checklist for moving a database from one server to another?

Hi all. I know that since you know nothing about my database it will
be a stretch to answer this - but does anyone have a boiler plate
checklist for moving a database, dts packages, agent jobs, etc...from
one server to another? Maybe something that just says I should at
least do x,y,z.

Also if anyone out there has any hard won experience/advice about
gotchas when doing this I would love to hear it. We have outgrown a
server and are installing a new one this week that we need to move
over to.

Thanks!
0
emebohw (59)

Hi

This has all you need!!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314546

John

"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<071Ec.5492$vP4.59753611@news-text.cableinet.net>...
> Hi
>
> This has all you need!!
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314546
>
> John

You werent kidding! Thats exactly what I need! Thanks!
0
emebohw (59)

RE: moving a database from one server to another.
How is the machine currently being archived? Have you considered just doing a straight restore from an archive? Same OS/same IDS disks set up the same so same chunks available. Unless you have very good reason to need to reorganise the data this appears to cry out for a quick and simple ontape -r. Keith -> -----Original Message----- -> From: spamfreeemail@despammed.com -> [mailto:spamfreeemail@despammed.com] -> Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:50 PM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: moving a database from one server to another. -> -> -> NT 4.0, IDS 7.3 -> -> Hi all I'm moving a small database (4gb) from one server to -> another as -> a favour to a mate. -> -> I'm savvy with IDS on Unix but have never used it on Windows. -> -> The database doesn't have any blobs. And the source and target -> operating systems and Informix versions are identical. The target -> machine has much more disk and memory. -> -> Looking through the manual it looks a little different to Unix. -> -> May I ask you a few questions? (Pardon my ignorance in advance). -> -> Should I use onunload/ onload or dbexport/dbimport? -> -> Do I need to run these commands through a command shell or is there a -> nice menu driven system to use? -> -> Do I need to specify tape block sizes or does the block size default? -> -> Are there any "undocu...

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files, redologs. Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work" for recent month to the second server: dbf files control files and redo logs. Then start new server on right? Is it all I have to do? Or I will meet any problems? Regards On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote: >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... >on left and hardware the same server on right > >SUN server SUN server >Solaris >Oracle database > >And now. >Left server is working. >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all >filesystems. >After that server and database were operating back for one month. >Now. >I have second SUN identical server on the right. ...

Moving Progress database from one SCO server to another.
Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an old SCO 5.0.4 server running a warehouse/distribution app using Progress. They have a newer server on which they have installed SCO 5.0.7 and copied the Progress files over. They say they can open the Progress application on the new server, but if they try to input data, it freezes. Is it possible to simply copy Progress over like that and expect it to work? If so, then maybe this is a permissions problem? TIA Al AB typed (on Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:03:57PM -0700): | Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an...

moving oracle database 9 from another computer to another one
hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another computer to another one, and i need also to place the database in the same directory in the new pc as it was in the old pc. what is the best way to do this? please try to explain point by point. thank you! "noumian" <n.noumia@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1e751a0c-d5ca-4f2c-a126-d97ad842da61@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. > i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another computer > to another one, and i need also to place the database in the same > directory in the new pc as it was in the old pc. > what is the best way to do this? please try to explain point by point. > thank you! The basic steps are: install oracle on the new computer (must be the same OS!), patched to exactly same level, e.g. Oracle 9.2.0.7 with opatch 1234 installed copy the files (redologs, control files, database files, temp files) create instance configure sqlnet (listener.ora, tnsnames.ora etc) I would recommend that you do hire an Oracle DBA to the move. -- Terry Dykstra On Dec 19, 12:41 pm, noumian <n.nou...@gmail.com> wrote: > hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. > i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another computer > to another one, and i need also to place the database in the same > directory in the ne...

copying data from one database to another database
I want to copy data from our production database to the development database. I want to move only the data. I do not need the table structure, constrains or anything else. I think I can use the db2move command to export out all the data like the following: db2move dbname export -tc schema1 When I load the data into our development database, will it recreate the tables? My problem is that I do not want to recreate the structure. I want to make sure that I am copying over only the data. Is db2move the best utility to move the data between two databases without making any stru...

Using Objects from one database in another database
I've looked around here to see if this can be done, but haven't found the answer. Here is what I want to do... I have a two databases -- One for Sales and one for Operations. These are used by two groups of people with some obvious overlap (like the boss, for example). Some of the data is the same, so I'm using only one backend database file to hold the data. However, I want to have one piece (projects) from the Operations database to also be used in the sales database. The projects piece of it consists of several forms, subforms, reports, queries, code, etc. To cut down on maintenance (so without actually importing) I want to be able to use those forms, subforms, etc. in the Sales database, exactly as they are in the Operations database. Is there a way to do this so that any changes made in the Operations database are also reflected in the Sales database? I've never created Add-ins before, but before I go trying to make this happen, is this the way I need to go? Would this even work? I guess what I'm saying is I want to link code, forms, reports, etc. just like I can link tables. Any ideas? ...

How to move Oracle Express 10 database form one machine to another one.
It seems the backup and restore method does not work. On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:54 -0700, Amber wrote: > It seems the backup and restore method does not work. Have you tried bioenery methods or just beaming the database up? -- Mladen Gogala http://mgogala.byethost5.com On Apr 17, 2:57=A0pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:54 -0700, Amber wrote: > > It seems the backup and restore method does not work. > > Have you tried bioenery methods or just beaming the database up? > > -- > Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.byethost5.com I am sorry for my poor english and little exprence about oracle, can you expain it clearly. Amber schrieb: > On Apr 17, 2:57 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog...@yahoo.com> wrote: >> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:54 -0700, Amber wrote: >>> It seems the backup and restore method does not work. >> Have you tried bioenery methods or just beaming the database up? >> >> -- >> Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.byethost5.com > > I am sorry for my poor english and little exprence about oracle, can > you expain it clearly. In general backup and restore of Oracle databases (for all editions i am aware of - including Oracle XE) works pretty well, including the scenario of restore to different host. The process itself is well documented and can be looked up here http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25329_01/doc/admin.102/b25107/backrest.htm#sthref416 htt...

Using Objects from one database in another database #2
[...]

To retrive a table from one database to and another database(same table)
hi i have emp table in one database , how to retrieve same table another database through query analizer give code ,,, Hi, use the three part notation: SELECT * FROM database.owner.Objectname (replace owner by schema for SQL2k5) HTH, Jens Suessmeyer. --- http://www.sqlserver2005.de --- Hi surya While the first database is "Current" as would result from: Use FirstDatabaseName select * from OtherDatabaseName..Emp -- -Dick Christoph "surya" <suryaitha@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142588469.061525.268810@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > hi > i have emp table in one database , how to retrieve same table another > database > through query analizer > give code ,,, > ...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

Moving tables from one database to another
Ok I have a database application that collects data from sources and procudes output tables. Once created these tables need to be moved to other databases. Do I... a) have to do it manually? b) write some SQL to write the data to the other database (created in code first) c) use commands as yet unknown to me to transfer the data across seamlessly. Any good ideas? Thanks, Rob. On 16 Jun 2006 06:18:49 -0700, "dkintheuk" <rmcgregor@firenet.uk.com> wrote: Check out the TransferDatabase method in the Help file. -Tom. >Ok I have a database application that collects data from sources and >procudes output tables. > >Once created these tables need to be moved to other databases. > >Do I... > >a) have to do it manually? >b) write some SQL to write the data to the other database (created in >code first) >c) use commands as yet unknown to me to transfer the data across >seamlessly. > >Any good ideas? > >Thanks, > >Rob. Also, consider linking these table to the other databases unless you're concerned about the other db users screwing up the data. dkintheuk wrote: >Ok I have a database application that collects data from sources and >procudes output tables. > >Once created these tables need to be moved to other databases. > >Do I... > >a) have to do it manually? >b) write some SQL to write the data to the other database (created in >code first) >c) use commands as yet un...

How to keep update one Mysql database with another MySQL database?
I have two Mysql databases. One is the master and the other is slave. I need to keep update with slave database to keep some tables the same as master database. The first idea in my mind is to write a php script to read datas from these tables and write into slave database. But I still think it is a little complex to judge which code I need to write into slave databse. So, any good idea to do this job? Any tool I can use? -- Water Lin http://blog.waterlin.org Water Lin wrote: > I have two Mysql databases. One is the master and the other is slave. > > I need to keep update wi...

How do I reference a table in one database from a SQL script running in another database?
I am construvcting a number of databases, some of which contain sensitive data and most of which do not. I am attempting to handle the security issues involved in protecting sensitive data in part by putting it in its own database. If the sensitive data is in a database called d_SensitiveData, and in that database there is a table called 't_A' (I know, not very informative, but this is only a trivially simple example :-), and I have a script running in a database 'NotSensitiveData' (i.e. there is a statement at the beginning of the script "USE NotSensitiveData"), how do I referenece the primary key in table 'A'? I tried a variety of things like: ALTER TABLE t_nsX ADD CONSTRAINT FK_PersonID FOREIGN KEY (p_idPerson) REFERENCES SensitiveData.t_A (p_idPerson); The above is, in fact, my latest attempt. Everything I tried has failed precisely at the point where I specify a table in a different database. So what is the trick to refering to a table in one database when using another database? This will be used in a ASP.NET v3 application where one of the things I want to do is have the authentication provider be a different database from the one used for the main application data. Does anyone know of an example I can download from the web that does the same sort of thing I want to try, with some discussion of security issues involved (i.e. what I can do to harden the application and data server)? NB: I am an application developer, not...

How do I move Database folder from one drive to another
Hi, My OS partition has become full and I want to move my MYSQL database folder from C drive (OS partition) to another drive on the same computer. How to do this?? Thanks. On 02/11/2007 in message <1193977226.773095.139800@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com> P-GPS wrote: >Hi, > My OS partition has become full and I want to move my MYSQL >database folder from C drive (OS partition) to another drive on the >same computer. How to do this?? > >Thanks. When I installed MySQL it went through a wizard asking me where I wanted the data - and then put it on the 'C'...

Copying database instance from one server to another
Hello All! I want to copy database instance from one server to another. Servers configuration: 1) Server from Red Hat Linux 7.3 and Oracle 8.1.7 2) Server to Red Hat Linux 9 and Oracle 8.1.7 (without database instance) I have copyed $ORACLE_BASE/admin and $ORACLE_BASE/oradata from one server to another. After this, I have set same oracle environment variables on new server. The following errors occured when I trying to startup instance ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// -bash-2.05b$ dbstart Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel SVRMGR> Password: Password: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel SVRMGR> LCC-00161: Message 161 not found; product=SVRMGR; facility=MGR ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel SVRMGR> Server Manager complete. Database "MYDB1" warm started. //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Can anybody help please? As far as I know, copying "admin" was not a good idea. If I were you, I would have created a new database in the new server (via DBCA) with the same name, settings and block size of the one you wanted to move. Then I would have replaced only this database's directory inside ORADATA with the one from the old server, recreating the controlfiles with a script and adjusting the param...

copy a database from one SQL server to another.
Hello: I'm new in the SQL server world. But I need to copy one SQL database on machineA to machineB. By looking at the tool bar, I think export will do the job for me, is anybody can provide the detail info? DO I need to create an empty database on MachineB first, any documentation repository I can read and learn? Thank you so much! Sincerely, QG Three different approaches can be found in the following links: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304692 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q224071 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-...

open database from another database
I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like to automate the back-up of an Access application to a writeable CD drive. I've got the process of creating a folder on the CD with the back-up date done, and I can copy the database objects (there are four MDB files in total) to the CD. All of that works. Here's my problem: because Access databases cannot be copied when they are open, I need to have my CD writing code in a new MDB, and will need to launch the new CD writing MDB from within one of the existing databases. I've done this kind of thing before, but I don't have the slightest recollection on how I did it (used to be you had to do that kind of thing in order to compact/repair through automation). So, I give up. How do you launch Access from within Access??? Well this will do it: Dim i As Variant i = Shell("msaccess d:\persprop\CSCPP.mdb") Just put in your own db path. But this does come up with the warning that requires you to click to get into to the db (in 2003). If you know how to get by that I'd like to know. You could put the function in a macro and then close the db stat started the new one. Good luck Ira Solomon On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:17:10 -0500, Mike Easter <username@domain.com> wrote: >I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like >to automate the back-up of an Access application to a wri...

Moving a database from one machine to another and the lack of speed
Dear All, We have a procedure that takes12 minutes to run on the first server but that same procedure now takes 3 hours to run on the second server using the same data. Does anyone have any suggestions why this is happening and how to make the procedure faster on the second server Thanks in advance. Jeff Magouirk "Jeff Magouirk" <magouirkj@njc.org> wrote in message news:113bhrh7krjtjad@corp.supernews.com... > Dear All, > > We have a procedure that takes12 minutes to run on the first server but > that same procedure now takes 3 hours to run on the second server using > the same data. Does anyone have any suggestions why this is happening and > how to make the procedure faster on the second server > > Thanks in advance. > > Jeff Magouirk > > > > No idea - the usual advice if you see something like that is to a) update statistics, and b) use Profiler to identify what's taking so much time. You can also capture the execution plan in Profiler (or use Query Analyzer, which is a bit more user-friendly), and compare it against the plan on the original server. If that doesn't help, you'll need to give more details about your environment - are they the same MSSQL version? The same hardware? Do you have the same database schema (including indexes etc.)? Are the database files exactly the same size? Are they using the same recovery model? Is the data the same (or nearly so)? Is everything ...

export table from one database to another on different server
i've one dev and one prod, one of the table in dev database having 70 millions records and need to export to one of the table in prod database. both machine got 2 nic, one 10/100 mbps and the other 1gbps speed. databases on raid5. the transmission between two servers is very slow, it's transmitting 1000 rows per 4 secs. sql 2000 with sp3 on both machines, i'm using dts. please advice to speed up. thanks, Pat A fast way to transfer data between 2 SQL Servers is via DTS. You can specify the 'fast 'load' and 'table lock options to maximize performance if the target ...

Copy data from one database instance to another on the same server
I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database that is on the same server. What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or must I use an external tool? Thanks CJM "CJM" <cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:4qu2buFoeuvbU1@individual.net... >I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live >database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database >that is on the same server. > > What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or > must I use an external tool? > > Thanks > > CJM > I've tried using the Import From Database feature in OEM, but when I enter the Host Credentials I get the following error: "CJM" <cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:4qu2buFoeuvbU1@individual.net... >I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live >database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database >that is on the same server. > > What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or > must I use an external tool? > > Thanks > > CJM > I've tried using the Import From Database feature in OEM, but when I enter the Host Credentials I get the following error: RemoteOperationException: ERROR: Wro...

Web resources about - checklist for moving a database from one server to another? - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Checklist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Timeline Checklist All Facebook Pages Must Have
... with the new timeline design . Even before timeline, there were so many things to consider that we’d found it helpful to create a checklist ...

Open Graph Checklist - Facebook-Entwickler
Publishing Actions Please use the request channel for requests. Do not format actions as reque...

Brandon Gregg's answer to What is a good to do checklist to follow to ensure the most secure hard disk ...
... spies or snooping significant others; what are the best practices to ensure NOBODY can get to your data? Would be nice to compile a checklist ...

uPackingList free – your best universal checklist for vacation, college, moving, camping, beach, road ...
Get uPackingList free – your best universal checklist for vacation, college, moving, camping, beach, road trip on the App Store. See screenshots ...

Throne speech checklist: which campaign promises did the Trudeau government reaffirm?
Which campaign promises did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reaffirm in his throne speech on Friday? CTVNews.ca has compiled a list of some important ...

Updated Checklist for Social Media Managers
Sprout Social digital marketing specialist Michael Patterson shared a checklist for social media managers last July from his colleague, social ...

A 7 step security checklist for migrating from on-prem SharePoint to Office 365
Microsoft Office is the tried and true solution for work, so it’s no surprise enterprises moving to the cloud look to a familiar face in Office ...

Here Is Trudeau’s Six-Point Checklist for Bombardier's Bailout
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will have a hard time saying no to Bombardier Inc.’s request for aid to complete the troubled C Series aircraft ...

Website migration guide: building an SEO checklist for moving your site
... got that brand equity built into your domain Google doesn’t have an excuse to keep you at the top of its results. Site migration SEO checklist ...