL Server 2000 DBA c...

Web resources about - Using both IS NULL and IS NOT NULL in Access 2000 Pass Through Query (for SQL Server 2000) - comp.databases.ms-access

Why Israel loves Donald Trump
... and why that's awkward for Israel.

Airbnb opens its doors in Cuba to visitors from around the world this April
Cuban tourism is about to get a shot in the arm: Airbnb has announced that it will welcome visitors of all nationalities to the island nation ...

Full Episode: GMA 03/20/16: HS Students Survive Devastating Bus Crash in Indiana
Paris Terror Suspect Admits Pulling Out of Suicide Bombing; Spring Cleaning Offers Opportunity to Start Fresh

IRAQ: Temecula Marine killed in Islamic State rocket attack
NBCNews.com IRAQ: Temecula Marine killed in Islamic State rocket attack Press-Enterprise Staff Sgt. Louis F. Cardin is the second combat death ...

What does Justin Bieber mean by this intimate Instagram with Selena Gomez?
Justin Bieber's giving us the feels. The singer posted a throwback picture to Instagram Saturday of him kissing his ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez, ...

After Salah Abdeslam's arrest, six critical questions
CNN After Salah Abdeslam's arrest, six critical questions CNN (CNN) A wave of relief swept through Brussels and the Belgian security services ...

Nico Rosberg wins Australian F1 Grand Prix
Mercedes' Nico Rosberg has won an Australian Formula One Grand Prix marred by a terrifying crash involving Spaniard Fernando Alonso.

Hillary Clinton Raised $30.1 Million Last Month to Beat Bernie Sanders
Last month, according to campaign finance reports, Hillary Clinton raised more than $30.1 million to be used in the Democratic primary—to be ...

Amy Adams Shines At ‘Batman Vs. Superman’ Premiere, Talks Strengths Of Lois Lane
As usual, Amy Adams has once again graced the public with her class and charm. On Sunday, the 41-year-old actress attended the premiere of one ...

Senate Republican leader: No lame-duck hearing of court pick
WASHINGTON (AP) — No Supreme Court hearings, no votes, not during regular business or a postelection lame-duck session, the Senate’s majority ...