Handle Triggers in MS Access 2003 with SQL Server as Back-End

Hi!

I have a trigger created for Customer table.  My front-end is access.  What
is the best approach to handle a trigger result when adding a new customer
record?

Below is the trigger script:
- - - - - - - - - -

CREATE TRIGGER dbo.trTrackInsert

ON dbo.Customers

FOR INSERT

AS

BEGIN

-- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from

-- interfering with SELECT statements.

SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- Validate the new record.

-- Criteria:

-- 1. Check if there is already a record in the NewCustTracker

-- 1.1. If no record add to the table and record the user info

-- 1.2. If there is record

-- 1.2.1 Inform user that there is pending new record to be completed

-- 1.2.2 Perform roll back of the insert in the Customers table

-- Initialize variables to use in getting some info in the NewCustTracker
and Customer

-- tables.

DECLARE @recordCount int;

DECLARE @userName nvarchar(200);

SET @recordCount = 0;

SET @userName = '';

-- get the record count in the dbo.NewCustTracker table

SET @recordCount = (SELECT count(*) FROM dbo.NewCustTracker);

BEGIN TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker

IF (@recordCount > 0)

BEGIN

-- get the info in the NewCustTracker table...

SET @userName = (SELECT UserName FROM dbo.NewCustTracker);

RAISERROR(N'There is a pending new customer record to be completed by %s.
Please recheck in a couple of minutes.',16,1,@userName);

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker;

END

ELSE

BEGIN

-- record the new customer record in the NewCustTracker table for next
validation...

INSERT INTO dbo.NewCustTracker(CustNum, UserName)

SELECT [Customer Number], user_name() FROM inserted;

IF @@TranCount > 0

COMMIT TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker;

END

END

GO

- - - - - - - - - -

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

0
pillars4 (35)

As I understand it, from reading numerous threads over the years, triggers
are not allowed/cannot be used in any version of Access.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
4/12/2008 11:14:41 PM
Below is our software setup:

- Front-End MS Access
- Back-End MS SQL Server

The script has been created in the back-end

"Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com" <u28780@uwe> wrote in message
> As I understand it, from reading numerous threads over the years, triggers
> are not allowed/cannot be used in any version of Access.
>
> --
> There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!
>
> Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

pillars4 (35)
4/12/2008 11:20:01 PM
Ben wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a trigger created for Customer table.  My front-end is access.
> What is the best approach to handle a trigger result when adding a
> new customer record?
>
> Below is the trigger script:

I don't believe any "result" would be usable by Access other than if you
raise an error.

What are you expecting or desiring to have happen?

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
4/13/2008 12:24:33 AM
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:37:48 GMT, "Ben" <pillars4@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

I didn't test this, but I would think the RAISEERROR would generate a
trappable runtime error in your Access app. Depending on the exact
details of your app, it could be trapped in the Form_Error event, or
if your form is unbound or the record is inserted using ADO or
similar, in that procedure.

-Tom.

Ben (pillars4@sbcglobal.net) writes:

> I have a trigger created for Customer table.  My front-end is access.
> What is the best approach to handle a trigger result when adding a new
> customer record

I'm not really sure what you are asking, but if you plan to return
to result sets from triggers, think twice. Microsoft has deprecated
this and plan to remove it in a later version.

Error messages are of course a fair game. How you best handle them in
your Access application, I leave to other to answer.

Another note: you have BEGIN and COMMIT in the trigger. This is a
little overkill, because a trigger always runs in the context of
the statement that fired the trigger. Furthermore, if there is an
error or a rollback in the trigger, this aborts the batch and rolls
back the transaction entirely.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
esquel (7068)
4/13/2008 1:57:12 AM
Ben wrote:

> -- 1. Check if there is already a record in the NewCustTracker
> -- 1.2. If there is record
> -- 1.2.2 Perform roll back of the insert in the Customers table

> RAISERROR(N'There is a pending new customer record to be completed by %s.
> Please recheck in a couple of minutes.',16,1,@userName);

Out of curiosity, why do you need to serialize this process?
0
emurphy42 (1226)
4/15/2008 2:15:36 AM
Update on this issue.  I have finished my changes to the front-end and
back-end to make it work.

I did the following:
a. Created the insert and update triggers at the back-end
b. Modified my stored procedure to capture the user-defined error message I
created for this task
c.

"Ben" <pillars4@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have a trigger created for Customer table.  My front-end is access.
> What is the best approach to handle a trigger result when adding a new
> customer record?
>
> Below is the trigger script:
> -  - - - - - - - - - -
>
> CREATE TRIGGER dbo.trTrackInsert
>
> ON dbo.Customers
>
> FOR INSERT
>
> AS
>
> BEGIN
>
> -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
>
> -- interfering with SELECT statements.
>
> SET NOCOUNT ON;
>
> -- Validate the new record.
>
> -- Criteria:
>
> -- 1. Check if there is already a record in the NewCustTracker
>
> -- 1.1. If no record add to the table and record the user info
>
> -- 1.2. If there is record
>
> -- 1.2.1 Inform user that there is pending new record to be completed
>
> -- 1.2.2 Perform roll back of the insert in the Customers table
>
> -- Initialize variables to use in getting some info in the NewCustTracker
> and Customer
>
> -- tables.
>
> DECLARE @recordCount int;
>
> DECLARE @userName nvarchar(200);
>
> SET @recordCount = 0;
>
> SET @userName = '';
>
> -- get the record count in the dbo.NewCustTracker table
>
> SET @recordCount = (SELECT count(*) FROM dbo.NewCustTracker);
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker
>
> IF (@recordCount > 0)
>
> BEGIN
>
> -- get the info in the NewCustTracker table...
>
> SET @userName = (SELECT UserName FROM dbo.NewCustTracker);
>
> RAISERROR(N'There is a pending new customer record to be completed by %s.
> Please recheck in a couple of minutes.',16,1,@userName);
>
> ROLLBACK TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker;
>
> END
>
> ELSE
>
> BEGIN
>
> -- record the new customer record in the NewCustTracker table for next
> validation...
>
> INSERT INTO dbo.NewCustTracker(CustNum, UserName)
>
> SELECT [Customer Number], user_name() FROM inserted;
>
> IF @@TranCount > 0
>
> COMMIT TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker;
>
> END
>
> END
>
> GO

> -  - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ben

0
pillars4 (35)
4/19/2008 7:09:06 AM
c. At the front-end, MS Access, captured the error code and error message
using variant variables

This is the general overview of the things I did to make it work.

Below are the scripts:

[INSERT TRIGER SCRIPT]
CREATE TRIGGER [trTrackInsert]

ON [dbo].[Customers]

AFTER INSERT

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @recordCount int;

DECLARE @userName nvarchar(200);

SET @recordCount = 0;

SET @userName = '';

SET @recordCount = (SELECT count(*) FROM dbo.NewCustTracker);

BEGIN TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker

IF (@recordCount > 0)

BEGIN

SET @userName = (SELECT UserName FROM dbo.NewCustTracker);

RAISERROR(70000,16,1,@userName) WITH SETERROR;

END

ELSE

BEGIN

INSERT INTO dbo.NewCustTracker(CustNum, UserName)

SELECT [Customer Number], user_name() FROM inserted;

IF @@TranCount > 0

COMMIT TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker;

END

END

[UPDATE TRIGGER SCRIPT]
CREATE TRIGGER [trUpdateCustomer]

ON [dbo].[Customers]

AFTER UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @custNumber nvarchar(15);

DECLARE @recCount int;

DECLARE @lastName nvarchar(50);

DECLARE @company nvarchar(34);

SET @custNumber = (SELECT [Customer Number] FROM deleted)

SET @recCount = (SELECT count(*) FROM dbo.NewCustTracker WHERE [CustNum] =
@custNumber)

IF (@recCount > 0)

BEGIN

IF (UPDATE([Last Name]) OR UPDATE(Company))

DELETE FROM dbo.NewCustTracker;

END

END

[STORED PROCEDURE SCRIPT]
CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_InsertNewCustomer]

@NewCustomerID nvarchar(15),

@ErrNum int OUTPUT,

@ErrMsg nvarchar(4000) OUTPUT

AS

BEGIN TRY

INSERT INTO Customers ([Customer Number], Active, [Customer Record Type])

VALUES (@NewCustomerID, 1, 'Both')

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

SELECT @ErrNum = ERROR_NUMBER(), @ErrMsg = ERROR_MESSAGE();

END CATCH

[MS ACCESS FRONT-END SCRIPT]
    Dim errorNumber As Variant, errorMessage As Variant
    Dim errMsgNum As String
    Set com = New ADODB.Command

    With com
        .ActiveConnection = <your connection string here...>
        .CommandText = "sp_InsertNewCustomer"
        .CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
        .Parameters.Refresh
        .Parameters("@NewCustomerID") = NextCustID
        .Execute
    End With

    errorNumber = 0

    If Not IsNull(com.Parameters.Item(2).Value) Then
        errorNumber = com.Parameters.Item(2).Value
        errMsgNum = Str(errorNumber)
        errorMessage = com.Parameters.Item(3).Value

        Set com = Nothing

        'Check if there is an error returned from the addition of a new
customer...
        If errorNumber <> 0 Then
            MsgBox "Encountered error: " + errMsgNum + ".  " + errorMessage,
_
                    vbOKOnly, "New Customer Warning!"
        End If
    End If

As we all know, there are other ways to solve the task even better ways.
But this serves my own purpose.

"Ben" <pillars4@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have a trigger created for Customer table.  My front-end is access.
> What is the best approach to handle a trigger result when adding a new
> customer record?
>
> Below is the trigger script:
> -  - - - - - - - - - -
>
> CREATE TRIGGER dbo.trTrackInsert
>
> ON dbo.Customers
>
> FOR INSERT
>
> AS
>
> BEGIN
>
> -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
>
> -- interfering with SELECT statements.
>
> SET NOCOUNT ON;
>
> -- Validate the new record.
>
> -- Criteria:
>
> -- 1. Check if there is already a record in the NewCustTracker
>
> -- 1.1. If no record add to the table and record the user info
>
> -- 1.2. If there is record
>
> -- 1.2.1 Inform user that there is pending new record to be completed
>
> -- 1.2.2 Perform roll back of the insert in the Customers table
>
> -- Initialize variables to use in getting some info in the NewCustTracker
> and Customer
>
> -- tables.
>
> DECLARE @recordCount int;
>
> DECLARE @userName nvarchar(200);
>
> SET @recordCount = 0;
>
> SET @userName = '';
>
> -- get the record count in the dbo.NewCustTracker table
>
> SET @recordCount = (SELECT count(*) FROM dbo.NewCustTracker);
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker
>
> IF (@recordCount > 0)
>
> BEGIN
>
> -- get the info in the NewCustTracker table...
>
> SET @userName = (SELECT UserName FROM dbo.NewCustTracker);
>
> RAISERROR(N'There is a pending new customer record to be completed by %s.
> Please recheck in a couple of minutes.',16,1,@userName);
>
> ROLLBACK TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker;
>
> END
>
> ELSE
>
> BEGIN
>
> -- record the new customer record in the NewCustTracker table for next
> validation...
>
> INSERT INTO dbo.NewCustTracker(CustNum, UserName)
>
> SELECT [Customer Number], user_name() FROM inserted;
>
> IF @@TranCount > 0
>
> COMMIT TRANSACTION insertIntoNewCustTracker;
>
> END
>
> END
>
> GO

> -  - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ben

0
pillars4 (35)

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

MS-Access 2003 & SQL Server
I have a form in a Access Project (SQL DB on the back end). On this form I have created a Combo box that pulls a list of dept and dept #'s from the DEPT table, and displays the dept name in the Combo box. I tried a view instead of a table but the Combo box would not update. On this form I also have a sub form. The sub form has on it, among other things, the following fields; SVCCODE, SVCODE TOTAL. I also have hidden on the sub form a GLCODE and GLDESC fields. What I need to happen is when the Main form Combo box is changed to a new dept desc, let say Radiology, I want the subform to display the radiology SVCCODE's only. What is actually happening is when the form opens a list of SVCCODES are displayed, I am not sure what they are connected to, and when I choose a dept name from the combo box the SVCCODE's display, on the subform, the department list of service codes. For example when I open the form, the subform starts off with the list of service codes I mentioned above and the Combo box is blank, but then when I change to a different department, in the combo box on the main form, the subform does not display those SVCCODE records correlating to the main forms combo box, instead it displays the SVCCODE's for the department in the list from the department table. So if I change to Radiology, it does not care and displays the BLOOD BANK SVCCODE's, those being the next department. One side note I can hit enter with the Combo box highlight...

Database back end
Hi. I am writing a web app for a small company with 50 employees for their payroll and sales. Should I use SQL Server or Access as the database? Kevin ...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

ODBC connection
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:23:48 +0200, "Kamyk" <marcinzmyslowski@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hello all! > >I have such question to all of you. >I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing >query >based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than >the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked >but >imported to MS Access? > >Can you answer this question? > >Thank you in advance for posts >Marcin from Poland. > That depends on a lot of things... The most obvious thing it depends on is the size of the result set. In a client/server arrangement, you want to keep result sizes down, and do aggregation and filtering on the server. Next, how many people will be sharing the back-end data. Access slows down as soon as 2 people are sharing a JET back-end, but the server won't have this limitation. On the other hand, if the server is too slow, or you're trying to use MSDE with more users than it's optimized for, the server will be slow. There are m...

problem with MS Access 2003-SQL Server communication
Hi everyone, Got one tiny problem; i've created database in SQL Server and I'm using MS Access as a front-end to this database. Everything works fine apart from one small thing: whenever I want to edit a field by adding additional information to it, I can't do it. The only way is to delete what that field contains and re-write everything from scratch. I wonder if that can be related to some SQL Server settings or sth else... Thanks, Maciej Maciej wrote: > Hi everyone, > > Got one tiny problem; i've created database in SQL Server and I'm > using MS Access as a front-end to this database. Everything works fine > apart from one small thing: whenever I want to edit a field by adding > additional information to it, I can't do it. The only way is to delete > what that field contains and re-write everything from scratch. > I wonder if that can be related to some SQL Server settings or sth > else... If you're having the difficulty I think you're having then check Tools->Options->(one of the tabs I don't remember which)->Arrow key behavior, set it to "Next Character" -- Pretentious? Moi? ...

MS-Access 2003 Back End Maximum Users
I have a Back End database (split) that is on a smokin' hot machine (dual processor, 2 gig RAM, XP Pro SP2) and I'm getting an error that says the database (back end file) is "opened exclusively" by someone else. I looked at the number of sessions and noticed that when the number of sessions were at 10, any new user launching the front end would get the "exclusive" error message. There is no security in place and no login required. I thought there would be a higher limit than this. Is there some kind of limit to the number of sessions or files opened for the XP machine (with the back end database)? If so, can that number be raised to allow more users to connect? Also, if the limit is a Microsoft license issue, where they would want you to buy a Server OS, how does this speak to all the development over the years promoting "front end/back end" senario? Is it understood, all this time, that these applications (as described in Developer books, magazines and articles, etc.) would "conveniently" be in an environment where there are 10 or less simultaneous users? I'm only asking because, NONE of the training or advice ever said, "oh, by the way, this multi-user situation can only have a max of 10 concurrent users, unless you are deploying on a MS-Server environment..." I'm not looking for a hundred, but 10! Geeze, that seems to be a bit constraining, no? Thanks in Advance > Is there some kind of limit to...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

MS-Access 2003 Back End Maximum Users #2
[...]

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

MS-Access 2003 Back End Maximum Users #3
I have a Back End database (split) that is on a smokin' hot machine (dual processor, 2 gig RAM, XP Pro SP2) and I'm getting an error that says the database (back end file) is "opened exclusively" by someone else. I looked at the number of sessions and noticed that when the number of sessions were at 10, any new user launching the front end would get the "exclusive" error message. There is no security in place and no login required. I thought there would be a higher limit than this. Is there some kind of limit to the number of sessions or files opened for the XP machine (with the back end database)? If so, can that number be raised to allow more users to connect? Also, if the limit is a Microsoft license issue, where they would want you to buy a Server OS, how does this speak to all the development over the years promoting "front end/back end" senario? Is it understood, all this time, that these applications (as described in Developer books, magazines and articles, etc.) would "conveniently" be in an environment where there are 10 or less simultaneous users? I'm only asking because, NONE of the training or advice ever said, "oh, by the way, this multi-user situation can only have a max of 10 concurrent users, unless you are deploying on a MS-Server environment..." I'm not looking for a hundred, but 10! Geeze, that seems to be a bit constraining, no? Thanks in Advance On Feb 21, 9:28 am, "cefran......

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Web resources about - Handle Triggers in MS Access 2003 with SQL Server as Back-End - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Trigger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pop Trigger (@PopTrigger) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Pop Trigger @ PopTrigger ...

Combat Trigger: Call of the Modern Shooter Dead Duty 3D on the App Store on iTunes
Get Combat Trigger: Call of the Modern Shooter Dead Duty 3D on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Trigger squeeze - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Squeezing the near freezing trigger of his machine gun, a Strike Soldier prepares for realistic combat environments during a weapon’s malfunction ...

YouTube - Trigger Happy TV - The big phone guy
Hochgeladen am 25.12.2008 Trigger Happy TV is a hidden camera comedy television programme. The original British edition of the show, produced ...

System glitch triggers ANZ card crash
Computer failure cripples Eftpos and credit card services throughout Australia.

National Disability Insurance Scheme stoush triggers alarm
The political bunfight over the National Disability Insurance Scheme is troubling for people waiting for it to start, advocates say.

Malcolm Turnbull's dissolution trigger reflects paralysis
It's a sorry state of affairs that this is how we do big reform.

National Disability Insurance Scheme stoush triggers alarm
The political bunfight over the National Disability Insurance Scheme is troubling for people waiting for it to start, advocates say.

Turnbull ready to pull trigger on double dissolution poll: As it happened
Malcolm Turnbull says he will call a double dissolution election in early July if a special sitting of parliament does not pass industrial relations ...