General advice needed regarding MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL/PostgreSQL

I am working on two versions of an application, one of which will be a
windows forms application (which will need to be redistributable) and
the other will be a web application.

I have MS Visual Studio 2005 (along with the developer's edition of MS
SQL Server), but not MS Access.  I also have MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sun's
application server, Tomcat and Apache web server.  I am working on
Windows XP Pro, and have installed the .NET 3 SDK and all relevant
related products I could find (e.g. 2 extensions packages for Visual
Studio).

I have one MS Access database, to which my users should have read only
access.  I have, and have used, a tool for importing MS Access
databases into MySQL.  I expect that SQL Server has a similar utility
hidden somewhere (where I haven't yet looked, though I HAVE been
looking - obviously in the wrong places).  I have located a similar
utility for importing MS Access databases into PostgreSQL.  I have not
yet decided which servers to use for the web version, but that is
another story, for which I may raise another thread in due course (but
I welcome suggestions which may reduce the effort required given
required effort for the windows forms app).

My problem is for the windows form aplication (intended for use by a
single family).  I expect to use ADO.NET. The question is, should I
import the Access database into MS SQL, and redistribute it, along with
MS SQL Server Express (or is that necessary), or distribute it just as
an Access database and use the jet engine to access it.  A related
question is, "Does ADO.NET support creating new databases for a given
engine?"  Imagine a recipe database.  It is easy enough to create a SQL
script that creates all the required tables, indices, foreign keys,
&c., but can I submit that SQL script to an ADO.NET object, along with
a file name, and have it create, e.g., an Access database with the
supplied name.  Or do I have to create a database file with nothing in
it other than the schema?

I have more questions, but they'll have to wait.

Thanks

Ted

0
r.ted.byers (147)

On 13 Nov, 20:40, "Ted" <r.ted.by...@rogers.com> wrote:
> I am working on two versions of an application, one of which will be a
> windows forms application (which will need to be redistributable) and
> the other will be a web application.

Hi there

I've come across something similar before in the days of VB6 but not
sure how well ADO.NET can deal with it, might require alot of coding.

My recommendation would be to have a common business layer which is
shared by the winforms and web applications. You can slap the two
different UIs on top which should be fairly simple. On the data side,
you can create some interfaces which will allow you to communicate with
your data using the same methods and create data access code for Access
and your other choice of server

Shout if you have any questions

Sam

0
samhon (4)
11/15/2006 5:30:21 PM
Hi Sam,

My first question is this: "If you were in my place, and wanted to
simplify deployment, would you use some of the ADO.NET classes to copy
the MS Access database to SQL Server, and then deploy SQL Server 2005
Express with your application, or use the Jet engine for both the
existing Access database and the new recipe database, or leave the
Access database as it is and create a SQL Server Express database for
the new database?"

I ask this first because a) I don't have Access so working with an
Access database is a PITA except within my Visual Studio 2005
application projects, b) IIRC the Jet engine is included with all
recent versions of Windows (at least the ones I'll support), and c)
based on my reading, I can deploy the SQL Server 2005 Express with my
application (or is this necessary - am I mistaken in assuming the SQL
Server 2005 Express is not included in the latest versions of Windows)

A second question is this: "Is the dialect of SQL used by Access the
same as that used by SQL Server 2005?"  In other words, can I create a
DDL SQL script in SQL Server 2005's Management Studio that will create
my recipe database and then use ADO.NET 2 or ADO.NET 3 to submit it to
the Jet engine, along with a file name ending in mdb and have the
application properly create a NEW Access database?  I ask because, with
my current suite of tools, it is trivially easy to create my new
database in SQL Server (and in a form entirely supported by the
capabilities of SQL Server Express - this db doesn't need the
capabilities in the other editions of SQL Server), but I am concerned
about how to deploy it or to make a distribution that will install
everything my application requires on a new machine (or a client's
machine).  When I bought Visual Studio v6 oh so many eons ago, it came
with a utility for building distribution images that could be placed on
floppies of CDs, but I can't find the counterpart for Visual Studio
2005.

Thanks

Ted.

0
r.ted.byers (147)
11/15/2006 7:17:37 PM
Hi Ted

I dont know enough about your situation to make a suggestion yet. A
couple of questions from me:
Why do you need to use Access if you're going to install SQL Server
Express?
Is this a client requirement?
Is there alot of information? Could you use XML?

Not sure Jet is actually included with XP, think you have to install
it.

With regards to your second question, I'm afraid I dont know. I do
remember Access having a subset of commands, not sure about the latest
versions

Sam

Ted wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> My first question is this: "If you were in my place, and wanted to
> simplify deployment, would you use some of the ADO.NET classes to copy
> the MS Access database to SQL Server, and then deploy SQL Server 2005
> Express with your application, or use the Jet engine for both the
> existing Access database and the new recipe database, or leave the
> Access database as it is and create a SQL Server Express database for
> the new database?"
>
> I ask this first because a) I don't have Access so working with an
> Access database is a PITA except within my Visual Studio 2005
> application projects, b) IIRC the Jet engine is included with all
> recent versions of Windows (at least the ones I'll support), and c)
> based on my reading, I can deploy the SQL Server 2005 Express with my
> application (or is this necessary - am I mistaken in assuming the SQL
> Server 2005 Express is not included in the latest versions of Windows)
>
> A second question is this: "Is the dialect of SQL used by Access the
> same as that used by SQL Server 2005?"  In other words, can I create a
> DDL SQL script in SQL Server 2005's Management Studio that will create
> my recipe database and then use ADO.NET 2 or ADO.NET 3 to submit it to
> the Jet engine, along with a file name ending in mdb and have the
> application properly create a NEW Access database?  I ask because, with
> my current suite of tools, it is trivially easy to create my new
> database in SQL Server (and in a form entirely supported by the
> capabilities of SQL Server Express - this db doesn't need the
> capabilities in the other editions of SQL Server), but I am concerned
> about how to deploy it or to make a distribution that will install
> everything my application requires on a new machine (or a client's
> machine).  When I bought Visual Studio v6 oh so many eons ago, it came
> with a utility for building distribution images that could be placed on
> floppies of CDs, but I can't find the counterpart for Visual Studio
> 2005.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ted.

0
samhon (4)
11/16/2006 11:40:59 AM
samuelhon wrote:
> Hi Ted

Hi Sam,

> I dont know enough about your situation to make a suggestion yet. A
> couple of questions from me:
> Why do you need to use Access if you're going to install SQL Server
> Express?
> Is this a client requirement?
> Is there alot of information? Could you use XML?

The one database I am using is an MS Access database that has been
placed in the public domain by the USDA.  It has about 80 MB of
nutrition data.  I use it to allow a user to enter a recipe and obtain
an analysis of the nutrition in the prodct of the recipe, either per
serving or per 100 grams, and I support storing the recipes entered by
the user.  The schema for both the USDA's nutrition database and my
recipe database is very simple.  I suppose I could use XML, but I am
not sure what that buys me.  The recipe database will initially be
small (actually it will be empty unless I create a few recipes and
store them as samples of what can be done).  The remainder of the
application is smple.  It supports creating a weeklong meal plan,
assessing the meal plans entered for how well it meets the nutritional
requirements for each member of the family (there is a window that
allows the user to enter these requirements for each member of the
family), and maintain a health diary, including what has actually been
eaten, any of the user's family's ailments and medications/remedies
used to deal with them.  So, if Dad has a heart condition, Mom has
diabetes, and junior has colitis, each of their special nutritional
needs can be satisfied without Dad ;-) having to prepare three
different meals.  Additionally, they can assess how well their diet and
medications or remedies serve their respective needs.

The idea of the web application is to extend this to create a global
recipe database, and opportunities for anyone who knows how to cook
earn a little money by contributing their favourite recipes to the
database and supporting people paying a pittance each time they wish to
use someone else's recipe.  Of course, the option will be available for
a recipe's author to place his recipes in the public domain.  This
would empower all users to try foods they may never have seen before.
I could, for example, try a desert made from lychees and longans (I'm
not sure I have the right spelling for these asian fruits) and 1) know
how to prepare it and 2) know what impact it will have on the
nutritional aspects of that week's meal plan.  I don't know about you,
but I see a lot of fresh produce in the supermarkets these days that I
don't know anything about, so I don't buy them.  If I had a resource of
the sort I'm trying to create, I could try them in safety.

Here you have the rationale for two versions, one accessable on the web
and the other distributable on CD and usable without access to the web.

As I see it, I either use Access databases for both the USDA data and
mine, or I use Jet to use the USDA data and SQL Server Express for my
recipe database, or I find a way to import the USDA data into SQL
Server Express and use SQL Server Express to access both the USDA data
and mine.  Dealing with the web application is fairly straight forward
since I'd be running any server I'd need.  But I want to make creation
of the distribution on CDs, or an image that can be downloaded from a
website, as simple as possible.

> Not sure Jet is actually included with XP, think you have to install
> it.

I am running the 64 bit version of Windows XP Pro, and it has Jet;
either that or the professional edition of MS Visual Studio installed
it.  This I know because I have already used it within a test program
that looks at the USDA data.  While my application uses this to analyse
foods and recipes, my end user will never need to look at the raw
nutritional data.

> With regards to your second question, I'm afraid I dont know. I do
> remember Access having a subset of commands, not sure about the latest
> versions

Thanks

Ted

0
r.ted.byers (147)
11/16/2006 4:02:33 PM
Ted wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> My first question is this: "If you were in my place, and wanted to
> simplify deployment, would you use some of the ADO.NET classes to copy
> the MS Access database to SQL Server, and then deploy SQL Server 2005
> Express with your application, or use the Jet engine for both the
> existing Access database and the new recipe database, or leave the
> Access database as it is and create a SQL Server Express database for
> the new database?"

Yes, I would have utilities or procedures that could read data in
various formats, but would store and deploy all my data in one standard
database format(such as SQL Server 2005 Express), if possible, to
simplify application development and maintenance.

> A second question is this: "Is the dialect of SQL used by Access the
> same as that used by SQL Server 2005?"

No, not by a long shot.  Different built-in functions (such as IIF() and
CStr() in Access vs CASE statement and CAST() in SQL Server), different
wild cards (* in Access vs % in SQL Server - and completely different
regular expressions for the LIKE statement), different data types, etc.

Some overviews of the differences:
http://sqlserver2000.databases.aspfaq.com/what-are-the-main-differences-between-access-and-sql-server.html
http://www.mssqlcity.com/Articles/Compare/sql_server_vs_access.htm

MS SQL Linked Servers(Linking MySQL to MS SQL) Collation problem.
Hello, I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? P?vels Mihailovs (iceravenlv@gmail.com) writes: > I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a > table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and > the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL > server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive > question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. > Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? Since I don't work with MySQL myself, it's difficult to say what is going on. But if MySQL has a notion of collation, and the collation is ucs2_general_ci, it sounds like MySQL returns Unicode data. One would expect that to arrive unscathed. What is you collation on the SQL Server side? The stored procedure sp_serveroption permits you to set options for linked servers, and two of them relates to collations. You could play around with these and see what happens. Please look in Books Online for details. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/techn...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they do squirly things that often break stuff. Thanks -- Alex Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes: > We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM > work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise > Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or > anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 > Enterprise Manager. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions > of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they > do squirly things that often break stuff. There isn't any Enterpr...

MS Access conversion to MS SQL
Hi, I've been developing a database for a department in a local organisation. The database is in Microsoft Access and uses tables, queries, forms and reports. Written into the forms is vast amounts of visual basic. There are also a couple of macros. In the time I've been developing this database (a year now, as I went back to university, and then finished university and returned to finish off the DB) the organisation I've been working for have decided to start using MS SQL. The department I am working for aren't to happy as not only my database but most of theirs are in Access and no one seems to have actually used SQL or know anything much about it. Basically, I need to learn about how to convert from Access to SQL. I understand we use the upsizing wizard. I've managed to track down some of the rules I have to use in the conversion (like no spaces in names, no apostrophes etc), but I'd like to know if anyone could tell me more about the upsizing procedure. I'm also concerned about the vast amounts of forms I've made (It's a 109mb database with no data - all down to the forms!). What happens to these? Does SQL use forms, or will all of these be lost? And what about queries? Any information from someone who has knowledge of these things would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Stu. Hiya, An account of how I did it can be found at: http://www.cooldigitec.co.uk/NJW/15-AccessToSQLServer7.html Basically, 1. Close all database objects...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

ODBC connection
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:23:48 +0200, "Kamyk" <marcinzmyslowski@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hello all! > >I have such question to all of you. >I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing >query >based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than >the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked >but >imported to MS Access? > >Can you answer this question? > >Thank you in advance for posts >Marcin from Poland. > That depends on a lot of things... The most obvious thing it depends on is the size of the result set. In a client/server arrangement, you want to keep result sizes down, and do aggregation and filtering on the server. Next, how many people will be sharing the back-end data. Access slows down as soon as 2 people are sharing a JET back-end, but the server won't have this limitation. On the other hand, if the server is too slow, or you're trying to use MSDE with more users than it's optimized for, the server will be slow. There are m...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Too few parameters expected 2 error occurs after migrating "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server"
Hello all I get Too few parameters expected 2 error and "The MS Jet Database engine cannot find the input table or query "myTempTablename". Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. 3078" after I migrated "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server 2000" and relinked all linked tables. The front-end interface of my application is MS Access 2000. The back-end is MS SQL Server 2000. After I migrated the database and relinked all linked tables, "Too few parameters expected 2" and "input table or query "myTempTablename" 3078" error occurs. I found a article in Microsoft website. The "Too few parameter" error occurs because the limitation of the MS Access ODBC driver. If it is, any solution? Thanks in advance Cheers Bon Hi Bon, If you mean you are getting the error when you are trying to relink the tables through ODBC, then the problem could be - if your table(s) had a memo field, that sql server picked up the memo field as a varchar, and Access is trying to read a text field that exceeds 255 chars. You need to go to Query Analyzer (sql server QA) and run some queries against the offending table to see what the text length is in your varchar fields in the sql server table. And if Sql Server did pick up an Access memo field as a Sql Server Text field, ODBC can't read Sql Server Text fields. If any of the varchar fields exceeds 250 chars (for me I get errors after exceeding 250 cha...

MS SQL Express Advanced vs MS SQL full version vs MySQL
I'm planning to transport a desktop application to the web. A spin-off of this application has already been put on the web by another programmer. He used ColdFusion with MS SQL, Access, VC, and Java. It is faster than the desktop application (written in VFP). 1. Can I get the same results using MS SQL Express Advanced and Access for the internet version if used with .net? 2. Are the select statements limited in power, accuracy, size, etc. for MS SQL Express Advanced when compared to SQL? 3. If Access will perform poorly, can VFP be used instead with .net? I already know it can't be used with ColdFusion. 4. If MS Express Advanced will not sufficiently replace SQL, will MySQL do the job better? Thanks On Jul 22, 5:31 pm, <wipeou...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I'm planning to transport a desktop application to the web. A spin-off of > this application has already been put on the web by another programmer. He > used ColdFusion with MS SQL, Access, VC, and Java. It is faster than the > desktop application (written in VFP). > 1. Can I get the same results using MS SQL Express Advanced and Access for > the internet version if used with .net? > 2. Are the select statements limited in power, accuracy, size, etc. for MS > SQL Express Advanced when compared to SQL? > 3. If Access will perform poorly, can VFP be used instead with .net? I > already know it can't be used with ColdFusion. 4. If MS Express Advanced > will not suffic...

JDBC+Linux -> MS Access/MS SQL??
I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and Linux. I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to configure. Do anyone can give me a solution? Thanks Vincent You can try the jTDS driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtds), performs really good. Or you can buy some other jdbc driver for MS SQL Server. /Klas "Vincent Ho" <vincenthkh@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fb01e579.0308061746.3bf10a6b@posting.google.com... > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Vincent Ho wrote: > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Accessing SQL server from ...

MS SQL to MS Access Stored Proc. for Deletes
I have this stored procedure below that works great in SQL Server. The sql purges rows out of a table, leaving "x" # of rows in the table ("x" = s.RetainHistoryNum below). Now I need it to run in MS Access. The thing that throws me off is the multiple "from" statements. I have tried a dozen different queries, nothing seems to do the trick. Either I end up with an syntax error, or I end up with inaccurate results. Dan -------------------------------------------------- -Here is the stored proc I need to work in Access -------------------------------------------------- DELETE FROM ScheduleHistory FROM Schedule s WHERE ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ScheduleHistory sh WHERE sh.ScheduleID = ScheduleHistory.ScheduleID AND sh.ScheduleID = s.ScheduleID AND sh.StartDate >= ScheduleHistory.StartDate ) > s.RetainHistoryNum ---------------------------- -Here are the tables: ---------------------------- CREATE TABLE Schedule ( ScheduleID COUNTER CONSTRAINT PK_ScheduleID PRIMARY KEY, TypeFullName TEXT (200) NULL , TimeLapse INTEGER NULL , TimeLapseMeasurement TEXT (2) NULL , RetryTimeLapse INTEGER NULL , RetryTimeLapseMeasurement TEXT (2) NULL , RetainHistoryNum INTEGER NULL , AttachToEvent TEXT (50) NULL , CatchUpEnabled BIT NULL , Enabled BIT NULL , ObjectDependencies MEMO NULL); GO CREATE TABLE ScheduleHistory ( ScheduleHistoryID COUNTER CONSTRAINT PK_ScheduleHistoryID PRIMARY KEY, ScheduleID INT...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

left() and right() function in MS SQL vs MS ACCESS
I normally use MS ACCESS vs MS SQL,, which has a left() and right() function. I need to use MS SQL for this project but I am not familiar with it. I have read a few books, but can not figure out how to do this. Please help. If I need to compare the first 4 letters of a field, with the first four letters of another field, how can I do this? Select field1, field2 FROM table1 Where left(field1,4)=left(field2,4) (MS SQL does not have left() and right() functions) Please help. In addition, I have a CSV file with data like 10.20, which I import inrto a numberic field. Unforunately the value...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Web resources about - General advice needed regarding MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL/PostgreSQL - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

PostgreSQL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
9.4.1 / February 5, 2015 ; 2 months ago ( 2015-02-05 ) PostgreSQL , often simply "Postgres" , is an object-relational database management system ...

PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database
The official site for PostgreSQL, the world's most advanced open source database

Handy Backup 7.7.7 Released with Hyper-V Host Standalone Support and PostgreSQL 9.5 Compatibility
... beginning of spring 2016, Handy Backup adds a few significant advantages to its mighty arsenal, including compatibility with most modern PostgreSQL ...

PostgreSQL database fixes “persistent denial-of-service” bug
Maintainers of the PostgreSQL open-source database have patched a vulnerability that allowed attackers to corrupt files and in some cases, execute ...

PostgreSQL dump/restore and client_encoding
... master, then I tried to load the dump via psql into a newly created database on the new master. However, the client_encoding parameter in postgresql.conf ...

postgresql
Read all 'postgresql' posts on .

Updated PostgreSQL targets NoSQL market
Embracing the widely used JSON data-exchange format, the new version of the PostgreSQL open-source database takes aim at the growing NoSQL market ...

French govt to use PostgreSQL, LibreOffice in free software adoption push - ComputerworldUK.com
... to ministers, while software giants Microsoft and Oracle might lose out as the government pushes free software such as LibreOffice or PostgreSQL ...

PostgreSQL 9.2 Database Delivers Improved Scalability, Performance
The latest version of the PostgreSQL 9.2 database ships with a list of enhancements including JSON support as well as improved scalability and ...

homebrew-postgresql
homebrew-postgresql - PostgreSQL formulae for the Homebrew package manager