What are my choices?

I'm in the middle of building a database in access 2002 for a client
of mine.  I just wanted to know what my choices were to make this
database accessable from multiple clients at once.

His network is a windows 2000 domain with about 8 workstations that
will use this database.

I read about an MDE file, but I when i tried to make it froze up my
system.

What are my choices?
0
ricky5764 (6)

The first and most important this is to split the front-end and the back-end
of the database:

Simplefied Concept:
back-end (BE) = tables, design does not change
front-end (FE) = everything else (code, forms, queries, etc...), design is
updated whenever you want it

BE should be stored on the server
FE should be stored on each personal computer

There is a wizard in access to split the database

Reason for this is to
a. minimise network traffic
b. allow more people to work faster on the same database
c. allow you to develop new FEs while people are still working

You can then make an MDE of the FRONT END if you want to, but this is really
not necesary unless
a. you do not want people to know how you made it
b. you do not want people to accidentally change, for example, a form
c. speed is a real issue (MDEs run slightly faster)

More questions???? Please ask.

---
Please immediately let us know (by phone or return email) if (a) this email
contains a virus
 (b) you are not the intended recipient
 (c) you consider this email to be spam.
We have done our utmost to make sure that
none of the above are applicable.  THANK YOU

access (386)
5/31/2004 2:53:40 AM
WindAndWaves wrote:
> The first and most important this is to split the front-end and the back-end
> of the database:
>
> Simplefied Concept:
> back-end (BE) = tables, design does not change
> front-end (FE) = everything else (code, forms, queries, etc...), design is
> updated whenever you want it
>
> BE should be stored on the server
> FE should be stored on each personal computer
>
> There is a wizard in access to split the database
>
> Reason for this is to
> a. minimise network traffic
> b. allow more people to work faster on the same database
> c. allow you to develop new FEs while people are still working
>
> You can then make an MDE of the FRONT END if you want to, but this is really
> not necesary unless
> a. you do not want people to know how you made it
> b. you do not want people to accidentally change, for example, a form
> c. speed is a real issue (MDEs run slightly faster)
>
> More questions???? Please ask.

Adding to your response, every now and then you need to distribute front
end updates because you've added new reports and forms.  Here is a link
for code when distributing the updates that's really quite slick.
http://www.fabalou.com/Access/AccessRants/trouble_with_access_4.asp

0
oil (4047)
5/31/2004 4:22:40 AM
"InDeSkize" wrote

 > I just wanted to know what my choices
 > were to make this database accessable
 > from multiple clients at once.

There's an introductory presentation on Access in a Multiuser Environment
that I did for my user group that you can download from
http://appdevissues.tripod.com. It will identify topics that I thought
worthwhile to discuss, and a bit more. The best collection of detailed
information and links on the subject of Access in the multiuser environment
is at MVP Tony Toews' site, http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm.

At "news.microsoft.com" (a free news server), there is a newsgroup,
"microsoft.public.access.multiuser" devoted just to multiuser (that is, MDB
and Jet database engine) environments.

As an alternative, you can use Access to create a client application for a
server database. There is even a free, desktop version (with some
limitations) of MS SQL Server that comes with Access. It is my observation
that developing such an application takes a bit more time and effort than
developing multiuser. There are advantages however, in scalability,
reliability, and recoverability.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4168)
5/31/2004 4:27:17 AM
Thanks for your help everyone.

I split the database with no problems.  Everything seems to be running
fast.  The problem that I'm still having, and I don't know if anyone
else has seen this before, is that when I click on Make MDE File,
access stops responding and nothing happens.  One time I let it go
over night, nothing.  Where I told it to put the MDE file comes up a
db1.mde file.  I open it and after a series of "file not found"
messages I get my first switchboard with no buttons.

I've tried this on 3 different machines, 2 different versions of
Office (XP and 2003).  So it's definately my database that doesn't
want to convert.

Anyone seen this before?
0
ricky5764 (6)
6/2/2004 6:16:39 PM
is it necessary to make an MDE?

I would compact and repair the database and close it before making the MDE.

---
Please immediately let us know (by phone or return email) if (a) this email
contains a virus
 (b) you are not the intended recipient
 (c) you consider this email to be spam.
We have done our utmost to make sure that
none of the above are applicable.  THANK YOU

access (386)
6/2/2004 8:27:46 PM
"WindAndWaves" <access@ngaru.com> wrote:

> is it necessary to make an MDE?

Other than click happy clients, no it's not necessary.  But access is
trying to tell me something is wrong in my database.  Repair and
Compact doesn't help.  I have a whole bunch of VBA code in it, I was
thinking there might be something wrong in there to make it freeze.
If it don't get it figured out, the client will never know, it will
act fine for them, and I will have job security when Joe User plays
with the forms and puts smiley faces in my VBA code.

Thanks though.  Anyone else seen this?
0
ricky5764 (6)

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

Ms. Access database problem
Hello, I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks for your help in advance. Orchid What error message? Did you try the standard compact/repair routine? Thanks for your reply! The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or locked." Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got the same error message. "Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112194542.469115.105910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>... > Thanks for your reply! > The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user > 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or > locked." > > Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under > Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got > the same error message. try deleting the *.ldb file on the machine that has it opened or locked. Orchid wrote: > Hello, > I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design > view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. > Is there any way to solve this problem?...

Web resources about - What are my choices? - comp.databases.ms-access

Choice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... style . The references used may be made clearer with a different or consistent style of citation , footnoting , or external linking . Choice ...

Merrick Garland is Obama's choice to replace Scalia on US Supreme Court
The US president selects a centrist widely respected even by Republicans in the hopes his choice will be considered by the Senate.

Ferguson happy to continue roller-coaster rise with Extreme Choice
THERE'S an element of luck in every racing story, whether it be good or bad.

Merrick Garland is a smart choice for Supreme Court
... did a Scooby Doo head shake when I heard that President Obama was nominating 63 year old Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court today. The choice ...

A stellar court choice that could have been better
If confirmed, Merrick Garland would be the fifth white man on a court that already has four. He&amp;apos;d be the fourth judge on the current ...

Haiti lawmakers reject acting leader's prime minister choice
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — A majority of lower house lawmakers rejected the interim president's pick for prime minister Sunday evening, leaving ...

Developers Choice Awards crafted a loving tribute to Iwata
Grab your tissues, folks. The Developers Choice Awards were held last night, and during the event, a special tribute to Satoru Iwata was shown, ...

The late Satoru Iwata honored by Game Developers Choice Awards
The video game industry lost one of its most passionate members last year when Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata passed away. He's been honored before, ...

Satoru Iwata Gets A Lovely Tribute At The Game Developers Choice Awards
... and CEO of Nintendo is still in the minds of many gamers. As such, he was recently given a lovely tribute at the Game Developers Choice Awards. ...

Merrick Garland, Obama's Supreme Court pick, is the wrong choice at the wrong time
I believe the timing of the president’s nomination is questionable. And I also have serious concerns about his nomination of Chief Judge Merrick ...