While using Shell to open a new instance of same database, using vbHide to Hide the new instance fails.

I have some long Excel routines that I would like to run from my
database in a hidden, second instance of the same Access db.

The macro I pass to the shell command to open the second instance
contains code to 'Hide' the database (from Dev's site) and also the
code which runs the Excel routine. It then quits the database when the
code has finished running.

Here is my code to open a new instance of my db:

NewDBID = Shell(AccessDir & "msaccess.EXE " & strFileName & ShellMacro,
vbNormal)

This works fine -- except that I get the flash on the screen before the
macro passed in the argument fires, hides the window, and begins the
Excel export routine.

When I change the Shell window argument to 'vbHide,' it hides the first
instance of the db(which fired the shell command) and brings me to the
main menu of the second instance -- not what I want. The first instance
should have the focus at all times, while the second runs hidden.

I would like to find a way to avoid this flashing when the second db
opens, just before the 'Hide' code runs -- any ideas?

0
midlothian (17)

Use New for multiple rept. instances conflicts w/ ControlSource on open
Hi all, This is actually not an issue of mine, but one a friend of mine told me about that I was able to confirm. Let's say you want a highly customizable report, so you want to be able to do things like specify the ControlSource properties of TextBox controls on the report when it is run. The only time this works is in the Open event handler, but that works great. So, no problem, right? Now, say the report is called rptFoo, and you want to open multiple instances of the report for preview, so now, instead of using DoCmd.OpenReport, you use something like Set mrptKeepOpen1 = New Repor...

[News] Open Database License is Out, Topocad Uses Open Source FDO Database Connection

Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002
Hi everyone. I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following error "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..." Could anyone please help to resolve this issue. Many thanks. Joe. Use Access 2003 to decompile the database. To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb" Then compact the database to get rid of this junk: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which usually solves the problem. This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, r...

create database and new instance
Hi guys I am new to oracle - I am a informix dba. I was experimenting and wanted to start learning oracle. I have installaed oracle 9 on my windows XP and wanted to create a new instance and a new database on it. Please guide me. On 11 Apr 2005 11:51:52 -0700, orclnewbee@gmail.com wrote: >Hi guys I am new to oracle - I am a informix dba. >I was experimenting and wanted to start learning oracle. >I have installaed oracle 9 on my windows XP and wanted to create a new >instance and a new database on it. > >Please guide me. After reading the document 'Getting started with Oracle', fire up the database creation assistant and follow the prompts. This forum is not intended to do your work. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA orclnewbee@gmail.com wrote: > Hi guys I am new to oracle - I am a informix dba. > I was experimenting and wanted to start learning oracle. > I have installaed oracle 9 on my windows XP and wanted to create a new > instance and a new database on it. > > Please guide me. First off ... learn the language. In Oracle a database is the physical files on the hard disk. The instance is the processes (or threads) running in memory. There is the ability to have a 1:M relationship between the two. Likely you already have both already. What you likely want is to create a schema which is a combination of a userid and password. To check whether a database exists look at Windows Services and see if you have services ...

Each time I use the Active X Automation Open feature a new Instance is created even if one already exists?
The story so far...   I am using the Active X features to create an event callback structure in combination with a queue to achieve an event driven structure. The initial registration is performed in  a Sub VI using a Automation Open dialogue  and after completion the reference is stored in a variable created at the top level VI (not a global). Afterwards each time I try to reconnect to the interface of the COM object (normally for communication purposes via a CAN Bus) even though I pass the original stored reference into the Automation Open dialogue, a new instance is created of the COM Object. Consequently, multiple instances of the COM Object are created resulting in loss of synchronisation between the COM object and the LabView Program. As a result when the Lab View program is terminated the a fatal exception error occurs crashing the program.   So my questions are:   1. How can I ensure that the same reference is used (either directly or via the Automation Open dialogue after creation and that no additional Instances of the COM Object are created? 2. Is it possible to create the initial instance of the COM Object in a SubVI (limited scope) and store the reference created in a variable created in the Top Level VI that has been passed into the SubVI or is the reference always destroyed on leaving the Sub VI? 3. What effect does the Close Reference dialogue have on the referenced insta...

Using MAKE-INSTANCE, INITIALIZE-INSTANCE and REINITIALIZE-INSTANCE
I am currently working on sorting out some bad mistakes that I made early in the design of the Monte Carlo simulation I work on and use. I'm increasingly needing extensibility and flexibility so I can change energy models and the like. Common Lisp has been very helpful for this, but I'm increasingly thinking that there is additional functionality that make things work even better. ATM, I use a couple classes for my work. One is a MOVE-TABLE class (which I subclass as necessary) that tracks the moves the MC simulation can make, and another is a STATE class (which I also subclass), whic...

determine which database in instance is using cpu?
I normally face a few databases in an instance, and it has always been straight forward to figure out which database that needs tuning. The other day I was asked to look at a system with poor performance and it turned out that there where about 50 databases in the instance, and no one seemed to know which database(s) that where at stake (I have no idea why the system is configured that way, but that's another story). DB2 where using about 12 out of 24 cores. What was interesting is that I had no clear idea of where to start, which database(s) do I need to look into? Fumbling ar...

HELP : Move old database in old machine to new database in new machine
What are the possible upgrade options for the following situations ? From(Old machine) To(New machine) ======================= ================ Oracle 8.0.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.0.6/HP 10.20 Oralce 9i/HP 11.0 Oracle 8.1.5/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.7/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oralce 8i/Solaris 2.6 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 5.8 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 8i Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i A. Background and limitations ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Data size: Vary from a few gigabytes to a few terabytes Down time: A few hours, such as 8 hours. Old/new machines location: Locate in different countries and connected by WAN. B. The way forward ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I am considering the following methods but I am not sure the feasibility and compatibility issues. Your expertise is sought. Method 1 : Export/Import ------------------------ Step 1: Setup the new blank database in new machine. Step 1: Export the data during down time. Step 2: Transfer exported data through the WAN to new machine. Step 3: Import the data to the new database. Concerns 1. I think it is suitable for small volume data because of time constraint. Method 2 : DBUA ------------------------ Step 1: Install both the old/intermediate/new versions in the new machine Step 2: Copy the datafiles to new machine during downtime. Step 3: Startup the old databa...

how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server
I am on Redhat Linux 9 and using Oracle 10G (10.0.1.3?). I know how to create a Oracle database instance and use EM database control to administer the database. To access database control from a browser, Oracle asks to enter a URL: http://server_name:5500/em The URL does not specify the ORACLE_SID. I however want to create several database instances on the same box. Will Oracle automatically set up a different port (e.g., 5501) for second instance. All the documentation I have found on Oracle's web site refers to a single database instance on a server. Appreciate any pointers. Thanks a lot, Prem You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid Control or DB Console. Jining Han Jining Han wrote: > You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your > database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid > Control or DB Console. > > Jining Han I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to access many instnaces on the same server using database control. Prem Of course you can, a DB Console for each database, and you can choose that as your preferred approach, too. But I really think it's a waste of resources and a big inconvenience. You are probably better off with the "tradictional" desktop console. Just my 2 cents. Jining Han <premmehrotra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

Removing the New Database and Open Database options from the Office Button
I have an .accde file with custom ribbons and with "Allow Full Menus" set to False, but the Office Button menu still gives the user the ability to create a new Access database, or -- much worse -- open an existing one. My application is on a terminal server and I'm trying to plug all the holes so the user can't do anything but use my application. But right now if the user goes to the Office Button and clicks "Open", he can navigate to the back-end of my application and use/change/delete the tables. Even if I use Access User Level Security (and I am), since the user is logged into the MDW file, he can do anything I've given him permission to do -- add records, delete records, etc. -- without any of the data validation, date stamping and logging I've programmed into my forms. Help! Under the office menu code, you should be able to hide it as follows: <officeMenu> <button idMso="FileOpenDatabase" visible="false"/> </officeMenu> Hope this helps, Andy "evenlater" <evancater@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6537bd3b-1cab-4e66-be8b-e3670aa8b4d8@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I have an .accde file with custom ribbons and with "Allow Full Menus" > set to False, but the Office Button menu still gives the user the > ability to create a new Access database, or -- much worse -- open an > existing one. > > My application is on a terminal server and I'm try...

Opening a new instance of Access along with the mdb
I have searched the forum and can't see where I am going wrong here. The first part of my statement works fine. When I add beyond the "&" it breaks ... not finding the file. It's there and it's named correctly. stAppName = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" & "S:\Shared\Access\mydb.mdb" Call Shell(stAppName, 1) Any ideas where I am going wrong? Thanks WJ Wild Bill wrote: > Any ideas where I am going wrong? There needs to be a space between the application name and the path to the MDB file. You've concatenated two strings together without that space. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200610/1 I swear that I die on quotes and spaces in my code. Thanks Granny S! Works like a charm. Now I can get rid of that nasty batch file that we are using currently. Cheers, Will Bill You're welcome, Bill! I'm pleased I could be of help. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200610/1 ...

[ANNOUNCE] NOOFS: New filesystem using a database
The NOOFS development team is proud to present the very first downloadable release of its project. NOOFS is a project which aims at creating an innovative file system, whose source code is distributed under the terms of the General Public Licence GNU. The project is developed within the framework of an end of studies project in EPITECH. The major goal of this project is to provide a file system storing its data in an SQL relational database. NOOFS is an experimental project which gives solution to the problems and limitations of the current file system. ...

PLSQL
Hi, Has anyone had any PLSQL codes to check for datafiles that are not in a defined set of directories. ie. there is a table that contains all the directories the instance has datafiles in. The PLSQL code checks each of these directories against all file_name in dba_data_files, displays datafiles that are found in the new directories. I can do this using extenal programs, I am only interested in PLSQL solution here. Thanks, Ky kydongau wrote: > Hi, > > Has anyone had any PLSQL codes to check for datafiles that are not in > a defined set of directories. ie. there is a table that contains all > the directories the instance has datafiles in. The PLSQL code checks > each of these directories against all file_name in dba_data_files, > displays datafiles that are found in the new directories. > > I can do this using extenal programs, I am only interested in PLSQL > solution here. > > Thanks, > Ky Why not something based on this? SELECT ... FROM dba_data_files WHERE INSTR(file_name, test_string) = 0; Then just test each string you want in a loop recording the results in a global temp table or an array. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) ...

Using a .bat file to open an Access Database
How would I do this ... I want to set the Windows Scheduler to run the ..bat file which will open an access database at like 2 in the AM. What code do I need in the .bat file. Matt wrote: > How would I do this ... I want to set the Windows Scheduler to run the > .bat file which will open an access database at like 2 in the AM. > What code do I need in the .bat file. Is there a reason you need to use a BAT file? You should be able to just use the command line that will directly open the MDB file. Below is an example of a command that I execute in the scheduler every day. "C:\Program Files\access97\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Documents and Settings\rbrandt\Desktop\SiceSerNumFix.mdb" -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com Rick Brandt wrote: > Matt wrote: > > How would I do this ... I want to set the Windows Scheduler to run the > > .bat file which will open an access database at like 2 in the AM. > > What code do I need in the .bat file. > > Is there a reason you need to use a BAT file? You should be able to just > use the command line that will directly open the MDB file. Below is an > example of a command that I execute in the scheduler every day. > > > "C:\Program Files\access97\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" > "C:\Documents and Settings\rbrandt\Desktop\SiceSerNumFix.mdb" > > -...

Migrating Database Instance to new OS Platform
Hi, If I have a cold backup of a 9i database instance taken from Solaris 9 running on a Sun Sparc server, is it possible to restore it to Solaris 9 running on an x86 box (Dell 2850). I'm fairly sure it isn't but have been asked to verify this. Thanks in advance regards John John, an x86 machine uses Little Endian format. If sparc is Big Endian then you have a problem. Even if both machines use the same bit ordering format Oracle does not officially support moving datafiles between non-compatiable hardware till 10g and only via rman. Use exp, binary FTP, imp and call it a day. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:01:29 -0700, Mark D Powell interested us by writing: > John, an x86 machine uses Little Endian format. If sparc is Big Endian > then you have a problem. According to 10g: select PLATFORM_NAME, ENDIAN_FORMAT from v$TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM where PLATFORM_NAME like '%Solaris%'; Solaris[tm] OE (32-bit) Big Solaris[tm] OE (64-bit) Big Solaris Operating System (x86) Little There is no explicit listing for SParc. -- Hans Forbrich Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com *** I no longer assist with top-posted newsgroup queries *** Thanks guys your help is much appreciated. Hi, My company's Unix admin tells me that he knows how to copy/convert files from Big Endian <--> Little Endian and vice versa. If this feasible? regards "J...

new user or new database
I have a DB with some users, each user has some tables. Which differece is there in the following two approaches ? 1) To create a new user inside the existing DB and make him to import a dump DB. He should see the dump DB as tables which only that user can own 2) To import the dump DB as new DB, so I would have two DB thank you for your answers Ale The answer is for you to have specific Schema's. Ale wrote: > I have a DB with some users, each user has some tables. > Which differece is there in the following two approaches ? > > 1) To create a new user inside the existing DB and make him to import a dump > DB. He should see the dump DB as tables which only that user can own > 2) To import the dump DB as new DB, so I would have two DB > > thank you for your answers > Ale Ale wrote: > I have a DB with some users, each user has some tables. > Which differece is there in the following two approaches ? > > 1) To create a new user inside the existing DB and make him to import a dump > DB. He should see the dump DB as tables which only that user can own > 2) To import the dump DB as new DB, so I would have two DB > > thank you for your answers > Ale One database ... multiple schemas. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:49:57 +0100, Ale wrote: > I have a DB with some users, each user has some tables....

Export table from old Access 2002 Database to create a new database
Hi , I'm wondering if there is a way for me to export some tables including data and structure from old database to a new database and then save as new database name. I try to create a marco and it create a new table within the same database. I would be appreciated if you can help me to create a code for one button that will export selected tables to a new database and then save as a new database name file. Thanks ;-) There's some example code here: http://allenbrowne.com/unlinked/backup.txt It creates a new database, and loops through the tables in the current database, writing them to the new database. If a table is skipped (e.g. currently locked), it writes that to an error log. It exports the data into the backup file, whether the tables are linked or local. It does not create relations, or set all the field properties. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. <learning_codes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1157413122.083228.93930@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > I'm wondering if there is a way for me to export some tables including > data and structure from old database to a new database and then save as > new database name. > > I try to create a marco and it create a new table within the same > database. > > I would be appreciated if you can help me to create a code for o...

Using Windows IDL to access a UNIX database using DLM's
Hey All, I am relatively new to using IDL with very little knowledge of in-depth computer stuff (compilers/linkers/etc.). I am trying to access a database using DLM's written by someone else (in C). I have spent way too long trying to solve the problem by downloading different compilers, looking into different linking issues and I still haven't accomplished much. My major issue is trying to get IDL to load the DLM and use it. I have added a IDL_DLM_PATH to my environment variables so that when I type "help, /dlm" at the command line it shows that my DLM is there. I then...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Verifying Access Version used for currently open database
I want to write a line of code to check the version of MS Access being used by my clients, some of which have multiple versions installed. I am distributing my application as an Access 2002 runtime, but want to know what they're running it on. -- Bob Darlington Brisbane Try: SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessVer) (and SysCmd(acSysCmdRuntime) to see whether or not they're using the runtime) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele Co-author: "Access 2010 Solutions", published by Wiley (no e-mails, please!) "Bob Darlington" <...

Using Oracle Replication To Move A New Production Database
We have been working Oracle Support to resolve an database problem that causes our application to present the "Do You Want To Save" message after an update 3 or more times to the end user before you can navigate to the next record or another screen. Oracle has been assisting us with this problem since June and resolution has not been found. This problem began after we experience a major crash in May that resulted in our production database being rebuilt by the DBA's at our hosting facility. A decision has been made by management to move the production data to a new database before year end. Since we are a credit card processing company, the database is available 24 by 7. We have created test database on the production server and moved the data over via export/import to see if we could duplicate the problem. The problem did not manifest itself. At this point, management would like to find the fastest way to rebuild 100GB database. It is important that we keep downtime less than 6 hours. Based on the research I have done so far, replication may be our best option. A new database can be created and offline instatiantions can be made of all the schema's required for the application. It is not our intention to replicate all of our tables, just the dynamic ones. Once the new database has completed the instantiation and synced with production, we can begin testing the new database. After testing successfully completes, we can schedule a cutover date. From what I...

Tutorial; Accessing MS SQL Database using C++!
hey! Im looking for a db tutoral which covers accessing a Microsoft SQL database on windows. I will be using VC++ if it matters. NO details just a basic introduction! Oracle DB access using C++ is also of interest! Thanks! -- Majk majk <msa_pub@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<BB7F5CCB.6D61%msa_pub@softhome.net>... > hey! > > Im looking for a db tutoral which covers accessing a Microsoft SQL database > on windows. I will be using VC++ if it matters. NO details just a basic > introduction! > > Oracle DB access using C++ is also of interest! > >...

Web resources about - While using Shell to open a new instance of same database, using vbHide to Hide the new instance fails. - comp.databases.ms-access

Tribunal de grande instance de Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TGI is found in the Palace of Justice on the Île de la Cité along with Court of Appeal of Paris and Court of Cassation . This site (formerly ...

Facebook At SXSW: More Than 1 Billion Instances Of App Activity Shared Daily
More than 1 billion instances of application activity are shared via Facebook on a daily basis, and a total of more than 400 billion open graph ...

Changed the AWS instance size on the Trex server from small to large, and now it runs much better. ;-) ...
... piece. The one that made the big difference came from my longtime programming friend Chuck Shotton. We increased the size of the AWS instance ...

The Instance - Podcast App on the App Store on iTunes
Get The Instance - Podcast App on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

An instance of the fingerpost - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Quite literally a fingerpost. Pelsall, Walsall, West Midlands. I had to drive past it to get to a meeting today. Great isn't it?

Buzzfeed Cans Editor After Uncovering '40 Instances' Of Plagiarism
... Editor-In-Chief Ben Smith announced his decision to fire the site’s “viral politics” writer Benny Johnson after finding at least “40 instances” ...

ACORN website allows Canberrans to report growing instances of cybercrime
A new website to fight cybercrime is set to save police an enormous amount of time and money.

Abbott's shift on settlements one more instance of secrecy
At least the Abbott government is doing its bit for the reading skills of journalists within Australia. Since there are fewer news conferences, ...

ACORN website allows Australians to report growing instances of cybercrime
A new website to fight cybercrime is set to save police an enormous amount of time and money.

Queensland Police are investigating several instances of looting in Bundaberg and Gympie
POLICE are investigating several instances of looting in Gympie and Bundaberg in the wake of flooding.