Blocking MS Access linked tables...

Good morning...

I have an Access front end that uses SQL Server linked tables.  SQL Server
uses Windows authentication.  I have one Windows group that all Access users
are a member of.  I added that group to SQL Server logins and gave it
public, datareader, and datawriter rights to the one database that's used.
My front end is locked down, but I want to stop users from creating a new
..mdb and linking SQL Server tables through DSNs or ADO connections or even
just importing the links from the actual front end..  I've tried setting the
"denydatareader" security policy - that keeps the SQL tables from being seen
in the import/link list- but also blocks read rights from the actual front
end database.  I could set an Access database password on the front end to
block importing the links, but that only solves one of the three problems
and I want to stay away from Access security altogether.

Is there a way to stop users from creating their own DSNs or connection
objects or linking tables while still using Windows authentication?

Thanks.

Matthew Wells
MWells@FirstByte.net

0
MWells1 (70)

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

Hello all Would it be possible to migrate the MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server 2000? My application is using MS Access 2000 as database and as user interface such as forms. Now, I want to migrate the backend database from MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server 2000. However, I want to keep the MS Access 2000 interface. Would it be possible? If I migrate the MS Access to SQL Server, would the queries, back-end VBA, macro, tables and forms be affected? Do I need to change the MS Access data type to SQL server supported data type? Which tool I can use to do the migration? Upsizing wizard or exporting the Access database and then importing it to the SQL server? Thanks in advance Cheers Bon This is somewhat easy. Basically you need to port or transfer your Access tables to a SQL DB and then link the Access DB/App. to the SQL tables on the SQL Server. If you keep the table names the same, the code etc shouldn't need altering, bu I would test it first. db55 wrote: > This is somewhat easy. > > Basically you need to port or transfer your Access tables to a SQL DB > and then link the Access DB/App. to the SQL tables on the SQL Server. > If you keep the table names the same, the code etc shouldn't need > altering, bu I would test it first. > If only it were that easy :-) Bon wrote: > Hello all > > Would it be possible to migrate the MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server > 2000? > > My application is using MS Access 2000 as database and a...

MS Access linked tables MYSQL
Hi Folks, im using MS Access as a front end to link to MYSQL. although this is possibly a MYSQL issue i thought someone would be able to help me. the error message "ODBC--insert on a linked table 'tablname' failed" is displayed when i attempt to insert records to the MYSQL table. Does anyone know of a way round this ?? im using the most recent MYSQL driver and i have only text fields in my insert statement. Is there an Access setting or permission that i must change thanks in advance CG <csgraham74@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1147726709.116174.41660@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > Hi Folks, > > im using MS Access as a front end to link to MYSQL. although this is > possibly a MYSQL issue i thought someone would be able to help me. the > error message "ODBC--insert on a linked table 'tablname' failed" is > displayed when i attempt to insert records to the MYSQL table. > > Does anyone know of a way round this ?? im using the most recent MYSQL > driver and i have only text fields in my insert statement. Is there an > Access setting or permission that i must change Some server DBs require that you have a Primary Key defined on each Table that you update -- I don't know if that is the case with MySQL. That should be a quick thing to check. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP You may be using a constraint in one of your fields (maybe a relationship between two tables). When you are i...

MS Access Linked table problem
Hi. I've got a strange problem with linked tables in MS Access. The linked tables are on SQL Server 2000, and the Access version is 2003. When any of the the column names contain a space, I get an "incorrect syntax" error. When the column names do not contain a space, the table opens OK. So I assume it's some problem with the ODBC connector. However, the ODBC version is the same as on another PC that can open the linked tables (same database) without any problems. Any ideas? Try wrapping your field names in square brackets. i.e. tablename! [field name]. -tc On Mar 4, 4:51=A0am, benb <Ben.Baw...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi. I've got a strange problem with linked tables in MS Access. > > The linked tables are on SQL Server 2000, and the Access version is > 2003. > > When any of the the column names contain a space, I get an "incorrect > syntax" error. When the column names do not contain a space, the table > opens OK. So I assume it's some problem with the ODBC connector. > However, the ODBC version is the same as on another PC that can open > the linked tables (same database) without any problems. > > Any ideas? ...

Re: MS Access 2003: Linked Tables
Dear Informixers, a while ago I posted a question about a problem linking IDS 7.31UD8 tables into MS Access 2003 using the Informix ODBC driver from I-Connect 2.81TC3. This driver is in the file "iclit09b.dll" in the INFORMIXDIR\bin directory and has version # 3.82.0.11811. In the meantime, I found that the ODBC driver from the previous Connect version 2.81TC2 works; it has version # 3.82.0.11600. Just copying the older dll over the newer one did the job. I still wonder why IBM/Informix cannot get their act together and supply ODBC drivers that just work. From sporadic postings in this group, I gather that even the ODBC driver from the newest 2.90 program suite still has problems, especially with Access. However, from the low number of postings about this topic, I assume that not many peoply bother using Informix's driver... Regards, Richard Richard Spitz wrote: > I still wonder why IBM/Informix cannot get their act together and > supply ODBC drivers that just work. From sporadic postings in this > group, I gather that even the ODBC driver from the newest 2.90 > program suite still has problems, especially with Access. However, > from the low number of postings about this topic, I assume > that not many peoply bother using Informix's driver... I don't use the ODBC drivers with Access so can't comment on your original problem. I somewhat agree with the sentiment about CSDK. We have a serious ...

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

Should I upgrade from MS Access 97 to MS Access 2002
Hi guys My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 for several years now. Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest version? And what does MS JET do? Kjell Arne Johansen MS Jet is the database engine that comes with, and is, by default, used by Microsoft Access. If you aren't having any troubles with the Access 97 database, then there isn't any technical reason to change. There may be company political reasons if, say, the IT department only wants to have one version of Access in-house. Another reason might be if you were concerned about getting support (error fix support) from Microsoft. Then again, when is the last time you had to call Microsoft support for this database? Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no... > Hi guys > > My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 > for several years now. > > Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other > parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest > version? > > And what does MS JET do? > > Kjell Arne Johansen "Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no... > Hi gu...

How to read MS Access Database Table Created Date
Hi, may need some help here. I am using Borland Delphi Dev 2006. I am able to read the list of tables names in MS Access 2003 database using ADOConnection1.GetTableNames, but I am trying to read the list of tables with their created/modified dates, appreciate some help here please. Thanks. Xan. ...

export sqlserver database to ms-access by sql script
Hi Is there anyway to export a sqlserver database to ms-access through a sql scipt only without using the sql enterprise manager. -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-general/200601/1 ...

Linked tables in ms access asking for login/password
Hi, I have an Access 2000 database, which contains some native tables, and some linked tables which belong to an ORACLE database, through ODBC. Using VB.NET, I am trying to fetch some data by joining two tables, one table native to the mdb file, and another belonging to ORACLE. I am using a connection string to connect to mdb file: Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=database.mdb;User ID=Admin; Jet OLEDB:Database Password=xxxx;Persist Security Info=True; My problem is that as soon i try to fetch the data, a window (not belonging to my vb program) comes up with the title "ORACLE ODBC driver connect" asking for ORACLE's username and password. Its the same screen which i get when i open Access database, and try to view one of the oracle tables for the first time. I don't want this screen. Somehow : - i want to store this info with access OR - pass this info through something like the connection string. User should not be able to see this screen. I would appreciate any help. anand saha Hi Anand, Nice crossposted, however this newsgroup where this is often the question is not in it. If I was you I would try it especially there. Adonet <news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet> Web interface: <http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/?dg=microsof t.public.dotnet.framework.adonet> I think you have more change there to get an answer that fits you. Cor "anand" <anand...

How to read MS Access Database Table Created Date
Hi, may need some help here. I am using Borland Delphi Dev 2006. I am able to read the list of tables names in MS Access 2003 database using ADOConnection1.GetTableNames, but I am trying to read the list of tables with their created/modified dates, appreciate some help here please. Thanks. Xan. ...

How to link fields in MS word document to Access database
Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an access database? What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in an Access database. I also want to later select the document (from a file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields from the database. Of course if there are then any updates I want to put them back into the database. Workable? Anyone with sample code? Bob Alston On Jun 10, 6:21=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an > access database? Hello Bob, Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information. HBInc. > > What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields > word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be > opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in > an Access database. =A0I also want to later select the document (from a > file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields > from the database. =A0Of course if there are then ...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval from dual; Where "test" is the name of an Oracle sequence. berj "Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:bp0821lsd8tt5ec5jhvtgbt46fdvb2t3dt@4ax.com... > The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link. Is that > how you're trying to do it? > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote: > > >How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to > >work. > > > >I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. > > > > > >What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: > > > >select id from emp > > > > > >I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. > > > > > >Any help in how to get this done, or pointing ...

Tables are skipped or export failed error occurs when upsizing MS Access to MS SQL Server
Hello All I got "Tables are skipped or export failed" error when I used upsizing wizard on migrating MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server 2000. I am changing my application backend database from MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server 2000. My front end is MS Access interface. When I used the MS Access 2000's Upsizing Wizard for database migration, some tables cannot be migrated. The upsizing wizard report states some tables are "Tables are skipped or export failed" and some are "updating report does not have unique idex". Could you telll me how I solve both of the problems please? My setting on upsizing wizard: check the index, validation rules, default, table relationships check the trigger radio button no, never use the timestamp create the link with the existing application Thanks in advance Cheers Bon ...

conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000
hi access gurus would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to be expected and how to handle it. also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, update and delete. thanx in advance, regards bala balkiicbe@yahoo.com (bala) wrote in message news:<b62a781b.0310080544.6d2a08fc@posting.google.com>... > hi access gurus > > would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms > access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to > be expected and how to handle it. > > also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms > access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, > update and delete. > > thanx in advance, > > regards > bala About the only thing that's seriously different when you upgrade from 97 to 2000 is that if you have any code behind your forms, 97 uses DAO and 2000 uses ADO, so the ADO library is registered by default in 2000. You'll just have to unregister it and register DAo 3.6 instead. Access should do the conversion for you... hi Pieter thanx for the information, well have used ADO in ms access 97 so i think the conversion shouldn't be a problem. take care and best of luck regards bala ...

#Deleted In All Fields When Linking SQL Server Table In MS Access
I have a set of tables in SQL Server, which, when I link in Access, I get all the fields displayed as #Deleted when I look in table view or the output of a query. However, when I walk the recordset in code, it is just fine, and it displays correctly in Enterprise manager and Query analyzer. Looking back in the archives there is some indication of a problem with respect to autonumber verses IDENTITY fields, however, even if I do SELECT * FROM Table it shows the same output, or if I make it purely read only, such as SELECT Name & ProductID as Info FROM Products, I still get the same. The code that walks the table correctly is: Dim db As Database Dim rs As Recordset Set db = CurrentDb() Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("dbo_Products") Do Until rs.EOF Debug.Print rs!ProductId, rs!Name rs.MoveNext Loop rs.Close I'd appreciate any suggestions or recommendations to fix this problem. Thanks in advance. ...

MS Access and Sharepoint: saving the username and password in a linked table
I have some linked tables that connect to a Sharepoint site, but every time they are reconnected they prompt the user for a username/password. I would like to embed the login into the application, just as you can for any other type of linked table, but I can't find a way to do this. Do anyone have any idea how to fix this? Also, this is new to me, so anyone has any experience of how well Access and Sharepoint perform together, I'd love to know. Thanks, James "James Beswick" <jamesbeswick@gmail.com> wrote in news:1139768590.875155.122430@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com: > I have some linked tables that connect to a Sharepoint site, but > every time they are reconnected they prompt the user for a > username/password. > > I would like to embed the login into the application, just as you > can for any other type of linked table, but I can't find a way to > do this. > > Do anyone have any idea how to fix this? Also, this is new to me, > so anyone has any experience of how well Access and Sharepoint > perform together, I'd love to know. This is the first time I've ever noticed anyone post to this newsgroup a SharePoint question. I have no clients who use it, nor any who plan to use it. What is it good for, beyond lining Microsoft's pockets with cash? -- David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/ usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/ It's a convenient way of s...

Linking table - MS ACCESS & MYSQL
Hi, I have linked a table in MS ACCESS and mysql. Intially, I imported the table from mysql into MSACCESS and the table has an auto increment attribute in mysql. When I shift it to MS ACCESS the datatype comes as an number. I would like it to appear as an autonumber so that I can create a form that a user would use w/ the linked table and the number increases automatically and it can pass to mysql. I would really appreciate some advice from you on how I can go about this. I am really lost and have tried a variety of methods but no luck so far. Best wishes, smriti ...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

command line utility for displaying table names of MS Access database
Can anyone point me to an existing utility or code template to write a utility? I want a command line utility, passing in the MDB filename, producing a file (text or whatever) of tablenames and fieldnames. On 10 Feb 2007 12:57:39 -0800, stephen.anderson@va.gov wrote: If I really wanted a command-line utility, I might consider creating a VBScript file (*.vbs by default) and running that using cscript.exe: cscript c:\test.vbs -i:c:\test.mdb -o:c:\test.txt I think the VBScript file can handle commandline arguments. From that point, I would use DAO or ADOX to get the table information. Those objects would be created using CreateObject. The FileSystemObject can be used to create the output file. -Tom. >Can anyone point me to an existing utility or code template to write a >utility? I want a command line utility, passing in the MDB filename, >producing a file (text or whatever) of tablenames and fieldnames. ...

Web resources about - Blocking MS Access linked tables... - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Blocking (textile arts) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In knitting , crochet and other textile arts , blocking is a final stage of handmade textile production that adjusts the shape of the finished ...

Oregon To Consider Bill Blocking Employers From Demanding Applicants’ Facebook Passwords
The Oregon House of Representatives will hear a bill Friday that would prevent employers from demanding that job applicants reveal their passwords ...

Is your B2B company blocking Facebook? Do this
One in five American employees are unable to access Facebook at work due to technical restrictions put in place by their employer, according ...

What FCC's enforcement advisory on Wi-Fi blocking could mean for the WLAN industry?
I wonder what other WLAN pro&#39;s thoughts are about yesterdays enforcement advisory regarding Wi-Fi blocking. I have already posted my initial ...

Focus by Firefox - content blocking & tracking protection for your mobile browser on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Focus by Firefox - content blocking & tracking protection for your ...

Get off the bus, join us! banner blocking Apple bus on Valencia at 24th - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Copyright 2013 Do not use without permission (srhodes at gmail) Photos also available at www.demotix.com/news/3543244/protest-blocks-apple-bus-san... ...

Rand Paul on Blocking the Patriot Act, GOP Hawks, and Edward Snowden - YouTube
Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) has had a busy couple of months. In April the junior senator from Kentucky announced that he was officially running for ...

Browser plug-ins to dodge geo-blocking
If you want to trick foreign video services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer into thinking you're a local, try a simple web browser plug-in.

Australian senate passes controversial anti-piracy, website-blocking laws
... anti-piracy laws pass. In the eyes of at least one intellectual property academic, the passing of controversial anti-piracy website-blocking ...