How to import from external SQL database to local SQL database

Hello everyone. I have two machines that have SQL Express on them. I
have developed a SQL database with two tables, and a lot of data, on my
laptop. I want to copy that database and make it available to my local
desktop machine. How can I export or save the database on the laptop
and then import it so that I can use it on the desktop?

Updating online SQL 2005 database from local database
I have my first small SQl Server 2005 database developed on my local server and I have also its equivalent as an online database. I wish to update the local database (using and asp.net interface) and then to upload the data (at least the amended data, but given the small size all data should be no trouble) to the online database. I think replication is the straight answer but I have no experience of this and I am wondering what else I might use which might be less complicated. One solution is DTS (using SQL 2000 terms) but i am not sure if I can set this up (1) to overwrite existing tables and (2) not to seemingly remove identity attributes from fields set as identities. I know there are other possibilities but I would be glad of advice as to the likely best method for a small database updated perhaps once weekly or at less frequent intervals, Best wishes, John Morgan Since my first message I have investigated replication further and it does not seem as complicated as first thought and I have successfully carried out a snapshot replication on my local server. the main disadvantage of replication now seems to be that my online sql database provider charges $50 for providing a replication facility (presumably for enabling a push subscription) The payment is not significant providing replication is the way to to go for the occasional updating of an online server from my local server. Best wishes, John Morgan Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:32:40 GMT, John Morgan <jfm@XXwoo...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

Database Toolkit: Reading data from SQL database
Hello, &nbsp; I have been working on a automated test system storing data into a SQL server database.&nbsp; Once you get your head wrapped around the toolkit and walk through some of the examples it is not too bad.&nbsp; Writing to the database was very straight forward.&nbsp; I simply put all of my data including the primary keys into a cluster and inserted the cluster into the specified table.&nbsp; As I learned the hard way,&nbsp; it is very important for all of your types to match up.&nbsp; I saved double type&nbsp;from labview as decimal type&nbsp;in th...

How do I a smallint SQL database value using the Database tools?
I'm using the Database Toolset with Labview 7. I'm building up a parameterized Query to a Stored Procedure in my SQL Database. It doesn't appear that smallint output types are supported because zero is always loaded into the variable. Is this correct? I'm I doing something wrong? Feedback welcome... thanks! It's probibly not an issue with datatypes since LV has far more datatypes than most databases. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you getting the 0 when running the stored procedure? Could you perhaps post a bit of code (LV and SQL) that demonstrates the issue? Mike... ...

OT: How Can I Copy Database Content to Another SQL Database?
Hey guys, I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How can I find out who is logged into the database? Would it be easier to write a SQL script? Thanks! alvinstraight38@hotmail.com (alvinstraight38@hotmail.com) writes: > I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the > complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I > have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live > database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. > > I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the > Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall > because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How > can I find out who is logged into the database? You can run sp_who or sp_who2 and look in the database column. Mostly, you are the one yourself who is active in the database. You cannot run restore command from a query window which has that database as the current database. If you don't care wh...

US-TX-Austin: SQL Database Dev., SQL,SQL Analyzer and Profiler; (45349932406)
US-TX-Austin: SQL Database Dev., SQL,SQL Analyzer and Profiler; (45349932406) ============================================================================= Position: SQL Database Dev. Reference: ZYD00030 Location: Austin TX Duration: Skills: 3+ years experience as a Database Developer with significant SQL 2000 experience Must have the ability to develop, debug, test and troubleshoot queries,macros, and modules Experience and understanding of database design Proficient with SQL Query Analyzer, ...

How do I reference a table in one database from a SQL script running in another database?
I am construvcting a number of databases, some of which contain sensitive data and most of which do not. I am attempting to handle the security issues involved in protecting sensitive data in part by putting it in its own database. If the sensitive data is in a database called d_SensitiveData, and in that database there is a table called 't_A' (I know, not very informative, but this is only a trivially simple example :-), and I have a script running in a database 'NotSensitiveData' (i.e. there is a statement at the beginning of the script "USE NotSensitiveData"), how do I referenece the primary key in table 'A'? I tried a variety of things like: ALTER TABLE t_nsX ADD CONSTRAINT FK_PersonID FOREIGN KEY (p_idPerson) REFERENCES SensitiveData.t_A (p_idPerson); The above is, in fact, my latest attempt. Everything I tried has failed precisely at the point where I specify a table in a different database. So what is the trick to refering to a table in one database when using another database? This will be used in a ASP.NET v3 application where one of the things I want to do is have the authentication provider be a different database from the one used for the main application data. Does anyone know of an example I can download from the web that does the same sort of thing I want to try, with some discussion of security issues involved (i.e. what I can do to harden the application and data server)? NB: I am an application developer, not...

Import XML file to database (MS Server 2000) using procedure (transact sql) ???
I must import some exemplary file to database (MS Srrver 2000) ofcourse using procedure Transact SQL. This file must: 1.Read the xml file 2. Create table 3. Import this date from xml file to my database Ps. I create procedure who File xml imports to base, but unfortunately she only schedule when earlier create a table or table is created.So I need (I think) create such mini parser in language transact SQL. Does someone have some ideas? For every help Thanks ==== example file xml =========================================== <root> <Cust> <IDosoby>1</IDosoby> <Imie>Lukasz</Imie> <Nazwisko>Przypadek</Nazwisko> </Cust> <Cust> <IDosoby>2</IDosoby> <Imie>Dariusz </Imie> <Nazwisko>Mroz</Nazwisko> </Cust> <Cust> <IDosoby>3</IDosoby> <Imie>Tomasz</Imie> <Nazwisko>Kolo</Nazwisko> </Cust> </root> =========================================================== -- Luk Not sure of the exact requirement. But if you can parse the XML and then using OPENXML shred it into a new table. SELECT * INTO <MyNewTable> FROM OPENXML (@idoc, '/root/') Where @idoc is the document handle of the internal representation of an XML document. -- HTH, Vinod Kumar MCSE, DBA, MCAD, MCSD ...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > > The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject > line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server > site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would try select * from master..sysdatabases where databaseproperty(name, 'IsInRecovery') = 1 and see if that finds something. There are a couple of more properties for Databaseproperty that you should search for. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Jan 30, 5:30 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes: > > > While I was out of the office the Lan Team ...

SQL re-parsing on query executed against a remote database using database links
Can anyone help to understand why re-parsing occurs on a remote database (using database links), even though we are using a prepared statement on the local database: Scenario: ======== We have an schema (s1) on an Oracle 9i database with database links pointing to a schema (s2) on another Oracle 9i database. We have a SQL statement which joins tables from schemas s1 to tables in schema s2 by the use of database links (tablename@linkname). The query is executed against schema s1. The SQL statement is prepared and re-executed over many iterations (using bind variables - Java/jdbc). The statement is closed only when we have completed the iterations. For both databases, the optimizer mode is CHOOSE and ALL the tables have been analyzed. Results: ======= We have found that when we monitor / analyse the database, the parsing rate is high, which is impacting the performance of the process. NOTE: We also ran the same tests using Oracle 8i (for both databases) instead of 9i. In these tests the parsing rate was very low (zero). This is what I would have regarded as the expected behaviour. The same high parsing rate is also seen when both schemas reside on the same database (Oracle 9i), and database links are used to join tables from the 2 schemas. If however, the SQL query is amended to refer to the remote tables in schema s2 by schema.tablename rather than tablename@linkname, then the parsing rate is again very low (as expected) and the process runs much more quick...

Restore of Case Insensitive Database to a Case Sensitive Database
Yesterday I received a response to my CI/CS Collation problem and the recommendation was to try and restore a CI Collation database to a CS Collation database. After creating a blank CS database a full restore (Force restore over existing database) does change the Collation to CI. I'm unsure as to how I can restore without changing the Collation. Any suggestions? Hi. Check out this article: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/vg_database_comparison_sp.asp If appears that if you can put the CI db on another box and create a linked server to it you should be able to bring over every...

SQL 7 to SQL 2000 Database Migration
Could someone help us with a problem we're having with regard to moving several databases from SQL 7 to SQL 2000 on different servers in different domains. Our current SQL 7 server resides in one domain, and holds several databases. We now want to move these to a SQL 2000 server in another domain. We're trying to use the Copy Database wizard on the SQL 2000 server (logged in as the local admin account), selecting the SQL 7 server as the source, using 'sa' account on that server. The target is the SQL 2000 server, again using 'sa' account. We're leaving everythi...

Sql Scripts to Monitor another SQL Database.
Greetings All, I was hoping that some of you might be aware of any free scripts that were written explicitly for the purpose of monitoring a SQL Server database. I want to be able to determine up/down events, Error Log updates, Long running Transactions, Deadlocks, etc. My plan is to use a central SQL Server database as a repository that will query (via t-sql) the target SQL Server boxes for the events listed above. If one of the events falls outside of a defined range I will use xp_sendmail to alert me via my pager. I have been looking at third party tools like BMC Patrol, Quest Foglight,...

Practicing SQL on sample database through PL SQL
Hello All, I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a schema. All I want to learn for the time being is 1 .PL SQL Commands . 2 . and learn to use the "Select" statement effeciently coz I would be using it in SAS. So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a sample database in the Web or if there is some database some where I could do some thing . thanks JQ Jquest wrote: > Hello All, > > I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a > schema. All I want to learn for the time being is > > 1 .PL SQL Commands . > 2 . and learn to use the "Select" statement effeciently coz I would > be using it in SAS. > > So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a > sample database in the Web or if there is some database some where I > could do some thing . > > thanks > JQ > On the companion CD there are some sample schemas available. regards, pedro Jquest wrote: > Hello All, > > I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a > schema. All I want to learn for the time being is > > 1 .PL SQL Commands . > 2 . and learn to use the "Select" statement effeciently coz I would > be using it in SAS. > > So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a > sample database in the Web or if there is some database some...

[PL/SQL] DataBASE Interaction with PL/SQL
Hello Oracle Guru's, I know that PL/SQL does't accept any user inputs. but i need the following functionality like And Please do not ask the reason for. (My question is coming at the end of this part) Algorithm 1.Execute a procedure 2. accept some input parameters 3. check for some condition 4. pass those accepted parameter to the Dynamic SQL/cursor etc.... 5. Print the output using DBMS.Package 6.The END Here is a sample procedure, but this procedure will accept parameters only when a run the entire procedure (first time) ------------------------------------------- create or replace procedure test as t_empno varchar2(10) := '&empno'; t_ename varchar2(100); begin Select empname into t_ename from empmaster Where empno=t_empno; dbms_output.put_line('Name: '|| t_ename); -- p(t_ename) ; --thanks for asktom.oracle.com end; ---------------------------------------------- Out/put (Image only some i/o is translated from japaneseto english) empno....?: E1234567 old 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := '&empno'; new 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := 'E1234567'; Procedure created SQL> exec test nameofthe employ here PL/SQLcompleted succ.... ------------------------------------------------- My question is How can i write a PL/SQL to perform the above algorithm i.e When i say EXEC test the following screnn should appear empno....?: E1234567 old 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := '&...

SQL database
Hi, I'm trying to write a simple labview program that accesses and extracts some information from a SQL database. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks in advance! ~Julie Mathews example uses the old SQL Toolkit from NI. I don't believe this is sold anymore. It has been replaced with the <A href="http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=6429&lang=US">Database Connectivity Toolkit</A>. It comes with a bunch of examples and is pretty simple to use but it is not cheap. If you're familiar with SQL and comfortable with writing your own queries, there is...

Import Columns from SQL Database
I am new to Access and have a quick question. I'm trying to import data from a SQL database, but the table that I'd like to import is enormous. I have gotten all of the connections to work, but as far as I can tell, there's not a way to import certain rows of the SQL table into a new table in Access. Is it possible to somehow use a SELECT statement rather than importing the entire table? Thanks, Ben bwilde@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to Access and have a quick question. I'm trying to import > data from a SQL database, but the table that I'd like to import is > enormous. I have gotten all of the connections to work, but as far as > I can tell, there's not a way to import certain rows of the SQL table > into a new table in Access. Is it possible to somehow use a SELECT > statement rather than importing the entire table? > > Thanks, > Ben Create a passthrough query to select what you want from the server table. Use that passthrough query as the input for an Append query to copy the data into a local table. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com On Mar 26, 9:48 pm, bwi...@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to Access and have a quick question. I'm trying to import > data from a SQL database, but the table that I'd like to import is > enormous. I have gotten all of the connections to work, but as far as > I can tell, there's not a way t...

Database SQL
Does one have to do something when there is an apostrophe in the SQL statement if it's always going to be a variable that's being used in the SQL statement here's and example of what I mean Dim rs as RecordSet Dim TempString as String rs = new RecordSet TempString = "Frank's house" rs = db.SQLSelect("Select * from main where HOUSES = '" + TempString + "'") Using RealDatabase and RealBasic 5.5.3 I know in earlier versions the apostrophe would have to be escaped but I was told that in 5.5.3 this is not the case and it c...

Importing a SQL Database Error
When I use the Import feature in the Database tool box I am able to import my SQL Database. However, when I click the generate script feature I get the following error. Not sure why it doesn't work. >> import_DB Undefined function or variable 'dataset'. Error in cursor/fetch (line 534) outCursor.Data = dataset(outCursor.Data); Error in import_DB (line 21) curs = fetch(curs) ****I have attempted to use the fetch function other places and it works. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. -Jason ...

MS SQL database administrator
Dear Partners, Interested parties can forward their consultants profile to versatilehr.farook@gmail.com with their contact information expected rates and we will get back to you with the updates very soon. Title: MS SQL database administration Location: Missouri Job Type: 6+ Months Contract. We are looking for an experienced Software Design Engineer in Test (SDET) with experience in MS SQL database administration and testing. Primary responsibilities will include performance testing our product offering as a whole for the next release. More responsibilities include: 1. prov...

Web resources about - How to import from external SQL database to local SQL database - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

WPP Hires External Counsel to Conduct Independent Investigation
WPP and its agency JWT have hired external counsel to conduct an independent investigation following a lawsuit filed by the agency's chief communications ...

More on AMD’s XConnect Tech: Thunderbolt 3 for External Radeons
... AMD issued a driver update that brought support for a new technology, XConnect. In a nutshell, XConnect is AMD’s trade name for running external ...

AMD wants to standardize the external GPU
But thanks to Thunderbolt 3, hasn't this been done already? AMD hints that it's working on a new external graphics card solution that promises ...

Xiaomi's new Mi Powerbank Pro is a 10,000 mAh external battery with USB Type-C
... LG's G5 and Xiaomi's Mi 5 unveiled with USB Type-C. But, for consumers, having it on a new smartphone may actually be an issue. An external ...

Meet the sleek external battery your iPhone deserves
... packs, other companies in the market haven't broken stride. There is little question that Apple stands to steal a healthy chunk of external ...

Gamers rejoice! AMD releases Thunderbolt 3 driver for external video cards
AMD has issued a driver update that will allow ultrathin notebooks or 2-in-1 laptops to connect via Thunderbolt 3 to external GPU enclosures ...

EMEA external storage market continues to decline in 4Q15 but all-flash adoption soars, says IDC
The total EMEA external storage systems value fell 7.5% on year to US$2.08 billion in the fourth quarter of 2015, according to IDC's EMEA Quarterly ...

Razer's 'Core' external GPU ships in April for $500
Razer announced pricing and availability for its new Core external graphics box at GDC on Wednesday. The device is available for pre-order starting ...