Linked Server from SQL-Server 2000 to Oracle 8.1.7

We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed
the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from
SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS.

Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message:
"Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider
did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE
DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:
The provider did not give any information about the error]."

Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the
collation sequence, would affect the Linked Server
0
wotan_79 (5)

"wotan" <wotan_79@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed
> the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from
> SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS.
>
> Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message:
> "Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider
> did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE
> DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:
> The provider did not give any information about the error]."
>
> Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the
> collation sequence, would affect the Linked Server

I have no idea about the specific error, however this post may be useful
(note the links to KB articles at the bottom):

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=SCwAopMYDHA.2000%40cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl

Apart from that, the usual general comments apply - install the latest SQL
servicepack and MDAC version. It's not clear from your comments which
collation you changed - as far as I know, changing the default collation for
the instance requires you to reinstall completely or just rebuild master,
and that means it's very possible that other system-level configurations
were changed or lost.

Simon

0
sql (2120)
8/10/2004 4:42:17 PM
wotan_79@hotmail.com (wotan) wrote in message news:<e5fd30ef.0408100354.6e5ec7a0@posting.google.com>...
> We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed
> the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from
> SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS.
>
> Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message:
> "Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider
> did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE
> DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:
> The provider did not give any information about the error]."
>
> Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the
> collation sequence, would affect the Linked Server

I suggest You check syscolumns for any columns with individually
defined collations. Eventually some columns have different collations,
so JOIN statements will fail.
 If there are any, You can change the collation via the "collationid".
To be able to update a system table, you have to use:

exec sp_reconfigure 'allow update','1'
reconfigure with override
[put your sql statement here]
exec sp_reconfigure 'allow update','0'
reconfigure with override
wotan wrote:
> We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed
> the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from
> SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS.
>
> Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message:
> "Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider
> did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE
> DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005:
> The provider did not give any information about the error]."
>
> Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the
> collation sequence, would affect the Linked Server

Not an Oracle error so look on the SQL Server side.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

0
Daniel

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't know for sure. If it installs, it may still noe be supported. For SQL 2000 you need SP3 to run on Win 2003. That I know. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they do squirly things that often break stuff. Thanks -- Alex Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes: > We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM > work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise > Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or > anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 > Enterprise Manager. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions > of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they > do squirly things that often break stuff. There isn't any Enterpr...

Database link to a MS SQL Server 2000
Hi NG, we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines directly. Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? thanx abbas On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:13:02 +0200, "Abbas" <ar.newsgroup@web.de> wrote: >Hi NG, > >we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. > >There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines >directly. > >Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? > >thanx >abbas > Look into using Heterogeneous Services in your Net administrators manual. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Are you willing to install a bridge program to create this "link"? If so, then try www.examinstudio.com Do as Sybrand told you, look at the Heterogenous services of Oracle. Oracle even supports natively DRDA towards a DB2 z/OS mainframe, and they also support SQL Server. They all end-up like a database link with a totally quallified names in the "from" clause. Be aware of that distributed joins between different DBMS systems might cause huge performance problems, keep the functionality when dealing with multiple DBMS systems simple, no dist...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. Regards Kevin "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie > > The stored procedures probably won't be needed so that's ok. I think the difference may be because mssql server uses "transact sql" which is their version of sql statements. Did we really expect MS to play nicely! Can the database be attached/imported or would I have to create a delimited text file? Thanks again. "Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:UjL_b.22$mj7.1@newreader.ukcore.bt.net... > Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in > SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. > > Regards Kevin > > "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message > news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... >...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

Linking Oracle 8.0.5 and SQL Server 2000
Hello, I'm trying to find a way to update a table in SQL Server 2000 (NT) from Oracle 8.0.5 (NT). I cannot find Heterogeneous Services for 8.0.5 (it comes with 8.1.6 or later?), what would be the best approach to do this? Thanks in advance! Taka On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:15:25 GMT, "Taka" <tkajiyama@earthlink.net> wrote: >Hello, > >I'm trying to find a way to update a table in SQL Server 2000 (NT) from >Oracle 8.0.5 (NT). >I cannot find Heterogeneous Services for 8.0.5 (it comes with 8.1.6 or >later?), >what would be the best approach to do this? > >Thanks in advance! >Taka Upgrade to something supported in the current century. You could of course always dump the data to an interim csv file. There is a similar product for 8.0, Oracle Transparent Gateway, but I don't think Oracle will give you that. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA ...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > > The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject > line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server > site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would try select * from master..sysdatabases where databaseproperty(name, 'IsInRecovery') = 1 and see if that finds something. There are a couple of more properties for Databaseproperty that you should search for. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Jan 30, 5:30 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes: > > > While I was out of the office the Lan Team ...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Sql Server 2000 linked server to Access 97/2000 incompatability
We are experiencing a problem with Sql Server 2000 linking to an Access 97 file. We have two machines that link to this .mdb file, and we recently upgraded one to newer hardware, SP3a, MDAC 2.8, etc. The link on this upgraded machine no longer works, giving this message: Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' reported an error. [OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application.] OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' IDBInitialize::Initialize r...

Restore SQL Server 6.5 database in SQL Server 2000
Hi, Do you know if it is possible to restore database (backup) from SQL Server 6.5 in SQL Server 2000? Best Regards, Wojtek -- (Remove bez.syfu get my e-mail address) ...

linked server from sql 7 to ms access 2000 ... some tables not available
Hi, I have a linked server in sql 7 that connects to a ms access 2000 database. It has been working for a while, however lately, after we imported a large amount of new data, the database fails to query a certain (large number of records) table. I can query and get responses for every other table except the largest table. select top 5 * from linkeddatabase...table I get this error message. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForData (CheckforData()). [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation. Connection Broken I called a collegue and he suggested removing the primary key index (which was multi field), creating an autonumber field and making it the primary key, and then building a unique index on the two fields that were formerly the primary key to insure the data stayed unique. This index restructing fixed the problem. (Thanks Joe!) Justin ...

Can SQL Server 7.0 handle a SQL Server 2000 mdf?
I've got MSDE, SQL Server 7.0, installed. I want to handle an .mdf developed by someone else so I loaded the .mdf into my /DATA folder. But, MSDE/ODBC can't see the database. I subsequently discovered that it was created using SQL Server 2000. Is this the reason that my MSDE 7.0 doesn't see the .mdf? If so, how can I use this database with my 7.0? Backup from 2000, restore to 7.0? Thanks for any help. Mike Watson (mike@connectingsoftware.it) writes: > I've got MSDE, SQL Server 7.0, installed. I want to handle an .mdf > developed by someone else so I loaded the .mdf into my /DATA folder. > But, MSDE/ODBC can't see the database. I subsequently discovered that > it was created using SQL Server 2000. Is this the reason that my MSDE > 7.0 doesn't see the .mdf? If so, how can I use this database with my > 7.0? Backup from 2000, restore to 7.0? Well, there's actually two problems here. The fact that MSDE/ODBC can't see the database has nothing to do with the versions of SQL Server. Putting a file into your data directory has no effect. You would have to do sp_attach_db to make the database available. And for sp_attach_db the .mdf is not sufficient; you would need the log file too. There is sp_attach_single_file_db for this situation, but the database must have been shut down cleanly for this. (Well, this applies to sp_attach_db as well as I recall.) But for all this to work, the target server must be the same version or later t...

MS SQL Linked Servers(Linking MySQL to MS SQL) Collation problem.
Hello, I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? P?vels Mihailovs (iceravenlv@gmail.com) writes: > I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a > table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and > the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL > server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive > question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. > Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? Since I don't work with MySQL myself, it's difficult to say what is going on. But if MySQL has a notion of collation, and the collation is ucs2_general_ci, it sounds like MySQL returns Unicode data. One would expect that to arrive unscathed. What is you collation on the SQL Server side? The stored procedure sp_serveroption permits you to set options for linked servers, and two of them relates to collations. You could play around with these and see what happens. Please look in Books Online for details. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/techn...

Linked Server Limit in SQL Server 2000
I am about to start working on a project where I would be required to dynamically create linked servers during the execution of an application. One of the requirements is for the Link Servers to be created and dropped before and after the retrieval of the data. My question is about any type of cap on the number of linked servers SQL Server 2000 can have registered at any single time. If I find out that there is some type of cap, I would need to look into another way to deal with my linked server needs. Thanks for any help/information you might be able to provide. TBlair (tblair23221@yahoo.com) writes: > I am about to start working on a project where I would be required to > dynamically create linked servers during the execution of an > application. One of the requirements is for the Link Servers to be > created and dropped before and after the retrieval of the data. My > question is about any type of cap on the number of linked servers SQL > Server 2000 can have registered at any single time. If I find out that > there is some type of cap, I would need to look into another way to > deal with my linked server needs. Thanks for any help/information you > might be able to provide. I have no idea whether there are any restriction, but since a linked server is really just an alias which is being looked up in sysservers at run time, it is not likely that there should be an issue. But, hm, what is there is a numeric id in sysservers? Ah, there is, and...

Oracle DB to MS Sql Server DB Replication question...via Sql Server Views??
Hi, I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not allowed to configure or change the db). We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to query the Oracle database. With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the delta for subsequent replications? Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! Thanx, Doemon doemon@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look > into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: > We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not > allowed to configure or change the db). > We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to > query the Oracle database. > > With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can > we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another > Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the > delta for subsequent replications? > > Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! > I don't know the answer to the second question, nor your versions, but the first sh...

Patching Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1
Hello, my configuration is Windows 2K Server SP4 and Oracle 8.1.7.0.0. Where can i find a patch to upgrade to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 Many thanks for your attention -- Sitta many thanks!!!! Have a nice work "Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1106137485.286119.307110@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > Sitta Davide wrote: >> Hello, >> my configuration is >> >> Windows 2K Server SP4 and Oracle 8.1.7.0.0. >> >> Where can i find a patch to upgrade to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 >> >> >> Many thanks for your attention >> >> -- >> >> Sitta > > http://metalink.oracle.com > > Regards > /Rauf > ...

Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL Server on another machine.
I'm Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL Server on another machine. Can anyone suggest some good reference material or tutorials?? So far I'm only finding examples for a linked server to an ACCESS database. Thanks in Advance! gdev (paul.afamdi.okeke@gmail.com) writes: > I'm Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL > Server on another machine. > > Can anyone suggest some good reference material or tutorials?? So far > I'm only finding examples for a linked server to an ACCESS database. There are plenty of examples in the topic for sp_addlinkedserver. In many cases, it is as simple as: exec sp_addlinkedserver THATSERVEROVERHERE exec sp_serverioption THATSERVEROVERTHERE, 'data access', true Authentication does not always work though, and in this case sp_addlinkedsrvlogin comes to the rescue. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx ...

Running Oracle 8.1.x and Oracle 9i on same Windows 2000 Server
I'm attempting to run an Oracle 8.1.7 database and and Oracle 9i database on the same Windows 2000 Server. Before doing this has anyone ran this configuration and are there any things I must watch out for prior to installing the Oracle 9i software? Thanks for the assistance. David David wrote: > I'm attempting to run an Oracle 8.1.7 database and and Oracle 9i database > on the same Windows 2000 Server. > > Before doing this has anyone ran this configuration and are there any > things I must watch out for prior to installing the Oracle 9i software? > > Thanks for the assistance. > David Environment variables Multiple Oracle Homes Lack of resources It can be done. Many have done it. It still isn't a good idea if it can be avoided. And please, in the future, do NOT cross-post. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) ...

Running ORACLE 8.1.7 & ORACLE 9.2 on the same UNIX server
Hi, I have recently installed ORACLE 9.2 Database on a UNIX server (2.8) which already has ORACLE 8.1.7. They have both a different SID and ORACLE_BASE. However I am having to use the ORACLE 8 listener for both ORACLE databases. Is it possible to run separate ORACLE 8 and ORACLE 9 listeners? Hello, There are no difficulty to use 2 listeners on the same machine. The point is that default listener used to listen on port 1521 (or 1526). You will have to change your listener configuration( netasst or by hand) in order to use a different port number, a different listener name and communicate it to your users for their tnsnames.ora. LSNR8I = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(Host= machine)(Port= 1110)) ) Generally what I do is to create 1 listener per Oracle Version. After that, for starting listeners you'll have to launch lsnrctl start LSNR8I ou lsnrctl start LSNR9I I am used to name listeners with different names since 8i because you have the autoregistration stuff and with 2 listeners with the same name, you are not sure on which the database will register (or using le local_listener init parm). Regs, Olivier jonathan.johnston@bt.com (Jonathan Johnston) wrote in message news:<5e07fa5.0406080037.67d595a9@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > > I have recently installed ORACLE 9.2 Database on a UNIX server (2.8) > which already has ORACLE 8.1.7. They have both a different SID and > ...

Oracle 8.1 on 2000 server
Oracle 8.1 is installed as part of my app on Windows 2000 server. Fast question is should the app and oracle be stopped when applying patches to Windows 2000 server? My concern is that the patching process may interupt Oracle services. Mike mmccaws2 wrote: > Oracle 8.1 is installed as part of my app on Windows 2000 server. Fast > question is should the app and oracle be stopped when applying patches > to Windows 2000 server? My concern is that the patching process may > interupt Oracle services. > > > Mike Many Windows Updates will require a reboot to fully install. The best practice is to issue a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE before installing Windows Updates. Charles Hooper PC Support Specialist K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. mmccaws2 wrote: > Oracle 8.1 is installed as part of my app on Windows 2000 server. Fast > question is should the app and oracle be stopped when applying patches > to Windows 2000 server? My concern is that the patching process may > interupt Oracle services. > > > Mike Sometimes I wish that I could just sit back on 8.1.7.4.x on w2k and not have to deal with issues like negative elapsed values for wait events on x86-64 capable processors on w2k3 r2 and ora-7445s on updates against instead of triggers on 10.2 that necessitate setting optimizer_features_enable=10.1.0 as a work-around. Oh yeah, and issues with cursor_sharing != 'exact' when upgrading to 10.2. I wouldn't want to forget that. ...

SQL Server 2000 linked server to Db2 on z/OS
Can somebody point me to the right direction how to create a linked server to db2 on z/OS using ODBC drivers or OLEDB providers that are free. thanks ...

Running MS Access db as a Linked Server on SQL Server
Hi, Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no one wants to touch. I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, (Location, Catalog)? Thanks a bunch. This might help; note the table about halfway down that includes the connection options for various sources. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190479.aspx Stu maxvalery@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked > server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL > Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no > one wants to touch. > > I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. > > So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link > Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection > strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider > String, (Location, Catalog)? > > Thanks a bunch. ...

Web resources about - Linked Server from SQL-Server 2000 to Oracle 8.1.7 - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Microsoft SQL Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft . As a database, it is a software product whose primary ...

Puppet unveils Windows Microsoft SQL Server module
... software company Puppet Labs has launched a range of new products to manage Windows environments. The new Puppet Supported Microsoft SQL Server ...

SQL Server best practices on Tintri - stand-alone instances
Computerworld Australia is the leading source of technology news, analysis and tools for IT decision makers, managers and professionals. ...

Microsoft updates cloud-based SQL Server to simplify management
Microsoft has added automated backup and patching for SQL Server databases running in virtual machines on its Azure cloud, in a bid to simplify ...

Price Drop: SQL Server Mobile Database Client
SQL Server Mobile Database Client 6.0.3 Device: iOS Universal Category: Productivity Price: Free, Version: 6.0.3 ( iTunes ) Description: Browse, ...

SQL Server for Linux coming in mid-2017
... executive vice president of the Cloud and Enterprise Group, announced today that next year Microsoft will be releasing a version of SQL Server ...

Microsoft Shares Gain 1.5% as Nadella Announces Launch of SQL Server 2014
Shares of Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) are vastly outperforming the Nasdaq in Tuesday's trading, up 1.5 percent to $39.77. News crossed the wires ...

Microsoft brings SQL Server to Linux
... and with other companies following suit, reliance on server solutions has increased. Today the company announces that it is bringing SQL Server ...

Microsoft to cut off support for SQL Server 2005
Announcement made in a blog post. Announcement made in a blog post. Microsoft announced today that it will end support for SQL Server 2005 on ...

What end of support for SQL Server 2005 means for CIOs
Microsoft’s support for SQL Server 2005 ends in April and just like with Server 2003, you should take the end-of-life announcements from Microsoft ...