Ms Access upload to SQL Server 2005 BE & Sharepoint FE

I have about 20 Ms Access Databases to need to be upload onto a SQL Server
2005.

Currently the are on a network/server residing on a specific drive. The goal
is to keep the user face the same (ms access) and put all of the tables onto
a SQL Server 2005 BE, and yet make those databases accessible to open/view
through Ms Sharepoint.

What is the simple (properties) way to grab all of those db's = 20 and upload
to server?
With out having to write code.
Pull all db's over to SQL then store the Ms Access databases on Sharepoint
where the user face remains the same and the tables are on the server and the
db's are accessible now through the company Intranet.

Anns

The goal:

Take all current production Access Databases and/or any new development be
converted or newly developed in the .NET environment.
This means that we will store all data tables on SQL Server and develop all
front-end user interfaces in VB.NET or C# as browser based web applications.

So I use the DTS or IS (2005) to export/import all the tables from each ms
access db we have into the SQL Server 2005, but I want to keep the same user
faces that were originally created with those ms access db using the native
jet engines.

Using the VB.NET or C# as browswer based web applications, how can I upload
the already existing FE to Sharepoint (Web Base) and keep the FE the same and
of course the BE tables will now reside on SQL?

Anns wrote:
>I have about 20 Ms Access Databases to need to be upload onto a SQL Server
>2005.
>
>Currently the are on a network/server residing on a specific drive. The goal
>is to keep the user face the same (ms access) and put all of the tables onto
>a SQL Server 2005 BE, and yet make those databases accessible to open/view
>through Ms Sharepoint.
>
>What is the simple (properties) way to grab all of those db's = 20 and upload
>to server?
>With out having to write code.
>Pull all db's over to SQL then store the Ms Access databases on Sharepoint
>where the user face remains the same and the tables are on the server and the
>db's are accessible now through the company Intranet.

Anns
6/21/2006 3:45:00 PM
Referencing my statement: Using the VB.NET or C# as browswer based web
applications

What I meant to ask is, is there way to achieve the below with out having to
know or write in the above languages? Is there a property setting or tool
that can upload the existing FE to Sharepoint with out having to create in
the above languages?

Anns wrote:
>The goal:
>
>Take all current production Access Databases and/or any new development be
>converted or newly developed in the .NET environment.
>This means that we will store all data tables on SQL Server and develop all
>front-end user interfaces in VB.NET or C# as browser based web applications.
>
>So I use the DTS or IS (2005) to export/import all the tables from each ms
>access db we have into the SQL Server 2005, but I want to keep the same user
>faces that were originally created with those ms access db using the native
>jet engines.
>
>Using the VB.NET or C# as browswer based web applications, how can I upload
>the already existing FE to Sharepoint (Web Base) and keep the FE the same and
>of course the BE tables will now reside on SQL?
>

>>I have about 20 Ms Access Databases to need to be upload onto a SQL Server
>>2005.
>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>where the user face remains the same and the tables are on the server and the
>>db's are accessible now through the company Intranet.

Anns

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they do squirly things that often break stuff. Thanks -- Alex Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes: > We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM > work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise > Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or > anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 > Enterprise Manager. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions > of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they > do squirly things that often break stuff. There isn't any Enterpr...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

MS-Access 2003 & SQL Server
I have a form in a Access Project (SQL DB on the back end). On this form I have created a Combo box that pulls a list of dept and dept #'s from the DEPT table, and displays the dept name in the Combo box. I tried a view instead of a table but the Combo box would not update. On this form I also have a sub form. The sub form has on it, among other things, the following fields; SVCCODE, SVCODE TOTAL. I also have hidden on the sub form a GLCODE and GLDESC fields. What I need to happen is when the Main form Combo box is changed to a new dept desc, let say Radiology, I want the subform to display the radiology SVCCODE's only. What is actually happening is when the form opens a list of SVCCODES are displayed, I am not sure what they are connected to, and when I choose a dept name from the combo box the SVCCODE's display, on the subform, the department list of service codes. For example when I open the form, the subform starts off with the list of service codes I mentioned above and the Combo box is blank, but then when I change to a different department, in the combo box on the main form, the subform does not display those SVCCODE records correlating to the main forms combo box, instead it displays the SVCCODE's for the department in the list from the department table. So if I change to Radiology, it does not care and displays the BLOOD BANK SVCCODE's, those being the next department. One side note I can hit enter with the Combo box highlight...

MS Access & SQL Database for JPEGS
I'm trying to create a web accessed JPEG database for all of my p 0 r m pics. Anybody know where to start? The site I'm interested in putting in an Access database is at the link below: Don't click on this link unless you want to be seriously offended. http://www.tubgirl.com ...

ODBC connection
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:23:48 +0200, "Kamyk" <marcinzmyslowski@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hello all! > >I have such question to all of you. >I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing >query >based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than >the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked >but >imported to MS Access? > >Can you answer this question? > >Thank you in advance for posts >Marcin from Poland. > That depends on a lot of things... The most obvious thing it depends on is the size of the result set. In a client/server arrangement, you want to keep result sizes down, and do aggregation and filtering on the server. Next, how many people will be sharing the back-end data. Access slows down as soon as 2 people are sharing a JET back-end, but the server won't have this limitation. On the other hand, if the server is too slow, or you're trying to use MSDE with more users than it's optimized for, the server will be slow. There are m...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

General advice needed regarding MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL/PostgreSQL
I am working on two versions of an application, one of which will be a windows forms application (which will need to be redistributable) and the other will be a web application. I have MS Visual Studio 2005 (along with the developer's edition of MS SQL Server), but not MS Access. I also have MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sun's application server, Tomcat and Apache web server. I am working on Windows XP Pro, and have installed the .NET 3 SDK and all relevant related products I could find (e.g. 2 extensions packages for Visual Studio). I have one MS Access database, to which my users should have read only access. I have, and have used, a tool for importing MS Access databases into MySQL. I expect that SQL Server has a similar utility hidden somewhere (where I haven't yet looked, though I HAVE been looking - obviously in the wrong places). I have located a similar utility for importing MS Access databases into PostgreSQL. I have not yet decided which servers to use for the web version, but that is another story, for which I may raise another thread in due course (but I welcome suggestions which may reduce the effort required given required effort for the windows forms app). My problem is for the windows form aplication (intended for use by a single family). I expect to use ADO.NET. The question is, should I import the Access database into MS SQL, and redistribute it, along with MS SQL Server Express (or is that necessary), or distribute it just as an Access database a...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

Why upgrade to MS SQL Server (be it 2000 or 2005) from Access (say, 97)?
Probably this question has been asked hundreds of times and yet net search has not generated satisfactory enough answer, at least, to me. And OK, let's assume your organization has more than 200 employees, just one measure to indicate that it's not small and data processing needs are quite extensive (for both OLTP and OLAP). We've heard so much about concurrency support, stability and performance. Are there any real persuasive paper out there to talk about it? Now, let me also put it in another perspective, say, you're a Microsoft sql server sales guy or gal for that matte...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

MS Access conversion to MS SQL
Hi, I've been developing a database for a department in a local organisation. The database is in Microsoft Access and uses tables, queries, forms and reports. Written into the forms is vast amounts of visual basic. There are also a couple of macros. In the time I've been developing this database (a year now, as I went back to university, and then finished university and returned to finish off the DB) the organisation I've been working for have decided to start using MS SQL. The department I am working for aren't to happy as not only my database but most of theirs are in Access and no one seems to have actually used SQL or know anything much about it. Basically, I need to learn about how to convert from Access to SQL. I understand we use the upsizing wizard. I've managed to track down some of the rules I have to use in the conversion (like no spaces in names, no apostrophes etc), but I'd like to know if anyone could tell me more about the upsizing procedure. I'm also concerned about the vast amounts of forms I've made (It's a 109mb database with no data - all down to the forms!). What happens to these? Does SQL use forms, or will all of these be lost? And what about queries? Any information from someone who has knowledge of these things would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Stu. Hiya, An account of how I did it can be found at: http://www.cooldigitec.co.uk/NJW/15-AccessToSQLServer7.html Basically, 1. Close all database objects...

Database migration from Sybase ASE 12.x to MS SQL Server 2005
Hi, We are going to be migrating an application and the first step is to migration the Sybase database to SQL Server 2005 database. Can anyone shed some light into this and help me understand the process involved? What are the possible pitfalls? What should the approach be? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, Newbie Bad move ...

Loads of errors when querying MS SQL Server Express 2005 from Access 2007
Hi, I wonder if you could help - I have an SQL server database with four tables... I have a 'tblContact': ContactID,FirstName,LastName 101,Peter,Smith 102,John,Crow 103,Ed,Bye 104,Stuart,Jones I have a =91tblClient=92: ClientID,CompanyName 201,XYZCom 202,ABCCom I have a =91bltClientContactLinkTable=92: ContactID,ClientID, PositionID 101,201,301 102,201, 301 103,202, 302 104,202,302 And fiinally a tblPosition: PositionID,Description 301,Manager 302,Director The query below (when run through a Query Analyser connected diretly to the SQL server) displays the first and last name of all contacts along with the company they work for and the position the hold. If they don't have a position it returns 'no position'. SELECT tblClient.CompanyName, tblContact.FirstName, tblContact.LastName, coalesce(tblPosition.Description, 'no position') as Description FROM tblContactClientLinkTable INNER JOIN tblContact ON (tblContact.ContactID =3D tblContactClientLinkTable.ContactID) INNER JOIN tblClient ON (tblClient.ClientID =3D tblContactClientLinkTable.ClientID) LEFT JOIN tblPosition ON (tblContactClientLinkTable.PositionID =3D tblPosition.PositionID) GROUP BY tblClient.CompanyName, tblContact.FirstName, tblContact.LastName, tblPosition.Description ORDER BY tblClient.CompanyName However, If I connect to the server from Access so I can actually edit the data easily I get problems Once I'd added all the tables I need (through ODBC linked table), prefixed eac...

Web resources about - Ms Access upload to SQL Server 2005 BE & Sharepoint FE - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Home - SharePoint Buzz
Turn on more accessible mode Turn off more accessible mode Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content To navigate through the Ribbon, use standard ...

Sharepoint Outlook Email Solution - EmailFiler
Tired of uploading emails to SharePoint one by one? EmailFiler is a SharePoint email solution that lets you drag emails to SharePoint from within ...

SharePoint Magazine
Your Premier Source for SharePoint Information

Microsoft SharePoint Workspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2010 (14.0.4761.1000) / June 15, 2010 ; 3 years ago ( 2010-06-15 ) where different organizations do not share a common security infrastructure ...

SharePoint - Collaboration Software for the Enterprise
SharePoint collaboration software helps simplify business intelligence, content management, search, and sharing for intranet and internet sites. ...

Formotus: Business forms for data collection and SharePoint on the App Store on iTunes
Get Formotus: Business forms for data collection and SharePoint on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Todd Klindt's SharePoint Podcast 253 - Long Time Listener First Time Caller - YouTube
In tonight's podcast I talk a lot about Windows 10. How to install it, where to install it, ways it won't let me install it, the whole gamut. ...

International Airlines Group deploys Office 365 - IAG, lync, Sharepoint, Yammer, chief information officer ...
The International Airlines Group (IAG) has deployed Microsoft Office 365 as its business communication solution to enable anytime, anywhere collaboration ...

Six Reasons to Empower Your SharePoint Citizen Developers - CIO
Information Technology strategy insight for senior IT management - resources to understand and leverage information technology.

SharePoint-Yammer integration promising, but a long-term plan - applications, Microsoft, Yammer, software ...
CIOs and IT managers tracking the progress of the SharePoint-Yammer integration got more details about the road map this week, but the updates ...