Database Wars: Oracle vs SQL Server Lock Escalation

I was at a conference and had it asserted to me by an Oracle
afficiando that Oracle and DB2 handled low-level locks "better" than
SQL Server, and that this was likely the cause of SQL Server's
relatively slower and more deadlock-prone performance when running the
same application. (SQL does seem to perform more poorly for this app,
a PeopleSoft customer service and billing app.)

Is there any significant difference in lock escalation strategies
between major databases, and if so, what are the implications?

Jeff Roughgarden, MSCD, MCDBA

I'm surprised that Oracle dude had a good word for DB2 ;-)

DB2 supports, row (default) and table locks (explicit) and does lock
escalation in specific circumstances. There are numerous lock-avoidance
strategies such as "type 2 indexes" which limit impact of locks on
indexes in case of DML.

SQL Server (for historical reasons I presume) also supports page-locks.
I have little knowledge of SQL Servers locking strategies so I can't,
and shouldn't judge.

Oracle supports a non standard isolation level which gives the
transaction a "snapshot in time" (read consistency).
In this isolation levels readers and writers do not lock each other when
colliding at the same row because a reader would get an old copy.
Often this isolation level is what Oracle fans refer to as the superior
locking strategy.

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 SQL Compiler Development

Slightly OT: Size of Oracle vs MS SQL database tables
I'm working at a place where we're moving from an Oracle 10g environment to a mixed Oracle/MS SQL Server 2005 environment. (Main reason is cost; the Oracle software bid was five times the MS bid). We've moved one database over to MS SQL Server 2005 and have discovered that all of our data tables more than double in size under MS SQL Server 2005. The net effect is to more than double the amount of disk space required to implement the same database. A search of various sources of MS information haven't turned up a magic switch to reduce the size of these tables. Any pointer to some information about this difference, expecially if there's something obvious that we're missing, would be greatly appreciated. Mike Squires On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:53:06 -0500, Michael L. Squires wrote: > A search of various sources of MS information haven't turned up a magic > switch to reduce the size of these tables. Size doesn't matter, it's the magic in the wand. MySQL doesn't have that either. It seems that your company is saving money not only on the RDBMS software but also on the DBA personnel. Let me know how it goes. -- http://www.mladen-gogala.com On Apr 12, 8:53 am, m...@familysquires.net (Michael L. Squires) wrote: > I'm working at a place where we're moving from an Oracle 10g environment to > a mixed Oracle/MS SQL Server 2005 environment. (Main reason is cost; the > Oracle software bid was five times the MS bid). &...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

SN#22938 Oracle Database 11g vs. Microsoft SQL Server 2008
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 145 Issue 5 2010-04-01 Article 22938 from section "Oracle" An Edison Group Comparative Management Costs Study An Edison Group report offers a comparative management costs study revealing how the Oracle Database widens the manageability lead over Microsoft SQL Server 2008. The study shows how Oracle Database 11g can save 43% in time and 41% in database management costs over Microsoft SQL Server 2008. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=22938 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users&#...

Database Lock vs Database Freeze
Hi ALL I have come across two terms �Database Lock� and �Database Freeze�. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. Thanks in advance. Regards Madan Gopal Kundu Biostatistician I, i3statprobe Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406 --------------------------------- Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger I never heared of a "database freeze", but it sounds like something like a error situation. Means, that you cannot work with a database while it is busy (?), might also be a continuing error situation. Lock means, that someone or something (might be a application, e.g. a backup routine) has allocated the database exclusively for a while. A situation which could be "normal" and ends, when the specific action is finished. So my interpretation is: if there is a lock, you should wait for the lock to end and you can continue, if a database "freezes", you should look for the reasons for that or ask for support, if the situation does not change. Gerhard On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote: >Hi ALL > > I have come across two terms ?Database Lock? and ?Database Freeze?. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards > > Madan Gopal Kundu > Biostatist...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > > Cyril Look into linked servers in Books Online - you can create a linked server pointing to the Oracle database, then do this: insert into dbo.MSSQLTable select col1, col2, ... from Oracle..SCHEMA.TABLE Alternatively, DTS can move data from Oracle to MSSQL. Simon ...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze
I never heared of a "database freeze", but it sounds like something like a error situation. Means, that you cannot work with a database while it is busy (?), might also be a continuing error situation. Lock means, that someone or something (might be a application, e.g. a backup routine) has allocated the database exclusively for a while. A situation which could be "normal" and ends, when the specific action is finished. So my interpretation is: if there is a lock, you should wait for the lock to end and you can continue, if a database "freezes", you should look for the reasons for that or ask for support, if the situation does not change. Gerhard On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote: >Hi ALL > > I have come across two terms ?Database Lock? and ?Database Freeze?. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards > > Madan Gopal Kundu > Biostatistician I, i3statprobe > Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406 > > >--------------------------------- > Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger ...

MS SQL Server databases
Hi, I am looking for a tool to create MS SQL Server databases. Who can help me? Valentine Download BOL, it's free and it will show you how to create SQL databases. If you don't have SQL you can buy the developer edition for $50 http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp HTH Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! ...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #5
We, someone, perhaps Bob should make a "list" of the vast array of terms used by clinical trials data analysts to describe the same object/event/etc. My favorite is the "Clinical Reporting Analysis Plan". It might make an interesting PharmaSUGI paper. On 4/24/07, Bob_Abelson@hgsi.com <Bob_Abelson@hgsi.com> wrote: > And just to add to the confusion, what Nancy said about database freeze > vs. database lock has the meaning reversed in my company. Maybe it's > because we use Clintrial instead of Oracle Clinical. > > Bob Abelson > HGSI > 240 314 4400 x1374 > bob_abelson@hgsi.com > > > > "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> > Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > 04/24/2007 02:05 AM > Please respond to > "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> > > > To > SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > cc > > Subject > Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze > > > > > > > Hi Madan, > > To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states > of > a clinical databases. > > The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a > locked > database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have > been coded, and the data is pretty clean. Locked databases can be updated > as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the > su...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #4
And just to add to the confusion, what Nancy said about database freeze=20 vs. database lock has the meaning reversed in my company. Maybe it's=20 because we use Clintrial instead of Oracle Clinical. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob=5Fabelson@hgsi.com "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET>=20 Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 04/24/2007 02:05 AM Please respond to "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> To SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc Subject Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze Hi Madan, To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states=20 of a clinical databases. The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a=20 locked database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have been coded, and the data is pretty clean. Locked databases can be updated as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the subsequent table review. Frozen databases are just that. The data has been frozen, and further updates will not be made, except in extreme cases, which require much more paperwork than updates to a locked database. Oracle Clinical has a specific set of steps for locking, and then=20 freezing, a clinical study database, for example. Hope this helps, Nancy Nancy Brucken brucken@provide.net On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:56:00 -0400, Jim Groeneveld <jim2stat@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote: >Well Madan, > >Gerhard alrea...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #3
Hi Madan, To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states of a clinical databases. The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a locked database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have been coded, and the data is pretty clean. Locked databases can be updated as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the subsequent table review. Frozen databases are just that. The data has been frozen, and further updates will not be made, except in extreme cases, which require much more paperwork than updates to a locked database. Oracle Clinical has a specific set of steps for locking, and then freezing, a clinical study database, for example. Hope this helps, Nancy Nancy Brucken brucken@provide.net On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:56:00 -0400, Jim Groeneveld <jim2stat@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote: >Well Madan, > >Gerhard already gave you two possible meanings of both terms, which I think >may be associated with either term. I would like to add a third meaning that >could be expressed by either term as well. In this meaning it would imply >that the database building process has been declared finished, stopped, >whether or not new data are still coming in. The data that are already in >the database have been _cleaned_ and _unblinded_. The database is frozen, >locked. It may have been made physically impossible to add or change >anything or it only has the status of a final d...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #2
Well Madan, Gerhard already gave you two possible meanings of both terms, which I think may be associated with either term. I would like to add a third meaning that could be expressed by either term as well. In this meaning it would imply that the database building process has been declared finished, stopped, whether or not new data are still coming in. The data that are already in the database have been _cleaned_ and _unblinded_. The database is frozen, locked. It may have been made physically impossible to add or change anything or it only has the status of a final db. This state of the db will be used for statistical analysis (in pharmaceutical research). Sometimes a database may be reopened if it yet shows too many inconsistencies or other problems. But those terms indicate a final and reliable state of a db. Regards - Jim. -- Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands Statistician, SAS consultant home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote: >Hi ALL > > I have come across two terms �Database Lock� and �Database Freeze�. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards > > Madan Gopal Kundu > Biostatistician I, i3statprobe > Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406 > > >--------------------------------- > Check out what you're missing if you're not on Ya...

SqlSpec

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > > The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject > line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server > site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would try select * from master..sysdatabases where databaseproperty(name, 'IsInRecovery') = 1 and see if that finds something. There are a couple of more properties for Databaseproperty that you should search for. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Jan 30, 5:30 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes: > > > While I was out of the office the Lan Team ...

Restore SQL Server 6.5 database in SQL Server 2000
Hi, Do you know if it is possible to restore database (backup) from SQL Server 6.5 in SQL Server 2000? Best Regards, Wojtek -- (Remove bez.syfu get my e-mail address) ...

Web resources about - Database Wars: Oracle vs SQL Server Lock Escalation - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Escalation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Search Twitter - escalation
... up Search Refresh Security Tube @ SecurityTube 10m SQLiLab from @notsosecure lets you practice attacks like remote code execution, priv escalation ...

Multipods Escalation for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Multipods Escalation on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Escalation: Official Call of the Dead Trailer - YouTube
Get ready for more Zombies in the Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation map pack with Call of the Dead, staring George Romero, Buffy, Freddy Kreuger, ...

Kurds talk of intervention in Syria, raising danger of escalation
Kurdish group's warning after clashes with Syrian rebels raises spectre of Turkey being dragged into the fighting.

German official warns of 'terrible escalation' in Ukraine
... interview says Russia's direct intervention cannot be ruled out. The German government's coordinator for Russia has warned of a "terrible escalation" ...

AGENDA Fatwa represents I.S. 'escalation'
Kieran Gilbert talks to the ANU's Professor Michael Wesley about the fatwa issued by Islamic State.

Public servants prepare for escalation in industrial action
Federal public servants have been told to get ready for what will be a drawn-out campaign.&#160;

Syria escalation worries UN, US
Syria escalation worries UN, US

Iran denies charges of nuke escalation
IRAN was under diplomatic pressure last night after a UN watchdog reported it had expanded its nuclear program and was hampering inspections, ...