detach database, attach database without log file

If I detach a database on a server, then attach the database with a
single file only using the data file...will I lose any transactions
that were in the original log file? There is a debate going on here at
work where some people think that during the detach, transactions in
the log file are saved to the data file.

Thanks!
0
kaylisse (16)

Hi

You will not loose any committed transactions.

Uncommitted transactions will normally be rolled back rolled back even if
you attached the log file!! If this did happen it would be indicated in the
SQL Server log file.

John

DBA (kaylisse@yahoo.com) writes:
> If I detach a database on a server, then attach the database with a
> single file only using the data file...will I lose any transactions
> that were in the original log file? There is a debate going on here at
> work where some people think that during the detach, transactions in
> the log file are saved to the data file.

If the database is shut down cleanly, there will be nothing to lose.
If the database feels that there is something that needs to be rolled
forward or backward it will cry out for the log, and
sp_attach_db_single_file will not succeed. If you at this point to not
have the log file around anywhere, you are in trouble.

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
esquel (7068)
8/27/2004 9:45:08 PM
I believe sp_detach_db will ensure no transactions need to be rolled forward
or back.  Consequently, the log isn't needed when attaching a database with
a single log file that was properly detached.

Attaching a database that wasn't properly detached is a crap shoot because
SQL Server might need the log to roll transactions forward/back.  The
frequent newsgroup postings from folks who've tried this and failed are the
proof.

In any case, I'd keep the log and/or backups around until the database was
successfully attached.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> DBA (kaylisse@yahoo.com) writes:
> > If I detach a database on a server, then attach the database with a
> > single file only using the data file...will I lose any transactions
> > that were in the original log file? There is a debate going on here at
> > work where some people think that during the detach, transactions in
> > the log file are saved to the data file.
>
> If the database is shut down cleanly, there will be nothing to lose.
> If the database feels that there is something that needs to be rolled
> forward or backward it will cry out for the log, and
> sp_attach_db_single_file will not succeed. If you at this point to not
> have the log file around anywhere, you are in trouble.
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp

0
guzmanda (529)

attaching a database without a log file
Hi is it possible to attach a database when a log file is missing? My database had one .MDF file and 2 .LDFs. I lost one of the .LDFs. Is it possible to recover any data? Tegie "Tomek Grzegorz" <tgrzegorz@piaskowski.pl> wrote in message news:bvj7ob$j75$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl... > Hi > > is it possible to attach a database when a log file is missing? > > My database had one .MDF file and 2 .LDFs. I lost one of the .LDFs. Is it > possible to recover any data? > > Tegie > > Probably not - sp_attach_db requires all the database files, and sp_at...

Good day: Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file extension of .mde? I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized format". Any help is greatfull. TIA This usually indicates an attempt to open an Access 2000 database in an earlier version. -- MichKa [MS] NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "mary" <chloemelmom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a0a64947.0311151242.4df0c8a3@posting.google.com... > Good day: > > Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file > extension of .mde? > > I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized > format". > > Any help is greatfull. > > TIA "mary" <chloemelmom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a0a64947.0311151242.4df0c8a3@posting.google.com... > Good day: > > Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file > extension of .mde? > > I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized > format". > > Any help is greatfull. > > TIA Best place to get answers is at the official MVP site: http://mvp.org Robyn Schulz, MVP A) That url isn't. B) If that's the best place to get answers, why do you hang out in a newsgroup designed to give ...

Error on opening a database: MS JEt database says someone tries to modify the file
Hello, I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. When i try to open the file it gives the error: The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how to save the data in this .mdb file. Greetings, Remco Remco Groot Beumer wrote: > Hello, > > I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. > When i try to open the file it gives the error: > The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and > another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). > > I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or > Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how > to save the data in this .mdb file. > > Greetings, > > Remco > > if your friend doesn't have a backup, it's shot. There are companies that you can sent it to which specialize in getting data out of corrupt Access databases....but it'll cost you a pretty penny! ...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

Oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file
oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file. we have Oracle 10g(10.2.0.1)(HP DL380) databse server from Windows 2003 R2 for test/simulation purpose, we found that its shutting down the database sometimes unusally without any error/warning message in the SID alert log file. we observerd that the OS service for oracle is not starting the datbase server completely. Just after hitting start icon inside the services panel it displays the status "Starting", instead of "Started" and database is not in the "Open" state. So the method adopted to start the database from services as well using the "Startup" command from server manager utility. Why does this happen? On Apr 17, 12:19 pm, 7guru <7...@naver.com> wrote: > oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file. > > we have Oracle 10g(10.2.0.1)(HP DL380) databse server from Windows > 2003 R2 for test/simulation purpose, > we found that its shutting down the database sometimes unusally > without any error/warning message in the SID alert log file. > > we observerd that the OS service for oracle is not starting the > datbase server completely. > Just after hitting start icon inside the services panel it displays > the status "Starting", instead of "Started" > and database is not in the "Open" state. > > So the method adopted to start the database from services as well > using t...

Error on opening a database: MS JEt database says someone tries to modify the file #2
Hello, I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. When i try to open the file it gives the error: The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how to save the data in this .mdb file. Greetings, Remco ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

test connection to a database without specifying a database
Hello! I do the following. 1.Right click on Data Connection in Server Explorer and choose Add connection 2. In the Data Source I select Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) 3.In server name I enter localhost 4. I select Use Window Authentication 5. I click on Test Connection and the result is Test connection succeeded Now to my question I really don't understand how this is possible to test a connection without specifying any database ? Can somebody explain that. //Tony Tony (johansson.andersson@telia.com) writes: > I do the following. > 1.Right click on Data Connection in Server Explorer and choose Add > connection > 2. In the Data Source I select Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) > 3.In server name I enter localhost > 4. I select Use Window Authentication > 5. I click on Test Connection and the result is Test connection succeeded > > Now to my question I really don't understand how this is possible to test a > connection > without specifying any database ? > Can somebody explain that. This is because that SQL Server stores a default database for you, which you will be connected to if you do not specify a database. By default this default database is the master database. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previo...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Transforming ascii file (pseduo database) into proper database
I need to take a series of ascii files and transform the data contained therein so that it can be inserted into an existing database. The ascii files are just a series of lines, each line containing fields separated by '|' character. Relations amongst the data in the various files are denoted through an integer identifier, a pseudo key if you will. Unfortunately, the relations in the ascii file do not match up with those in the database in which i need to insert the data, i.e., I need to transform the data from the files before inserting into the database. Now, this would all be relati...

Identifying Access Databases with tables linked from other Databases/Files
Hi, Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a few of them. My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications may be linking to the database or its tables. Is there a method of searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are linked to. I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files link to which, but just that a link exists. Thanks in advance for any help. Bill It is easy to find the files which it links to but I don't know of any way to find the files which link to it. If you want to find the ones it links to look up the "linked table manager". If you want it the other way round I can't think of any suggestions :( <bill.brennum@grainger.com> wrote in message news:1123692126.033753.32220@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a > few of them. My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications > may be linking to the database or its tables. Is there a method of > searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are > linked to. I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files > link to which, but just that a link exists. > > Thanks in advance for any help. > > Bill > John, Thanks for the reply. Yeah I had the linked table manager for the databases linked to. The linked from is what I want. Bill The only way I can think of ...

Restore of database file and log file
Hi, I have a Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 7 database running. I have a database file that is dated june 12, 2003 I have the database log file from yesterday. The backupsoftware have not backed up the database file since june 12 because it did not back up open files. So, can i merge my database file frome june 12 and my logfile from yesterday and have all the changes since june 12 committed ? If, so how do i do it ? Can't see any tools in the Sybase Central that can help me out... This is a library database and my librarian is not happy at the moment..... Hiya, If the transaction log has not been truncated since, I'd say you can apply the log file. Otherwise you can force the log using dbtran and translate it to SQL and apply the SQL to the database. This is a bit risky, you may miss a lot of transactions since the last checkpoint until the time this log got created. Cheers, Willy -- Posted via http://dbforums.com ...

open database from another database
I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like to automate the back-up of an Access application to a writeable CD drive. I've got the process of creating a folder on the CD with the back-up date done, and I can copy the database objects (there are four MDB files in total) to the CD. All of that works. Here's my problem: because Access databases cannot be copied when they are open, I need to have my CD writing code in a new MDB, and will need to launch the new CD writing MDB from within one of the existing databases. I've done this kind of thing before, but I don't have the slightest recollection on how I did it (used to be you had to do that kind of thing in order to compact/repair through automation). So, I give up. How do you launch Access from within Access??? Well this will do it: Dim i As Variant i = Shell("msaccess d:\persprop\CSCPP.mdb") Just put in your own db path. But this does come up with the warning that requires you to click to get into to the db (in 2003). If you know how to get by that I'd like to know. You could put the function in a macro and then close the db stat started the new one. Good luck Ira Solomon On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:17:10 -0500, Mike Easter <username@domain.com> wrote: >I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like >to automate the back-up of an Access application to a wri...

Database Links for replication between databases
Hello, Until now we do not want to use Database Links for security reasons. But an application needs to access informations that are on two separate DB. As we can not use an asynchrone mecanism (night job of export/import for example) the application provider would like to use Database Links. When a change occurs on the remote DB, a trigger then retrieve new informations into a dedicated table on the local DB. Question : is it an other way to do that ? Regards. ...

database control for multiple database
Hi, some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? Typically : LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 http://hostname:1158/em ===> UID1 or UID2 thank's On 25 oct, 16:27, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk > multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? > > Typically : > > LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 > > http://hostname:1158/em===> UID1 or UID2 > > thank's How can i do to specify port eliot06 wrote: > Hi, > some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk > multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? > > Typically : > > LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 > > http://hostname:1158/em ===> UID1 or UID2 > > thank's > In short...you cannot. DB Control is for a single database. If you want the same functionality for more than one database (without running more than one DB Control), then you will need Grid Control. HTH, Brian -- =================================================================== Brian Peasland dba@nospam.peasland.net http://www.peasland.net Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me. "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of the three" - Unknown -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com On 25 ...

Extracting a Database to a seperate Database
Is it possible to extract part of a database and create it in a seperate database? I have a large database and would like to take about 10 screens out and put them into a seperate file? Is there a quick and easy way of doing this or must I delete and re-create the new database? Falcon in article Pnh1c.8696$Db4.1479@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, Falcon at ernie-no-spam-faulkner@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 3/3/04 4:18 AM: > Is it possible to extract part of a database and create it in a seperate > database? > > I have a large database and would like to take about 10 screens out...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

database control for several database
How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? On Oct 25, 11:09 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? > > yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? Are you talking about this: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b40002/structure.htm#sthref90 jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Single women come home, look in the refrigerator, then go to bed. Married women come home, look in the bedroom, then go to the refrigerator." - heard on radio. ...

Web resources about - detach database, attach database without log file - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...