Wanted - report writer to access ms-access databases

I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database
that is part of another package. I only want to report from the
database.

What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and
then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have
Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access
database through an ODBC driver.

Does anyone know what packages available?
It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with
their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I
was reading.

Please provide me with a list to start researching.
Thanks,
Joe
0
jnuhfer (1)

There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many
have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the
most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed
closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web
applications against SQL Server.)

Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create
your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them
with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the
Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET
Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003.

If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and
Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise
InstallMaster or InstallShield, and scripts that you can purchase from
SageKey. The installers and scripts are not inexpensive, but many developers
feel they are worth the cost in time, effort, and frustration saved. You
will still need the Developer Edition or the Visual Tools, in order to be
licensed to distribute the runtime support. And, if you have quite a number
of users, the prorated cost-per-user may not be great.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"trustme1" <jnuhfer@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database
> that is part of another package. I only want to report from the
> database.
>
> What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and
> then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have
> Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access
> database through an ODBC driver.
>
> Does anyone know what packages available?
> It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with
> their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I
> was reading.
>
> Please provide me with a list to start researching.
> Thanks,
> Joe

0
bouncer (4168)
2/12/2004 12:47:06 AM
If you have a version of Sql Server, you can download Sql Reporting services
for FREE... of course you would have to link the mdb as a linked database in
Sql Server, which is do-able.  I have used Crystal for years and this is the
only other solution I have even thought about for consideration.  Also, I
looked at Data Dynamics Active Reports (www.datadynamics.com) a year ago,
wasn't too impressed -- seems they are trying to follow in Crystal's
footsteps, and pricing as well.  Some people like them quite a bit though...

Sql Reporting services can actually send reports via email on a schedule in
PDF format, do caching, and allow you a web portal for report access -- all
free of charge for owners of Sql Server, just amazing.

Recorded web cast of the launch, gets incredibly interesting about 60% of
the way through...
http://mssql.digisle.tv/

Microsoft Official Link...
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting

--
Jerry Boone
Analytical Technologies, Inc.

"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
> There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how
many
> have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the
> most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed
> closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web
> applications against SQL Server.)
>
> Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can
create
> your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them
> with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the
> Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual
Studio.NET
> Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003.
>
> If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and
> Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise
> InstallMaster or InstallShield, and scripts that you can purchase from
> SageKey. The installers and scripts are not inexpensive, but many
developers
> feel they are worth the cost in time, effort, and frustration saved. You
> will still need the Developer Edition or the Visual Tools, in order to be
> licensed to distribute the runtime support. And, if you have quite a
number
> of users, the prorated cost-per-user may not be great.
>
>   Larry Linson
>   Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "trustme1" <jnuhfer@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database
> > that is part of another package. I only want to report from the
> > database.
> >
> > What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and
> > then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have
> > Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access
> > database through an ODBC driver.
> >
> > Does anyone know what packages available?
> > It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with
> > their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I
> > was reading.
> >
> > Please provide me with a list to start researching.
> > Thanks,
> > Joe

0
jerryb (12)
2/12/2004 5:26:46 PM
Why would you bother to find any other tools? Access itself is a great
report writer.
Since you just need to let users view reports I'd recommend data
access pages.

Use Access to generate the reports, save them as DAP, and host them on
a server in the LAN, users just need a web browser and Office Web
Components to view the pages.

For OLAP-style analysis, you can even put Pivot table/charts in DAP.

NB
0
nickbose (59)

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

wanted: database publishing tool for MS Access
Hi, is there a good db publishing tool available? I'd like to create a autorun cd catalogue with a huge ms access db in the background. Markus There's runtime support available in the Office Developer Edition for Office 2002 and earlier, and in the Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003 System. You can package with runtime on a CD... if that meets your criteria for "publishing tool". You can also create a report and distribute that with a viewer but it is not as user-friendly as providing search capabilities with forms. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "jam"...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Web resources about - Wanted - report writer to access ms-access databases - comp.databases.ms-access