How to copy Database Structure from one db to another w/o affecting data

Is there a way to copy the structure from one database to another
without affecting the actual data?

For example, I added new fields and stored procedures to a db in my
development environment. There are a lot of them.

I now want to make the same changes to my production environment db but
don't want to affect the data. Only the fields, stored procs &
constraints and stuff pertaining to the structure of the db should be
changed.

Does anyone know of a program that can do this or can this be done in
MS SQL Enterprise Manager.

Any help would be appreciated.

<spamproof2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to copy the structure from one database to another
> without affecting the actual data?
>
> For example, I added new fields and stored procedures to a db in my
> development environment. There are a lot of them.
>
> I now want to make the same changes to my production environment db but
> don't want to affect the data. Only the fields, stored procs &
> constraints and stuff pertaining to the structure of the db should be
> changed.
>
> Does anyone know of a program that can do this or can this be done in
> MS SQL Enterprise Manager.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> 7078895

You can generate object creation scripts from Enterprise Manager, then run
them on the production system, but this can only create objects, it can't
compare them, so it's fine for stored procs, but not for adding individual
columns to tables. Alternatively, there are third-party tools available,
such as this one:

http://www.red-gate.com/SQL_Compare.htm

However, the real answer is probably that you need source control for your
SQL code, as well as a standard deployment method and/or tool. There are
lots of discussions in this newsgroup (and others) about this - you can
search for "source control" to find them.

Simon

0
sql (2120)
1/31/2005 4:28:03 PM
 (spamproof2005@yahoo.com) writes:
> Is there a way to copy the structure from one database to another
> without affecting the actual data?
>
> For example, I added new fields and stored procedures to a db in my
> development environment. There are a lot of them.
>
> I now want to make the same changes to my production environment db but
> don't want to affect the data. Only the fields, stored procs &
> constraints and stuff pertaining to the structure of the db should be
> changed.
>
> Does anyone know of a program that can do this or can this be done in
> MS SQL Enterprise Manager.

In addition to Simon's post, I like to add that there is no tool in
this whole wide world that can read your thoughts and do what you want.
Sure, loading new stored procedures is piece of cake. But if you have
addded, changed or drop columns, there needs to be a human to decide
what is going to happen with the data. A tool can generate a boiler-
plate for you, but you are setting your data at risk, if you run it
without reviewing. And testing. (Take a backup of the production
environment, and run the update script there until everything seems
fine.)

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
esquel (7068)

copying data from one database to another database
I want to copy data from our production database to the development database. I want to move only the data. I do not need the table structure, constrains or anything else. I think I can use the db2move command to export out all the data like the following: db2move dbname export -tc schema1 When I load the data into our development database, will it recreate the tables? My problem is that I do not want to recreate the structure. I want to make sure that I am copying over only the data. Is db2move the best utility to move the data between two databases without making any stru...

copying data and structure from one database to another
Hi all! I have an application that needs to copy the database structure from one database to another without using the "Generate SQL Script" function in Enterprise Manager. I'd like to do this from within a stored procedure. Can someone recommend the best approach for this? I've seen references to using SQL-DMO from a stored procedure using the sp_OA* procs in other postings to this group but was wondering if there was an easier way? Can I use bcp and then use xp_cmdshell from within my stored procedure? It's not clear to me from the documentation whether bcp copies both structure and data or just data? Is there a better way? Thanks in advance for any help! Karen [posted and mailed, posted and mailed] (kjphipps_377@hotmail.com) writes: > I have an application that needs to copy the database structure from > one database to another without using the "Generate SQL Script" > function in Enterprise Manager. I'd like to do this from within a > stored procedure. Can someone recommend the best approach for this? > I've seen references to using SQL-DMO from a stored procedure using the > sp_OA* procs in other postings to this group but was wondering if there > was an easier way? Can I use bcp and then use xp_cmdshell from within > my stored procedure? It's not clear to me from the documentation > whether bcp copies both structure and data or just data? Is there a > better way? bcp copies only the data....

copy data from one database to another
Hi I am trying to go about copying data from one database to another. The source database is SQL server, and the destination is an Oracle database. While I can access both database' fine, and insert into the oracle database fine, I am having trouble copying data from the SQL DB to the Oracle DB. What I was initially trying to do was copy all the required data into a resultSet, and then transfer this into the Oracle DB. But i probablt cannot insert this block of data in the resultSet directly into the Oracle db i supposed??? If anyone could suggest a better more efficient way to transfer the data i would be grateful. Please see below a snippet of the code for transferring the data. For the moment I am only copying rows between a certain timestamp. Its seems to run fine, and I am not getting an error, but when I check the Oracle database, there is no data in it. //setup the drivers DriverManager.registerDriver(new sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver ()); DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver()); //connect to the MySQL database Connection connSQL = DriverManager.getConnection( "jdbc:odbc:Owenreagh", "username", "password"); System.out.println("connected to SQL DB successfully"); //connect to the Oracle database Connection connOra = DriverManager.getConnection( "jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:1521:DBn...

SqlServer 2005: How *best* to copy one database to another
Hi; I thought I would rephrase a question I asked in another post to more quickly get to the heart of the matter. My apologies for anyone who is offended by what appears to be a repetition. My company has two identical web sites. One copy is for our customer, and one copy is for us to test our code changes on. We developed a hard to isolate bug in the copy of the web stie for our customers. We believe the bug might be data related. We would like to replace our test database with our production database to try to reproduce the problem without interrupting our service to our customers. The test database and production database have all the same tables and structures,but the names of the databases are slightly different. We have tried dropping tables from our test database and importing tables from our customer database in Management Studio. We got the data but the identity fields were turned off as identities. We can manually turn them back on in Management Studio, but we have several hundred tables. In the end we just want to the data from our customer db to be in our test db with the test db name being the same, and have our identity fields preserved. What is the easiest way to do this? Thanks in advance for anyinformation Steve Normally a backup or the production database and restore to test works best. In SQL Server 2005 I would do a copy-only backup. Here is the syntax for copy-only full backup: BACKUP DATABASE production_db_name TO <backup_device&...

Copy data from one database instance to another on the same server
I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database that is on the same server. What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or must I use an external tool? Thanks CJM "CJM" <cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:4qu2buFoeuvbU1@individual.net... >I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live >database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database >that is on the same server. > > What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or > must I use an external tool? > > Thanks > > CJM > I've tried using the Import From Database feature in OEM, but when I enter the Host Credentials I get the following error: "CJM" <cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:4qu2buFoeuvbU1@individual.net... >I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live >database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database >that is on the same server. > > What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or > must I use an external tool? > > Thanks > > CJM > I've tried using the Import From Database feature in OEM, but when I enter the Host Credentials I get the following error: RemoteOperationException: ERROR: Wro...

How to copy records from one database to another one ?
Hi, I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or a group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very time-consuming. Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need to consolidate the data. Thanks in advance for your help. Jesus Gonzalez (jesgon@belgacom.net) * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>: > Hi, > > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figu...

Easiest way to copy a MS-SQL Database from one machine to another
Can anyone recommend the easiest way to get a full copy of a database from one server to another. The servers are not part of the same organization or network. I have received a backup of the database created with enterprise manager but am unable to restore it into a database of the same name on my server. Thanks, Kevin "Kevin" <noemail@provided.com> wrote in message news:tr_Zd.699401$8l.384177@pd7tw1no... > Can anyone recommend the easiest way to get a full copy of a database from > one server to another. The servers are not part of the same organization > or > network. > > I have received a backup of the database created with enterprise manager > but > am unable to restore it into a database of the same name on my server. > > Thanks, > > Kevin > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314546 Backup and restore is usually the easiest way - if you're having a problem restoring a backup, then I suggest you post whatever error message you get. You can also try restoring from Query Analyzer: restore database MyDB from disk = 'c:\temp\db.bak' Sometimes errors in QA are more informative than what EM tells you. See the full RESTORE syntax in Books Online for moving file locations etc. Simon Did you checked the paths to database files before restoring? If you are using the EM restore database function, the database name doesn't matter. You can name your new databas...

Newbie Question: Copying A Record's Data From Multiple Tables In One Database to Another
Greetings Access Users, I have a database that has a record that I wish to copy from one database to another. The table structures in the two databases are identical. Here's the issue: the record's data is broken up into about 10 related tables. Is there any hints or tips on the best way of writing a query or some other solution to acheive this copy? I have about 70 records to copy from one database to another, and if I have to manually re-enter the data, it would take days. Thanks a million in advance, any advice that solves this matter would be a life saver! Kevin "No Spam" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:ohs7c115dg4nds12hv9n70627s9db9p9b6@4ax.com... > Greetings Access Users, > > I have a database that has a record that I wish to copy from one > database to another. The table structures in the two databases are > identical. Here's the issue: the record's data is broken up into > about 10 related tables. Is there any hints or tips on the best way > of writing a query or some other solution to acheive this copy? > > I have about 70 records to copy from one database to another, and if I > have to manually re-enter the data, it would take days. > > Thanks a million in advance, any advice that solves this matter would > be a life saver! > In your source database, create a link to you destination table (linked table manager), then use an append query with the linked table as ...

Using Objects from one database in another database
I've looked around here to see if this can be done, but haven't found the answer. Here is what I want to do... I have a two databases -- One for Sales and one for Operations. These are used by two groups of people with some obvious overlap (like the boss, for example). Some of the data is the same, so I'm using only one backend database file to hold the data. However, I want to have one piece (projects) from the Operations database to also be used in the sales database. The projects piece of it consists of several forms, subforms, reports, queries, code, etc. To cut down on maintenance (so without actually importing) I want to be able to use those forms, subforms, etc. in the Sales database, exactly as they are in the Operations database. Is there a way to do this so that any changes made in the Operations database are also reflected in the Sales database? I've never created Add-ins before, but before I go trying to make this happen, is this the way I need to go? Would this even work? I guess what I'm saying is I want to link code, forms, reports, etc. just like I can link tables. Any ideas? ...

Appending data to a master database from another database
How can I, without using Replication technology, append a table in my master database from data in another database? I have several field offices with sales data that I want, on demand, to append up to my home office Master database... any ideas? Thanks!!!! Dav On 17 Nov 2006 08:02:28 -0800, "Parasyke" <kress1963nov22@yahoo.com> wrote: Attach tables from the Child database to the Master, and run Append queries. Or forego the table attachments and use the IN clause to specify the Child database. Off the top of my head: insert into MyTable select * from MyTable IN 'c:\test\child.mdb' -Tom. >How can I, without using Replication technology, append a table in my >master database from data in another database? I have several field >offices with sales data that I want, on demand, to append up to my home >office Master database... any ideas? Thanks!!!! Dav ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

adding a text string to data from one field in one database to another
Microsoft access 2 tables table "data main" contains a field called "code" table "ddw1" is created from a make table query of "data main" Goal- the data in "code" field in needs to be inserted into a standard web address in the table (the filed name is link) in ddw1 Example address --- "http://www.wedsite.com/[code].html" to get this to work , what I did I created a third table called webaddress using make table query with only the field "code" from "data main" I then went to the table and added field "link" I then created update query using update to "http:///www.webaddress.com/"& [code] &".html" that did the merge of data I then edited the make table query that creates "ddw1" to get the link field from the webaddress table. Ideally would like the field to be created when I do the create table query so it is just one step to do everything. since the field is not needed in where but table "ddw1" I do not want to put it in "data main" also some data in code may change. Any one who know how to do this ? Thanks sellcraig@aol.com wrote in news:1156893768.307146.106880@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com: > > > Microsoft access > 2 tables > > table "data main" contains a field called "code" > table "ddw1" is created from a make table query of "data > m...

To retrive a table from one database to and another database(same table)
hi i have emp table in one database , how to retrieve same table another database through query analizer give code ,,, Hi, use the three part notation: SELECT * FROM database.owner.Objectname (replace owner by schema for SQL2k5) HTH, Jens Suessmeyer. --- http://www.sqlserver2005.de --- Hi surya While the first database is "Current" as would result from: Use FirstDatabaseName select * from OtherDatabaseName..Emp -- -Dick Christoph "surya" <suryaitha@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142588469.061525.268810@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > hi > i have emp table in one database , how to retrieve same table another > database > through query analizer > give code ,,, > ...

Using Objects from one database in another database #2
[...]

copying tables from one database to another
How do people copy tables from one database to another? The docs say that imp/exp are deprecated. I tried the copy command in sqlplus but it destroys the indexes and default attributes! Arrgghh. I have a feeling sql loader can be used to do the import but how do I do the export first? Obviously any export will have to produce a file that is suitable for use to sql loader. Excuse my ignorance: I am more used to sybase where you can use bcp to bcp-out followed by bcp-in. Regards, Andrew Marlow On 20 Jan, 11:35, Andrew <marlow.and...@googlemail.com> wrote: > How do pe...

Copy records from one database to another
Okay, it's been a while. I'm sure I used to know how to do this. I have two identical databases in structure and format. I want to copy records from a table in one database and add them to the corresponding table in the other database. Anyone? Regards - Tony Nameless One wrote: > Okay, it's been a while. I'm sure I used to know how to do this. > > I have two identical databases in structure and format. I want to > copy records from a table in one database and add them to the > corresponding table in the other database. Anyone? > > Regards - Tony Lyle answered this earlier today or yesterday. On 26 Jul 2006 19:52:24 -0700, pietlinden@hotmail.com wrote: > >Nameless One wrote: >> Okay, it's been a while. I'm sure I used to know how to do this. >> >> I have two identical databases in structure and format. I want to >> copy records from a table in one database and add them to the >> corresponding table in the other database. Anyone? >> >> Regards - Tony > >Lyle answered this earlier today or yesterday. I can't seem to locate that response. Can someone give me a clue on what to search for? Try typing "copy records database" into the search bar, Clueless One. Nameless One wrote: > On 26 Jul 2006 19:52:24 -0700, pietlinden@hotmail.com wrote: > > > > >Nameless One wrote: > >> Okay, it's been a while. I'm sure I us...

Copy all tables from one database to another
If I wanted to be able to copy all of the tables in an existing database called Original.mde to another database called New.mde from a button click event in Original.mde, is there an easy way of coding it without naming every single table in Original.mde. I am looking for a way of updating a database on site without needing to access the database window and import the existing tables into a new empty database. dixie On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:37:43 +1100, "dixie" <dixiec@dogmail.com> wrote: Not sure why you're not just making a copy of the database. But that aside, you can walk the TableDefs collection to find the names of all tables. -Tom. >If I wanted to be able to copy all of the tables in an existing database >called Original.mde to another database called New.mde from a button click >event in Original.mde, is there an easy way of coding it without naming >every single table in Original.mde. I am looking for a way of updating a >database on site without needing to access the database window and import >the existing tables into a new empty database. > >dixie > Loop through the TableDefs collection and export each table... ? -- Bradley Software Developer www.hrsystems.com.au A Christian Response www.pastornet.net.au/response "dixie" <dixiec@dogmail.com> wrote in message news:zFV_b.174$ud3.2855@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au... > If I wanted to be able to copy all of the tables in an existing database > cal...

How to keep update one Mysql database with another MySQL database?
I have two Mysql databases. One is the master and the other is slave. I need to keep update with slave database to keep some tables the same as master database. The first idea in my mind is to write a php script to read datas from these tables and write into slave database. But I still think it is a little complex to judge which code I need to write into slave databse. So, any good idea to do this job? Any tool I can use? -- Water Lin http://blog.waterlin.org Water Lin wrote: > I have two Mysql databases. One is the master and the other is slave. > > I need to keep update wi...

OT: How Can I Copy Database Content to Another SQL Database?
Hey guys, I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How can I find out who is logged into the database? Would it be easier to write a SQL script? Thanks! alvinstraight38@hotmail.com (alvinstraight38@hotmail.com) writes: > I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the > complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I > have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live > database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. > > I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the > Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall > because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How > can I find out who is logged into the database? You can run sp_who or sp_who2 and look in the database column. Mostly, you are the one yourself who is active in the database. You cannot run restore command from a query window which has that database as the current database. If you don't care wh...

Web resources about - How to copy Database Structure from one db to another w/o affecting data - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Tree structure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A tree structure is a way of representing the hierarchical nature of a structure in a graphical form. It is named a "tree structure" because ...

NSW tests interest in land titles unit sale structure
JPMorgan has been drumming up potential buyer interest in NSW's Land and Property Information unit, with expectations that formal expressions ...

Prince Harry visits Nepal quake victims, damaged structures
KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — Britain's Prince Harry on Sunday visited with families living at a camp in Nepal for people made homeless by last April's ...

Leaked Documents Of 22,000 Jihadis Expose ‘Underlying Structures’ Of ISIS
Leaked Documents Of 22,000 Jihadis Expose ‘Underlying Structures’ Of ISIS

Structure exhibition to show work from 26 Norwegian designers
Homeware and furniture from Norwegian designers including Andreas Egesvik and Lars Beller Fjetland will be on display at the Structure exhibition ...

This Architect Builds Unthinkably Complex Structures—With Legos
As one of the few master Lego builders on Earth, Adam Reed Tucker is living out many an architect's childhood dream.

The Growing Appeal Of Offshore Structures To Family Offices
Single-family offices and multi-family offices are increasingly using offshore structures to address a wide range of issues and opportunities. ...

Q&A: Facebook’s revised UK tax structure
It will be unclear how much extra tax will be paid until the company’s 2016 accounts are published

Gaze Into This Vortex of Worms Trying to Self-Assemble into a Structure
Scientists have found that these worms self-assemble into structures that allow them to survive on broad, sandy beaches. One of the phases of ...

How Many Lego Bricks Would It Take to Build Famous Sci-Fi Structures and Vehicles
It’s hard to truly grasp the size of famous science fiction megastructures like the Death Star or the Halo ring and basically impossible to understand ...