left() and right() function in MS SQL vs MS ACCESS

I normally use MS ACCESS vs MS SQL,, which has a left() and right()
function.  I need to use MS SQL for this project but I am not familiar
with it.  I have read a few books, but can not figure out how to do
this.  Please help.

If I need to compare the first 4 letters of a field, with the first
four letters of another field, how can I do this?

Select field1, field2 FROM table1 Where left(field1,4)=left(field2,4)

(MS SQL does not have left() and right() functions)

Please help.

In addition, I have a CSV file with data like 10.20, which I import
inrto a numberic field.  Unforunately the value gets changed to 10.
It's seems to get rounded.  How can I fix this.
The import SQL I use is....

BULK INSERT dbo.table
    FROM 'c:\MYDATA.CSV
    WITH
    (
        FIRSTROW = 1,
        FIELDTERMINATOR = ',',
        ROWTERMINATOR = '\n'
    )

Thank you in advance!!!

0
stoppal (49)

On 29 Jun 2006 11:40:22 -0700, "sql guy123" <stoppal@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Select field1, field2 FROM table1 Where left(field1,4)=left(field2,4)
>
>(MS SQL does not have left() and right() functions)

MS SQL Server does have both LEFT and RIGHT functions.

From the Books on Line for SQL Server 2000:

RIGHT
Returns the right part of a character string with the specified number
of characters.

Syntax
RIGHT ( character_expression , integer_expression )

Arguments
character_expression

Is an expression of character or binary data. character_expression can
be a constant, variable, or column. character_expression can be of any
data type (except text or ntext) that can be implicitly converted to
varchar or nvarchar. Otherwise, use the CAST function to explicitly
convert character_expression.

integer_expression

Is a positive integer that specifies how many characters of the
character_expression will be returned. If integer_expression is
negative, an error is returned.

Return Types
varchar or nvarchar

LEFT
Returns the left part of a character string with the specified number
of characters.

Syntax
LEFT ( character_expression , integer_expression )

Arguments
character_expression

Is an expression of character or binary data. character_expression can
be a constant, variable, or column. character_expression can be of any
data type (except text or ntext) that can be implicitly converted to
varchar or nvarchar. Otherwise, use the CAST function to explicitly
convert character_expression.

integer_expression

Is a positive integer that specifies how many characters of the
character_expression will be returned. If integer_expression is
negative, an error is returned.

Return Types
varchar or nvarchar.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT
0
roy_harvey (303)
6/29/2006 7:06:33 PM
your right I was missing a comma.  My mistake.  Also can I have the
link to the online book you referred to?

Any idea on the import issue?

thanks

0
stoppal (49)
6/29/2006 7:18:57 PM
For SQL server 2005

BOL = Books On Line
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms130214.aspx)

or Start-->programs-->Microsoft SQL Server 2005-->Documentation and
Tutorials-->SQL Server Books On Line

For SQL server 2000

Start-->programs-->Microsoft SQL Server--> Books On Line

or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/startsql/portal_7ap1.asp

Denis the SQL Menace

http://sqlservercode.blogspot.com/

sql guy123 wrote:
> your right I was missing a comma.  My mistake.  Also can I have the
> link to the online book you referred to?
>
> Any idea on the import issue?
>
> thanks

0
denis.gobo (83)
6/29/2006 7:25:59 PM
On 29 Jun 2006 12:18:57 -0700, "sql guy123" <stoppal@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Also can I have the
>link to the online book you referred to?

You can download the SQL Server 2000 docs:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a6f79cb1-a420-445f-8a4b-bd77a7da194b&displaylang=en

Roy
0
roy_harvey (303)
6/29/2006 9:43:37 PM
What is the definition of dbo.table?

Roy

wrote:

>In addition, I have a CSV file with data like 10.20, which I import
>inrto a numberic field.  Unforunately the value gets changed to 10.
>It's seems to get rounded.  How can I fix this.
>The import SQL I use is....
>
>BULK INSERT dbo.table
>    FROM 'c:\MYDATA.CSV
>    WITH
>    (
>        FIRSTROW = 1,
>        FIELDTERMINATOR = ',',
>        ROWTERMINATOR = '\n'
>    )
0
roy_harvey (303)
6/29/2006 9:45:15 PM
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by definition.  It's a table
in my database.  Does that answer your question, or do you need more?\

thanks

Roy Harvey wrote:
> What is the definition of dbo.table?

0
stoppal (49)
6/29/2006 11:45:48 PM
CREATE TABLE, so that we know the data types of the columns.  You
described a problem when importing data into a "numberic field".  The
precise data type of the column is rather important.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

On 29 Jun 2006 16:45:48 -0700, "sql guy123" <stoppal@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by definition.  It's a table
>in my database.  Does that answer your question, or do you need more?\
>
>thanks
>

>Roy Harvey wrote:
>> What is the definition of dbo.table?
0
roy_harvey (303)
6/30/2006 1:25:15 AM
thanks

Roy Harvey wrote:
> CREATE TABLE, so that we know the data types of the columns.  You
> described a problem when importing data into a "numberic field".  The
> precise data type of the column is rather important.
>
> Roy Harvey
> Beacon Falls, CT
>
> On 29 Jun 2006 16:45:48 -0700, "sql guy123" <stoppal@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by definition.  It's a table
> >in my database.  Does that answer your question, or do you need more?\
> >
> >thanks
> >

> >Roy Harvey wrote:
> >> What is the definition of dbo.table?

0
stoppal (49)

MS SQL Express Advanced vs MS SQL full version vs MySQL
I'm planning to transport a desktop application to the web. A spin-off of this application has already been put on the web by another programmer. He used ColdFusion with MS SQL, Access, VC, and Java. It is faster than the desktop application (written in VFP). 1. Can I get the same results using MS SQL Express Advanced and Access for the internet version if used with .net? 2. Are the select statements limited in power, accuracy, size, etc. for MS SQL Express Advanced when compared to SQL? 3. If Access will perform poorly, can VFP be used instead with .net? I already know it can't be used with ColdFusion. 4. If MS Express Advanced will not sufficiently replace SQL, will MySQL do the job better? Thanks On Jul 22, 5:31 pm, <wipeou...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I'm planning to transport a desktop application to the web. A spin-off of > this application has already been put on the web by another programmer. He > used ColdFusion with MS SQL, Access, VC, and Java. It is faster than the > desktop application (written in VFP). > 1. Can I get the same results using MS SQL Express Advanced and Access for > the internet version if used with .net? > 2. Are the select statements limited in power, accuracy, size, etc. for MS > SQL Express Advanced when compared to SQL? > 3. If Access will perform poorly, can VFP be used instead with .net? I > already know it can't be used with ColdFusion. 4. If MS Express Advanced > will not suffic...

MS Access conversion to MS SQL
Hi, I've been developing a database for a department in a local organisation. The database is in Microsoft Access and uses tables, queries, forms and reports. Written into the forms is vast amounts of visual basic. There are also a couple of macros. In the time I've been developing this database (a year now, as I went back to university, and then finished university and returned to finish off the DB) the organisation I've been working for have decided to start using MS SQL. The department I am working for aren't to happy as not only my database but most of theirs are in Access and no one seems to have actually used SQL or know anything much about it. Basically, I need to learn about how to convert from Access to SQL. I understand we use the upsizing wizard. I've managed to track down some of the rules I have to use in the conversion (like no spaces in names, no apostrophes etc), but I'd like to know if anyone could tell me more about the upsizing procedure. I'm also concerned about the vast amounts of forms I've made (It's a 109mb database with no data - all down to the forms!). What happens to these? Does SQL use forms, or will all of these be lost? And what about queries? Any information from someone who has knowledge of these things would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Stu. Hiya, An account of how I did it can be found at: http://www.cooldigitec.co.uk/NJW/15-AccessToSQLServer7.html Basically, 1. Close all database objects...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

MS SQL to MS Access Stored Proc. for Deletes
I have this stored procedure below that works great in SQL Server. The sql purges rows out of a table, leaving "x" # of rows in the table ("x" = s.RetainHistoryNum below). Now I need it to run in MS Access. The thing that throws me off is the multiple "from" statements. I have tried a dozen different queries, nothing seems to do the trick. Either I end up with an syntax error, or I end up with inaccurate results. Dan -------------------------------------------------- -Here is the stored proc I need to work in Access -------------------------------------------------- DELETE FROM ScheduleHistory FROM Schedule s WHERE ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ScheduleHistory sh WHERE sh.ScheduleID = ScheduleHistory.ScheduleID AND sh.ScheduleID = s.ScheduleID AND sh.StartDate >= ScheduleHistory.StartDate ) > s.RetainHistoryNum ---------------------------- -Here are the tables: ---------------------------- CREATE TABLE Schedule ( ScheduleID COUNTER CONSTRAINT PK_ScheduleID PRIMARY KEY, TypeFullName TEXT (200) NULL , TimeLapse INTEGER NULL , TimeLapseMeasurement TEXT (2) NULL , RetryTimeLapse INTEGER NULL , RetryTimeLapseMeasurement TEXT (2) NULL , RetainHistoryNum INTEGER NULL , AttachToEvent TEXT (50) NULL , CatchUpEnabled BIT NULL , Enabled BIT NULL , ObjectDependencies MEMO NULL); GO CREATE TABLE ScheduleHistory ( ScheduleHistoryID COUNTER CONSTRAINT PK_ScheduleHistoryID PRIMARY KEY, ScheduleID INT...

JDBC+Linux -> MS Access/MS SQL??
I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and Linux. I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to configure. Do anyone can give me a solution? Thanks Vincent You can try the jTDS driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtds), performs really good. Or you can buy some other jdbc driver for MS SQL Server. /Klas "Vincent Ho" <vincenthkh@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fb01e579.0308061746.3bf10a6b@posting.google.com... > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Vincent Ho wrote: > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Accessing SQL server from ...

copying data from MS-SQL to MS-Access using VB.Net
Hi there, I'm trying to use MSAccess as a "container" to move data around from one MS-SQL server DB to another. This is basically already a design decision that has been made for a lot of reasons and can't be changed by me. What I was wondering is what is the bet way to populate the MS-Access DB. The DB will only contain 6 tables which will have a very small amount of data in them. I have tried to use ADO.Net to read the data from MS-SQL into a DataTable and then save it into the MS-Access DB using again using a DataTable populated from the first, but I can't seem to ge...

Should I upgrade from MS Access 97 to MS Access 2002
Hi guys My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 for several years now. Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest version? And what does MS JET do? Kjell Arne Johansen MS Jet is the database engine that comes with, and is, by default, used by Microsoft Access. If you aren't having any troubles with the Access 97 database, then there isn't any technical reason to change. There may be company political reasons if, say, the IT department only wants to have one version of Access in-house. Another reason might be if you were concerned about getting support (error fix support) from Microsoft. Then again, when is the last time you had to call Microsoft support for this database? Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no... > Hi guys > > My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 > for several years now. > > Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other > parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest > version? > > And what does MS JET do? > > Kjell Arne Johansen "Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no... > Hi gu...

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

ODBC connection
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:23:48 +0200, "Kamyk" <marcinzmyslowski@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hello all! > >I have such question to all of you. >I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing >query >based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than >the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked >but >imported to MS Access? > >Can you answer this question? > >Thank you in advance for posts >Marcin from Poland. > That depends on a lot of things... The most obvious thing it depends on is the size of the result set. In a client/server arrangement, you want to keep result sizes down, and do aggregation and filtering on the server. Next, how many people will be sharing the back-end data. Access slows down as soon as 2 people are sharing a JET back-end, but the server won't have this limitation. On the other hand, if the server is too slow, or you're trying to use MSDE with more users than it's optimized for, the server will be slow. There are m...

General advice needed regarding MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL/PostgreSQL
I am working on two versions of an application, one of which will be a windows forms application (which will need to be redistributable) and the other will be a web application. I have MS Visual Studio 2005 (along with the developer's edition of MS SQL Server), but not MS Access. I also have MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sun's application server, Tomcat and Apache web server. I am working on Windows XP Pro, and have installed the .NET 3 SDK and all relevant related products I could find (e.g. 2 extensions packages for Visual Studio). I have one MS Access database, to which my users should have read only access. I have, and have used, a tool for importing MS Access databases into MySQL. I expect that SQL Server has a similar utility hidden somewhere (where I haven't yet looked, though I HAVE been looking - obviously in the wrong places). I have located a similar utility for importing MS Access databases into PostgreSQL. I have not yet decided which servers to use for the web version, but that is another story, for which I may raise another thread in due course (but I welcome suggestions which may reduce the effort required given required effort for the windows forms app). My problem is for the windows form aplication (intended for use by a single family). I expect to use ADO.NET. The question is, should I import the Access database into MS SQL, and redistribute it, along with MS SQL Server Express (or is that necessary), or distribute it just as an Access database a...

conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000
hi access gurus would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to be expected and how to handle it. also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, update and delete. thanx in advance, regards bala balkiicbe@yahoo.com (bala) wrote in message news:<b62a781b.0310080544.6d2a08fc@posting.google.com>... > hi access gurus > > would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms > access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to > be expected and how to handle it. > > also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms > access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, > update and delete. > > thanx in advance, > > regards > bala About the only thing that's seriously different when you upgrade from 97 to 2000 is that if you have any code behind your forms, 97 uses DAO and 2000 uses ADO, so the ADO library is registered by default in 2000. You'll just have to unregister it and register DAo 3.6 instead. Access should do the conversion for you... hi Pieter thanx for the information, well have used ADO in ms access 97 so i think the conversion shouldn't be a problem. take care and best of luck regards bala ...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Converting Format Function In MS Access SQL Query To Equivalent Oracle SQL
http://www.progneer.com/wp/information_more_public.aspx?search_fd0=132498 Stop that spamming! takveen@gmail.com wrote on 10.09.2010 18:50: > http://www.progneer.com/wp/information_more_public.aspx?search_fd0=132498 ...

MS Access vs SQL query
SELECT PERS_ROLE_HIST.ASGN_TS AS [Assignment Date], Trim(Pers.lst_nm) +" ,"+Trim(pers.fst_nm) AS Name, DIV.DIV_NM AS Division, PERS_ROLE_HIST.AUTH_REQ_ID AS [Order #], ROLE.ROLE_CD, PERS_ROLE_HIST.ASGN_TS, PERS_ROLE_HIST.UNASGN_TS, PERS.TERM_DT, PERS.PERS_ID FROM ROLE INNER JOIN ((PERS INNER JOIN DIV ON PERS.DIV_NBR = DIV.DIV_NBR) INNER JOIN PERS_ROLE_HIST ON PERS.PERS_ID = PERS_ROLE_HIST.PERS_ID) ON ROLE.ROLE_ID = PERS_ROLE_HIST.ROLE_ID WHERE (((PERS.PERS_ID)=)) ORDER BY PERS_ROLE_HIST.ASGN_TS, Trim(Pers.lst_nm) +" ,"+Trim(pers.fst_nm); Error: COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/6000] SQL0104N An unexpected token "[Assignment Date]" was found following "ROLE_HIST.ASGN_TS AS". Expected tokens may include: "<space>". SQLSTATE=42601 , SQL State: 42601, Error Code: -104 I know the "[]" brackets need to be removed. Tried it and I'm still receiving errors. The SQL thread only gave me the bracket response. No other responses. Hopefully, this can be resolved in here: What is need to be removed in order to run a SQL query from another tool besides MS Access? On Apr 6, 11:37 am, "Ty" <tyrone_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > SELECT PERS_ROLE_HIST.ASGN_TS AS [Assignment Date], Trim(Pers.lst_nm) > +" ,"+Trim(pers.fst_nm) AS Name, DIV.DIV_NM AS Division, > PERS_ROLE_HIST.AUTH_REQ_ID AS [Order #], ROLE.ROLE_CD, > PERS_ROLE_HIST.ASGN_TS, PERS_ROLE_HIST.UNASGN_TS, P...

MS Access Database right for us?
Hi -- we are a small manufacturing looking for a multi-user database to take customer orders (nothing too complicated, with 3 users total). We think we should be using Access, but are wondering what alternatives there are. It has been recommended to us to use ASP.net and SQL instead, with the reasoning that: 1) Access is likely to go obsolete at some point 2) It will be more stable Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Allison, Your situation sounds like an ideal task for Access. As for Access being obsolete anytime soon I don't see that happening. Access can handle 3 users no problem. I would recommend that you get the Access database setup by someone with some database experience as a poorly designed database regardless of the application could have problems. The ASP.net and SQL server options would require much more development time and money. Just my two cents... Good luck, -Joe "Allison" <marimbasherry@gmail.com> wrote in news:1140204889.603121.190570@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: > It has been recommended to us to use ASP.net and SQL > instead, with the reasoning that: > > 1) Access is likely to go obsolete at some point The person making the recommendations is clearly quite ignorant of reality. Microsoft has already invested a huge amount of work in the next version of Access, Access 12, which will be released as part of the next MS Office suite, which I expect to be released along with Windows Vista next year. From...

SQL Query vs MS Access
I have the MS access query below which uses an IIF statement to put a value in either the Owned Pallets or Rented Pallets field, how do I do this in SQL ?? ... SELECT KC_COPA1.[Posting date], KC_COPA1.SKUCode, KC_COPA1.HierLevel3Code, KC_COPA1.HierLevel5Code, KC_COPA1.LineNo, KC_COPA1.EndMarket, KC_COPA1.Dispenser, format(Sum(KC_COPA1.HA),"0.0000000000") AS Handling, format(Sum(KC_COPA1.ST),"0.0000000000") AS Storage, format(Sum(KC_COPA1.PF),"0.0000000000") AS [Primary Freight], format(Sum(KC_COPA1.IR),"0.0000000000") AS [InterRegion Freight], Format(Su...

MS SQL Linked Servers(Linking MySQL to MS SQL) Collation problem.
Hello, I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? P?vels Mihailovs (iceravenlv@gmail.com) writes: > I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a > table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and > the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL > server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive > question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. > Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? Since I don't work with MySQL myself, it's difficult to say what is going on. But if MySQL has a notion of collation, and the collation is ucs2_general_ci, it sounds like MySQL returns Unicode data. One would expect that to arrive unscathed. What is you collation on the SQL Server side? The stored procedure sp_serveroption permits you to set options for linked servers, and two of them relates to collations. You could play around with these and see what happens. Please look in Books Online for details. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/techn...

Web resources about - left() and right() function in MS SQL vs MS ACCESS - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Wave function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... (a ball attached to a spring ) in classical mechanics (A-B) and quantum mechanics (C-H). In quantum mechanics (C-H), the ball has a wave function ...

Eating chocolate 'improves brain function' - study
... news for those with a sweet tooth - a recent study has found that regular chocolate consumption is associated with better cognitive function. ...

Using Functions to Make Better Abstractions
... (code that is tightly coupled to its own implementation details). I was wrong. I was wrong because I had an incomplete understanding of functions. ...

Cisco launches new network functions virtualization infrastructure solution to help service providers ...
Al-Bawaba Cisco launches new network functions virtualization infrastructure solution to help service providers run network ... Al-Bawaba ...

Google Maps for iOS adds detour function, 3D touch support
Google has extended its pit-stop feature the ability to find places to stop off on journeys to iPhone and iPad users with the release of Google ...

LVMH's Hublot May Be Next Brand for Smart Functions, Biver Says
Hublot will probably be the next LVMH watch brand to add smart functions, following TAG Heuer’s footsteps in combining Swiss craftsmanship and ...

Yahoo Begins Grim Job of Closing Functions, Laying Off Staff
Yahoo Food is closing, and other digital magazines on tech, travel and beauty are also scheduled for closing or major cutbacks.

Engineers 3D Print Tissue That Mimics How The Human Liver Functions
Engineers say they have 3D printed life-like liver tissue that could be a new platform in the lab to test the efficacy of drugs saving pharmaceutical ...

A 3D Printed Jet Engine Appears to Function
... jet engine . You may remember seeing a 3D printed jet engine grace our front page back in October. That one was beautiful didn’t function . ...

Supreme Court Justices Can Still Function With Eight
... Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7990759] But as to whether the remaining Supreme Court justices will be able to function ...