Windows XP Prof versus Windows 2000 Prof

Good morning-

I have designed an application using the following environment:
Windows XP Proffessional
Microsoft Access 2000

I am utilizing at the startup of the application on my Splash screen Dev
Ashish's code to maximize the window (fSetAccessWindow).  The Splash screen
then runs a routine to see if a newer version of the front end is on the
server.  If found, it runs a Docmd.Followhyperlink to a separate database
that also utilizies the fSetAccessWindow, opens a form that acts as a status
screen (copies the newer file in the background, copies tables to and from
the main database) and then reopens the main database file through another
Docmd.FollowHyperLink.

Everything works like a charm under the design environment exactly as I
programmed it.  However some of the users of the application are under the
following environment:
Windows 2000 Proffessional
Microsoft Access 2000

Under this environment when the user starts the main application the Splash
screen and the fSetAccessWindow function works.  The Splash screen then runs
the routine to find the newer version, and then follows the link the separate
file.  The file is opened and runs the code, however the form that acts like
the status screen never appears and all the user sees is the grey background.
Once the newer file is copied, the main database file opens through Docmd.
FollowHyperLink, and again the grey background with all the code running but
no splash screen and then no switchboard.  The user at this point has to exit
out of the database and re-enter and everything is back to normal.

I have issolated it to the OS.  Are there any work arounds or tricks that I
am not aware of that could fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Chris

Surveyor

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

XP Prof. Versus Windows Media Center 2005 on a VAIO FE11S
Hi, Besides the inability to join domains and have cached credentials are there any other differences between WMC 2005 and XP Prof. ? On a Sony Vaio FE11S, Can I have them both installed on a Dual partition? and will it work if Windows Media Center is installed first? I was told by Sony that XP prof. cant be installed on the Vaio FE11S. I cant seem to find any logical reason for suggesting that! ....Has anyone experienced such an anomaly? Also, has anyone had any experience with installing SQL Serrver 2000/2005 on windows media center. Im talking about SQL Server Developer Edition, not any other. Will there be any issues installing sql2k or 2005 on wmc 2005. Following are a list of development tools that I want installed on the wmc 2005: Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise Edition Visual Studio 2005 Enterprise Edition SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition IBM MQ Sever 5.3 ..Net Framework V2 Biztalk 2004 and later Has anyone got any knowledge of any issues in installing them on WMC Thanks for your replies in advance. D. ...

Windows 2000 Server "Opening" an Access XP Database?
Through the Access LDB viewer (MS tool used to "see" who is using an Access database) we are seeing one of our Windows 2000 servers in the as a "listed user." For those that do not know: A "LDB" is a file created by MS Access when 1 or more users open an Access database in "non-exclusive" mode. The "LDB" file exists for the duration of database sessions. During that time the "LDB" file cannot be removed. In detail: We start with a single database file (.mdb) and no LDB file located on a "Freshly rebooted" Windows 2K Server...

replacing windows xp with windows 2000
I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system preinstalled. Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem. The setup process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced by older ones despite the preference of the operator. Is there any way to get around this? If there is one I'd be very grateful for advise. Thanks. Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install Terry "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google...

Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP?
I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference and why? -O Ovid left a note on my windscreen which said: > I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference > and why? XP (Pro). Cause it's 2K with knobs on. -- Stoneskin [Insert sig here] On 5 Nov 2003 11:38:17 -0600, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote: >I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference >and why? I don't use Windows a whole lot. But when I do, my own preference is ...

Running TestDirector 7.6 SP2 on Windows XP SP2 with MS Access 2000
I am trying to install TestDirector 7.6 SP2 on Windows XP Sp2 machine with MS Access 2000 as database. All the software installs fine. I have IIS Server running fine. After all the installations are done, when I click the test director Icon, it successfully opens a browser and takes me to a local webpage showing all the links on the left. But when I click Test Director link, it runs all the plugin scripts and shows a pop up error message saying "RPC Server Unavailable". Also I do not see any test demo db under the left drop down. I see under Adminstrator tools > Services, all the RPC related services are running fine. Any help or pointers are highly appreciated. thanks "Seshagiri Koduganti" <giri2k@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:85a4aae5.0411030753.18c2c733@posting.google.com... > I am trying to install TestDirector 7.6 SP2 on Windows > XP Sp2 machine with MS Access 2000 as database. All .... [cut] ... I would advise you to contact Mercury support, they are very helpfull and always had an answer to questions / problems regarding the Mercury products. Another way is to look in the support.mercury.com site, in the knowledgebase, there you can also create a "service request" and get contacted by the support organization. Lars giri2k@yahoo.com (Seshagiri Koduganti) wrote in message news:<85a4aae5.0411030753.18c2c733@posting.google.com>... > I am trying to install TestDirector 7.6 SP2 on Windows > XP Sp2 machin...

Windows XP Prof on Targa Visionary XP; Problem with battery
Hello, i buyed my Targa laptop (Visionary XP) with windows xp home. I had no problems with any acpi drivers or else. But i had to install Windows XP Professional, for joining into the domain at my job. But now i have the problem, that windows always means, that the laptop gets its power over the power pack, also when the power pack isn't connected to the notebook. So i can't see how full or empty my akku is. Does someone have a solution for my problem? With regards, Sebastian Steiger ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being invalid. Only files which follow the old filename convention of names being 8.3 can be copied. Anyone have thoughts on why this is happening? Thanks - Tim ...

IWPM For Windows 2000 To work with Windows XP?
Guys, Have you been able to get this beast to work with Windows XP? When I attempt to run the install program, it says it "Can not write PATH Key" and then quits. I am in Administration mode on the PC and can write to the PATH manually. Is there a newer viewer then Version 2 Release 3 Build 20001004? Thanks! ----------------------- James http://www.fordaspire.com -Web http://www.fordtaurus.net -Web jpiper2@gmail.com - Email ...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com (Rakib Hassan) wrote in message news:<1a0a9065.0309020146.582df00f@posting.google.com>... > news:<60f42cdd.0309011214.6f20358a@posting.google.com>... > Hi guys, > you must got problems in sharing permissions.if it doesnt work then > make a dc(win2000)and make the xp pc its(dc's) client.i hope it will > work. check your registry settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Maybe there is a key FORCEGUEST, if yes, edit the value to 0 Just insert the XP CD choose preform other tasks and click set up network, follow the wizzard and it'll sort it out (worked for me) XP is against manual settings obviously. Do it with both machines (yes its legal, even recomended by MS - see wizzard) and you will be fine. Tarl ...

running windows 98/2000/me games on windows XP
Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP. Thanks in advance for your help! There is one for runng DOS, most games work farly good on XP... Jesus Hernandez wrote: > Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older > platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to > Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with ...

Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Firewire connection
Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking. I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit connection which works. I would like to try and use firewire as well. Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking? Can the XP drivers be used instead? Tanx Martin On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:34:54 GMT, no-spam@here.com wrote: > Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? > > Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. >...

Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Firewire connection
Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking. I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit connection which works. I would like to try and use firewire as well. Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking? Can the XP drivers be used instead? Tanx Martin On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:34:54 GMT, no-spam@here.com wrote: > Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? > > Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. > Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking. > > I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit > connection which works. > > I would like to try and use firewire as well. > > Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking? > > Can the XP drivers be used instead? > > Tanx > Martin Win2K does not support IEEE1394 networking. WinME and XP do support IEEE1394 networking. Tanx, I already knew that, which is why I was asking if there is a way around it. Either 3rd party softaware or XP drivers. Martin ...

dot1x authentication on windows xp and windows 2000 workstations
we're trying to test dot1x authentication on wired LAN and the set-up was already completed according to the cisco documentation on setting up dot1x for wired network, we've already tried to acquire ip address thru authentication and it worked, the problem is everytime we try to restart the workstation it already has the same ip we've acquired before we restarted the workstation. how can we make the workstation prompt first for auuthentication before it acquire ip address upon startup??? On Nov 19, 2:28 am, "acbgamir" <u39193@uwe> wrote: > we're trying to t...

Windows XP versus Linux (only a retard would use Windows)
Someone please tell me why Winsuck XP can't deal with networking like the current reigning champion Linux can. Case: Windoze XP is configured for the LAN using a private IP address. That LAN is connected to The Internet via a DSL connection. This Winblows workstation can connect to The Internet via the LAN connection as well as grab files off the fileserver with is on the LAN. Twist: The workstation has a modem configured to connect to a local dial-up ISP. Scenario: When I have a connection to the LAN and I dial out with the workstation's modem, Wincrash XP drops my connection ...

How to connect a windows xp box to a windows 2000 box
Hi, I have an older box installed with windows 2000 and a new box with windows xp. I would like to access my windows 2000 box through windows xp with a crossover cable. I was able to view the shared folders of windows xp from my windows 2000 box, but not vice versa. I may not set it up correctly. Anyone has a working procedure to share? Thanks, Wayne wwang525@yahoo.com (Wayne) wrote in message news:<4ce62911.0407201605.6f030ca7@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > > I have an older box installed with windows 2000 and a new box with > windows xp. > I wo...

Windows API ShellExecute in Access 2003/Windows XP
Hello - I'm currently converting all of the databases from Access 97 to Access 2003. I have been ftp-ing reports from one server to another. The code was written by Dev Ashish from http://www.mvps.org/access/. It worked very well in Access 97/Windows 2000 but then I tried to convert it over to Access 2003, the reports did not ftp over. We are still using Windows 2000 and will be forced to be on Windows XP with Office 2003. I have been searching to see if there are any differences with the Windows API ShellExecute code with both windows and office versions. If anyone has any knowledge o...

Windows xp Pro cannot see Windows 2000 Pro
I have been trying to solve this problem for months! I have 4 PCs in a workgroup, 3 are Windows XP Pro and 1 is a Windows 2000 Pro. The Windows 2000 PC can see all of the Windows XP machines. It can copy files to them it can share the printer connected to one of them no issues. None of the Windows xp (2 are sp2 1 is sp1)can see the Windows 2000 PC. If I ping the 2000 PC I get back an Ip address, but it times out. I have double checked the Workgroup name. They all login as administrator same password. They can all get to the internet using the cable modem connected to one of the...

HP ColorPro Plotter 7440 -- Windows 2000 OR Windows XP DRIVER
Are there any drivers that can be obtained to enable us to run an ancient HP COLORPRO PLOTTER 7440 on either a Windows 2000 or a Windows XP machine? Thanks! Scott.A.Smith@rogers.com wrote: > Are there any drivers that can be obtained to enable us to run an > ancient HP COLORPRO PLOTTER 7440 on either a Windows 2000 or a Windows > XP machine? Looking in my Printers installation in Windows 2000, there is an HP generic plotter driver for HPGL/2 plotters. The 7440 is HPGL/2. There is also a program called Winline that is a plotter driver for old plotters, versions for ...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003
This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who don't/can't subscribe to the microsoft groups. The original thread can be read here: <URL: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.jscript/browse_frm/thread/91bd7c8dfe3c8a9f/a80a764bfb34d2ee#a80a764bfb34d2ee> Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c03d3e49-b40e-4ca1-a0c7-cc135ec4d2be&displaylang=en&tm> Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81&displaylang=en&tm> Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows Server 2003 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f00cb8c0-32e9-411d-a896-f2cd5ef21eb4&displaylang=en&tm> -- Randy Chance Favors The Prepared Mind comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/ In comp.lang.javascript message <fZ-dnUyF3KVAA1nbRVn_vw@giganews.com>, Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:00:49, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtHome@aol.com> posted: >This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by >Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who >don't/can't subscribe to the...

os.system always opens new window on Windows XP/2000
Can anyone tell me how to run a bunch of commands in the same command line window? When I do this: system("command1") system("command2") .... it opens a new window for every system call. The alternative I can think of is to write out the command to a batch file and run that, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it. Partly it is annoying to have 20 cmd windows flash on the screen, but also I don't think it works if I do something like this: system("set envvar=hi") since I think the envvar does not persist once the command window is closed...

How do I remotely access Scheduled Tasks from Windows XP to Windows Server 2003?
How can I access and manipulate Scheduled Tasks in Windows using Python? I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows 2003 servers. It works great. However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the scheduled tasks (on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then manipulate those task settings. At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then be able to disable and re-enable those tasks at will. It would be better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that I could only disable selected tasks, but I'll any help I can get. Thanks, "kj7ny" wrote: > How can I access and manipulate Scheduled Tasks in Windows using > Python? > > I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the > win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows > 2003 servers. It works great. > > However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the > scheduled tasks (on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then > manipulate those task settings. > > At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then > be able to disable and re-enable those tasks at will. It would be > better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that > I could only disable selected tasks, but I'll any help I can get. > > Thanks, > Pywin32 comes with a ...

Access database sharing on windows 2000 PC
Having problems sharing an Access database on a Windows 2000 PC. The other PC is windows 98 (as I recall) but NOT windows 2000! The 2nd PC has a shortcut to the MDB on the primary PC. The MDB can be opened - 1 user at a time. The MDB Options - Advanced - Default open mode = shared Open databases using record locking is checked Default record locking = edited record The directory containing the MDb is set for sharing for Everyone and security allowing full access for Everyone. It appears that when the 2nd PC connects, it opens the MDB exclusively. Suggestions? Bob Bob Alston wrote...

Web resources about - Windows XP Prof versus Windows 2000 Prof - comp.databases.ms-access

The Windows Blog

Microsoft Extends Skylake Support On Windows 7 And Windows 8.1
... As part of the announcement, going forward, the latest processors and chipsets would only be supported on the current version of Windows. As ...

Skylake support on Windows 7 and 8.1 given a one year extension
Microsoft announced earlier this year that support for Skylake processors in Windows 7 and 8.1 would be quite limited: compatibility, reliability, ...

OS X and Linux threaten Windows' dominance in developer market
OS X and Linux are nowhere near as popular as Windows when we look at the PC market as a whole, but the two platforms are actually extremely ...

Xbox One will run Windows 10 apps starting this summer
The Xbox Store and the Windows Store will also be merged as Microsoft tries to rev up demand for both Windows 10 and the Xbox One.

The 10 Windows group policy settings you need to get right
One of the most common methods to configure an office full of Microsoft Windows computers is with group policy. For the most part, group policies ...

Microsoft Begins Windows 10 Rollout for Windows Phone 8.1
Many, but not all, owners of older Windows smartphones can finally upgrade their handsets.

Mac extends its lead over Linux among software developers, chipping away at Windows
... of what developers do and who they are in 2016. Desktop operating systems used by developers. Image via Stack Overflow When combining Windows ...