Copy databases from SQL 2005 server to SQL Express

Two Windows 2003 server,
one with SQL 2005 server,
another with SQL Express.

Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express?

Thanks.

Thanks (Thanks@work.com) writes:
> Two Windows 2003 server,
> one with SQL 2005 server,
> another with SQL Express.
>
> Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express?

Yes, but I don't think you can use the Copy Database Wizard, but you will
have to do it by hand. Which is not very difficult anyway.

On source machine backup database, and make note of the logical
filenames. (You see these with sp_helpdb).

On target machine to do:

   RESTORE db FROM DISK = 'pathgoeshere'
      WITH MOVE 'logicalfilename1'
      TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data\db.mdf',
      WITH MOVE 'logicalfilename2' TO
      TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data\db.ldf',
      REPLACE

I've used MSSQL.2 for the target, but you use the number for your
Express instance. You find out which is which by looking around in
the directories.

This does not migrate logins, and mappings user and logins are likely
to be out of whack. You can use sp_change_users_login to fix.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
esquel (7068)
11/6/2006 11:17:41 PM
Thanks.

Same system setup as before.
Computer A with SQL 2005
Computer B with SQL Express

Is it possible to connect the SQL Express in B from the A using the SQL
2005?

I tried it, but failed.

If I can do this, that means I can use Import function in SQL 2005 to import
Access databases into SQL Express.

Am_I_right (Am_I_right@world.com) writes:
> Same system setup as before.
> Computer A with SQL 2005
> Computer B with SQL Express
>
> Is it possible to connect the SQL Express in B from the A using the SQL
> 2005?
>
> I tried it, but failed.

How did you try? How did it fail?

You can always set up a linked server, but it's unclear to me if that
is what you tried.

> If I can do this, that means I can use Import function in SQL 2005 to
> import Access databases into SQL Express.

No, that is what you can do with a linked server. You could however
import you Access database into SQL 2005 non-Express, and then
copy the database with backup/restore as I described in my previous
post.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
esquel (7068)
11/7/2006 10:40:22 PM
"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Am_I_right (Am_I_right@world.com) writes:
>> Same system setup as before.
>> Computer A with SQL 2005
>> Computer B with SQL Express
>>
>> Is it possible to connect the SQL Express in B from the A using the SQL
>> 2005?
>>
>> I tried it, but failed.
>
> How did you try? How did it fail?

Computer A and Computer B are linked with network cable through a network
switch.
Both  using MS Win 2003.
Thanks.

 (Thanks@work.com) writes:
> "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
>> Am_I_right (Am_I_right@world.com) writes:
>>> Same system setup as before.
>>> Computer A with SQL 2005
>>> Computer B with SQL Express
>>>
>>> Is it possible to connect the SQL Express in B from the A using the SQL
>>> 2005?
>>>
>>> I tried it, but failed.
>>
>> How did you try? How did it fail?
>
> Computer A and Computer B are linked with network cable through a network
> switch.
> Both  using MS Win 2003.

Just because you connect the computers with a network cables does not
mean that the two SQL Servers are connected. You must also set up a
linked server. Although it depends on what you want to do. Linked servers
are needed only if you want to access tables on server from the other.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
esquel (7068)
11/8/2006 10:58:06 PM
I have tried your method, but could not work on my machine.
Sorry, I am actually have zero knowledge on SQL

Set up SQL sever is ok, import Access to SQL is also oK for me.
but couldn't figure out how to import Accees into SQL Express.
either directly or through another SQL 2005 server.

Next I am going to try import Access into MySQL by using Premiumsoft
Navicat.
If that work, I will decide to use MySQL, because it is open source and
lower cost.

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Can SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server 2005 be installed on same machine?
I am interested in installing both SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server 2005 b2 on the same machine. Can they both be installed on the same machine without conflicts? As in two different instances? John Dalberg John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<tpnme2253onv.6h4z5zpbsegl.dlg@40tude.net>... > I am interested in installing both SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server > 2005 b2 on the same machine. Can they both be installed on the same machine > without conflicts? As in two different instances? > > John Dalberg From what I understand of the...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > > The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject > line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server > site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would try select * from master..sysdatabases where databaseproperty(name, 'IsInRecovery') = 1 and see if that finds something. There are a couple of more properties for Databaseproperty that you should search for. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Jan 30, 5:30 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes: > > > While I was out of the office the Lan Team ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they do squirly things that often break stuff. Thanks -- Alex Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes: > We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM > work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise > Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or > anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 > Enterprise Manager. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions > of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they > do squirly things that often break stuff. There isn't any Enterpr...

How to deploy a database on SQL Server Express 2005
Hello Hopefully a really simple question. We have just finsihed a SQL 2005 database and vb.net app. We have been using SQL server 2005 Management Studio during design. We now want to copy the database across to a machine that has only got SQL server 2005 Express. How do I do that ( I want the structure created and tables created and data inserted on the target machine) Thanks for your help. KB KB *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Backup and restore is the best option to copy the database. Plamen Ratchev http://www.SQLStudio.com Downloading "Database Publishing Wizard" might also be an option. As indicated in its documentation, it is made available for remote deployment scenarios. ...

Copy database from AS/400 DB2 TO MS SQL Server
I have created a database in AS/400 DB2 . I want to copy the database to MS SQL Server 2000. Can anyone help. Database contains 250 tables and 23 GB Data. Data is critical. <ramkumar.nv@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1143785543.497908.302390@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have created a database in AS/400 DB2 . I want to copy the database > to MS SQL Server 2000. Can anyone help. Database contains 250 tables > and 23 GB Data. Data is critical. > Generate a build script for the database using op manager. Don't use the DB2 extensions - just plain ANSI. Then, wit...

Importing images to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition database
Hi, Could someone give a pointer how to import couple of hundred images into Sql Server 2005 Express Edition database? Is there a tool for it? Can it be done with Sql Management Studio or is it just a matter of writing own piece of software (a little helper app) to do it? -timonardo > Could someone give a pointer how to import couple of hundred images > into Sql Server 2005 Express Edition database? > > Is there a tool for it? Can it be done with Sql Management Studio or > is it just a matter of writing own piece of software (a little helper > app) to do it? Below is a sample VBScript that will import all files in the specified folder. This will work for SQL 2000 and SQL 2005. You can tweak this for your needs. You can also use OPENROWSET in SQL 2005 (see Books Online), but you'll need to provide your own method to provide the list of files to be imported. Const adOpenKeyset = 1 Const adLockOptimistic = 3 Const adTypeBinary = 1 Function Main() Set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set strm = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream") 'change connection string ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB" & _ ";Data Source=MyServer" & _ ";Initial Catalog=MyDatabase" & _ ";Integrated Security=SSPI" conn.Open Conne...

How to import from external SQL database to local SQL database
Hello everyone. I have two machines that have SQL Express on them. I have developed a SQL database with two tables, and a lot of data, on my laptop. I want to copy that database and make it available to my local desktop machine. How can I export or save the database on the laptop and then import it so that I can use it on the desktop? ...

Database migration from Sybase ASE 12.x to MS SQL Server 2005
Hi, We are going to be migrating an application and the first step is to migration the Sybase database to SQL Server 2005 database. Can anyone shed some light into this and help me understand the process involved? What are the possible pitfalls? What should the approach be? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, Newbie Bad move ...

Copying SQL Server databases
I'm responsible for an MS Access system for medical research. Researchers use laptops to record information in the field, which is then transferred via data stick to a server. Per the terms of the grant that pays for the system, and also by the manager's preference, for security's sake all computers used in the process are non-networked. Therefore the transfer has to take place via physical media. Access security has now been cracked by utilities that are publicly available. We would like to move the data to SQL Server. My question is, how difficult is it to copy a SQL Server database to external media? It's not a large application. However, I would think that the database itself would have to be copied in order to maintain security in each step of the transfer. Thanks for your help. (I'm also looking for suggestions on SQL Server books). On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:28:13 -0700 (PDT), brucedodds@comcast.net wrote: Peculiar security requirements, but let's set that aside. You can write a very simple script to backup a SQL Server database, and copy that backup to the data stick. For example osql.exe can execute the BACKUP command. -Tom. >I'm responsible for an MS Access system for medical research. >Researchers use laptops to record information in the field, which is >then transferred via data stick to a server. > >Per the terms of the grant that pays for the system, and also by the >manager's preference, for security&#...

MS SQL Server databases
Hi, I am looking for a tool to create MS SQL Server databases. Who can help me? Valentine Download BOL, it's free and it will show you how to create SQL databases. If you don't have SQL you can buy the developer edition for $50 http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp HTH Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! ...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

Updating online SQL 2005 database from local database
I have my first small SQl Server 2005 database developed on my local server and I have also its equivalent as an online database. I wish to update the local database (using and asp.net interface) and then to upload the data (at least the amended data, but given the small size all data should be no trouble) to the online database. I think replication is the straight answer but I have no experience of this and I am wondering what else I might use which might be less complicated. One solution is DTS (using SQL 2000 terms) but i am not sure if I can set this up (1) to overwrite existing tables and (2) not to seemingly remove identity attributes from fields set as identities. I know there are other possibilities but I would be glad of advice as to the likely best method for a small database updated perhaps once weekly or at less frequent intervals, Best wishes, John Morgan Since my first message I have investigated replication further and it does not seem as complicated as first thought and I have successfully carried out a snapshot replication on my local server. the main disadvantage of replication now seems to be that my online sql database provider charges $50 for providing a replication facility (presumably for enabling a push subscription) The payment is not significant providing replication is the way to to go for the occasional updating of an online server from my local server. Best wishes, John Morgan Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:32:40 GMT, John Morgan <jfm@XXwoo...

MS SQL Server 2005
I am currently running SQL Server 2005 on a stand alone (not a domain member) Windows Server 2003, this server was installed during setup using local user accounts as service accounts. As far as I recall at the time everything, including the SQL agent functioned normally. At this time, the server itself still seems to be running fine, however the SQL Agent service will not start. I can not be sure as up until recently we haven't really been using the SQL Agent, however I believe the problem would have started around the time that service pack 1 was installed. The following is the event log error message that is generated everytime the SQL Agent service attempts to start: ### Event Type: Error Event Source: SQLSERVERAGENT Event Category: Service Control Event ID: 103 Date: 7/24/2007 Time: 3:55:22 PM User: N/A Computer: DBSERVER Description: SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: SQLServerAgent must be able to connect to SQLServer as SysAdmin, but '(Unknown)' is not a member of the SysAdmin role). For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. ### Please note that where the error message should indicate the name of the service account (svc_sqlagent) it instead indicates "Unknown". Also that SQL Server database engine running under the its own local user service account (svc_sqlserver) works fine. I have since tried recreating and reassigning a new local user service account for the SQL Agen...

SQL Server 2005 database
Hello! I have a problem, and I looking for help if someone can handle this. I use asp.net 2.0, and I create web site which support users from internet (Web Site Administration Tool) and with that option i get database named ASPNETDB.MDF. When someone via page is creating account, database creates a new record in aspnet_users table. I made another table (table User_Data, columns UserID, Level, Points, ...), and i want that these data are set to some default values automatically when user press Create Account button (something like this, Columns Level to 1, column Points to 0, ...) Which relationship i must use between two tables, and what else i must to do to be able make this. I made relathionship FK_aspnet_Users_Users_Data, and set UPDATE statement to Set Default, and i was set default values for columns in User_Data table, and when user press Create Account on page, i get error. I don't know if you understand what i want, but i want to, when user create new account, that data in other tables are populated automatically for that user, with some default values, that i specified earlier. Thanks Zeljko Bilandzija (zac9393@email.t-com.hr) writes: > I have a problem, and I looking for help if someone can handle this. > I use asp.net 2.0, and I create web site which support users from internet > (Web Site Administration Tool) and with that option i get database named > ASPNETDB.MDF. > When someone via page is creating account, database create...

number of databases in sql server 2005
Hello, If I have a database of 5 GB with only 20 tables in it, how many of those can we put in how many database servers on a high end machine (Dual Xeon 8 GB on windows 2003)? It is to maka a quotation and an estimation of the cost. TIA Mario sledge (Witdoek@gmail.com) writes: > If I have a database of 5 GB with only 20 tables in it, how many of > those can we put in how many database servers on a high end machine > (Dual Xeon 8 GB on windows 2003)? > It is to maka a quotation and an estimation of the cost. The lowest of 32762 and (the available disk space/5GB). If you mean the practical limit, before the machine suffocates under the load, that's impossible to answer, without knowing the traffic per database. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx ...

Moving SQL Server 2005 databases
What is the easiest way to move SQL Server 2005 databases from one old server to a new server? (bob66k88@gmail.com) writes: > What is the easiest way to move SQL Server 2005 databases from one old > server to a new server? Personally I prefer BACKUP/RESTORE. This does not carry on logins, you need to transfer them separately, and you will need to remap users to logins on the new server. Then again, if the logins do not exist on the new server you can create them with help of the WITH SID option. You can also use the Copy Database Wizard, using the attach and detach method. Note that it will take the database on the source server offline while it copies the files. It also requires access to the disks of the new and old server, to copy files. CDW will migrate logins for you. CDW also offers the SMO method, where it copies the database by scripting and bulking. But don't use this method, it's very unreliable, and may not copy everything. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx ...

OT: How Can I Copy Database Content to Another SQL Database?
Hey guys, I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How can I find out who is logged into the database? Would it be easier to write a SQL script? Thanks! alvinstraight38@hotmail.com (alvinstraight38@hotmail.com) writes: > I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the > complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I > have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live > database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. > > I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the > Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall > because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How > can I find out who is logged into the database? You can run sp_who or sp_who2 and look in the database column. Mostly, you are the one yourself who is active in the database. You cannot run restore command from a query window which has that database as the current database. If you don't care wh...

copy a database from one SQL server to another.
Hello: I'm new in the SQL server world. But I need to copy one SQL database on machineA to machineB. By looking at the tool bar, I think export will do the job for me, is anybody can provide the detail info? DO I need to create an empty database on MachineB first, any documentation repository I can read and learn? Thank you so much! Sincerely, QG Three different approaches can be found in the following links: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304692 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q224071 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-...

SQL Server 2008 Express: Database Diagrams
I am studying "Beginning SQL Server 2008 Express for Developers From Novice to Professional" by Robin Dewson. On pages 191 to 198, it deals with database diagrams. Following the instructions for creating one did not work. I expanded the Database Diagrams node for the database that is being developed (the one the is developed through the book). I get a dialog box of "This database does not have one ore more of the support objects required to use database diagramming. Do you wish to create them?" So far, so good. I answer Yes as I am supposed to, and then there is supposed to be an Add Table dialog box and on it should go. Instead, there is nothing. The Database Diagrams node is expanded as empty (so that the square with the plus sign in it is gone and there are no child items), but there is no dialog box, and no diagram. When I installed SQL Server 2008 Express, I specified a *full* installation and it did succeed. How do I get database diagramming to work? Sincerely, Gene Wirchenko On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:09:01 -0800, Gene Wirchenko <genew@ocis.net> wrote: > I am studying "Beginning SQL Server 2008 Express for Developers >From Novice to Professional" by Robin Dewson. On pages 191 to 198, it >deals with database diagrams. Following the instructions for creating >one did not work. > > I expanded the Database Diagrams node for the database that is >being developed (the one t...

Database link to a MS SQL Server 2000
Hi NG, we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines directly. Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? thanx abbas On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:13:02 +0200, "Abbas" <ar.newsgroup@web.de> wrote: >Hi NG, > >we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. > >There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines >directly. > >Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? > >thanx >abbas > Look into using Heterogeneous Services in your Net administrators manual. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Are you willing to install a bridge program to create this "link"? If so, then try www.examinstudio.com Do as Sybrand told you, look at the Heterogenous services of Oracle. Oracle even supports natively DRDA towards a DB2 z/OS mainframe, and they also support SQL Server. They all end-up like a database link with a totally quallified names in the "from" clause. Be aware of that distributed joins between different DBMS systems might cause huge performance problems, keep the functionality when dealing with multiple DBMS systems simple, no dist...

Web resources about - Copy databases from SQL 2005 server to SQL Express - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...