Web Support in Access 97 Vs Access 2000

Hi:

I am the ?proud? owner of Access 2000, and have been using it for a while (with help from
this group). I now want to put some Access applications on the web. An associate told me
that this was "a slam dunk" ( to use  George Tenant phrase), because Access had all the
tools you needed built in. Well after a suitable struggle, I found that he was talking
about access 97, which had the following capabilities:

Wizards to save forms, queries, tables  and reports and Pages as HTML
Publish to the web
HTML Importing & Saving

I believe the last of these is still available, but all the web wizards in Access 97 are
prominent by their absence from Access 2000. My questions are twofold:

1. Why did MS pull these invaluable tools from the suite
2. Is there some add on that includes these tools that I could buy.

I don't want to have to invest in a big package to make a few mid sized web based
applications, but I would like some tools to make it easy for a relative neophyte.

Help and advice please.

John Baker
0
Baker.JH (231)

Access 2000 and later versions have the capability to create Data Access
Pages, which run on the server and are accessed via browser. They do have
some limitations -- users must be running Internet Explorer 5.5 or later
(other browsers will not work) and must have the Office Web Extensions
installed (those can be obtained, free, from the Microsoft website).

Do a little research on these at http://www.microsoft.com/office -- because
of their limitations, they are not for everyone, but are very useful for
modest applications on an intranet.

If it were me, I'd skip Access 2000. Either Access 2002 or Access 2003 have
improvements over Access 2000, but the Help interface, IMNSHO, is better in
Access 2002. And, given that it is not the most current version, chances
would be better to get a "buy" on it at the online auction sites.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"John Baker" <Baker.JH@Verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I am the ?proud? owner of Access 2000, and have been using it for a while
(with help from
> this group). I now want to put some Access applications on the web. An
associate told me
> that this was "a slam dunk" ( to use  George Tenant phrase), because
Access had all the
> tools you needed built in. Well after a suitable struggle, I found that he
was talking
> about access 97, which had the following capabilities:
>
> Wizards to save forms, queries, tables  and reports and Pages as HTML
> Publish to the web
> HTML Importing & Saving
>
> I believe the last of these is still available, but all the web wizards in
Access 97 are
> prominent by their absence from Access 2000. My questions are twofold:
>
> 1. Why did MS pull these invaluable tools from the suite
> 2. Is there some add on that includes these tools that I could buy.
>
> I don't want to have to invest in a big package to make a few mid sized
web based
> applications, but I would like some tools to make it easy for a relative
neophyte.

> Help and advice please.
>
> John Baker

0
bouncer (4168)
4/19/2004 9:37:07 PM
Thank, Larry

Does Access 2002 run over Windows 98?

John

"Larry  Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote:

>Access 2000 and later versions have the capability to create Data Access
>Pages, which run on the server and are accessed via browser. They do have
>some limitations -- users must be running Internet Explorer 5.5 or later
>(other browsers will not work) and must have the Office Web Extensions
>installed (those can be obtained, free, from the Microsoft website).
>
>Do a little research on these at http://www.microsoft.com/office -- because
>of their limitations, they are not for everyone, but are very useful for
>modest applications on an intranet.
>
>If it were me, I'd skip Access 2000. Either Access 2002 or Access 2003 have
>improvements over Access 2000, but the Help interface, IMNSHO, is better in
>Access 2002. And, given that it is not the most current version, chances
>would be better to get a "buy" on it at the online auction sites.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP
>

>"John Baker" <Baker.JH@Verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I am the ?proud? owner of Access 2000, and have been using it for a while
>(with help from
>> this group). I now want to put some Access applications on the web. An
>associate told me
>> that this was "a slam dunk" ( to use  George Tenant phrase), because
>Access had all the
>> tools you needed built in. Well after a suitable struggle, I found that he
>was talking
>> about access 97, which had the following capabilities:
>>
>> Wizards to save forms, queries, tables  and reports and Pages as HTML
>> Publish to the web
>> HTML Importing & Saving
>>
>> I believe the last of these is still available, but all the web wizards in
>Access 97 are
>> prominent by their absence from Access 2000. My questions are twofold:
>>
>> 1. Why did MS pull these invaluable tools from the suite
>> 2. Is there some add on that includes these tools that I could buy.
>>
>> I don't want to have to invest in a big package to make a few mid sized
>web based
>> applications, but I would like some tools to make it easy for a relative
>neophyte.
>>
>> Help and advice please.
>>
>> John Baker

0
Baker.JH (231)
4/24/2004 1:26:21 PM
> Thank, Larry
>
> Does Access 2002 run over Windows 98?
>
> John

It appears it will -- see the information at
http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=c199c1d1-26e3-4bf9-bd45-7198b44562fb&type=req

Watch out for word wrap on the URL.

Mine is installed on a machine running Windows 2000 Professional.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4168)

From access 97 to access 2000
Hi, My Delphi-application uses an Access 97 database called 'sysmex.mdb'. I'd like to convert this to an Access 2000 database called 'sysmex2000.mdb'. I succeeded in converting this database to the Access 2000-format (done by Access 2000). However, the Delphi application is unable to read the Access 2000 format. These are the values of the Params field of my TDatabase component: DATABASE NAME=C:\Sysmex\Sysmex.mdb LANGDRIVER= OPEN MODE=READ/WRITE SYSTEM DATABASE= PASSWORD= Changing the database name to C:\Sysmex\Sysmex2000.mdb got me the following error: Gen...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Accessing Access

Access 2000 vs. Access 2003
Is it possible to develop an Access app in Access 2003 that will run on Access 2000? Is it just a matter of selecting "Access 2000" from the Default File Format drop down list on the Advanced Tab of the Options dialog? I need to do some quick work for a client that runs Access 2000 and I've only been doing working on 2002/2003 projects since installing Access 2003 on my development workstation. Do I need to install Access 2000 on my development workstation? I assume 2000 and 2003 will co-exist without any issues. Thanks in advance. deko wrote: > Is it possible to develop an Access app in Access 2003 that will run > on Access 2000? Is it just a matter of selecting "Access 2000" from > the Default File Format drop down list on the Advanced Tab of the > Options dialog? > > I need to do some quick work for a client that runs Access 2000 and > I've only been doing working on 2002/2003 projects since installing > Access 2003 on my development workstation. Do I need to install > Access 2000 on my development workstation? I assume 2000 and 2003 > will co-exist without any issues. > > Thanks in advance. In addition to the file format you also have to avoid using any features that wered added in 2002 and 2003 that don't exist in 2000. Other than that you should be fine. Oh...and you won't be able to give them an MDE since 2003 can only make an MDE in the newer file format. -- I don't check t...

Conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000
I know little about Access. I have a program that produces school reports written in Access 97. When I try to run it in Access 2000 I keep getting the following error message - Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Command4_Click When the debugger starts the following line is highlighted - Private Sub Command4 Click Can anyone assist with this problem Thanking you Don Nethercott Don, Open your form in design view then click on the Code button in the toolbar at the top of the screen. It's the only colored button and is at the left of the Properties button. This opens the code module behind your form. Look down through the subroutines there. You have two subroutines that begin with Private Sub Command4 Click. One of them needs to be deleted. -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "Don Nethercott" <nethercott@kooee.com.au> wrote in message news:40bc6c3f_1@news.iprimus.com.au... > I know little about Access. I have a program that produces school reports > written in Access 97. When I try to run it in Access 2000 I keep getting the > following error message - > Compile error: Ambiguous name detected: Command4_Click > When the debugger starts the following line is highlighted - > Private Sub Command4 Click > > Can anyone assist with this pro...

migrating from access 97 to access 2000
Hello, What is the best way to do this. I have many off-site locations with access 97 back-end databases. If I wish to go to access 2000, and don't want to manuall upgrade the back ends to access 2000, how do I automate this? If there isn't a way to do this through code, do I need to install to a different folder with a blank 2000 database, and manually import each table's data from the 97 database? Or is there an easier way? Many Thanks, "ARC" <andy@andyc.com> wrote: >What is the best way to do this. I have many off-site locations with access >97 back-end databases. If I wish to go to access 2000, and don't want to >manuall upgrade the back ends to access 2000, how do I automate this? If >there isn't a way to do this through code, do I need to install to a >different folder with a blank 2000 database, and manually import each >table's data from the 97 database? Or is there an easier way? You can programmatically compact a database to a new version. However, according to the A2000 help using the DAO compactdatabase method ". You can compact newdb only to a version that is the same or later than that of olddb." But the ADO compactdatabase method will work to the A2000 version. That said it's no big deal if your users are on A2000 and the BE is in A97. Performance might not be quite as good although I don't have any concrete reasons for saying that. I would strongly urge you to re...

Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000
What are the most important differences between Access 97 and Access 2000? If I look at a book about Access 97, what should I be aware of when I work in Access 2000? Lisa One thing you need to be aware of is that Access 2000 requires a fast machine to get acceptable response times during development. I'm not sure how this works exactly, but I think Access97 saves individual objects as you work on them, whereas Access2000 saves the whole project. This can turn your delightful computer that easily develops Access97 databases into a horrid slow-coach that grinds its way painfully from save to save in Access2000, getting steadily worse as the project gets bigger. I have had to upgrade to a new Pentium IV 1.8 gHz - it flies thru Access2000. Ray -- Access Solutions for College and University Student Administration ETIK - Electronic Tender Issue Kit - Create and Issue tenders electronically and receive the responses electronically when clients use the free Response Kit. Grab! - Uses your PowerPoint files to create presentations on-the-fly for demonstrations, displays, queue distractors, Point-of-Sale information www.bluebridge.com.au Lisa Henkel <lisahenkel@monad.net> wrote in message news:43b0960a.0308150550.9cd15f0@posting.google.com... > What are the most important differences between Access 97 and Access > 2000? If I look at a book about Access 97, what should I be aware of > when I work in Access 2000? > > Lisa lisahenkel@monad.net (Lisa Henkel...

Access 2000 ----> Access 97
Witam, Mam pytanie dotycz�ce konwersji z access 2000 do 97. Na co mam zwr�ci� uwag� przy projektowaniu bazy w a2k tak , aby docelowo mog�a pracowa� w a97 (np. split itp.) Czy A2000 zawiera du�o ulepsze� (czytaj: bajer�w) , kt�re mog� potencjalnie popsu� konwersj� do A97. Z g�ry dzi�kuj� za odpowiedzi i pozdrawiam, Pawe� Sorry for mischoosing the language version of the newsgroup. U�ytkownik "Pawe� "eGEO.pl"" <biuro@geodezja.biz> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:cael6m$n9$1@news.onet.pl... > Witam, > > Mam pytanie dotycz�ce konwersji z access 2000 do 97. > > Na co mam zwr�ci� uwag� przy projektowaniu bazy w a2k tak , aby > docelowo mog�a pracowa� w a97 (np. split itp.) > > Czy A2000 zawiera du�o ulepsze� (czytaj: bajer�w) , kt�re mog� > potencjalnie popsu� konwersj� do A97. > > Z g�ry dzi�kuj� za odpowiedzi i pozdrawiam, > > Pawe� > > > ...

Linking from Access 2000 to Access 97
I have a database that I want to setup both an Access 97 and 2000 front-end to. When I link to the Access 97 database from Access 2000 I can't update/delete/or add data. I can only view it. However, when I link from 97 to 97 it works fine. Is there a way to make this work so that a 2000 front end can fully manipulate the data in a 97 backend? A2000 can have linked tables from an A97 mdb and the data in the tables can be edited, deleted and inserted. There must be something else happening. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://all...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

MS Access reports containing line charts are inaccurate after upgrade from access 97 to 2000
Dear all, I've encountered an unusual problem having just recently upgraded an Access 97 database to Access 2000 format and was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of a solution. 1. The problem: Essentially, a couple of the reports which contain SeriesLine charts are NOT displaying the series-lines (i.e. the results) on the charts correctly in Preview mode or when printed out. However, they ARE displaying the results correctly on the charts when the reports are viewed in DESIGN mode. 2. Background: -I have upgraded the database from Access 97 to 2000 format with very few changes. -The forms and reports are from the original Access 97 database -A few minor mods were made to the VBA code but none of this affects the reports. -I have checked the recordsets used by the charts in both 97 and 2000 versions and the data used is identical. Thus it appears to be something to do with how the chart 'object' is interpreting the recordset. The Access 97 database was using the following references -DAO 3.51. -Microsoft Access 8.0 object library The Access 2000 format db includes the following references -DAO 3.6 -Microsoft Access 8.0 object library Thanks in advance Nick J Sorry, A mistake in my previous post. The Access 2000 format db is using "Microsoft Access 9.0 object library", not 8.0 as previously posted. "NickJ" <johnsonn@unimelb.edu.au> wrote in message news:42df1572$1@news.unimelb.edu.au... &g...

Access 97 Converted to 2000 refuses to work on other PC with Access 2000
Hi I have an Access 2000 database which was written in Access 97 and then converted to Access 2000. However I cannot run the Access database on another PC with just Access 2000. It keeps on complaining as if it is an unconverted database or that I must join the workgroup. No workgroups were set in the original Access 97 PC so how do you know which workgroup to join ? I have tried the Knowledge base articles Q241141 and Q 241230 to no avail. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks Jozua ...

No access to .dbf files in access 97 after installing access 2003
Hello, I need to maintain an access97 database that is linked to dbf's, but after having installed access 2003, when I try to link a .dbf file to an access97 database, I only have access and odbc when the dialog box to choose the external table comes up. I tried going to control panel and change my office 97 setup. When I go to the data access option, dbf is grayed out with a checkmark in it and it states that dbf access is already installed. Yet, I don't have access to that option when trying to link my dbf table to the access97 database. Any way to get that option back on? Thanks! ...

Help: Install Access 97 and Access 2000
Sorry if this question was posted before but I can not find the FAQ. Anyhow, I am trying to install Access 97 in my computer where Access 2000 is already installed, how this can be done, so I can use both?. Thanks, Jaime Jaime, Search Google for this question and you will get more results than you like ;-) IMHO: You should install A97 first and A2000 afterwards (in different path) I have installed A97 in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office97\ and A2000 in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office2000. This way you won't get into trouble. Installing the other way around can lead to disasters as I recall from this ng. HTH Arno R "JJMM" <jjmm@ya.com> schreef in bericht news:beh1sm$10u$1@news.ya.com... > Sorry if this question was posted before but I can not find the FAQ. > Anyhow, I am trying to install Access 97 in my computer where Access 2000 is > already installed, how this can be done, so I can use both?. > > Thanks, > > Jaime > > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:29:50 +0200 in comp.databases.ms-access, "JJMM" <jjmm@ya.com> wrote: >Sorry if this question was posted before but I can not find the FAQ. >Anyhow, I am trying to install Access 97 in my computer where Access 2000 is >already installed, how this can be done, so I can use both?. The FAQ is posted here every week or so and the term "access faq" at google will net you a lot. IME it's a PITA to do this but install them in the order they w...

Mixing Access 97 and Access 2000 clients
Can anyone advise me of the probelms I might encounter mixing Access97 and Access2000 clients on the same linked to the same backend database. In other words, is this a very bad idea? No problem with Access, though there can be issues with ActiveX controls, or versions of additional stuff such as MS Graph. Split the database: - A97 back end mdb; - A97 front end on each A97 workstation; - A2000 front end on each A2000 workstation. Make sure you have the latest service patches, both for Office and for Jet. Assuming you are developing in A2000, it's a quick process to convert back to A97 ...

Records corrupt in Access 2000+ but not Access 97
Following on from an earlier post... I can reliably corrupt a record by doing the following ... Open two separate but identical front ends on one PC each linking to the same back end. Edit a records in one front end and leave it unsaved. Edit the same record in the other front end and save the change. Save the change in the first front end - this pops up the Write Conflict message to which I click Save. About 10-20 seconds later, all fields in the record are replaced with |||||||||||||||||||||||||||. Sometimes this causes corruption of the file, sometimes not. Obviously saving a change to a record in 2 front ends is not a good thing to do, but should it corrupt the record? What is the point of the Write Conflict box if one of the options corrupts the record. Strange thing is, this happens when the front and back ends are in Access 2000 format or when the FE is 2003 and BE 2000. It never happens when the BE is A97 format, whether the FR is A97, 2000 or 2003. Has anyone experienced this? Why should clicking Save in the Write Conflict dialog reliably trash the record? Any why only 2000+? Owen Jenkins Hi, Owen. > Has anyone experienced this? Yes. But it's very, very rare. > Why should clicking Save in the Write Conflict dialog reliably trash the > record? It shouldn't. But it can if one is on an unstable network, or if some of the workstations have incompatible versions of the service packs for Jet 4.0. And it's more prone to corrupt...

Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003
Hi All, Our company is migrating from Windows NT to XP and in the process from Access 97 to Access 2003. Due to the phased rollout we are faced with a situation where some users are still on NT while others have been fully upgraded, but all users need to use the same Access databases. At first we tried just opening the Access 97 databases with XP but we were worried that some of the less computer-literate employees may click "yes" on the "Do you want to convert this database to the latest version" prompt. The solution we have come up with is to create an exact duplicate of the database in XP but with all the Tables removed and relinked to the 97 version. This solution is working well on the whole but there have been a couple of instances where that database has required a repair. The main problem we are still having is that my colleagues and I can no longer make any changes to the database while there are any users in. Is this a setting which we can change? For instance, on 97 you could alter a form in the live database and then save the altered form......XP doesn't seem to allow you to do that. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks in Advance, John John, as you found, Access 2000 and later do a monolithic save, and there is no setting to override this. For other suggestions on adapting to the newer versions, see: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-48.html (The monolithic save is...

Problem with converting Access 97 to Access 2000
We're trying to convert the last Access 97 database in our department to Access 2000. The database is secured, and the problem is that the database owner hasn't worked for the department for years. So his account has been gone for a while, and the database no longer has an actual owner. We have a couple of administrative accounts, and they've been able to do what was needed to this point, but there are two tables over which we can't seem to get administrative rights: MsysModules MsysModules2 Because we can't seem to get administrative rights to these two tables, we can't convert the database. Does anyone have any hints for a way to force the Db to give us administer rights to these two system tables? (We've tried importing the data objects into a new Access 2000 Db, but it's breaking a lot of the forms, etc. I was hoping I could just get it to convert so I wouldn't have to figure out why everything is breaking when we import it.) -- Siobhan Perricone Systems Developer Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (my comments are my own, not my employer's) You may be able to create another .mdw file to associate the DB to use so that you can get to those items. CAUTION, you may want to work with a COPY of the current database when you go to create another .mdw file. If you're not comfortable with .mdw files (i admit that I haven't created any of these myself), but I found step to do so here: (see user TBArpi comments) http://216...

Web resources about - Web Support in Access 97 Vs Access 2000 - comp.databases.ms-access

Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act (or CLASS Act ) was a U.S. federal law, enacted as Title VIII of the Patient Protection ...

Rider killed in MotoGP support race
DOHA: MotoGP's season-opening round in Qatar was overshadowed on Friday by the death of a Tunisian rider who crashed in a support series race. ...

Roberts, Robach Show Support for #TeamZee
... America meteorologist Ginger Zee will make her debut on the premiere of Dancing with the Stars tonight, and it appears she’ll have some support ...

"My gut tells me much of the contempt for Trump reflects contempt for his working-class white support." ...
... primetime TV program. The insults don’t all seem good-natured to me. I grew up in central Pennsylvania, surrounded by the kind of people supporting ...

Utah Caucuses Poll: Ted Cruz Dominates with 53 Percent Support
Utah Caucuses Poll: Ted Cruz Dominates with 53 Percent Support

Oksana Grigorieva wants Mel Gibson to increase child support to $100K a month
... – not only did Mel have to spend a brief moment in jail for assaulting her, but he would have a huge settlement to Oksana, and child support ...

Paris terror suspect Salah Abdeslam had support network, official says
CNN International Paris terror suspect Salah Abdeslam had support network, official says CNN International (CNN) Investigators still need ...

Exit poll: Clinton wins 4 with strong black support
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump claimed Florida, the biggest delegate haul of Tuesday night's five Republican primary elections, by sweeping nearly ...

Samsung Gear S2 to gain iPhone support this month
Samsung’s Gear S2 smartwatch will get an update that adds iPhone compatibility by the end of this month, according to a new report. The move ...

Here’s Why The ‘Establishment’ World Should Support Donald Trump
Mass low wage immigration combined with the modern welfare state doesn't work.